• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Magazine Review Scores | Issue #396 (FFVII Rebirth, Helldivers, Skull & Bones etc..)

Go_Ly_Dow

AOAAfMs.jpeg

Reviews:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth: 9
Unicorn Overlord: 9
Helldivers 2: 8
Skull and Bones: 5
Llamasoft: The Jeff Minter Story: no score
Penny's Big Breakaway: 5
Foamstars: 3
Splatoon 3: Side Order: 7
Inkulinati: 8
Lysfanga: The Time Shift Warrior: 5

Hype:
No Rest For The Wicked
Pony Island 2: Panda Circus
Arranger: A Role-Puzzling Adventure
Cataclismo
Cryptmaster
Animal Well

Hype round-up:
Little Devil Inside
Creatures of Ava
Endless Ocean Luminous
Disney Epic Mickey: Rebrushed
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Rumble

Lead Features:
Sleeper Hit: Citizen Sleeper 2
The Origins of Tripe-A
Audience With: Paul Gouge

The Making Of: Final Fantasy XVI
Studio Profile: Akupara Games
Time Extend: The Talos Principle
The Long Game: Hitman 3

Source

Last edited:

Madflavor

It's hard to give Rebirth anything less than an 8, regardless if it's your cup of tea. The sheer amount of love that went into the game's content cannot be denied. The game is massive, the side quests are all unique and well thought out, the characters are fun, the gameplay is crazy good, and there are minigames in Rebirth that are worthy of being their own stand alone games. You'd have to make a hard case for giving the game a mixed review.

I'm currently playing Penny's Big Breakaway and I rate it a 5 or lower, I've not finished the game but I was really hyped for this game and it's just not that much fun after the first few areas.
I have the same hype for the VR Max Mustard, hope that dosn't let me down.

Foamstars always looked fucking terrible, but I'm interested in Rebirth and Unicorn Overlord. Shame neither are on PC at the moment.

I've tried FFVII Remake twice now and just cannot get over how overly long and full of filler content it is. I'm hoping Rebirth is more focused in that regard.

How are people finding Unicorn Overlord? I tried Tactics Ogre Reborn and it was a bit too much for me. Lots of systems and it all felt very overwhelming.

Go_Ly_Dow

It's hard to give Rebirth anything less than an 8, regardless if it's your cup of tea. The sheer amount of love that went into the game's content cannot be denied. The game is massive, the side quests are all unique and well thought out, the characters are fun, the gameplay is crazy good, and there are minigames in Rebirth that are worthy of being their own stand alone games. You'd have to make a hard case for giving the game a mixed review.
One of the best games I've played in a long time, the world is spectacular and the glorious full of life "ultra HD" towns everywhere.

Salivating Homer Simpson GIF

Last edited:
Most reviews are BS if you know what you like, but gotta admit there's something nostalgic about an EDGE review lol. Someday the magazine will phase out like most of print so these threads won't be here forever.
I used to be a big fan of EDGE but their review scores are now there simply to spark controversy

Go_Ly_Dow

I used to be a big fan of EDGE but their review scores are now there simply to spark controversy
They did have the chance to stir some contversy with FF7 here to be the first and only outlet to not give it a positive review, but instead they chose not to, but I have seen this criticism before. (y)

LordCBH

Edge hates almost everything, so something getting an 8 or a 9 there means it’s pretty goddamn special.

Mozzarella

Any reason why Edge is special? so far i have seen nothing from them that makes them deserve that status!
I hear all the time how they are harsh and have this critical taste and that they are so prestigious but i have seen nothing that justifies these claims, far as i can tell they are not even better than Gamespot.

Go_Ly_Dow

Any reason why Edge is special? so far i have seen nothing from them that makes them deserve that status!
I hear all the time how they are harsh and have this critical taste and that they are so prestigious but i have seen nothing that justifies these claims, far as i can tell they are not even better than Gamespot.

It's not that they're special it's just that they review either more harshly or controversially and can often go against the grain. Hence the pleasant surprise they reviewed Rebirth as highly as the other outlets and after giving Remake a 7.

They also have a higher weighting on the metacritic score and their review is usually one of the last ones to drop.

Since they've been around for so long and given the above they have a heightened status I guess.

Last edited:

Fbh

They are one of the few notable physical gaming magazines left (with no online alternative).
And they are notorious for being harsher with their reviews and not handing out 90+ scores to most notable games like a lot of big outlets do (like the 7/10 review for FFXVII or the 6/10 review for Ragnarok which upset a lot of people). The idea being that if they give a 90+ to a game it's a bigger deal.

That said, they are just as soy fueled as most other gaming media. They refused to review Hogwarts Legacy and they could't resist complaining about the lack of diversity in their FFXVI review

Go_Ly_Dow

They are one of the few notable physical gaming magazines left (with no online alternative).
And they are notorious for being harsher with their reviews and not handing out 90+ scores to most notable games like a lot of big outlets do (like the 7/10 review for FFXVII or the 6/10 review for Ragnarok which upset a lot of people). The idea being that if they give a 90+ to a game it's a bigger deal.

That said, they are just as soy fueled as most other gaming media. They refused to review Hogwarts Legacy and they could't resist complaining about the lack of diversity in their FFXVI review

Forgot about the Ragnarok 6/10 (my verdict probably about the same tbh) and also their HW stance and FF16 whining!

A shame they're going down the toilet ideologically even if their reviewing is still rigorous.

Last edited:
Top Bottom