• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM Debut Trailer and Preview

coopolon

robor said:
You guys are truly horrible. This trailer kicked my ass.

What did you like about it so much? I'll admit I find the setting interesting, if not rather cliche now. But the graphics were horrendous, but fine, maybe that's just because we're watching a streaming trailer. The gunplay looked like a shittier version of Bioshock's gunplay, and Bioshock didn't have good gunplay.

I hope this trailer is not a representation of this game, because I would love for this game to be awesome.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Awesome atmosphere in that trailer.

I'd like to see the management aspects in more detail, which I'm sure I will in the coming days.

I dug it, fuck everyone throwing tantrums.
:D

Looked decent to possibly pretty good to me. But I never played the first X-Com. I'm sure for those who did this trailer was painful to watch. I've been there brothers and sisters. Fuck what this generation of consoles has done to gaming. And especially what it has done to classic PC gaming franchises. Why can't these companies just create there own new brands instead of dry fucking classic franchises?

robor

I love that the enemy is abstract, alien and completely non-territorial. A phenomenon from another dimension invading the human world. The atmosphere in that trailer BLEEDS this. I suspect an element of paranoia in this game, makes me think of Neuromancer and Ubik. Cannot wait.

MDSLKTR

Was looking okay untill they showed the parts where the guns were involved :lol . That shotgun is a contender with the one from resistance and bioshock for the worst one in a fps ever!

jonnyp

What has this trash got to do with X-Com? :(((

Ink blobs, flying rectangles etc...

I didn't like Bioshock so I wasn't surprised this ended up the way it did, but still disappointed.

I want a new turn-based strategy game damnit! Not another crap FPS.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
hmm no idea what that was (not familiar with Xcom) but liked it.

looks more interested than Bioshock 2 ended up being (though I didn't dislike it, was just tired of it by the end)

JDSN

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
This is great.

The bad uneven graphics, which look exactly like unfinished and buggy video game graphics on Earth, are actually alien biology.

Maybe next they can throw in clipping, screen tearing, bad animations, and missing textures. You know so that "doesn't look right" feel is perfect.
Dont forget the kryptonite fog.

JDSN said:
Dont forget the kryptonite fog.
Dr. Robotnik has created many diabolical traps which take advantage of Sonic's ultra-fast speed. Watch out for traps that Sonic cannot escape. If you fall into the wrong trap, you might have to reset the game (by pressing the RESET button) and start again at the beginning of the Zone you were last in. When Sonic is flashing (after being hit) don't let him travel too quickly.

DaBuddaDa said:
Trailer protip: dissonant, high-pitched screeching throughout makes dull things seem x-treme.

Black goo fighter 2011.

edit: also, is the whole exploiting 40s and 50s culture in horrible situations shtick is getting stale with anyone else?

Would you prefer bald space marine?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
THE WORLD DEBUT OF X-COM BOOYA!

*90 seconds of a dude shooting the floor with a shotgun to dramatic music*

.... The fuck is this shit!?

Alex

While I really like Xcom, I don't really mind the license mashing. That was a nice trailer, aesthetically, but they really didn't show too much interesting with the actual play.

They're obviously going to be going for some big quirks and deviation, but all they really showed was some random shooting at simple things. That really didn't tell me anything about the game.

The people freaking out over basically nothing though are funny, and a bit sad, since this type of total kneejerk bullshit is how I figure a lot of folks actually interpret and judge games.

Badly cut trailer, worse reactions.

Raziel

it looks okay, i just dont get why it has a 50's style setting.

and yeah, between bioshock, fallout, mafia, la noire, etc, the kitschy 50's setting/sensibility is starting to get old.

bhlaab

okay so it doesnt have x-com gameplay, x-com setting, x-com enemies, x-com weapons, x-com atmosphere...

Why not just call it Baldur's Gate 3

bhlaab

But it is sort of creepy that the bloom lighting can go rogue and infest characters making them explode. Or is that not what's happening?

Haeleos

The game looks ok, but I think calling it XCOM is doing a huge disservice to it. It's only serving to make people angry that are familiar with the original game. If it was titled something else, I think people would be a lot more hyped for it.

Funky Papa said:
It looks like a total mess with no respect for the original.
And there you have it folks.

Also, waiting for a preview where some talking head from 2K Marin talks about what big fans of the original they all are.

Kydd BlaZe

Never played any of the original X-Coms, so I have no nostalgia to protect. With that said though, the footage from this trailer left me quizzical, in a "what the fuck am I looking at?" sense. Black goo? Floating rectangles? I thought it looked pretty odd and dumb to be honest.

The visual style looks pretty slick, though...but that's not saying much.

