• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Well, that sucks. (And also LTTP: PS3)

So! This is sort of a blog post!

A few weeks ago my XBOX360 had broken. It wourld turn on and but not really turn on, no images showing on the TV or anything. Like, it would light and all the lights would disappear, but no red lights would show up. I just figured the video input was broken or smth.

So I spent almost a month without a next gen system, and two days ago fell into temptation and bought a PS3.

I'm amazed! The first game I booted up was Uncharted and my wife was very happy. It was the first time I had an erection in months! I also played Motorstorm which was freaking awesome (although I played better racing games on the 360 :} Go Forza!)

Playing Uncharted was freaking amazing. This is probably the first time that I booted up a game on the current gen systems and just said ".... Wow". I mean, I played Bioshock on the 360 was beautiful, but Uncharted has such an immense scale, it's mind blowing. I felt like I was playing Mario 64 again.

I signed for PSN as well. I never booted my XBOX360 online because of the registering fee, which I think it's sort of bull. It's really cool! There's a bunch of games that I plan on buying, specially PSN classics. Resident Evil 2 for like 6 bucks? Yeah, I'll jump in.

Anyway, any game suggestions? I'm looking for budget gaming, so I probably want to play 1 year old plus games. I can buy them cheap used at amazon.com. Demon's souls is my next planned purchase.

Well, here's the sucky part: When I booted up my PS3, i played it for 3 minutes and the video went off. Oh gawd, oh gawd, oh gawd. My HDMI cable was borken (yes, mispelled like that) and the xbox 360 wouldn't display images because of it. I only bought the cable maybe 1 year ago and didn't think a freaking cable would break in such a short time.

So I ended up with a 400+ dollar purchase that I didn't exactly need, even though i'm loving the PS3 so much right now XBBBB

deathberry

Neo Member
Sohter.Nura said:
My HDMI cable was borken

Monster cable?

Also, it's nice to see you accidentally PS triple.

EDIT:
Sohter.Nura said:
The first game I booted up was Uncharted and my wife was very happy. It was the first time I had an erection in months!

Wait till you play Uncharted 2!

Gattsu25

Banned
You still have your 360?

Good. Now buy games for both and enjoy the benefits of being a multi-console owner

Goldrusher

Sohter.Nura said:
Anyway, any game suggestions? I'm looking for budget gaming, so I probably want to play 1 year old plus games. I can buy them cheap used at amazon.com. Demon's souls is my next planned purchase.
All exclusive...

932984_20070713_screen011.jpg

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune & Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
genre: action / third person shooter
about: 100% pure awesome!

933123_20090818_screen005.jpg

Heavy Rain
genre: adventure
about: Adventure crime thriller. Solve the mystery of the Origami Killer.

926596_20070724_screen018.jpg

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
genre: action / stealth
about: War has changed.

942025_20090430_screen007.jpg

inFamous
genre: action
about: Forget about Superman 64, this here is a superhero game. Choose to be good or bad.

938583_20080516_screen001.jpg

LittleBigPlanet
genre: platformer
about: Next-gen platforming. And don't be fooled by the looks, you'll have a hard time clearing the story mode.

2mq98h4.jpg

MotorStorm Pacific Rift
genre: arcade racing
about: Off-road racing done right. Even better than right.

932369_20070713_screen005.jpg

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction & Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
genre: action / platformer
about: Must-haves if you like fun. Superb storytelling.

944521_20081105_screen024.jpg

Resistance: Fall of Man & Resistance 2
genre: first person shooter
about: An FPS by the creators of Ratchet & Clank. Great story and presentation.

943928_20100118_screen001.jpg

God of War III & God of War Collection
genre: action
about: In the end, there will be only chaos... And if you haven't played the original two, pick up the Collection, which has GOW & GOWII remastered in HD.

954345_20090723_screen002.jpg

Demon's Souls
genre: action RPG
about: By the creators of King's Field, this game will kick your ass. Many times.

935684_20090728_screen014.jpg

White Knight Chronicles
genre: action RPG
about: Beautiful RPG by Level 5. With online co-op.

932983_20070919_screen001.jpg

Afrika
genre: photography / safari
about: Explore the savanna and take photos for National Geographic.

942165_20081125_screen001.jpg

Valkyria Chronicles
genre: strategy RPG
about: A very original RPG with wonderful graphics.

928377_20090211_screen001.jpg

Killzone 2
genre: first person shooter
about: The name alone. Killzone. It's f*cking bad-ass.

