• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE LAST AIRBENDER |OT| 'Dancebending' and M Night. 'Sham' screwing up Book 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillyFive

248229-thread_ot_1.gif

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/last_airbender/

LTTP: Avatar: The Last Airbender
| The Last Airbender Movie News Thread | 'Airbender' and 'Persia' were 'whitewashed'

Directed by M. Night Shyamalan, Music by James Newton Howard, Special Effects by Industrial Light and Magic, in 2D and 3D

but yes, I'm looking forward it. The only thing that has me worried is the dialogue. There is a reason NONE of the ads show more than one or two lines. Well, at least it will have pretty colors.

I've resigned myself to the fact that they're going to have to cut a whole season down to two hours to make this work, and you know, shamalam is directing, so I'm expecting mediocrity with some nice fight scenes.

Anything beyond that is a bonus.

mjc

Hopefully this thread doesn't get destroyed by the race arguments. That being said I'm looking forward to this movie.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I will be waiting for AirbenderGAF to render opinions before watching this. For a series so full of life to be directed by a man who has made a career out of draining the personality of his actors is worrying. As is the exploitation of Asian/Inuit culture and the lack of any of those nationalities playing prime roles. So, too, am I worried about the fact there is a rumor flying around that this is a "serious" take on The Last Airbender, which usually means stripping away the charm and lovability of the characters and world and replacing them with a lot of scowls and angry voices.

But, I haven't dismissed it outright, because the source material was so damn good. I have hope, irrational though it may be.

JdFoX187

Banned
sevenchaos said:
Believe guys. This man made Unbreakable.
I think that M. Night Shyamalan was kidnapped and a body double was put into place some time during the filming of Signs. The real Shyamalan is gone forever.

This man would be awesome as a short story writer/short film director.

"lets take a cool concept and draw it out over 2 hours so they pay off is cheapened!"

Bit-Bit

Snaku said:
I was the first to know this when I heard the names utter from Night's mouth in person.

It's still misspelled.
I just figured the OP was being witty. But yeah I remember now. You lucky bastard.

BTW, just notice the OP's banner changes. Edit. Maybe it doesn't

~Kinggi~

Banned
This movie will probably be shit. The distinct impression i got from the trailer was shitty casting and acting being covered up by crazy cool looking vfx. Art directors and tech dudes sure did their job, but im gonna guess the acting is horrible.

Poyunch

I have to say all the action seem does not seem as fluid or natural as the cartoon. That really bothers me. It gives me a cheap-quality movie vibe.

Sielys

What the fuck did they do to Appa!?
Its...horrendous. Like some sort of "where the wild things are" abomination.

Dead

well not really...yet
~Kinggi~ said:
This movie will probably be shit. The distinct impression i got from the trailer was shitty casting and acting being covered up by crazy cool looking vfx. Art directors and tech dudes sure did their job, but im gonna guess the acting is horrible.
Ill reserve judgement. Shyamalan has always had a good eye for kid actors and his flicks generally have good performances, even in the Village or Lady in the Water (never saw the Happening)

Poyunch

Dead said:
Ill reserve judgement. Shyamalan has always had a good eye for kid actors and his flicks generally have good performances, even in the ones people dont seem to like (never saw the Happening)
But this is the most important part.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Please be good, please be good.

While I'm not thrilled about the casting. I hope that everyone nails their characters accordingly, if they can do that, then I can forgive and love. But if they fuck it up, then I hope this movie bombs so fucking hard that M. Night will never question keeping or removing winged lemur's in his movies ever again!

C4Lukins

Sielys said:
What the fuck did they do to Appa!?
Its...horrendous. Like some sort of "where the wild things are" abomination.

I think it looks perfect. It needs to look like a real thing, not a cartoon character flying through a realistic world. They really nailed it IMO.

harSon

Banned
Awesome recreation of the Air Temple, unfortunately the actors are going to look absolutely ridiculous in the setting.

