• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this about cut content from OoT?

Neiteio

With the announcement of OoT 3D, I've been reading comments about content that was cut from the original, such as an alleged Sky Temple and Ice Temple, and a Light Temple to go along with the medallion Rauru simply gives you. What's the basis for these claims that three dungeons were cut?

If true, how cool (and very very unlikely) it would be for Nintendo to retcon OoT, add a couple new sages and three new dungeons. One can dream, I suppose.

I assume the Ice Temple would have taken the place of the Ice Caverns. No idea about the others--it's the first I've heard of it too.

I think it's very likely OoT 3D will have added content just as Mario 64 DS did.

I doubt very much that they'd add new Sages, however. The sages with exception of Rauru were all incorporated meticulously into the storyline and it's hard to imagine them appending equally memorable characters.

Those sound more like rumors than facts.

There were a lot of weird rumors about Zelda: OoT. I think it was because the game came out when the Internet was still very young, and people could tell lies and Photoshop screenshots, put it on a personal website, and people would believe the stuff.

Other notable rumors include: Accessing the Triforce from a hole in the ground in Hyrule Field, getting the Black Tunic, and a code that let you play as Zelda.

OnPoint

I remember hearing about those too.

Are there any actual sources that have statements about them as cut content?

Feep

Banned
The young days of the internet will be forever linked in my mind to ridiculous, insane Pokemon rumors.

loosus

Banned
There is some extra content included in the Ocarina of Time cartridge, but who knows what that was actually linked to. Every game nowadays has that type of content included but inaccessible.

Sporty

Neo Member
Luigi playable in Mario 64 was around for awhile also.

I don't think they announced anything about OoT 3DS other then showing a video.

If it's from word of mouth it's most like BS. Even stories on gaming blogs are crap sometimes. If you can't find the info on the games developer/publisher site then it probably originated from someone ass.

Sirius

Even if such content was omitted from the final version, some of it would have made it's way to Master Quest during the GC era. I doubt they'd take resources away from current Zelda projects to focus on making new dungeons for the OoT remake.

Ezduo

Banned
Feep said:
The young days of the internet will be forever linked in my mind to ridiculous, insane Pokemon rumors.
1feav4.jpg

ACCURSED TRUCK, REVEAL YOUR SECRETS

Sanic

There was (is?) a website where a bunch of people just trawled through different areas of OOT, looking for the triforce, when it was infact never in the game in any (collectable) form.

So true.

loosus

Banned
rottendevice said:
This video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7un-hQ3E_9c&feature=player_embedded

Greatest Zelda 64 secret ever. :lol :lol
That's just fucking stupid. Yes, it's interesting that hair is associated with his model in RAM, but the author's assertion that somebody at Nintendo fucked up the game by accidentally taking away Grog's hair is ridiculous. The guy went so far as to say that the developers didn't check the fact that he was bald before shipping the game and that "[he] just did a better job loading up his hair than they did." What a fucking lunatic.

The sky temple was part of an elaborate OoT Triforce hoax back in the day.
The Ice Cavern has a map but isn't a full dungeon, forget if it was ever meant to be a full dungeonM
The Temple of Light is already in the game and Rauru gives you a medallionM
There is a tob of hidden content, yes, such as beta crap and ura crap (ravaged Hyrule Field), but the only other real thibg missing was fighting on horseback with a sword.
Sure they'll try to re-add that in.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
TSA said:
The Ice Cavern has a map but isn't a full dungeon, forget if it was ever meant to be a full dungeonM
There is a tob of hidden content, yes, such as beta crap and ura crap (ravaged Hyrule Field), but the only other real thibg missing was fighting on horseback with a sword.
Wasn't there a sword pedestal and Ocarina marker where Lord Jabu Jabu was as well?

FSLink

Banned
I wonder if they'll add any of the Ura Zelda stuff or add in the Master Quest dungeons as a bonus (cool points if they make the dungeons to their MQ versions only if you type your name in as Zelda). Didn't Miyamoto say something about wanting to add more end game content but couldn't due to time?

This is the first I'm hearing about this.

If this is true than it'd be cool to see this content in the OoT remake for the 3DS. I'm hoping for a enhanced remake with new surprises and content. I'm glad to hear that Aunoma said to IGN that it won't be a enhanced port but they're planning to take advantage of the 3DS capabilities.

Man, I can't wait for this! Why am I more excited for this than Skyward Sword? Who cares, two Zelda games coming out soon! :D

Feep

Banned
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
This is the first I'm hearing about this.

If this is true than it'd be cool to see this content in the OoT remake for the 3DS. I'm hoping for a enhanced remake with new surprises and content. I'm glad to hear that Aunoma said to IGN that it won't be a enhanced port but they're planning to take advantage of the 3DS capabilities.

Man, I can't wait for this! Why am I more excited for this than Skyward Sword? Who cares, two Zelda games coming out soon! :D
Because Skyward Sword doesn't look impressive at all?

There was nothing SHOWN. Just the same old Zelda items (plus a Whip and a Flying Beetle, whatever) with MotionPlus controls. I tried out those MotionPlus controls, and they really didn't do anything for the experience, personally. It felt more like a technical demonstration.

Edit: This is probably a derail. Pokemon rumors, continue!

Ezduo said:
1feav4.jpg

ACCURSED TRUCK, REVEAL YOUR SECRETS

Didn't you need to have a Machamp with Strength to do it? I actually did all of that.

Also tried for all 150 Pokemon to get Mew from Bill: got 148. Tauros+Kangaskhan :(

Feep said:
Because Skyward Sword doesn't look impressive at all?

There was nothing SHOWN. Just the same old Zelda items (plus a Whip and a Flying Beetle, whatever) with MotionPlus controls. I tried out those MotionPlus controls, and they really didn't do anything for the experience, personally. It felt more like a technical demonstration.

Edit: This is probably a derail. Pokemon rumors, continue!
No, no! That's not what I'm implying at all! I'm actually excited for Skyward Sword but OoT is like my childhood, nostalgia, and the greatest game of all-time all rolled into one! And I never would've thought Nintendo would do something like this, which is why I'm looking forward to the game so much!

I'm just glad it's not a port but they're making a brand new game using OoT as the foundation. Nintendo has been pretty awesome with enhanced remakes like Metroid Zero Mission.

It's going to be glorious!

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Unseen 64 has a few articles about Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Zelda: Ocarina Of Time [Gameshark Beta Quest]

Zelda: Ocarina of Time [Debug Version & Test Map]

Zelda 64: Ocarina Of Time [N64 - Beta / Tech Demo / Proto]

Project Zelda 3D: The Development of Zelda 64

It's funny, the ideas they mention for Zelda 64DD remind me of the original hype for Fable. The trees you chop down stay chopped down! There's also a translation of an Anouma interview where he mentions a cut temple and cut spells.

I'd be surprised if the 3DS remake has any significant content added. Maybe...Some first person perspective where things are thrown at your face. That already happened when you used the bow didn't it? Man it's been awhile since I've played the ole TOoT.

TSA said:

First I have heard of that stuff. Cool.

OoT will never stop amazing me.
MM is a slightly better game, though.

Neiteio

Someone mentioned adding horseback combat to OoT 3D... That would be a nice addition. Post-apocalyptic Hyrule always felt sort of barren for a world overrun with evil. I think they should add a couple packs of boar-riding bokoblins to Adult Link's Hyrule Field. Maybe a swarm of keese or kargoroks here or there to trail Epona in the air.

For the most part the fields will still be wide-open expanses, but it'd be fun to, say, leave Castle Town and have three boars with two bokoblins each spawn over near Gerudo Valley, and attack you as you pass Lon Lon Ranch. Imagine striking one off its steed with your sword, sending its ragdoll corpse hurtling toward the screen... IN 3D!! It's too good an opportunity to pass up.

While I'm on the subject of Hyrule Field, I think they should also add changing weather in addition to the dawn/day/dusk/night cycle. I want to see a gathering storm, with 3D rainfall lashing the screen. And it'd be swell if they kept the classic Hyrule Field theme, but looped it such that after several minutes it segues into the main Zelda theme, and after several minutes of that loops back into Hyrule Field's theme.

Add three-dozen or so new secret grottos to uncover by bombing random spots, and Hyrule Field will be well-worth exploring again. :)

Looking at OoT's screenshots the graphics have really not aged well at all. The new screens are a shocking improvement really. It'd be awesome if someone could get some comparison shots going on.

Some of it didn't work and had to be cut. I remember hearing that they wanted every one of Link's footsteps in the game to leave a permanent footprint.

Happens all the time.

