• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM Debut Trailer and Preview

EmCeeGramr said:
Not what I'm reading.

I'm reading the story of an FBI agent who goes to surburban homes to shoot aliens and take photos of them with the BioShock camera.

If it wasn't for the X-COM name, I'd have no idea they were trying to say it was the same series.

Just because it's not identical to the original XCOM doesn't mean it doesn't deserve to be part of the same series.

I would suggest reading the GamesRadar preview but it looks like they took it down

Koopakiller said:
Just because it's not identical to the original XCOM doesn't mean it doesn't deserve to be part of the same series.
You're shoving things into my mouth better than that zombie is doing to Agent York!

eXistor

I liked the trailer (I love the setting, so I'm in whatever the game turns out to be) but it did have a very very distinct Bioshock feel to it. I'm afraid the game won't do enough to really distinguish itself from Bioshock.

Massa said:
The IGN preview is still there, sadly people would rather bitch than read it.

I have read it. Makes the FPS gameplay sound like there is no tactics other than what weapon to use and if you want to bail. Makes the base sound like a cross between the hub world from Mario Galaxy and UNATCO headquarters from Deus Ex. Not terrible maybe, but hardly the geoscope from UFO.

Fugu

Koopakiller said:
Well, usually a game in the same series would have something in common with the other games in the series, whether it be setting, style, theme, developer, objective, genre...

Maybe not all of those things, but how about one of those things?

Gorgon

Koopakiller said:
Yes, except for the turn based strategy part

Huh, there's no bunch of bases around the globe that you build up, neither can you intercept UFO sightings. The game is set in the US only and the missions are chosen for a couple of options on a map. And there's no strategic combat either, turn based or not.

Koopakiller said:

Of course not. All you have to do you is play the (atrocious) XCOM Enforcer to see exactely what you're saying. If that's what you want from the XCOM franchise, than fine.

But I'm still interested.

shuyin_ said:
Oh and if you think this isn't an XCOM game just because it changed genres consider this: Metroid on snes was a side-scrolling game, right? Aren't the new Metroids played in FPS mode? Oh noes, the new Metroids are great but to defend them as Metroid games is just lol-worthy ;)

You can't seriously be this thick.

Odrion

Banned
It looks sorta interesting (if it's open environments with dynamic gameplay) except for the shooting black blobs. I'm SURE that there are going to be a variety of different sort of aliens, but what they showed now was pretty meeeeh.

Also the whole "If you don't like these aliens then go back to fighting stupid cliche sci-fi aliens" is a r-word.org defense. Hell, who the fuck is thick enough that they think that shapeless black blobs are a creative design?

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Odrion said:
Also the whole "If you don't like these aliens then go back to fighting stupid cliche sci-fi aliens" is a r-word.org defense. Hell, who the fuck is thick enough that they think that shapeless black blobs are a creative design?

Is there any chance we can have this discussion without misquotes and insults? It's exasperating.

The blobs are a weapon.

The other aliens will sadly have to be shown at some point, but I'd prefer they didn't, because the theme of X-Com is confronting things that you don't initially understand.

I would have liked a 'canon' X-Com too, and the people making this are perfectly capable of making a turn-based game; they come from strategy game roots. They didn't, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

trailer's not that good, I'm surprised by the reaction it's getting, one thing I'm sure after seeing it,2K seems to like the colour orange

One of the things I think they did right, so far, is show just these completely alien aliens. I really don't want biped greys nor anything that really is just another humanoid. Perhaps humans could be taken, controlled by the alien threat...I mean, what are they doing with the human matter they're deconstructing and sucking up into those strange ring weapons? I really like the brave decision to abandon the standard and not very scary or mysterious alien designs of the old games and, really, classic alien imagery from which they are based. I really hope they get some serious footage of the basic flow and what you can do in the game and just a better explanation of where they're going beyond what is known so far. They really need to by week's end, IMO.

tiff

Banned
D2M15 said:
I would have liked a 'canon' X-Com too, and the people making this are perfectly capable of making a turn-based game; they come from strategy game roots. They didn't, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
this is 2K Marin. they have exactly one game under their belts, and it's not a turn-based strategy game.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Legendary Warrior said:
this is 2K Marin, not Irrational. they have exactly one game under their belts, and it's not a turn-based strategy game.

