• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

REVOLVER360(Indie SHMUPS title for XBL)

Searched, and didn't find a damn thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtPh_YCgQ1g

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm10243128

Don't have a Nico account? go here

Revolver 360 is a 3d horizontal shooter that will be out around May.

-Game development is only 30%
-it is a horizontal scrolling, but you can move in a sort of 360 motion
-So far the scoring system is a laser that cancels bullets
-The game will not cost more than 240 points

Info originally posted by HUU from the shmups forums.

Mik2121

This reminds me of a couple games. For one, Paper Mario for the Wii, but also that PS3 or PSP (forgot which one? PSP I guess?) game where you have to climb some tower and you move in a 2D environment but you can rotate the camera around to make certain elements become part of the foreground, side or background, therefore making impossible jumps, possible.

Mik2121 said:
This reminds me of a couple games. For one, Paper Mario for the Wii, but also that PS3 or PSP (forgot which one? PSP I guess?) game where you have to climb some tower and you move in a 2D environment but you can rotate the camera around to make certain elements become part of the foreground, side or background, therefore making impossible jumps, possible.
crush? echochrome?

BumRush

maybe the wrong forum but hopefully you can help out. I always shy away from shmup games (and threads for that matter) because they are usually punishingly difficult. I love most other genres but have never gotten into this particular one. I own a PS3, a 360 and a PS2. Any recommendations for a beginner? Thanks in advance!

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
BumRush said:
maybe the wrong forum but hopefully you can help out. I always shy away from shmup games (and threads for that matter) because they are usually punishingly difficult. I love most other genres but have never gotten into this particular one. I own a PS3, a 360 and a PS2. Any recommendations for a beginner? Thanks in advance!

Try Ikaruga and Triggerheart Exelica on XBLA, both great games.

BumRush said:
Castle Of Shikigami 2-PS2
Omega5-XBL
And that German Name SHMUP for the PSN(Forgot the name, lol)

Those 3 games are not that hard.

Label said:
Try Ikaruga and Triggerheart Exelica on XBLA, both great games.

Did you just recommend Ikaruga to a beginner? A bit sadistic, don't you think? :lol

I'd say go with a PC game Tyrian (presuming you have a PC). It's fun, not very hard, and it's free, but I'm not sure how it runs on today's PCs.

Or you could get Taito Legends 2 for your PS2, there are some good classic examples of the genre on it.

Mik2121

_dementia said:
crush? echochrome?
Neither. Echocrome is quite different too, even if it also plays with rotating the camera to bring stuff closer to you.

I just can't remember the goddamn name of the game I was talking about :(

BumRush

Thanks everyone! I'll download those after work. Haha just looked up Ikaruga and it's NOT recommended for beginners...maybe after I play a few others...

epmode

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Did you just recommend Ikaruga to a beginner? A bit sadistic, don't you think? :lol
It really isn't. An Ikaruga 1CC isn't ridiculously difficult when compared to most other current shooters.

Rad-

Mik2121 said:

That sounds exactly like Fez but it's a XBLA game.

epmode said:
It really isn't. An Ikaruga 1CC isn't ridiculously difficult when compared to most other current shooters.

That's because most current shooters are bullet hell shooters designed to satisfy the hardcore (because, sadly, that's the only audience that's left). I would suggest none of those to a beginner, Ikaruga included.

IMO Bullet-hells are a helluva lot easier than quite a few of the "classic" shooters.

Yeah and Ikaruga might be an easy 1CC on the easy setting but your score will suck for a long time until you painstakingly memorize every inch of the game. Not sure how something like that can be recommended to beginners.

epmode

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
That's because most current shooters are bullet hell shooters designed to satisfy the hardcore (because, sadly, that's the only audience that's left). I would suggest none of those to a beginner, Ikaruga included.
I'm not sure what else you'd suggest. None of those old shooters are very easy to 1CC either.

They're designed to be replayed. And replayed. And replayed. Even the earliest ones.
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Yeah and Ikaruga might be an easy 1CC on the easy setting but your score will suck for a long time until you painstakingly memorize every inch of the game. Not sure how something like that can be recommended to beginners.
Playing for score is overrated.

And it's not like 75% of the other shooters out there aren't equally anal when it comes to a scoring system.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
REMEMBER CITADEL said:

Weell it is not too hard on easy, he can work his way up!

Really though I wanted to suggest Omega 5, but forgot the name.

epmode said:
I'm not sure what else you'd suggest. None of those old shooters are very easy to 1CC either.

They're designed to be replayed. And replayed. And replayed. Even the earliest ones.

Tyrian and many other Western shoot 'em ups really aren't. There's quite a difference in design philosophies between Japanese and Western shmups, mostly thanks to the fact that Japanese shooters used to be designed for arcades first and foremost. Their Western counterparts, however, were often developed for home computers (and later PCs) only. Not that some of them weren't hard as well, but on average, I'd say they were quite a bit easier.

Compared to modern bullet hell games, classic shooters were definitely simpler, if not exactly easier. Less emphasis on bullet patterns, no need to learn bullet deflection and other similar stuff, less complex scoring systems... For the most part it was just shoot, collect weapons and avoid being hit.

Bumping thread for the evening crowd. This is what HUU said on the SHMUPS forums

HUU said:
Thx again for the comments !I talked with kuroro today ... and I got some news.He is working on different bullet pattern (in the video there was only 1type of pattern) and also some level design will change...At this point, he is testing many things ... so more definitive changement are coming.I asked him for a screenshot , so we can see the graphic better (the screenshot is still from the game at 30% development)

From that screenshot, it looks like homeboy went a little "Bloom" crazy. Hopefully, is just a bad screenshot. Regardless, I'm getting this day one.

Mik2121 said:

sounds like owl boy

Top Bottom