• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sonic Colors In Game Footage

AniHawk said:
My quick and dirty impressions:

I played Sonic Colors, which the booth guy said wouldn't have any extra stuff outside Sonic levels. Sonic's powers aren't really all that bad either, although only one of the two I saw really seemed to do anything. I noticed there were a coupled different paths to collectible items, so some exploration and platforming is encouraged. The DS version is basically a different game with the same themes for the levels, because it's 2D.

If you guys have some questions, ask.

Framerate of the Wii version?

Boney

Banned
AniHawk said:

I played Sonic Colors, which the booth guy said wouldn't have any extra stuff outside Sonic levels. Sonic's powers aren't really all that bad either, although only one of the two I saw really seemed to do anything. I noticed there were a coupled different paths to collectible items, so some exploration and platforming is encouraged. The DS version is basically a different game with the same themes for the levels, because it's 2D.

Please tell me there's no new sidekick

AniHawk

Boney said:
Please tell me there's no new sidekick

there is not. the gimmicks this time are the powers, and you don't even need to use them to get through the game unless you want to unlock everything (according to the guy at the booth).

Hero of Legend said:
Framerate of the Wii version?

It looked pretty smooth. I never noticed any stuttering, but I honestly can't differentiate between 30 fps and 60 fps so if you're asking me that, i can't give an answer.

Teknoman

AniHawk said:

Was the Wii version any fun at all? Also how were the controls?

Boney

Banned
AniHawk said:
there is not. the gimmicks this time are the powers, and you don't even need to use them to get through the game unless you want to unlock everything (according to the guy at the booth).
YES!

And how did it play? It looked pretty bad on the video.. same old same old I suppose?

Also, did you ask about the length? Werehog was included because just regular Sonic would make the game to short right?

And how do the powers work?

AniHawk said:
It looked pretty smooth. I never noticed any stuttering, but I honestly can't differentiate between 30 fps and 60 fps so if you're asking me that, i can't give an answer.

Yeah that was my point in asking. Thanks anyway. :)

AniHawk

Teknoman said:
Was the Wii version any fun at all? Also how were the controls?

A is jump and homing. B is dash (like in Sonic Rush). Z is slide. Shake the controller to activate a power. That's... pretty much it, I think. Oh, and you tilt the nunchuk sometimes to have sonic slide on sharp turns. It's not bad, but it's the same sort of "whoa shit, i better not jump too far" floatiness that's been going on since Sonic Adventure. I didn't notice how floaty it felt until I played Sonic 4. That game felt like it was more closely nailing the weight of classic Sonic.

You know, I don't think the level was "fun," but it I could see there being fun in the exploration, since there appear to be several multiple routes (although they don't deviate too much from each other).

Boney said:
YES!

And how did it play? It looked pretty bad on the video.. same old same old I suppose?

Also, did you ask about the length? Werehog was included because just regular Sonic would make the game to short right?

And how do the powers work?

It's like Sonic Adventure (I guess more like sonic unleashed at this point). Levels last about 3 minutes each. 2 levels then a boss battle. there looked like it would be about 9-10 worlds/areas (didn't really count). I didn't ask the guy about the length, though.

for powers, you have to find a container with a power first, then you shake the wii remote to activate it. one is this lightning pinball attack where sonic bounces around the stage like crazy while time is slowed down. i can't really think of much of an excuse for that one, but there's another power that makes sonic into a drill and you can go underground, find collectibles, and new areas/ways to beat the level. that one seemed much more useful.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
I AM JOHN! said:
So basically it's Sonic Unleashed without the werehog. While that's an improvement, it's still not exactly a good thing, guys.
Basically :/

It is good looking game though. Also appreciate the more surreal direction they took with the environment design.

But the gameplay I've seen so far just brings me down :(

IrishNinja

I AM JOHN! said:
So basically it's Sonic Unleashed without the werehog. While that's an improvement, it's still not exactly a good thing, guys.

nay. werehog wasnt really Unleashed's issue for me, it was "YOU NEED 26 MORE BLUE COINS TO PLAY THIS LEVEL" or whatever it was. Unleashed played alright, i thought...it was the fetch-quests that killed it for me.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Wow, I was expecting shit, just like the rest of the wii sonic games, but this looked pretty good.
It looked & played the like the next Gen Sonic Unleashed daytime levels & not the dumb down versions on the wii.

Ydahs

Sega really know how to push the Wii hardware. Haven't played any of the Sonic games, but it's a shame that the general consensus is that they are average.

Would've liked to see something new and original with this engine, but heck, we don't even know if this one will follow the modern Sonic trend.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Looks absolutely awesome. Like Sonic Unleashed 360 2, only featuring daytime levels. If they don't fuck it up, it could very well be the best 3D Sonic so far :).

Honestly, the game doesn't look half bad, but can someone explain how the hell that guy got an S Rank? He was playing terribly. Also, I'd like to give the word to everyone recording off screen footage at E3 that you don't have to show us the player's hands every 10 seconds, or keep moving the camera. Just the opposite would be nice, actually.

At any rate, this looks like it has potential. The controls don't look perfect, but it the levels remain well paced and to the point without a lot of crappy unneeded segments I could see picking this up at some point. Maybe not day one, but eventually.

Sonic Colors, first how is that possible on the Wii graphically?!

Its Sonic Unleashed (the HD versions), there is no hiding it, it is pure Sonic Unleashed day stage but only the best parts and more of the great 2D sections. Plus they add the cool power ups that add to the gameplay rather than subtract from it. If this game is truly all Sonic, nothing but stages like this then we have found the greatest Sonic 3D game of all time. That might not mean much to you guys but it does to me.

Teknoman

MiamiWesker said:
Sonic Colors, first how is that possible on the Wii graphically?!

