• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM Debut Trailer and Preview

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Never played X-COM (so don't know if my opinion matters here) but the game looked pretty awesome. The trailer did a good job of creating it's own vibe and seperating itself from the rest of the pack (this is the FPS era afterall). Consider me hyped.

GameSeeker

I used to own X-COM. I played hours and hours and hours of X-COM. X-COM was a great game. This may turn out to be a good game, but this is no X-COM.

butts said:
This looks really awesome. Is it open-world or linear?
From what I understand it's a series of linear missions, but choices you make throughout the game make different missions available. I guess sort of a branching thing.

Edit: maybe the missions aren't linear, that was my impression though

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I've never played an X-COM game, so I'm coming in blind, but I definitely like the idea of huning down and studying aliens in the 50s.

I also enjoyed the X-Files, so that may be where this is coming from.

shuyin_

Banned
I'll be honest: at first i was in the 'what are you doing to my XCOM series'camp, but now after reading the preview, i'm convinced :)

My only worry was about the change of genres: from tbs to fps. Thinking about it, that's the only way a new XCOM game could be made in this day and age. Video games have evolved and now they're a very imporant market. As long as they maintain intact some of the key elements of the XCOM series, i'm ok with it being a shooter.

Seriously, from the preview it sounds like XCOM, only the missions aren't TBS but FPS. Oh, and i don't really care about the changed setting. It's not like the original UFOs were very original in this regard.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I did like the trailer, it looked cool - but yeah, it's pretty much Bioshock above water and with the name of a near completely unrelated game IP attached to it.

I'd never even heard of X-Com before today...

But the new game looks interesting. I like the premise. Art style's interesting. I never much liked the shooting in Bioshock though, it was just... ok.

I hope the protagonist won't be a silent one, and that the narrative will be great. I wonder how the story will go if missions organically come and go like how it's described.

Xater

Didn't impress me at all. Through most of the trailer I was thinking "These are your menacing alines?" What a joke.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Smash88 said:
Looks amazing. This going coming from the Bioshock team, you know it's going to be great.

Haters gonna hate.

It's not from the Bioshock team, it's from 2K Australia... who are now for no discernable reason called 2K Marin.

Minsc

Gold Member
Smash88 said:
Looks amazing. This going coming from the Bioshock team, you know it's going to be great.

Haters gonna hate.

Even putting the X-COM name aside, I didn't see a single thing in the trailer that looked amazing. Graphically it wasn't even B-tier, and the moving seemed like molasses. Weapons seemed bland, and the black noise stuff really didn't look great either.

I don't even want to talk about the audio. X-COM was a masterpiece, the score/music to that trailer was SHIT. Just didn't get it one bit.

Aaron

Destroy all Humans is more and better an X-Com game than this appears to be. Fighting black goop just doesn't seem fun to me at all.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Minsc said:
Even putting the X-COM name aside, I didn't see a single thing in the trailer that looked amazing. Graphically it wasn't even B-tier, and the moving seemed like molasses. Weapons seemed bland, and the black noise stuff really didn't look great either.

I don't even want to talk about the audio. X-COM was a masterpiece, the score/music to that trailer was SHIT. Just didn't get it one bit.

Very true, it's hard to get excited about a shooter where it looks like you shoot blobs of oil.

They should rename this BP Oil Pr Campaign a go-go.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I thought the trailer looked pretty interesting. I'll probably be playing it for the atmosphere more than the gunplay, just like Bioshock.

derFeef said:
My lord people really think blob aliens are the only enemy in this game?

Apparantly. Or maybe they don't, but pretending they do is very convenient for bashing.

This seems to be one of those games that will never get a fair chance from certain people on GAF due to it simply not being what they were expecting and hoping for (see: Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts).

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
This seems to be one of those games that will never get a fair chance from certain people on GAF due to it simply not being what they were expecting and hoping for (see: Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts).
A closer analogy would be if there were no Mario games after Mario 64 and a sequel was released over a decade later only for the game to be a turret defense game instead of a 3D platformer.

derFeef said:
No, but it's the enemy that's being focused on in all the promotional materials, screenshots, trailers, and even the ARG campaign, which makes it a reasonable assumption that they'll be prominent throughout the game.

derFeef

EmCeeGramr said:
No, but it's the enemy that's being focused on in all the promotional materials, screenshots, trailers, and even the ARG campaign, which makes it a reasonable assumption that they'll be prominent throughout the game.
Not really. It makes it a reasonable assumption that those blob things are just the beginning of all evil.

derFeef said:
Not really. It makes it a reasonable assumption that those blob things are just the beginning of all evil.

So you think that the enemies in this game will be more than variations of blob, blob-possessed people, and machines (Maybe some other kind of alien too)?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
derFeef said:

It's what is in the trailer. It's a thread about the trailer, shockingly people discuss the contents of said trailer here.

Said trailer has a dude shooting the floor for 90 seconds.

It be a good rent but I'd have to dust off my xbox....cause I believe its an xbox exclusive. Though why is it only 90 seconds of a guy shooting the floor lol

derFeef

EmCeeGramr said:
So you think that the enemies in this game will be more than variations of blob, blob-possessed people, and machines? Maybe some other kind of alien?
I am no fortune teller, but I am using my common sense here and say there are going to be more than those 3 enemy types.

Sinatar said:
It's what is in the trailer. It's a thread about the trailer, shockingly people discuss the contents of said trailer here.

People are saying "Thats it? you shoot blob the whole game?" make it hard to believe we are discussing the trailer. We are discussing the XCOM series and the hate for it becoming a shooter. I think it looks interesting with a neat artstyle and soundscape.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Sinatar said:

What about all those angry geometric shapes? This could be origin story for Geometry Wars.

derFeef said:
I am no fortune teller, but I am using my common sense here and say there are going to be more than those 3 enemy types.
Well I'm looking at 2k's past games, which had variations of Splicer, Big Daddy, and turret, and that was it, so you are fortune telling by pretending that we have access to information that we don't.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
EmCeeGramr said:

Exactly.

You could see blob possessed people in the trailer too. We can assume you would also fight UFOs, still this game doesn't look promising to me. Even if it wasn't named X-com, although that makes it worse.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
EmCeeGramr said:
Well I'm looking at 2k's past games, which had variations of Splicer, Big Daddy, and turret, and that was it, so you are fortune telling by pretending that we have access to information that we don't.

Oh, come on. Yes, the trailer is a bad sell on many levels, but it's totally obvious - as a videogame, let alone an X-Com videogame - that this is only the first stage of the invasion.

Enemy Unknown, and all.

Gravitom

On a somewhat related note, can anyone recommend a modern X-com style game?

I see UFO:Extraterrestrials was released back in 2007 to somewhat mediocre reviews but there is also UFO:Alien Invasion and Project Xenocide which are both open source and newer. That or I just buy X-Com on Steam.

tiff

Banned
derFeef said:
the blobs don't give me much hope for inspired and original enemy design.

Legendary Warrior said:
the blobs don't give me much hope for inspired and original enemy design.

I don't think being "inspired and original" was the intention. Various blobs and gooey substances are one of the staples of 50s Sci-Fi B-movies, which this game is obviously inspired by, among other things.

derFeef

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
I don't think being "inspired and original" was the intention. Various blobs and gooey substances are one of the staples of 50s Sci-Fi B-movies, which this game is obviously inspired by, among other things.
Thank you. I totally dig the style of the game so far. Fan of 50´s scifi and b-movies so this hits my sweetspot.

Top Bottom