I suspect that some of the "cut" dungeons would have made it into Majora's Mask and Wind Waker's "cut" dungeons would have made it into Twilight Princess.

trinest

It would be cool if they included some of the old cut stuff. Would make the game much more enjoyable- expecialy for people who have played it so many times.

AniHawk

Servizio said:
I'd be surprised if the 3DS remake has any significant content added. Maybe...Some first person perspective where things are thrown at your face. That already happened when you used the bow didn't it? Man it's been awhile since I've played the ole TOoT.

If they're going so far as to redo the visuals, I think we'll see at least one new temple. They added a new dungeon to Link's Awakening when they remade it as a color game, and they've already given us extra/redone OoT stuff with Master Quest. That's not to mention the work that went into SM64 DS, thirty extra stars and 3 playable characters with their own unique play styles.

Sporty said:
Luigi playable in Mario 64 was around for awhile also.

I don't think they announced anything about OoT 3DS other then showing a video.

If it's from word of mouth it's most like BS. Even stories on gaming blogs are crap sometimes. If you can't find the info on the games developer/publisher site then it probably originated from someone ass.

Now this takes me back.

I think this rumor led to making Luigi playable in Super Mario Galaxy

Thing you have to know about Ocarina of Time - it wasn't designed to be a cartridge title. The N64 was supposed to have the 64DD disk system built-into it, and so when Ocarina was in the design stage, they designed it to take full advantage of that. The 64DD discs could be written to, so a huge part of the design was changable things, thus the everlasting footprints, chopped trees, things like that. The 64DD could also hold much larger games than the cartridges that were available by the time Zelda came out, so the original game design was much larger.

A lot of the original ideas did make it into future Zelda's, particularly Majora's Mask. In the 64DD design, travelling in time was supposed to play an even larger role, using the disk storage to save the entire state of the land, so you could travel back in time to that state, and there would be time-based puzzles where you had to figure out all the actions you had to do, so you could go back in time and do them all once perfectly.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure there was content cut from the game, but at such an early stage that it wouldnt even classify as "bonus content" to be restored.

Osuwari

InfiniteNine said:
Wasn't there a sword pedestal and Ocarina marker where Lord Jabu Jabu was as well?

that area is in the final version. it just happens to be a beta quest accesible only with Gameshark.
in the N64 days, Nintendo used to leave lots of beta stuff in their games. i guess the extra bytes didn't hurt.

also, from what turned out, it appears the Ice temple was going to be a dungeon in the place of the Water Temple. some people used a glitch called reverse bottle adventure that puts weird stuff in some slots in the equipment and one item has the text "Ice Temple" in japanese (or something like that) when you highlight it.
there's also the fact that when you start the twinrova battle, when the witches emerge, there's a fire medallion symbol in the middle of the portal for the fire one and a water medallion symbol for the ice one.

in several interviews the staff has said that they had to alter a lot of things because of system limitations. it wouldn't surprise me if some of the changes they do in the remake are how they actually intended things to be when they started development.

I just don't see how they'd add any significant content in time for launch.

They barely had anything to show now and March (the latest possible date given) is less than a year from now.

ShockingAlberto said:
I just don't see how they'd add any significant content in time for launch.

They barely had anything to show now and March (the latest possible date given) is less than a year from now.
Eh? I've never heard anything that implies Zelda is going to be a launch game...

NotWii

Banned
Aounuma said that originally you were meant to climb onto Ganon to stab him something similar to SOTC, but it was too hard to do on the N64

And it seems they changed OOT about a gazillion times before release

Neiteio

Wii said:
Aounuma said that originally you were meant to climb onto Ganon to stab him something similar to SOTC, but it was too hard to do on the N64

And it seems they changed OOT about a gazillion times before release
Ah, Ganon... I don't think it's hyperbole to say that one of the all-time greatest videogame moments is seeing Ganondorf transform. The flash of light, the hooves hitting the ground, the huge dark indistinguishable form rising into the stormy sky. And then, in huge white lettering, "GANON." He doesn't even need a subtitle.

Hopefully when they remake that scene, they keep it as DARK as the original. Few final battles have that sense of pure unmitigated blackness that Ocarina's ending had.

Unseen64.net said:
Miyamoto and his team wanted to make a world of Hyrule persistent and completely adapted to the will of the player, any change that would have affected Link to the scene, would have been saved, every tree cut, destroyed every case, the imprints of the feet on the sand, all these and many other things still would have been remembered and would have changed the game environment for the duration of our adventure.

Wow.

Top Bottom