It's (originally) 2K/Irrational Canberra, who have MicroForte vets and did Freedom Force/FFv3r.

tiff

Banned
D2M15 said:
It's (originally) 2K/Irrational Canberra, who have MicroForte vets and did Freedom Force/FFv3r.
i'm not going to pretend to be an expert on 2K's studio history, but from what i understand, only 5 guys from Irrational left for Marin when Marin was formed.

Legendary Warrior said:
i'm not going to pretend to be an expert on 2K's studio history, but from what i understand, only 5 guys from Irrational left for Marin when Marin was formed.

I think it went something like this actually: 5 guys from 2K Boston, now known by their original name Irrational Games, left for the initial incarnation of 2K Marin which was in California. 2K Australia, formerly Irrational Canberra, is now 2K Marin for some unknown reason, and is the studio making XCOM. And they do indeed have some experience in these matters.

shuyin_

Banned
Koopakiller said:
But really, we're getting the best of both worlds, people: superior FPS gameplay combined with the core elements that made XCOM.
That's what i was trying to explain over the last page. Too bad some GAFers are close-minded and bent on trolling a game before it releases.

Apparently they think what defines XCOM is the tactical combat offered by the TBS genre. So basically, the genre defines the series known as UFO/XCOM. Yet, if i tell them Final Fantasy Tactics shares the same tactical combat, they'll say it's not XCOM. But it should be, according to their logic ;)
i don't mean to undermine the importance of TBS combat for the series, but that's not what defined the XCOM games. After all, there were/are plenty of other TBS games
-------------------------
jim-jam bongs said:
You can't seriously be this thick.
Give me a break; i've never played any of the Metroid games, hence the question marks. I just know a few things about them, but it seemd like a good analogy to prove my point. Care to elaborate why it isn't?
-------------------------
water_wendi said:
Did you read the rest of my post? The part where i wrote "Lets see how strategy is going to make it into this FPS reboot" and took from the press release what they meant by "strategy?"
:lol you've got to be kidding me
How many times should i tell you? You misunderstood what they meant by strategy in that press release. Reading your post again, you seem to think they admited strategy as being the core behind the series:
water_wendi said:
2K themselves admit that strategy is the core behind the X-Com franchise. Lets see how strategy is going to make it into this FPS reboot.
However, in this part of the press release "XCOM combines the strategic core of the groundbreaking franchise with a suspense-filled narrative and distills it into a tense and unique first-person shooter experience.", they were referring to the base planning portion of the game which was confirmed to be in the new XCOM.

I can't believe i'm explaining a press release to you. I also can't believe you were given membership on this forum; you're either a kid, either someone with reading comprehension problems. Not to mention you used insults twice. Unprovoked. I guess GAF is turning into gamefaqs :)

shuyin_ said:
Apparently they think what defines XCOM is the tactical combat offered by the TBS genre. So basically, the genre defines the series known as UFO/XCOM. Yet, if i tell them Final Fantasy Tactics shares the same tactical combat, they'll say it's not XCOM. But it should be, according to their logic ;)

Final Fantasy Tactics has the same gameplay as UFO in the same way that Oblivion has the same gameplay as Half-Life. I suppose that this is crazy moon logic to you but I'll share it anyway.

shuyin_

Banned
More Fun To Compute said:
Final Fantasy Tactics has the same gameplay as UFO in the same way that Oblivion has the same gameplay as Half-Life. I suppose that this is crazy moon logic to you but I'll share it anyway.
I wasn't referring to gameplay, but genre and how the combat has a very tactical aspect in both games due both being turned based strategies.

But apparently on GAF, putting words into someone's mouth, or being unable to understand simple words and sentences is a national sport. At this point, i'm used to you people replying to my posts in regard to things i didn't say (but you imagined i said) :D

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Wario64 said:
What is this shit.
Came in to post this.

Hey the game looks alright but an XCom reboot that is a shooter? Please give me a al reboot and rename this something else.

Please....

Gorgon

Blackace said:
Came in to post this.

Hey the game looks alright but an XCom reboot that is a shooter? Please give me a al reboot and rename this something else.

Please....

It's not even the first. Check out XCOM Enforcer, the 4th Xcom game. Xcom shooter goodness!

shuyin_ said:
I wasn't referring to gameplay, but genre and how the combat has a very tactical aspect in both games due both being turned based strategies.

