• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Deus Ex 3 CG trailer is out

Video games are for nerds. Anime and stuff like Neruomancer and Blade Runner are also for and greatly enjoyed by nerds. Video games are also made by nerds. Nerds who probably like that stuff. So when they make a game on the same line as those things, they obviously will take things from the stuff they like. This ripoff argument is annoying.

I find the style appealing and I could not possibly give less of a shit about whether the technology level is too excessive to be used in a prequel to Deus Ex.

Invisible War failed both at being a sequel to Deus Ex and at being an even remotely tolerable game. I'm willing to give this a shot at being a good game, at least.

Jex

Rahxephon91 said:
Video games are for nerds. Anime and stuff like Neruomancer and Blade Runner are also for and greatly enjoyed by nerds. Video games are also made by nerds. Nerds who probably like that stuff. So when they make a game on the same line as those things, they obviously will take things from the stuff they like. This ripoff argument is annoying.

I hope most people are saying they were "influenced by this" as opposed to "ripped-off". Or at least I hope...

Rewatching the trailer, the 300esque slow-down moments are way more noticeable. Still looks cool.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
charlequin said:
I find the style appealing and I could not possibly give less of a shit about whether the technology level is too excessive to be used in a prequel to Deus Ex.

Invisible War failed both at being a sequel to Deus Ex and at being an even remotely tolerable game. I'm willing to give this a shot at being a good game, at least.

IW pretty much failed in every sense. It's really too bad, too, because it came out at a time where I was at my peak of DX hype.

Jexhius said:
I hope most people are saying they were "influenced by this" as opposed to "ripped-off". Or at least I hope...
I would to. Creative people are influenced by other works. Hopefully this new game takes its influences and does some good stuff with them.

Honestly, I know nothing about Deus Ex other then the demo I played of the 2nd one, but the trailer has me really interested. Probably because I like things like Blade Runner and GITS a lot.

WanderingWind said:
Right. A bad idea. Which people might protest against.

I meant a bad idea as in overheating, recoil (I like how the arm-gun in the trailer has none), weight, storage, safety, repairs.. :p

thetrin said:
IW pretty much failed in every sense. It's really too bad, too, because it came out at a time where I was at my peak of DX hype.

Yeah.

If this is a good game, and also maybe not necessarily the most faithful prequel to DX, I'm going to be satisfied with that. But we'll see, I guess.

Jex

mjemirzian said:
I meant a bad idea as in overheating, recoil (I like how the arm-gun in the trailer has none), weight, storage, safety, repairs.. :p

But you forget AWESOMENESS.

Plus, in the future, we have stabilizers and stuff. Built into our arms. I'm looking forward to it.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
mjemirzian said:

So, then you'd be cool being pulled over by a cop with a fully operational SAW tucked away in his forearm? Or that only rich people or government employees get augmentations?

People get antsy about SWAT teams. Now, magnify that unease by realizing those SWAT members are now all basically super powered.

That's at least a protestin'

Rahxephon91 said:

I'm not complaining and i like what i've seen so far, I just don't get what's wrong in recognizing very probable sources of inspiration.

Cep

Banned
Jexhius said:
But you forget AWESOMENESS.

Plus, in the future, we have stabilizers and stuff. Built into our arms. I'm looking forward to it.

Rule of cool triumphs over reality yet again...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Sickboy007 said:
I've heard of those books things, but this doesn't change the fact that some scenes in the trailer were indeed ripoffs of GITS.

Which is actually postcyberpunk but fuck genre distinctions lol

Lakitu said:
You need to play Mass Effect 2 and go to Illium.

It was more of an afterthought to this:

EviLore said:
2027 isn't exactly the most realistic number for the setting portrayed, but that's in line with Blade Runner being set in 2019 and Ghost in the Shell in 2030, so sure.

dominuece

Nice trailer. If the game actually has the upgrades featured in the trailer merged with RPG elements, I have been waiting for a game like this on current gen technology.

SuperAndroid17 said:
Dunno why the voice actor reminds me of Christian bale in terminator.

Badass trailer though

Glad I wasn't the only one to think this. Actually thought more of Christian Bale in the batman movies, but still, same idea.

jonremedy

I'm just gonna go ahead and pretend that the 2027 in this game is not actually OUR 2027. More like a 2027 that could have been. Which I'm cool with. I read and consume a lot of fiction with this mindset.

jonremedy said:
I'm just gonna go ahead and pretend that the 2027 in this game is not actually OUR 2027. More like a 2027 that could have been. Which I'm cool with. I read and consume a lot of fiction with this mindset.

By that time, I'm going to be 40. **clings to youth**

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
2h7o0ux.gif

jv6kg6.gif

2vxr9ft.gif

2safipu.gif

2duzgpw.gif

2i2bvvt.gif

2hx4mtc.gif

24mvypd.gif

2w5ks3q.gif

ofdb1z.gif

All of these but one is within the TOS avatar range. Choose wisely.

Just kidding, they should all be fine.

Dipswitch

Bad ass trailer. It appears like they're trying to do justice to the original game. We'll see how close they come to the mark next year. Looking good so far though.

I would love an avatar of the augmented wrist blade grab at around 2:15.
Also, holy fuck, that was an amazing trailer. And judging by the first 20 seconds, it looks like they might use that whole Jesus idea that was scrapped in Deus Ex?

Top Bottom