• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamesTM 96 Scores

Because I know you all love to know what's what in these mags:

Red Dead Redemption - 9 (They say it's very very GTAIV indeed, the structure and writing being incredibly similar. The area is much bigger, beautiful, and there's lots of Cowboy stuff to do - rustling, hunting, gambling. It has a "stark beauty and compelling narrative" apparently.)
WarioWare DIY - 9
Espgaluda II - 9
Shin Megami Tensai: Strange Journey - 8
£D Dot Game Heroes - 8
Lost Planet 2 - 7 (They slam the single player. "There isn't actually really a single player mode," they say, stating that the AI is so bad you can barely play it alone. Multiplayer is much better apparently. Controls are apparently awful, and the whole thing is more Monster Hunter than Lost Planet 1.)
Split/Second - 8 (Incredibly balanced, frenzied, one of the most exhilarating racing games since Burnout 3: the "God Of War 3 of racers, exaggerated, over the top and furious, interweaving scripted moments with dynamic play.")
Again - 4
2010 FIFA World Cup - 6
Skate 3 - 8
Dead Or Alive Paradise - 3
Alan Wake - 8
Th Whsipereed World - 6
Cave Story Wii - 9
Patchwork Heroes - 7
Nier - 7
Dead To Rights Retribution - 4
Monster Hunter Tri - 10 (It's one of the best online games fullstop, let alone on the Wii. Co-op makes it far far better, as it feels designed for it; it shows the rest of the world how co-op should be done. They argue a lot that it should be played online, as that's the only way to get the full experience of the game.)

Lots of higher scoring stuff this month. Features are on Kane & Lynch 2, iPad, the Prince Of Persia film, Single-A Games.

This makes me want Cave Story Wii. Why isn't it here yet?

rezuth said:
Never heard of this magazine before, is it relevant?

Its a UK mag, influenced strongly by the grownup style of EDGE but has its own fun quirks. Its a great read.

I prefer EDGE but GamesTM is a close second, and quality read. The two of them are, in quality and intelligence, miles above any other mags in the industry.

Saya said:
What did they say about Monster Hunter?

Paraphrasing but:
It's one of the best online games fullstop, let alone on the Wii. Co-op makes it far far better, as it feels designed for it; it shows the rest of the world how co-op should be done. They argue a lot that it should be played online, as that's the only way to get the full experience of the game.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
No coverage of Blur? I'm surprised, since it's being released around the same time as Split/Second.

rezuth said:
Never heard of this magazine before, is it relevant?
It's up there with EDGE as one of the UKs premiere gaming magazines. In fact, many people are starting to prefer it thesedays.

Acheteedo

So happy that red dead turned out well. Expect the birth of a current gen 'old west' genre if it's a sales success too.

Danielsan

Acheteedo said:
So happy that red dead turned out well. Expect the birth of a current gen 'old west' genre if it's a sales success too.
I'm still holding out for the GAF consensus a couple of weeks after its release.
I got burned hard by all the fellatio GTAIV received by the media.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
the good scores for RED DEAD have got my ears perked up. i'll keep my eyes on the pertinent info about it to see if it's for me; i wonder how much variance there is in missions, and how much of it is a GTA4 transplanted into a western setting (this does not appeal to me so much).

beelzebozo said:
the good scores for RED DEAD have got my ears perked up. i'll keep my eyes on the pertinent info about it to see if it's for me; i wonder how much variance there is in missions, and how much of it is a GTA4 transplanted into a western setting (this does not appeal to me so much).

I've updated the scores with some opinions: they say the game is almost completely and utterly GTAIV in a Western setting, with slightly worse cover mechanics. I sense you'll be disappointed.

whatevermort said:
with slightly worse cover mechanics
How is that even possible?

I really want RDR to be good, and I'm glad it's getting these good scores. But I really hated GTA IV so... I don't know:/ I'll wait for GAF comments about the game.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
whatevermort said:
I've updated the scores with some opinions: they say the game is almost completely and utterly GTAIV in a Western setting, with slightly worse cover mechanics. I sense you'll be disappointed.

thanks for the heads up.

Danielsan

whatevermort said:
All I need to know. Glad I pre-ordered Alan Wake instead.

R0nn

Red Dead Redemption - 9 (They say it's very very GTAIV indeed, the structure and writing being incredibly similar. The area is much bigger, beautiful, and there's lots of Cowboy stuff to do - rustling, hunting, gambling. It has a "stark beauty and compelling narrative" apparently.)

