• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indies of E3

Alastor3

Sources: Game Informer
indiedb

The Artful Escape

ArtfulEscape_5F00_Screenshot_5F00_1_5F00_610.jpg

Being an artist is a creative journey, and The Artful Escape taps into that philosophy in an imaginative way. Playing as young musician Francis Vendetti, you help him discover his stage persona by traveling through the cosmos and multi dimensional worlds. With the power of his guitar, you conquer enemies in musical rhythmic battles and strum your instrument to fly across chasms in a beam of light.
Trailer

Ashen

ashentrailer.jpg

Ashen, players are dumped into a sprawling, open world that doesn't have a sun. The only light comes from illuminated ash that covers the dangerous world, which is inspired by The Road by Cormac McCarthy. You control a lonely traveler in this third-person action title, but the hook of Ashen is that your character probably isn't alone for long. Passive multiplayer permeates the experience as the team at Aurora44 wanted to design a game that simulates the experience of meeting a stranger and working together; much like the multiplayer in Journey, you don't know who you're playing with, and you only have small gestures to communicate with the other character.
Trailer

Battle Chasers: Nightwar

party610.jpg

Combination of classic D&D-inspired storytelling, isometric action exploration, and JRPG-inspired combat that has us very eager for the game’s October debut. The team is clearly in a phase of adding in bells and whistles; we witnessed a new fishing mini-game which looks like a great diversion. Joe Madureira’s signature visual style suffuses the game – just icing on the cake for an RPG we have very high hopes for as it rounds the corner into the final months of development.
Trailer

A Case of Distrust

Inspired by Raymond Chandler stories and the artwork of Saul Bass, A Case of Distrust is a noir mystery based in 1924 San Francisco. You're private investigator Phyllis Malone, an outlier in the prohibition era, and the gameplay centers around making story-based conversation choices and point-and-click investigations. Trip up characters in interrogation contradictions, navigate a world of underground speakeasies, and run with the wrong crowd in this stylized take on a classic genre.
Trailer

Dauntless

DauntlessE32017_2D00_020517_2D00_610.jpg

While we wait for Monster Hunter: World, Dauntless should be up to the task of offering elaborate hunts of imposing beasts. Though it looks brighter and more cheerful than its competition, it looks to have most of the depth: Each of the many weapon types has its own move set, with light, heavy, and special attacks: A set of chained sickles can fire off attacks quickly up close, or pick away at enemies from afar more slowly. A giant hammer, meanwhile, may double as a shotgun. The mission design is more focused, though there are resources to gather and other critters to hunt down while you chase giant lizards, owls, and more to cut off their tails. Between missions, you can equip various sets of weapons and armor you get from hunts, with a few having elemental resistances. The game will soon be going into an open beta, which should act as a great appetizer before the real hunt begins.
Trailer

Donut County

DonutCounty_5F00_Screenshot_5F00_3_5F00_610.jpg

Donut County is a physics-based adventure game where you control a hole in the ground. Through a sequence of levels, you move around this hole in different environments as it progressively gets larger, and you attempt to swallow up every object (and animal) in sight. Donut County is a fictional town heavily based off of Los Angeles, where anthropomorphic animals live. However, all its inhabitants now live underground following an apocalypse, where a giant hole swallowed up their homes and everything they knew. You unravel what happened by switching between present day and flashbacks.
Trailer

Frostpunk

Frostpunk610.jpg

Frostpunk brings the oppressive tone and desperate decision-making of developer 11-bit’s previous game, This War of Mine, to the city-building sim. Rather than figure out where you want to build municipal pipelines, you manage the harsh push-and-pull of finding the most efficient way to have your survivors huddled around heat in a frozen wasteland, and making sure you have enough people working at a given time to sustain the entire populace. To build up your ramshackle settlement quickly enough to survive, you may have to force workers to work debilitating 24-hour shifts, or let children risk their lives working for you. These decisions push your morality to its limits for the sake of productivity, which could make for an captivating, draining adventure when the game releases later this year.
Trailer

Indivisble

Indiv003.png

Any doubts we had about Indivisible’s mix of Metroid-style roaming and tactical, Valkyrie Profile-style turn-based combat disappeared the moment we got our hands on it. The view flows from exploration to combat seamlessly, and battles require a lot of your attention. Each party member is mapped to a face button on your controller, and blocking enemies’ attacks by pressing each member’s button at the right time is key to survival. It also employs a fun combo system, in which characters can attack simultaneously and multiple times. The longer you can maintain the offensive with a string of attacks, the more super meter you build, letting fire off super attacks more quickly. The game’s art style is also stunning, which shouldn’t be a surprise considering Indivisible comes from the same team who brought Skullgirls’ vibrant cast to life.
Trailer

Kingsway

Kingsway is a unique RPG that takes the form of a fictional operating system straight out of the '90s. Monsters appear in pop-ups, quests are emails, and your inventory is stored in file folders on your desktop. While on your quest for adventure, you also manage several windows as you prepare for the next fight. One of these windows is the World Navigator, where you can maneuver through the fantasy world. Kingsway depends on being organized and multitasking, and keeping an eye on the many windows you have up while enemies attack you.
Trailer

