• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Deus Ex 3 CG trailer is out

Gyrian

This trailer sat much better with me than I anticipated.
The music was just the cherry on top. I've gone from curious to looking forward to.

micrometaru.gif

~Kinggi~

Banned
Well, pack it up folks, that's the best thing about the new Deus Ex game. Superb trailer, both visually and the conceptual ideas in it, but no way in hell that is gonna translate into the game in any meaningful way.

Anyway, wonderful trailer.

-PXG-

So many vibes, so many different references. A lot of material and subject matter in that trailer. If they can capture all of that, in the game...well shit...That would be one helluva game.

Blizzard

Banned
That was actually really cool. I agree that the game may sadly not come close, but the references, music, characters, and atmosphere were really interesting. If it were a movie it would still be an pretty great trailer in my opinion.

smuf

Getting really strong Bladerunner vibes from watching this. That alone is enough to get me really hyped.

subversus said:
And that's good (*remember Invisible War*)

No, it really isn't. The guy is a brilliant designer. He can't be blamed for everything that went wrong with IW (which is a pretty great game, just a shitty sequel to one of the best games ever made).

He and everyone else on the team made mistakes with IW, but I would be far more comfortable with him on board for 3... or, you know, anyone at all who made the earlier games memorable.

Prentice

Neo Member
subversus said:
And that's good (*remember Invisible War*)

I'm not insinuating that a good game in the Deus Ex universe can't be made with out Spector, but what a terribly wrong thing to say.

Remember Deus Ex 1? System Shock? Thief? IW had problems for other reasons (though I did think it was great), and Warren wasn't the project director (not that I'm blaming Harvey Smith for it, I thought he did a fantastic job with what they could do).

Servizio said:
2h7o0ux.gif

All of these but one is within the TOS avatar range. Choose wisely.

Just kidding, they should all be fine.

i just spent an hour making that eye one and somebody already took it :lol goddamnit

Ok I just got the July issue of PC Gamer UK. Theres a big write up about Deus Ex, including some screenshots, details to follow once I read the damn thing.

Yeah, it definitely looks a LOT like Blade Runner meets Metal Gear Solid so it's a good thing I love both of those. 2011 is a long way away though, and I expect this won't be out until Q4 2011, so that holds my hype level down a bit for now.

Ok some details.

THe preview was written by Tom Francis, he loves Deus Ex.

"Hmm, this kind of is Deus Ex"

"I doubt it will be better than Deus Ex 1, but I think it might be comparable".

Adam Jensen is your name and you were a security guard until some aug'd guys removed your arms.

The story is self contained within the game and is seperate from the other 2 games.

The game is primarily a stealth game, but light levels don't affect it. Adam is able to cover against walls etc and when he does so the game goes into third person, and you can see around corners.

Silent take downs are also in third person, you can take people down non-lethally or use your augs to kill people in a very gorey silent way.

Crossbow is in!

Guards you knock out can be brought back to their senses by other guards, who then hunt for you.

You start with just your arms augmented but you can buy more augs for yourself from a Limb Clinic. These augs can then be upgraded with experience points (a metaphor for Adam Jensen getting used to them).

Augs use energy, no energy and you can't use them. You can upgrade your energy bar throughout the game with new pips and the lowest pip recharges itself slowly.

Augs listed:
Enhanced vision
Mind Reading
Mind Control (like in the trailer where he makes the guy shoot himself)
Cloak
Claymore system
Icarus landing system (jump high, stun enemies when u land)
Strength (more carrying space and upgrade to carry heavy stuff)
Wrist Blades
Hacking module
Mysterious splayed hand abilities.

Running and shooting at people will get you killed, you can die from 2-4 bullets hitting you.

Health regens there are no med packs.

You can't lose limbs (aww).

The city in the trailer is an island city built off the coast of Shanghai by one of the leading cybernetics companies. When the government wouldn't let them expand the city they just build another one on top of it. So it's a double decker island city. The developer say it's bigger than Liberty Island in the first game.

You have a female pilot.

A few characters from the original game make cameo apperances and some of the original voice actors return. The only one that seems for sure is Tracer Tong, who at this point is a computer hacker.

There is an expansive conversation system. Minor characters you just get the information from and move on, but major characters it's possible to have long conversations with resulting in either getting what you want, failing and having to try again or pissing them off so much that they won't ever talk to you again :D The example they give is a heated argument Adam has with a mob boss.

Theres a line from Steve Szczepkowski the audio director when talking about the voice actor for Adam "That's his natural tone. I didn't want a mimic of JC, but he needed to sound like he's from the same family." Make of that what you will.

Hacking takes place in real time on screens in the game and is a minigame, screw up and a timer countsdown before you fail. Since it's real time a guard could attack you whilst you're doing it.

Theres a cover system.

You can pick up all sorts of stuff, use it as cover etc or throw at people to kill them.

You start off just with your arms, but you can buy new augs. Each one can be upgraded using experience points.

I dunno if the hacking aug is required to hack, it isn't entirely clear but it says upgrading makes the minigame easier and allows you to do more stuff like set off alarms in another area to send all the guards there. Then the usual stuff of making bots attack them, turning cameras on and off, opening/closing doors.

Reading the entire thing it sounds nothing like invisible war.

hamchan

miladesn said:
Watching the trailer again, music and the voice over are so much like Dark Knight.

Coincidently I also happened to watch the Dark Knight trailer again today and got chills from that too.

Maybe that's why I love this Deus Ex trailer. I do think this is one of the best trailers I've seen for a video game. They absolutely nailed the looks and feel. Music is pretty fantastic too.

ILikeFeet

Banned
they say the game is primarily stealth. I don't know about that. could it be the person who played the game just played it as a stealth game and not take a direct aproach?

but the whole 3-4 bullets will kill thing sounds worrysome going by the way I play the first game. I hope that's at the beginning with no new augs.

ILikeFeet said:
they say the game is primarily stealth. I don't know about that. could it be the person who played the game just played it as a stealth game and not take a direct aproach?

but the whole 3-4 bullets will kill thing sounds worrysome going by the way I play the first game. I hope that's at the beginning with no new augs.

"We don't want it to be a run and shoot game" director Jean-Francois Dugas tells me, "If you try to run at enemies, 2, 3, 4 bullets and you're dead."

ILikeFeet

Banned
I rarely play on lower difficulties these days. but I don't exacly bust in guns blazing. I pick off people from afar and finish off the rest with the SMG. usually while going in and out of cover.

_Bro

Banned
Well, Square-Enix's involvement with the project is beginning to get a bit annoying. Visually, anyways.

I keep seeing Final Fantasy Espionage.

Anyways, it sounds like the game is being crafted with a lot of care. Not sure how the "Have to stealth" part of the game is sense blowing people up was good in the original. Maybe different levels of stealth? Assault, shadows, undercover, whatever else. I just hope that when I replay the game (assuming its worth replaying) that I cling to the same corners because I know that I can't just kill dudes or go the other way.

ILikeFeet

Banned
_Bro said:
Well, Square-Enix's involvement with the project is beginning to get a bit annoying. Visually, anyways.

I keep seeing Final Fantasy Espionage.

Squeenix doesn't have any part in this other than the cg trailers. that and prolly distribution

hamchan

_Bro said:

Square-Enix's CG work is one of the best things to happen to this game.

oh, duh. I initially thought that the beginning of the trailer might have something to do with the Jesus idea that was supposedly once intended to be in the original Deus Ex, but now I've realized that it's actually just an allusion to the Icarus myth.

Top Bottom