• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM Debut Trailer and Preview

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
MightyHedgehog said:
I'm surprised at how protective people are over a series that hasn't had an installment in its franchise really worthy of such a strong defensive reaction in almost fourteen years. I mean, this brand has been forgotten and/or left behind by most people...even fans...for more than a decade. I hope they show more than just shooting shit soon.

yeah, i don't mean to seem protective with my comments. i've actually never played an X-COM game. i suck at strategy games.

this just looks like a crappy game though. i like the concept just fine.

The goo looks really bad. It keeps flipping out and the trail is all janky, like it keeps hitting a seam and stops.

And you can see a seam down the dude's arm in the first first-person part, where the goo or whatever is clearly off.

charsace said:
Are they called RTT and TBT? No? Then hush.
Not my fault if people like to make the terms interchangeable when they're really not quite. I mean, the words do have meaning. :) S sounds better than T inside of those particular acronyms, I agree with that much.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
EmCeeGramr said:
The goo looks really bad. It keeps flipping out and the trail is all janky, like it keeps hitting a seam and stops.
It's supposed to look like that.

mujun

Looks pretty good to me. Nice to see a shooter that isn't all played out setting like Killzone or Medal of Honor.

Hope it rocks and people have to eat serious crow.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
WrikaWrek said:
So we are just gonna be shooting black spit from beginning to end?

Black, alien spit?

Im guessing thats just the first stage of the aliens. After they infect people you will have different creatures to fight.

Personally I think it looks really interesting and I was a huge fan of the XCOM games back in the day.

Bring it on!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
ghst said:
"study them" = pull out a shotgun and blaze away.
*Q Hands Bond the Manual*
Q: I'm sure you can blow through that in a few hours.
*Bond throws up the manual in the air and the shotguns blast it apart*
Bond: Only took a few seconds

monocromo

Wasn't Bioshock created by Ken Levine/2K Boston..?

Saying that a game from 2K Marin is from the creators of Bioshock is like saying that LittleBigPlanet 2 comes from the creators of Uncharted only because they share the same publisher.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
monocromo said:

Saying that a game from 2K Marin is from the creators of Bioshock is like saying that LittleBigPlanet 2 comes from the creators of Uncharted only because they share the same publisher.

i think many of the developers of the o.g. bioshock work at 2k marin and worked on bioshock 2.

FrankT

monocromo said:

It should say more like Bioshock 2, but iirc the core team from 2K Marin came from 2K Boston. I could be wrong about that. I also thought originally 2K AU was working on this as well which did in fact do the PC version of Bioshock.

StuBurns

Banned
monocromo said:

2K Marin was a studio built from 2K Boston staff.

Melissa somebody was the producer of both games, along with many other staff. It's a fair comment.

ZeroRay

monocromo said:

Well, as long as at least 2 people who worked on a game the publisher is referring to, they can use "from the creators" of line without lying. See: Red Dead Redemption

Router said:
Im guessing thats just the first stage of the aliens. After they infect people you will have different creatures to fight.
I'm kinda hoping the game is somewhat episodic, with each episode having you face off with a different species of alien.

So, the first episode could be the blob aliens in suburbia, the next could be insect aliens in coal mines, then reptile aliens in a city, etc.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Also, saying it's by the people who made Bioshock sells the game better than by saying it's by Irrational Canbe-- sorry, 2K Austra-- sorry, 2K Marin.

There are MicroForte and Freedom Force Irrational guys on the Aussie side of the team, so I do believe they understand X-Com and can make a great 're-imagining'; it's just not one I'll be able to play, since I'm horseshit at shooters.

monocromo

beelzebozo said:
i think many of the developers of the o.g. bioshock work at 2k marin and worked on bioshock 2.

Seems like you are right. Still no Levine but 2k Marin was formed from ex Irrational developers. My bad.

Minsc

Gold Member
The X-COM theme/music is AWESOME. How you can not open the trailer or at least use any one of the numerous tunes which fans have heard for 100s of hours I just don't know.