Lebron

Plywood said:
I hope that everyone nails their characters accordingly, if they can do that, then I can forgive and love.
Shouldn't be hard, not like they were complicated characters to begin with. From what I've seen from Katara she throws out the "eye roll" lines just like the cartoon version did, so they got that down. Zuko and Iroh are covered due to Patel and Toub being awesome. The only ones that will probably take a hit due to the seriousness is Aang and Sakka(though he did say "woohoo" in a clip :p). Oh well, it is what it is.

Whatever, it looks entertaining. My cousins can't wait to see this. I let them watch the entire series on Netflix Instant over the weekend in prep.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Lebron said:
Shouldn't be hard, not like they were complicated characters to begin with. From what I've seen from Katara she throws out the "eye roll" lines just like the cartoon version did, so they got that down. Zuko and Iroh are covered due to Patel and Toub being awesome. The only ones that will probably take a hit due to the seriousness is Aang and Sakka(though he did say "woohoo" in a clip :p). Oh well, it is what it is.
Well the main issue is that I'm in fear of the movie being good because of M Night Shamwow.

Dead

well not really...yet
crazy monkey said:
I like shyamaln and most of his movies. I enjoy happening too Kind of B movie way. Looking forward to this more than avatar.
I don't think Ill ever see the Happening, but I love the Village (affecting love story, great performance by Dallas Howard, beautiful looking movie and one of the greatest scores of all time) and although its pretty understandable why one would hate Lady in the Water, I think it has a lot of charm, and Shyamalan either had balls of steel or is quite frankly insane for casting himself in the role that he did.

I don't have much hate for Shamylamilam, but I'm not really an avid moviegoer. I'd like to see it do well, but if it doesn't then it's on him.

I'm not as excited about the movie as I could be unfortunately and it's a shame because the TV series is probably one of the greatest shows I've seen in a while.

Acid08

Banned
I've been watching the show for the first time on Netflix and goddamn it's incredible, I'm about halfway through the 3rd book now. After seeing the trailer and what looks to be te super serious tone of the movie, I don't have high hopes. I do think the fighting and bending scenes will be incredible though.

Lebron

Plywood said:
Well the main issue is that I'm in fear of the movie being good because of M Night Shamwow.
Well yeah, I'm not a big fan of him myself either. Though, outside of initial casting choices and adding a more serious tone, he's stayed pretty true to the series. It looks like Avatar, so I'm optimistic. However, I am expecting an Iroh, "Zuko I am your real father" twist.

Snaku

Banned
Dead said:
Shyamawow

Plywood said:

SolarPowered said:
Shamylamilam

And this is why Aang and Sokka are pronounced the "proper" way in this film. I picked up a deep seeded resentment from Night when he talked about people not being able to pronounce his name properly growing up. People just make up their own ways of saying his name, like the popular Shyamalamadingdong, and I think he's always been upset about that. All of his handlers referred to him simply as Night, probably to avoid mistakes.

Dead

well not really...yet
Snaku said:
And this is why Aang and Sokka are pronounced the "proper" way in this film. I picked up a deep seeded resentment from Night when he talked about people not being able to pronounce his name properly growing up. People just make up their own ways of saying his name, like the popular Shyamalamadingdong, and I think he's always been upset about that. All of his handlers referred to him simply as Night, probably to avoid mistakes.
For what its worth, the movie pronunciations were always what I assumed the show ones were as well before I watched it.

I was kinda surprised to hear how they pronounced Iroh and Sokka in the show. It sounded like the typical american accent fumbling of a foreign name, even if those are what the names are supposed to be.

Rorschach

Any of the trailers have Aang jumping around? He fights very... grounded in the trailers I saw. Most if his fights involved him jumping around and dodging in the cartoon.

Dead

well not really...yet
Rorschach said:
Any of the trailers have Aang jumping around? He fights very... grounded in the trailers I saw. Most if his fights involved him jumping around and dodging in the cartoon.
he backflips in the air, runs on the wall, etc in several of the TV spots

BorkBork said:
This is true. James Newton Howard hit it out of the park.
The Newton Howard - Shyamalan collaboration is pretty much the best since Spielberg - Williams imo. Unbreakable, Signs, Lady in the Water, the Village, all of them are absolutely incredible. JNH always does his best work with M Night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom