• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlestar Galactica Online

Zen

Banned
Trailer: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-battlestar-galactica/101198

BSG Online is a 3D browser based MMO made using the 3D Unity Engine. It looks like the trailer is done using in game assets, etc, though I'd eat my hat if a browser based engine could have that level of in game motion blur. :lol

Still it looks pretty fantastic.

Teaser Site: http://www.bgo.bigpoint.com/

Battlestar Galactica is over, but that doesn't mean NBC is done cashing in. They're teaming up with Bigpoint to launching Battlestar Galactica Online, a browser-based massively multiplayer game set in the popular universe.

"Battlestar Galactica is a supremely gameable intellectual property, with compelling character classes, a fantastic array of ships and weaponry, multiple worlds, and a dramatic storyline," said vice president and general manager of digital platforms for Universal Partnerships & Licensing Bill Kispert.

"We are excited to work with Bigpoint - and our partners at Universal Cable Productions and Syfy - to bring an epic, accessible, and 'always on' BSG experience to fans of the franchise and online gamers alike."

The new game will feature tactical space combat and mission-based gameplay, bringing to mind Cryptic's Star Trek Online. It will also apparently be possible to choose between Cylon and Human, though whether you can play as one of the humanoid models is unclear.

http://www.ugo.com/games/battlestar-galactica-mmo-game

We'll probably learn some more in the next few days. We'd previously been hearing 2010 release window. I wonder if it will bsaically be a dogfight game, it would be funny if Syfy etc actually managed to get a competent BSG flights game out before the fan community that started working on things when the show was practically brand new. :lol

PowderedToast

MUTLIPLE DRAEDUS DETECTED!!

IT'S A CYLON FLEET SIR!!!

POWER UP THE FTL DRIVES!!!

ENGAGE VIPERS!!!!!!

WE'VE TAKEN MAJOR DAMAGE IN THE HULL!!!!!!

FIRE NUKES!!!!!!!

*BASESTAR DESTROYED* you gain 100exp

What a waste. The BSG show has all of the mechanics necessary for a fantastic FPS or TPS. Gun combat, space combat, and a long travel through space stopping at many different planets along the way that would allow for sensible sequels and expansions of the franchise.

Won said:
adamapuke.gif
1z3qpts.gif

Jackano

I <3 Memes said:
What a waste. The BSG show has all of the mechanics necessary for a fantastic FPS or TPS. Gun combat, space combat, and a long travel through space stopping at many different planets along the way that would allow for sensible sequels and expansions of the franchise.
This is more the Stargate series to me.

BSG is not just Vipers combats, and certainly it is not a good candidat for a simple FPS. It can provide a good sci-fi background for a more vaste MMO like EVE Online, alongside another TV shows. I'm just thinking of an EVE-like game with BSG, Firefly, and others "secondary" sci-fi IPs ships and peoples.

Zenith

Banned
ingame screens

battlestar-galactica-online-20100616072547429.jpg

battlestar-galactica-online-20100616072537929.jpg

battlestar-galactica-online-20100616072553194.jpg

battlestar-galactica-online-20100616072601053.jpg

battlestar-galactica-online-20100616072612053.jpg

battlestar-galactica-online-20100616072618177.jpg

to be fair, the Unity engine is pretty darn powerful as anyone who's played Interstellar Marines' online demo knows.

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/109/1099562p1.html

When it was announced in March that a Battlestar Galactica MMO was in development, there was much cheering. Then it became known that it was going to be browser-based, and there was much, much less cheering. Maybe even some disappointed sighs. Today, IGN had the opportunity to see some very early, pre-alpha gameplay of Bigpoint's Battlestar MMO, and now we are conflicted.

On one hand, we feel like BSG should be getting the full MMO treatment, but on the other, what we saw today was surprisingly impressive.

The game is intended to be combat-centric, and we saw a tiny glimpse of this, though the details rushed by far too quickly to glean anything of worth. There was, however, a hotbar of some sort in the bottom left corner. Players do level up – assumedly through gaining experience from combat – and there is an economy that is centered on resources such as titanium, water and tylium (the currency of the Battlestar universe – or at least the MMO). To obtain some of these resources, including titanium, there will be gathering professions such as mining.

At the moment the game is going to be purely ship-based like EVE Online. No ground interaction to speak of.

We were told that Bigpoint was going after a mainstream audience, so there's a chance that the die-hard Battlestar fans may feel alienated.

Jackano

Played it a bit, it's shit. Everything is slow, ship controls are tidious, characters modeling is hilarious... Could be awesome if it was a full PC/console game, but browser game by bigpoint? What a waste!

I would like to try this but it's still in beta. Assume they will wipe everyone's character when this is taken out of this open beta? Rather not invest any time into it till later.

Top Bottom