• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE scores - issue 219 - October 2010

VC2 a 6 :lol? aka a 9

I dont even know why people even care about their scores anymore. We all know their deal and quite frankly it's getting old :\. stop giving low scores to great games for attention.

Clocian-IGN said:

I dont even know why people even care about their scores anymore. We all know their deal and quite frankly it's getting old :\. stop giving low scores to great games for attention.

/giant rolleyes

Dead Man Typing said:
noafiv.gif

Possibly the most perfect GIF usage ever.

Nicktals

Banned
Clocian-IGN said:

lol

I mean, they defend their scores. Not always well, or correctly...But they certainly give it a valiant effort. So just laughing off based on just the score is silly.

StuBurns

Banned
Clocian-IGN said:

No one with IGN in their name is entitled to have an opinion on game criticism.

Curufinwe

Clocian-IGN said:

I think we know your deal after 1 post. And it's instantly old.

How can they be so hard on Scott Pilgram? The game was $10 and has plenty of replay value to it and its 4 player coop. There are not many games like River City Ransom these days. Well deserved title in this day and age with the genre pretty much dead.

LocoMrPollock said:
Edge can suck my unit, they stopped being relevant awhile back.
Uhuh.

Mafia II and Metroid reviews were good reads, surprised how much they liked Metroid. I'm going to check out Mafia in a sale. Feels like the review is a bit spoilery. All the side notes are like "this cool set piece is a highlight, and this was really cool" for such a short game I don't really expect the review to tell me what I'm going to be doing at each stage of the game.
jerks

Amir0x

Banned
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light review is the wrongest EDGE has been about a game in a while. However, the thread starter must have picked the wrong blurb or something, because they had to have some real complaints other than "it's missing a sense of grand adventure" (which is also wrong, for the record, but besides the point).

Amir0x said:
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light review is the wrongest EDGE has been about a game in a while. However, the thread starter must have picked the wrong blurb or something, because they had to have some real complaints other than "it's missing a sense of grand adventure" (which is also wrong, for the record, but besides the point).

The only complaints in the review (besides the 'missing a sense of grand adventure' line) were;

In singleplayer it's best described as Baldur's Gate with a machine gun. If that pricks up your ears, hold that trigger finger: it can be a curse rather than a gift when your opponents' weapons of choice are homing balls of magic. You're constantly forced to break off from firing to roll-dive for safety and health packs

and

The puzzles too often rely on grinding/blasting your way through a gang of goons, a result of the arcade-style approach but also a concession to a less-committed audience

Stink

Clocian-IGN said:

Clocian-IGN
(Yesterday, 03:19 PM)

:lol :lol

Jex

LocoMrPollock said:
Edge can suck my unit, they stopped being relevant awhile back.
Anyone who uses the phrase "stopped being relevant" isn't relevant now, and never was.

And for the record, the 'wrongest' EDGE has been about a review was their Bioshock review.

No, it wasn't their LOL inducing 7. It was their 'complaint' about Andrew Ryan still using the American Dollar because, according to them, it clashed with his ideology.

Metroid sounds more and more enticing by the day. Overall there havent been that many 9 or 10 scores lately. I was actually expecting metroid would be among that crowd.

Mr Jared

Too calculated to be a truly sympathetic adaption, what Scott Pilgrim is missing in inspiration it makes up for - inappropriately - with sheer professionalism. It may be quietly lacking when it comes to the ad-libbed charm of the source material, but this is still a detailed and intelligent fraud; a slice of cool, corporate entertainment for an audience that probably sees no contradiction with that notion.

So basically, the reviewer has no idea what Scott Pilgrim is and decides to hate on it for being "too cool for school." Games journalism at its finest.

faridmon

why are people so butthurt about anything that goes against ''Valkyrie Profile'' in this forums?

Its not the best SRPG game stop defending it so much. If EDGE gives it 7 and 6 to its sequel, it proboly have a good justification for that. Stop whine too much about it.

Jeez...

Cow Mengde said:
Making of Harvest Moon? What's that all about? I didn't know Edge was aware of the franchise's existence.
They were learning that it actually existed as they were writing the article.

Bloody MMV for Milking the franchise and make it obsolute and a joke to the gaming community *sigh*

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
So Edge didn't get Mafia 2 either? It's not a sandbox game, yet most reviewers want to slap that label on it and then say something negative about how they should've tried harder as one. Its annoying and unfair.

Maybe they should've picked reviewers who had actually played the first game to do it.

Amir0x

Banned
Bootaaay said:
The only complaints in the review (besides the 'missing a sense of grand adventure' line) were;

Wait, having to avoid enemy fire is a negative? W-T-F :lol

Bootaaay said:

Bizarre. Since almost none of the puzzles at all involve enemies in the entire game. Usually, when you enter a new room, you might have to fight some new enemies (how awful when the combat is so good), but they almost never have anything to do with the puzzles.

I think there were a handful of puzzles where completing a segment of it released a wave of enemies.

Yeah this review just tells me they did not spend much time on the game, or the writer is a retard. Probably both.

Top Bottom