930083_20080409_screen014.jpg

Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds (EU: Everybody's Golf: World Tour)
genre: golf
about: If you like golf and have a PS3, forget about Tiger Woods. This is where it's at.

PSN.......

943340_20090205_screen006.jpg

Flower
genre: magic
about: You will not, you can not be disappointed.

959884_20090429_screen004.jpg

PixelJunk Shooter
genre: shooter, puzzle
about: Oldskool gameplay mixed with a wonderful visual style and amazing physics.

960170_20090818_screen001.jpg

Critter Crunch
genre: puzzle
about: One of the best puzzle games ever. Get it now!

960205_20090723_screen003.jpg

Shatter
genre: brick breaker
about: When was the last time you played a brick breaker game ?!

938148_20080912_screen005.jpg

WipEout HD (in Europe also available on disc)
genre: arcade racing
about: Futuristic racing in 60fps 1080p. Your brain will melt.

939277_20070711_screen003.jpg

Super Stardust HD
genre: shooter
about: Next-gen version of the classic arcade game. Sensory overload.

echochrome-20070920035153669.jpg

echochrome
about: M.C. Escher would be proud.

959285_20091027_screen007.jpg

Trine
genre: action, platformer, puzzle
about: A magical adventure.

936034_20080716_screen043.jpg

Siren Blood Curse (in Europe & Asia also available on disc)
genre: horror
about: Remake of a PS2 game almost no one ever heard of, by the creator of the original Silent Hill.

951897_20080902_screen001.jpg

The Last Guy
about: Snake with a conga-line, escaping from zombies and monsters. In real locations.

942166_20090219_screen001.jpg

Noby Noby Boy
genre: rofl
about: The craziest game ever. You eat stuff, you shit stuff. No goals, no story. Love it or hate it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Sohter.Nura said:
The first game I booted up was Uncharted and my wife was very happy. It was the first time I had an erection in months!
:lol :lol :lol
Pick up Valkyria Chronicles if you like SRPGs. ;D
Obligitory VC pimping
Uncharted 2 is pretty awesome as well so pick that up when you can, and I also recommend God of War III since it just looks amazing, and a pretty fun game, get it when it's a budget title if you wish. Enjoy your accidental PS3 purchase, and stock up on cheap HDMI cables! :lol

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Sohter.Nura said:
I'm amazed! The first game I booted up was Uncharted and my wife was very happy. It was the first time I had an erection in months!

I'm sure your wife was thrilled that you got an erection by staring at Drake's ass, but not by staring at hers.

Pick up Metal Gear Solid 4, the God of War Collection + God of War 3.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sohter.Nura said:
I signed for PSN as well. I never booted my XBOX360 online because of the registering fee, which I think it's sort of bull.

Not an attempt to de-rail but have you not bought any XBLA games at all then? :|

Goldrusher said:
Buncha games.

Thank you so much for the suggestions! I almost forgot Valkyrie Chronicles, that, inFamous and Demon's souls are my next purchases. I will also check the official GAF recommendation thread! Thank you so much!

CozMick

Banned
Combichristoffersen said:
I'm sure your wife was thrilled that you got an erection by staring at Drake's ass, but not by staring at hers.

Pick up Metal Gear Solid 4, the God of War Collection + God of War 3.

Kratos' character model is what keeps me "alive" in the bedroom.

Ikkarus

Sohter.Nura said:
I'm amazed! The first game I booted up was Uncharted and my wife was very happy. It was the first time I had an erection in months!

Probably best you stay away from Uncharted 2 considering the side effects you got from playing the first Uncharted. :lol

As for cheap games I would grab Ratchet and Clank Tools of destruction if you like platforming, Killzone 2 is a blast as is inFamous.

For PSN grab Flower before anything else.

CozMick

Banned
Tntnnbltn said:
I need to play inFamous again. I never got around to evil playthrough.

I never got to own it at all,

Is it really that good? Could it drag me away from SSFIV for some time?

Chris_C

There's also a Ratchet and Clank game on PSN you can pick up for under $20. It's about 4 hours long but a great primer for the Ratchet universe.

Chris_C said:
There's also a Ratchet and Clank game on PSN you can pick up for under $20. It's about 4 hours long but a great primer for the Ratchet universe.
I'll give that a shot as well.

It's kinda tough catching up.

There's so many games that I want to play on the thing, but so little time!

Apath

I was going to post suggestions but it seems someone already made everything possible. So just pretend I posted that.

Apath

Sohter.Nura said:
I'll give that a shot as well.

It's kinda tough catching up.

There's so many games that I want to play on the thing, but so little time!
Be warned that some people felt Quest for Booty or whatever it's called was more or less a demo for the wrench mechanics.