This isn't going to end well. Seems only the press really loves GTAIV. Everyone else seems to hate it. :lol

Acheteedo

whatevermort said:

As a fan of GTAIV (as many people outside GAF were), that's all I'm really looking for in this game.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's worth noting that the 10 for Monster Hunter is for the online section specifically. The game itself got an 8 I think in the last issue. GamesTM give a seperate score that just deals with online multiplayer if the game focuses on it (or they don't get a chance to review the mode in time).

Danielsan said:
That's his point.
Lost Planet has great graphics and Nier looks like an Xbox game.
Both received a 7.

While I definitely agree that graphics take a backseat to gameplay, using a B game with niche appeal such as Nier as an example isn't really the best way of proving the point.

Dennis

Banned
R0nn said:
This isn't going to end well. Seems only the press really loves GTAIV. Everyone else seems to hate it. :lol
If by everyone you mean GAF, then yes.

Love the game, one of the best ever - when fixed with mods that is.

eXistor

R0nn said:
I always thought it was very obvious RDR would be like GTAIV. Not that that's a bad thing. GTAIV is for the most part pretty brilliant and this should be even better because it has a western setting.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Hay "GTA but better" sounds like a whole lot of win to me .. i'm pumped.

RDR being so close to GTAIV does not excite me at all.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
While I definitely agree that graphics take a backseat to gameplay, using a B game with niche appeal such as Nier as an example isn't really the best way of proving the point.

GamesTM disagrees with you.
Why do you post so much crap?

Xater

R0nn said:

I love GTA4 and don#t get the hate the game sometimes gets here. I am pumped for RDR.

seady

Yeah seems like GAF users are the very few groups that hate GTA4.
I think it has to do with something called "peer pressure", or "peer influence".

Any comments on RDR gunplay?

In GTAIV the shooting just didn't feel very polished to me(slow and sluggish in comparison to some thing like Infamous, which I thought had very tight/responsive controls), I still enjoyed it a lot though.

MMaRsu

Banned
Danielsan said:
I'm still holding out for the GAF consensus a couple of weeks after its release.
I got burned hard by all the fellatio GTAIV received by the media.

Normally I'd agree, and I was going to do this, but if you look at all the gameplay movies they have released so far I just know I'm going to enjoy the hell out of RDR.

MvmntInGrn said:
Any comments on RDR gunplay?

In GTAIV the shooting just didn't feel very polished to me(slow and sluggish in comparison to some thing like Infamous, which I thought had very tight/responsive controls), I still enjoyed it a lot though.

Gunplay has been tightened since GTAIV. This is also a different dev then IV so I'm not too worried.

Danielsan

seady said:
Yeah seems like GAF users are the very few groups that hate GTA4.
I think it has to do with something called "peer pressure", or "peer influence".
I think it has something to do with the game being shit.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Cant0na said:
whats gamestm?

Mama Robotnik said:
Its a UK mag, influenced strongly by the grownup style of EDGE but has its own fun quirks. Its a great read.

I prefer EDGE but GamesTM is a close second, and quality read. The two of them are, in quality and intelligence, miles above any other english written mags in the industry.

fixed for accuracy.

Stink said:
FIFA 6, was this just because it's more of the same?

Nope; they actually say that it's worse than last year's full FIFA. Don't have the issue here t quote from, but they say it's a bit mussied up.

schennmu said:
GamesTM disagrees with you.
Why do you post so much crap?

Well, Nier is hardly a game that will set the charts on fire and it also divided professional opinions, with scores covering practically the whole scale. For all of Lost Planet 2's flaws, I bet it will have a much broader appeal than Nier, primarily due to its multiplayer features. I'm not attacking or defending either game, just saying that there are far better examples for proving miladesn's point (which I happen to agree with).

And if you have a problem with me, hey, use the ignore feature. I can only tell you the feeling is mutual, but your garbage posts don't really bother me.

Mt Heart Attack said:
How is that even possible?

I really want RDR to be good, and I'm glad it's getting these good scores. But I really hated GTA IV so... I don't know:/ I'll wait for GAF comments about the game.
ugh, me too...please don't be as bad as GTA. I really want to enjoy RDR.

Darklord

Banned
Am I the only one who is starting to feel RDR is going to end up like GTA4? The reviews will rave about it. Call the story a masterpieces and then when we all get it...yeah, not so much.

Baki

Screw you guys. GTA IV was good (but disappointing that they left out key features from SA. :()

MMaRsu

Banned
I think that quote is all wrong.. It's like GTAIV in terms of cutscenes, atmosphere and great characters, not so much in the bad aiming, controls & lack of stuff to do. At least that's what the GI review said.

Top Bottom