But apparently on GAF, putting words into someone's mouth, or being unable to understand simple words and sentences is a national sport. At this point, i'm used to you people replying to my posts in regard to things i didn't say (but you imagined i said) :D

I was referring to how both Oblivion and Half-Life are first person games and have a very action oriented pointing at things and killing them aspect. So I did know what you were talking about and was pointing out to you how it could possibly look fairly silly to people as it conflates two very different games into one thing when you refuse to do the same thing for other games. For example by ignoring the fact that the "unique" aspects of UFO as you see them are the 4x gameplay elements that are present in many other titles. It's the whole of UFO that is unique and valuable and the more that is changed the less UFO like it is. This game is so changed that it is quite hard to work out what is being kept from the original in this new XCOM game.

Blackace

Gorgon said:
It's not even the first. Check out XCOM Enforcer, the 4th Xcom game. Xcom shooter goodness!
At least it was a space ship

KTallguy

Banned
X-Com tactical combat is very different from FF: Tactics and other JP strategy games.
X-Com puts more emphasis on sight lines, discovering the enemy, reserving AP for counter attack actions, keeping the morale of your units high, and sacrificing soldiers at key points.

FF is more about mixing classes and positioning for attacks, and I rarely end a battle with anyone dead. You can usually see the entire enemy force at the battle's start. Terrain height is important but discovering the terrain isn't as key. There are normally no civilians.

The important thing to note is that X-Com is more than just tactical combat. X-Com has cool base management/unit management/technology research systems, as well as a diplomacy game behind it. These systems, along with the combat itself, are just begging to be streamlined and refreshed for this generation.

I think there are just too many shooters out there, even though I enjoy them. I hope that they can try to fit more of these simulations into this new X-com.

It's hard to be optimistic.

Blackace

Luigiv said:
Looks... really bad. The aiming looked choppy and sluggish and the art design just misses the mark.

Yeah it doesn't seem to have any of the style of the first two....

I wouldn't mind seeing a game like this with a different name and save xcom for a different day

Luigiv

Blackace said:
Yeah it doesn't seem to have any of the style of the first two....

I wouldn't mind seeing a game like this with a different name and save xcom for a different day
Well I wouldn't know about previous X-com games, haven't played any yet (though they are sitting in my steam back log). I just felt the art missed the mark as a stereotypical take on 1950s America. Something is just "off" about it. I'd probably pin it on how empty the environments look. Where is that cosiness the stereotype dictates?

shuyin_

Banned
For example by ignoring the fact that the "unique" aspects of UFO as you see them are the 4x gameplay elements that are present in many other titles.
Many 4X titles have micromanagement. However, what is unique to XCOM is the fact that these aspects are uniquely tied into the gameplay of the XCOM series: base planning while in geoscape view, personell management, funding (from the world's nations) wich depends on how well you preogress. What i'm trying to say is these micromanagement aspects found in the geoscape phase of the game, gave XCOM its personality.

This game is so changed that it is quite hard to work out what is being kept from the original in this new XCOM game.
No it's not. Basically, regarding gameplay (i'm not talking about art design), the only thing that's changed is the battlescape, which instead of being TBS is now a FPS. The geoscape phase seems to be more or less the same.

As someone else said on the previous page: "we're getting the best of both worlds, people: superior FPS gameplay combined with the core elements that made XCOM."

Wow, looks great! I saw the name passing by on Gametrailers.com but I thought it was some strategy game or something. Now it happens to be a new innovative FPS, just like Bioshock was, with a great art style. Wonderful!

BTW, it has the same 'problem' that the Fallout 3 announcement had. Everyone remembers the previous installment(s) as the games they were and if the sequels do not look like that at all, may it be in gameplay or visual style, hell breaks loose. I think Fallout 3 is the perfect example for showing that a total revamp of a game concept isn't always for the worse.

Gorgon

shuyin_ said:
No it's not. Basically, regarding gameplay (i'm not talking about art design), the only thing that's changed is the battlescape, which instead of being TBS is now a FPS. The geoscape phase seems to be more or less the same.

As someone else said on the previous page: "we're getting the best of both worlds, people: superior FPS gameplay combined with the core elements that made XCOM."

No, no and no. It has been said millions of times that there is no spaceship interception, no world map (just US), missions are picked from a couple of possibilities on a map, and there may not even be more than one base (when considering the misson structure, but we'll have to see about that when more info comes). Add to that complete lack of tactical combat and I fail to see what does this have to do with XCOM. Looks like a cool game, though.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Pizza Luigi said:
Wow, looks great! I saw the name passing by on Gametrailers.com but I thought it was some strategy game or something. Now it happens to be a new innovative FPS, just like Bioshock was, with a great art style. Wonderful!