Chris_C said:
Don't do this. It's a bloody rip-off.

If you want Ratchet & Clank, A Crack in Time is probably the best installment of the series, and definitely the best one since Up Your Arsenal. But Quest for Booty is just a plain rip.

Haunted

I liked my "I just got a PS3" thread better. :(

Although admittedly, I didn't manage inserting an erection into mine, so kudos for that, OP.

Hawkie

mescalineeyes said:
If you plan on buying Demon's Souls, I advise you not to buy any other game (or distraction) for a long, long time.

Demon's Souls was my game for last Summer and I do mean all of the Summer.

Ettie

Can you play the Ratchet games out of order? Does the ToD story carry over into CiT?

Also congrats on your PS3, all the Pixeljunk games are on sale I think, go go go go.

Sohter.Nura said:
So I spent almost a month without a next gen system, and two days ago fell into temptation and bought a PS3.

skinnerpalm.gif

Ettenra said:
Can you play the Ratchet games out of order? Does the ToD story carry over into CiT?

Also congrats on your PS3, all the Pixeljunk games are on sale I think, go go go go.
ToD leads into CiT, with a brief stopover in QfB. I'd say play ToD, read a synopsis for QfB, play CiT.

Sohter.Nura said:
I signed for PSN as well. I never booted my XBOX360 online because of the registering fee, which I think it's sort of bull. It's really cool! There's a bunch of games that I plan on buying, specially PSN classics. Resident Evil 2 for like 6 bucks? Yeah, I'll jump in.

I hope you do realize signing up for Xbox Live costs you nothing. You can use most online features with a Silver (free) account, although you can't play games online without subscribing to Gold (which costs you money). You don't have to be a Gold subscriber to buy XBLA games, for instance.

Anyway, congratulations on your accidental purchase. :)

Dabanton

Gattsu25 said:
You still have your 360?

Good. Now buy games for both and enjoy the benefits of being a multi-console owner

Agree no better feeling as a gamer to know you have them both and don't have to worry about missing out on exclusives.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Get Crack in Time instead of Tools of Destruction. I mean, maybe you want both, but CiT is a giant step forward from ToD and ToD is kinda...dull? There's no way you'd want to play them back to back. CiT is one of the best games on the system and the best game Insomniac's ever made.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Sohter.Nura said:

You know, you might want to have a little talk with your wife about that...

I dig MAG, but only if you've got friends to play with. Not so fun playing randomly.

Uncharted 2 is a cool game, and Ninja Gaiden Sigma is the best version of that game, IMO.

God of War games are hit or miss, not much else I've really wanted to keep around. I'd rent the first uncharted, along with Killzone 2 and the Resistance games. They're not really "must have" titles that you'd want to keep. Maybe Killzone 2 for the multiplayer. But I'd rather play battlefield or Call of Duty. Also, the Ratchet games are fun.

Oh dude.... if you love Uncharted DF... then you're going to be swept of you feet when you get to Uncharted AT. Best twist on 'boss battles' EVER.

highluxury said:
Oh dude.... if you love Uncharted DF... then you're going to be swept of you feet when you get to Uncharted AT. Best twist on 'boss battles' EVER.

Yes, I'm saving to buy Uncharted 2 for my wedding anniversary. You know, just to spice things up a little bit.

Uncharted DF is genuinely fun. I've dreamed about a game where you can just climb shit up for years, and I feel like this is the materialization of what I wanted for next gen adventures. I love being able to climb to a place i didn't think of initially just to be able to get somewhere and find a treasure. It's amazing.

Replicant

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
I hope you do realize signing up for Xbox Live costs you nothing. You can use most online features with a Silver (free) account, although you can't play games online without subscribing to Gold (which costs you money). You don't have to be a Gold subscriber to buy XBLA games, for instance.

Is this for real? I thought Gold is just for exclusive stuff (ie. better matchmaking service, etc).

Replicant said:
Is this for real? I thought Gold is just for exclusive stuff (ie. better matchmaking service, etc).

Yes, you need Gold to play online multiplayer. That's the main differentiator between Silver and Gold.

No_Style

Y2Kev said:
Get Crack in Time instead of Tools of Destruction. I mean, maybe you want both, but CiT is a giant step forward from ToD and ToD is kinda...dull? There's no way you'd want to play them back to back. CiT is one of the best games on the system and the best game Insomniac's ever made.

This man knows what's up.

Goldrusher's post has a lot of excellent recommendations as well.

It reminded me that I still need to get Demon's Souls

Top Bottom