Matterfall

matter610.jpg

The studio behind the arcade masterpiece, Resogun, is back at it with a new fast-paced shooter, this time with platforming added into the mix of blasting and dashing. The game stars a futuristic soldier as she makes her way across a landscape of endless energy blasts, bullets, and damaging red matter. As this super-soldier, the player must leap and fire their way through the action, and like Housemarque’s best games, the only way to success is constant motion, quick reactions, and an attitude of charging directly into the thick of the fighting. […] The pace is frantic, and the complex controls take some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, Matterfall looks to be ready to scratch that itch for fast, intense, score-focused arcade-style action.
Trailer

Minit

0842.minit.jpeg

Minit’s basic premise is simple: a hero finds a cursed sword on a beach that kills him once every 60 seconds, so he must travel the land to discover a way to rid himself of this unusual anathema. Minit has a simple aesthetic reminiscent of older black and white PC games, but I found it to be incredibly charming. While each play through only lasts a minute, you get to keep any new items and power-ups you find throughout the world, which helps you slowly unlock new areas. On one run-through, I found a key which unlocked a lighthouse where I acquired a flashlight. On another play through, I used this flashlight to explore a dungeon filled with deadly snakes.
Trailer

Raiders of the Broken Planet

raidersplanet_5F00_610.jpg

It’s a game that takes place in an original science-fiction universe and merges third-person shooting and melee combat in interesting ways.
The only way to collect ammo in the game is to pull off melee attacks which work like rock-paper-scissors when it comes to countering, blocking, or pulling off attacks. If you’re successful, you get more ammo for your gun, so it encourages you to do more than just shoot. Depending on who you’re playing as you also have access to different powers. My character had a jetpack which gave him height and speed.
There will be a single-player campaign, but it will also function as a shared world. The game has Destiny aspirations when it comes to its campaign and how players play through it.
Trailer

Star Child

star610.jpg

Playable on a standard screen or using a PSVR headset, Playful’s new sidescroller is a sci-fi cinematic adventure. Our demo was in VR, and the environment immediately caught the eye, offering an impressive depth of field, with swaying objects in the foreground and the background, lending the sense that you were watching scenes unfold from within the setting. Even leaning forward zoomed in on the action, offering a better view of the female lead as she leaped and ran her way across an alien landscape. The brief demo showed off some simple puzzles in which the main character needed to connect some battery lines to open progression routes, and as the demo concluded, she met up with a titanic humanoid robot that first protected her and then lifted her up off the ground.
Trailer

Sundered

Sundered610May.jpg

Sundered is a dark, mysterious game in the vein of Super Metroid that mixes procedural generation and bespoke challengers. Though many of the game's paths are new every time you approach them, every boss encounter is tailor-made, as are several key challenge areas. Combat uses Dark Souls' duck-and-move combat flow as a starting point, but throws in some interesting additions: Not only do you acquire new abilities that make you more mobile, but you can "corrupt" those abilities to make them even stronger. In the demo I played, I got the ability to perform a sideways air dash. The corrupted version, however, can move in eight directions, including upwards. This makes moving around much easier, but corrupting your abilities will affect the ending you receive, as well as the the final boss. Those who want the uncorrupted ending will have quite a challenge ahead of them, according to developer Thunder Lotus.
Trailer

Tacoma

tacoma-1.jpg

The Venturis Corporation wants their AI back. That’s where you come in. Tacoma is a narrative adventure set aboard a high-tech space station in the year 2088. As you go about your mission, you’ll explore every detail of how the station’s crew lived and worked, finding the clues that add up to a gripping story of trust, fear, and resolve in the face of disaster.
Trailer

The Last Night

zs5bnd821qwhb6pn2ov6.png

The Last Night immerses you in the everyday life of Charlie, a second-class citizen living in a city brimming with augmentation and citizens living a gamified existence -- none of which Charlie can experience himself due to a childhood accident. Apathetic and disheartened by the seemingly pointless world around him, Charlie is presented with an opportunity to take matters into his own hands. But at what risk?
Trailer

Unto The End

header.jpg

Unto The End is a 2D cinematic combat-adventure that charts a journey of loss and vengeance, told through unforgiving encounters, skillful combat, and stark moments of beauty. Fight your way through an indifferent wilderness as you search for the creature that has taken everything from you ... Your family is slaughtered. You could not protect them. You wake. You survived. Vengeance is all that remains…
Trailer

Valfaris

After mysteriously vanishing from galactic charts, the fortress of Valfaris has suddenly reappeared in the orbit of a dying sun. Once a self-contained paradise, the grandiose citadel now plays host to an ever-growing darkness. Therion, a fearless and proud son of Valfaris, returns to his home to uncover the truth of its doomed fate and to challenge the arcane evil at its very heart.
Trailer

Yoku's Island Express

Yokus610.jpg

Yoku's Island Express mixes the immediate fun of pinball with the progression of The Legend of Zelda. Playing as Yoku the Dung Beetle, you land on the island of Mokumana to replace its current mailman. As you might suspect, things don't stay so simple. Pushing a small boulder around, you quickly find that much of the path has been blocked off, and can only be traversed by tethering yourself to the boulder and and using the many flippers and bumpers strewn around the island to move around. As in classic pinball, where the ball lies on the flipper when you press the right trigger, determines the angle at which you launch, and the puzzles had me mucking with angles to get into a few hard-to-reach places.
Trailer

Special mention

A hate in time
hat_in_time.jpg

New gameplay trailer E3 2017

killroy87

Lots of great looking games, not enough release dates. I need The Artful Escape in my life.