ShogunX

MightyHedgehog said:
I thought it was just cool enough by itself that the player was given an option to flee and abandon a mission location to avoid death. That risk/reward system wasn't even well explained in that video, nor was the action of how there is a need to first expose the weakness of your blob enemies before finishing them. They really need to show more than just random cuts of shooting shit since it's clear, from previews, that there's much more to the game than that. I mean, there's a tactical element and choice in missions as well as research options which lead to new weaponry, gadgetry, and insight into how to deal with the alien threats based on collected alien technology and physical evidence at the sites ala X-COM. The whole intrigue of finding out more about your enemy based on how much you're willing to risk and how good you are at managing to survive the decision to extend your stay at a site to search and collect that critical item or how you can choose to risk death to save a fellow agent who can, themselves, essentially level up from survived experiences in the field. They're not doing themselves any favors by looking like an ever-so standard FPS.

Really, read the previews and don't rely on the video so far available.

Sounds pretty interesting if the game does end up featuring what you just described. Trailer was decent and nailed the whole ''lets appeal to the shooter crowd'' angle.

Decado

You've got to be shitting me. Black blobs. That's what they're going to give us? Black fucking blobs? An X-Com FPS = death to fans + black fucking blobs = embarrassment to gaming.

Take2, just fucking die. Worst video ever, worst adaptation ever (
have I over stated this enough
). I wasn't expecting brilliance, but holy fuck, I expected better than this.

mujun

Minsc said:
I don't think it's undue at all. You're taking what is basically one of the best PC games made, and making it in to another genre of gaming. If anything, the hate should be totally expected.

I don't understand that logic at all. Given the choice between some iteration of X-COM and nothing at all, I'll take something.

tiff

Banned
this doesn't even just look like a bad X-Com game. it just looks straight up terrible.

i can't believe that blobs and blocks are the enemies they choose to keep showing off.
mujun said:
I don't understand that logic at all. Given the choice between some iteration of X-COM and nothing at all, I'll take something.
given the choice between a bad X-COM game existing and a bad X-COM game not existing, i'll take not existing.

mujun said:

I don't understand this logic at all. Given the choice between something with the X-COM name slapped on it which bears no similarity to the original game series thematically or in gameplay terms, and nothing... I'll take nothing.

JDSN

Banned
I think that even pretending is some random shooter doesnt work either, im sure there will be more enemies but aiming down at such close quaters is fucking annoying, just think of all the headcrabs and spider things from Half Life 2.

mujun

jim-jam bongs said:
I don't understand this logic at all. Given the choice between something with the X-COM name slapped on it which bears no similarity to the original game series thematically or in gameplay terms, and nothing... I'll take nothing.

Really? What's in a name? They can drag it through the mud for all I care, won't detract from any of the fun I had with the original games.

Two types of people I suppose. How do you feel about the LOTR movies? I didn't really like them because they weren't half as good as the books but I'm happy for them to exist because there seems to be a lot of people who do like them.

Seems similar to people who get shitty when something exclusive to their platform of choice goes multi-plat, like it detracts from fun they've already had with the game.

Too much sense of entitlement?

TUSR

Banned
64xt5ol.jpeg

THIS is X-Com. THAT was not.

Not liking it. X-Com was the game of my teen years (13-14), I learned a lot of English words from that. It had a good system, base management, Disruptor Launcher exploits :lol

This is really just a generic FPS shooter. Then you have oil spill aliens - really? In a game about UFO you are going to reduce aliens to oil blobs walking up and down your living room?

There were no character stats shown, no base management, no research screen. Hell, for all we know this can have branching paths, and that's it. Plus, seeing as it's an FPS it will be 15h tops, while X-Com took much more (my TftD Steam copy shows 248h).

I understand casuals, streamlining, wanting to have pappa Joe and MW2 crowd buy the game - but can you please make a new IP for that to run into the ground? Stop raping gaming history.

God, I hope EA does better with Syndicate.

J-Rzez

Sinatar said:
THE WORLD DEBUT OF X-COM BOOYA!

*90 seconds of a dude shooting the floor with a shotgun to dramatic music*

....The fuck is this shit!?

I have to admit, I actually LOL'd when I read that part. I'll still remain cautiously interested in this, they should have a bit of time to fix things up. I dig the old-time settings. I can see why others may not like that it's not really "xcom" though.

Dennis

Banned
Awful, just awful.

I hope they also plan to make a strategy game in this relaunch of the X-Com name. Hopefully before this turd of a shooter ruins everything.

mujun said:
Really? What's in a name? They can drag it through the mud for all I care, won't detract from any of the fun I had with the original games.

Two types of people I suppose. How do you feel about the LOTR movies? I didn't really like them because they weren't half as good as the books but I'm happy for them to exist because there seems to be a lot of people who do like them.

Seems similar to people who get shitty when something exclusive to their platform of choice goes multi-plat, like it detracts from fun they've already had with the game.

Too much sense of entitlement?

Except that this is nothing like the LOTR movies. This is more like if Peter Jackson decided to set the trilogy in space and replace the hobbits with ewoks.

Let's turn things around a bit. In what way is this game improved by having the X-Com name attached to it?

Top Bottom