BTW, it has the same 'problem' that the Fallout 3 announcement had. Everyone remembers the previous installment(s) as the games they were and if the sequels do not look like that at all, may it be in gameplay or visual style, hell breaks loose. I think Fallout 3 is the perfect example for showing that a total revamp of a game concept isn't always for the worse.

Innovating since '99 under a different name.

Also that Fallout 3 comparison has also been refuted because this is nothing like XCOM while F3 had tons of homages, concepts and designs straight from 1&2.

shuyin_ said:
The geoscape phase seems to be more or less the same.

We have seen nothing of the geoscope and the previews make it sound totally different.

You are also continuing with this line of "the geoscope is so different while the tactical mission are so samey" while only offering evidence like "Final Fantasy Tactics also has turn based tactics." I don't see how you can do this while accusing people of not understanding what you are saying and ignoring arguments.

When you are looking for evidence for Bioshock gameplay game being an unquestionable improvement over UFO gameplay the best you can find is a quote from a poster on this thread. Really? Is this a strong argument that is supposed to convince us crazy doubters?

shuyin_

Banned
Gorgon said:
No, no and no. It has been said millions of times that there is no spaceship interception, no world map (just US), missions are picked from a couple of possibilities on a map, and there may not even be more than one base (when considering the misson structure, but we'll have to see about that when more info comes). Add to that complete lack of tactical combat and I fail to see what does this have to do with XCOM. Looks like a cool game, though.
Has it been officially confirmed there are no interceptions? link please

LM4sure

Banned
This is not XCOM. FUCK!!!

How dare they make this series into another generic FPS. Are they going to keep any of the gameplay from the original? Will I be able to study alien technology to make better weapons?

robor

HK-47 said:
Innovating since '99 under a different name.

Also that Fallout 3 comparison has also been refuted because this is nothing like XCOM while F3 had tons of homages, concepts and designs straight from 1&2.

Do we have enough evidence to prove that this game doesn't yet?

LM4sure

Banned
Truant said:
Something tells me this will be a lot better than Fallout 3, though. Proper XCOM game or not.

That's not comparing apples to apples. Fallout 3 isn't an FPS. And Fallout 3 was a lot more original.

Gorgon

shuyin_ said:
Has it been officially confirmed there are no interceptions? link please

No, but looking at the information given for the mission structure I doubt it pretty much. I'm basing myself on what was revealed and I don't see how interception fits the structure. I could be wrong and I'd gladly hope I would. On the other hand, has it been officially confirmed that all the features from the Geoscope are retained? Link please :lol

Truant

LM4sure said:
That's not comparing apples to apples. Fallout 3 isn't an FPS. And Fallout 3 was a lot more original.

What?

I think what I've seen from XCOM has a lot more personality than the cold and embarassing Fallout 3 ever will. I guess it's unfair to compare them on a number of levels, especially seeing as we know very little about XCOM.

shuyin_

Banned
When you are looking for evidence for Bioshock gameplay game being an unquestionable improvement over UFO gameplay the best you can find is a quote from a poster on this thread. Really? Is this a strong argument that is supposed to convince us crazy doubters?
:lol
This is the 2nd time you're putting words into my mouth, in an interval of about 30min. I didn't look for evidence for FPS gameplay being > TBS gameplay. I didn't quote that guy trying to prove FPS > TBS; i quoted him inthe context that some of the unique aspects of XCOM have been carried over. Actually, if you read some of my previous posts you'll see i explained how i simply don't care if the battlescape is now FPS instead of TBS, and i'm just gonna enjoy a new XCOM.

Now i'm trying to prove FPS > TBS? Is that what you understood? :lol I'm starting to think some of you guys are seriously lacking in some cognitive processes.

Gorgon said:
No, but looking at the information given for the mission structure I doubt it pretty much. I'm basing myself on what was revealed and I don't see how interception fits the structure. I could be wrong and I'd gladly hope I would. On the other hand, has it been officially confirmed that all the features from the Geoscope are retained? Link please :lol
You're trying to be funny. How cute
Do you want me to quote myself? I said 'The geoscape phase seems to be more or less the same.' But even though you can read, you like to interpret what i say. As i said, putting words into one's mouth is a national sport on GAF. This should be bannable btw

Top Bottom