Its Sonic Unleashed (the HD versions), there is no hiding it, it is pure Sonic Unleashed day stage but only the best parts and more of the great 2D sections. Plus they add the cool power ups that add to the gameplay rather than subtract from it. If this game is truly all Sonic, nothing but stages like this then we have found the greatest Sonic 3D game of all time. That might not mean much to you guys but it does to me.

Hey Wesker, 100% with you there. Stable framerate + catchy soundtrack + strange stage zones + fun/stable controls = greatness.

Probably should check into the Sonic 4 thread to see whats up there. E3 info overload.

Teknoman

Impressions from a site i've never heard of:

http://www.gamexplain.com/article-134-1276648556-e3-2010-sonic-colors-hands-on.html

sonic1.jpg

These wisps play a large part in Sonic’s latest adventure, as their abilities grant Sonic the ability to navigate the environment in new and unique ways. One such power, known as the yellow drill, allowed us to tunnel through the earth at high-speed, which was somewhat reminiscent of the drill ability seen in the recent Mario Galaxy 2. Another power we saw was the Cyan Laser, which allows Sonic to rocket-off in a specified direction at super-sonic speeds. Although we saw three in total, Sega hinted that several more await in the final version.

The wisps do a great job of adding diversity to Sonic’s staple run and jump gameplay without slowing down the pace. Speaking of pace, this game is fast and controls tighter than most previous 3D Sonic outings, resulting in a very pleasant experience. Motion-controls are used almost exclusively for activating the whisps--a smart implementation considering the problems that could have arose if used for the platforming itself.

2(2).jpg

I'd say this is the closest Sonic has ever come to meeting the graphic style of Sonic CD/ early titles and current gaming tech.

Hopefully that lame opening lyric theme isnt indicative of the rest of the soundtrack (wasnt for Unleashed so maybe the same will happen here).

RobbieNick

Back from first day of E3 and meeting up with Takashi Iizuka!

You guys already posted the interview, so here's Nuckles87's impressions of the game...

http://www.sonicstadium.org/articles/sonic-colors-preview

And here's mine. Mostly focusing on DS as me and Nux have mostly the same view on the Wii game.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/articles/sonic-colors-impressions-wii-and-ds

This is by far, the most fun I've had playing a Sonic game in a long time! They kept what worked great in recent Sonic games and left out the crap. (Werehog) The Unleashed controls are even easier this time! Also, it play like 360 Unleashed. Not the crummy Wii version. Also no hubs!! Just a large. They really went all out on this one. My only complaint is that it was a bit too easy. That could be because it's the earliest levels. Time will tell.

It's colorful, it's playful, but most of all.... it's fun! Get hyped. You're about to receive the best 3-D Sonic game in years, if not ever.

BTW, during the Iizuka interview, I could hear a little of the music in Sweet Mountain and it was real good.

RpgN

A sonic unleashed sequel? Sold! It looks so good and I was begging for a sequel with a bit of more polish. Hopefully it delivers :D

Boerseun

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:

Sonic Unleashed Wii is a different game to the HD versions.

Alpha_eX

For a Wii game, that looks incredible. Watching the cam video, I thought it was an xbox game until I say the waggle icon appear.

Why For?

Banned
So I was right? Sonic Unleashed without the werehog levels?

Sold.

Can't believe how man Wii games I'll be buying over the next 12 months. Amazing.

RobbieNick

Boerseun said:
Sonic Unleashed Wii is a different game to the HD versions.

But it's not like the Wii Unleashed. MUCH more like the 360 Unleashed in controls and camera but with improved controls. No QTE this time. Just keep hitting "A" to do some mid air tricks. Drifting is handles by just tilting the nunchuck. And areas where you have to hop from pole to pole or dash from side to side are handled by merely tapping the joystick left and right rather than hitting the L and R triggers. The controls are IMPROVED from Unleashed.

Sciz

I'm concerned about what those red star coins rings are for.

Everything else has this weird aura of competence and vague familiarity I haven't felt from the series in ages.

pakkit

Banned
For a second I was hyped because I was reading the GAF impressions. Then I saw it was RobbieNick and took a sigh of relief.

That said, 2D/2.5D gaming is king on the Wii platform. De Blob 2 (multiplat), Epic Mickey, SMG2, Sonic Colors, DKCReturns, Kirby Epic Yarn, Batman: The Bold and the Brave. And those are just the games on the pipeline.

The visuals are really, really impressive. I'm honestly surprised that this isn't going to the HD twins either, as it looks like a successor to Unleashed.

cory said:
Looks great, amazing graphics. Sidescrolling sections look fun, but can someone tell Sega that they need to end this decade plus experiment of letting sonic move in 3 dimensions?

It is not the 3 dimensions that is the problem. It is the implementation. The 3d Sonic games have been linear rollercoaster games. Its been proven that 3d platformers can work and work beautifully and Sonic needs to adapt.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Warm Machine said:
It is not the 3 dimensions that is the problem. It is the implementation. The 3d Sonic games have been linear rollercoaster games. Its been proven that 3d platformers can work and work beautifully and Sonic needs to adapt.
So logical it hurts.

Warm Machine said:

This is the absolute truth. Neither the 3D nor the 2D Sonic games have been any good since Sonic the Hedgehog 3/Knuckles. A talented developer would make an amazing Sonic 3D platformer. Imagine a Sonic game from Naughty Dog, or Sucker Punch, or Nintendo, or anyone other than Sega...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Teknoman said:
Hey Wesker, 100% with you there. Stable framerate + catchy soundtrack + strange stage zones + fun/stable controls = greatness.

Probably should check into the Sonic 4 thread to see whats up there. E3 info overload.
Out of the two,
I prefer Sonic 4. Speed runs are gonna be fun as hell in that game.

Top Bottom