Was missing the indie showcse segment at the Sony and Nintendo showcases though. Sony announcing Undertale in the fucking pre-show is baffling to me, lol.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Thanks for this thread. I may not be looking at the right places but I feel quite a lack of indie coverage this E3.

Ricky_R

Thanks for this.

Btw, does Materfall really falls under indie? I know the studio is independent, but the game is being published by Sony, and we can safely assume they own the IP as well.

Lunar15

The strangest omission of E3 was Nintendo not focusing on Indies. I hope they have a direct with it sometime soon, because I'd really like to see what else is coming down the pipe. The Switch is a perfect system for Indies.

Anyway, I'm really excited for Indivisible and Tacoma.

Forkball

One I discovered was Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin. It was announced before E3, but it did have an E3 trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jf2vf6LlAg

Key Features

Refined Side-scrolling Platform Action
Sakuna uses farm implements as weapons, chaining together strong, weak, and special attacks to take down animal demons, and combines this with her “celestial scarf”: a magical item that allows her to grapple distant platforms and enemies.

Detailed 3D Simulation-style Gameplay
The village serves as a base of operations for crafting weapons, cooking food, and farming rice by following detailed steps from planting to harvesting across the seasons, improving the eventual harvest and honing Sakuna’s battle skills.

Stunning Environments and Enemies Inspired by Japanese Legend
A painstakingly researched story incorporating Japanese history and legend sees its heroine face off against numerous types of demons, great and small, as she traverses detailed landscapes rich with the iconography of classic Japanese myths and legends.

A Moving Story about Finding One’s Place
Through her life in the village, Sakuna will learn more and more about her human companions and, hopefully, help find ways to heal their souls.

I loved the look of Ashen. One of my favourites of the show.

Valfaris, Tacoma and Matterfall all look dope. Indivisible looks great too, but that's cheating a bit as I backed that on Kickstarter.

Not keen at all on the look of The Artful Escape. It looks like a singularity event of indie games.

Theorry

Is Ashen really a indie anymore when it got snatched up by a publisher and alot of people are saying it really feels more like a AA game now?

Thanks for making this thread. I feel like indies were neglected this year.

Not if you watched the MS press conference haha.

Too bad about the developers of The Last Night, game looks nice, but I can't support it.

Looking forward to Ashen and Ooblets.
Here are some other cyberpunk games to fill the gap

Ruiner - Intense dual stick action from Devolver
Rain of Reflections - RPG that focuses more on character interactions and consequences than on combat
Copper Dreams - CRPG/Immersive sim in a cyberpunk slum colony
Norco: Faraway Lights - Text adventure/interaction fiction in cyberpunk Louisiana

Godcannon

Indivisible demo was great a while back, MATTERFALL loOKs great but really hoping for co-op.

Thanks gonna check some of these that I missed.

Alastor3

Thanks for this.

Btw, does Materfall really falls under indie? I know the studio is independent, but the game is being published by Sony, and we can safely assume they own the IP as well.

Yep, you might be right on that, but im too lazy now to fix it, i'll leave it here.

One I discovered was Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin. It was announced before E3, but it did have an E3 trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jf2vf6LlAg

Look really nice! I'll add it to the list later.

I didn't know Indivisible was shown at E3.

It wasn't, but i'll allow it.

You all missed the most promising indie of E3: The Swords of Ditto.

header.jpg

Reveal trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvUvGPPQ1Ck
Official site: http://theswordsofditto.com/
Steam store page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/619780/The_Swords_of_Ditto/

Oh yeah that game! I like the artstyle, remind me of Costume Quest!

I've been looking forward to Tacoma for a while. Ashen and The Last Night have my attention as well. As far as the latter goes, I'm going to wait and see how the story ends up being received.

Fireblend

Banned
I really missed some sort of Nindies spotlight this year. Feel like Nintendo missed out on a good opportunity on that front. Also I was left wondering when we're gonna get release dates for Hollow Knight, Owlboy, Overcooked, Steamworld Dig 2, Stardew Valley and like 15 more games. Hope the next Direct is indie-focused.

Also,
This looks great!

As does A Hat in Time. Wow!

Last Night looks so damn good. I still need to see what actual gameplay looks like though.

Great thread btw. Nice and organized!

Kolibri

Ashen and The Last Night will be day 1's for me.

Need to take a look at those others though. Some interesting looking stuff.

Ricker

Good work Alastor3...

I am interested in Battlechasers and maybe Dauntless,if my PC can run it and how can you pass a game called Raiders of the Broken Planet :p ;)

Oh and Ashen for sure.

Top Bottom