The gameplay looks slow and dumb... didn't like what I saw. :(

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
EmCeeGramr said:
Well then they should make something that's supposed to look good.
It's not supposed to look good it's supposed to look like something that doesn't belong on this planet or maybe even this reality. And that doesn't mean slapping Star Trek prosthetics on a human. Or making something that looks exactly like the jelly in your fridge.

Minsc

Gold Member
mujun said:
Sure, just seems like an undue amount of hate.

I don't think it's undue at all. You're taking what is basically one of the best PC games made, and making it in to another genre of gaming. If anything, the hate should be totally expected.

EmCeeGramr said:
That was the exact thing I thought once I saw the lightning gun and the funky grenades.

"This is BioShock, above water, with aliens."

2K Marin: Developing Other People's Franchises With 1950s Art-Styles, TODAY!

I rarely say this, but /thread

On the other hand, that Deus Ex 3 preview from Eurogamer actually sounded better than expected!

~Kinggi~ said:
I was actually thinking this looks refreshingly different for an FPS. Surprised to seem so many that disagree.

Yeah it looked different until the bioshock shotgun and sound effetcs popped up and then it was all boom boom boom boom dude bro.

Htown said:
It's not supposed to look good it's supposed to look like something that doesn't belong on this planet or maybe even this reality. And that doesn't mean slapping Star Trek prosthetics on a human. Or making something that looks exactly like the jelly in your fridge.
This is great.

The bad uneven graphics, which look exactly like unfinished and buggy video game graphics on Earth, are actually alien biology.

Maybe next they can throw in clipping, screen tearing, bad animations, and missing textures. You know so that "doesn't look right" feel is perfect.

worst looking game i've seen in a while

even if you ignore the fact that it's called x-com but has nothing in common with actual x-com games, it stilll looks horrible

an ugly, pedestrian looking shooter

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
fna84 said:
<watches 2 min trailer designed for the express purpose of convincing those unfamiliar with the game that it's worth playing that fails miserably>

The game is going to be crap obviously.

totally

Trailer doesn't match the posted blurb at all. 2K wanted to trot out a big new shooter and not tease us with the things that really make us want to actually play the game, which is disappointing.

Macmanus

mujun said:
Hope it rocks and people have to eat serious crow.

I hope it rocks as well. It's hard to imagine people actively hoping for a game to fail.

With that said, I just watched a trailer in which 90% of the game play involved someone shooting at a black puddle while moving in a very cumbersome manner.

I imagine for most of us, even those that enjoyed UFO Defense, our feelings would be the same regardless of the title.

~Kinggi~ said:
I was actually thinking this looks refreshingly different for an FPS. Surprised to seem so many that disagree.
I thought it was just cool enough by itself that the player was given an option to flee and abandon a mission location to avoid death. That risk/reward system wasn't even well explained in that video, nor was the action of how there is a need to first expose the weakness of your blob enemies before finishing them. They really need to show more than just random cuts of shooting shit since it's clear, from previews, that there's much more to the game than that. I mean, there's a tactical element and choice in missions as well as research options which lead to new weaponry, gadgetry, and insight into how to deal with the alien threats based on collected alien technology and physical evidence at the sites ala X-COM. The whole intrigue of finding out more about your enemy based on how much you're willing to risk and how good you are at managing to survive the decision to extend your stay at a site to search and collect that critical item or how you can choose to risk death to save a fellow agent who can, themselves, essentially level up from survived experiences in the field. They're not doing themselves any favors by looking like an ever-so standard FPS.

Really, read the previews and don't rely on the video so far available.

coopolon

I am really surprised that 2k decided to release that trailer. It really does not look good. I liked how someone described it as a Bioshock mod, that's what it looks like, but made by a talented but inexperienced and chronically underfunded mod group. And I'm not hating on it because it's got X-Com in the name, I don't really care. It just looks really really bad.

robor

You guys are truly horrible. This trailer kicked my ass.

~Kinggi~ said:

Yea, I guess we're fools huh? : \

Top Bottom