• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analyst: Used Game Market 'Significant' Drain On Software Sales

FrankT

Although it's hard to pin down exactly to what extent used game sales cannibalize sales of new software, a significant share of the blame for weak sales this cycle can be pegged on the second-hand market, says one analyst.

"In our view, GameStop has exploited the negligible difference between the value propositions of new and used games to capture a significant portion of the video game value chain," says Cowen Group analyst Doug Creutz.

The biggest drain on industry revenues this cycle has been a decline in sales of PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 software, says Creutz. Recent years' high console price points take part of the blame, but the "dramatic" growth of used games sales is a "significant" factor, he adds.

But numerous publishers are exploring value-add "$10 wall" tactic -- Electronic Arts with its "Online Pass," and THQ by charging to play UFC online, for example. These initiatives offer key features only with new copies of a game, and require used players to pay additional money to unlock them.

Such approaches are a "critical step in allowing publishers to re-capture value from the used market," says the analyst, who says that fully leveraging these initiatives could drive industry software margins higher in the next 18-24 months.

In fact, there's room for publishers to be more aggressive, he suggests, in "cordoning off" more game experiences from used players. And there's little GameStop can do to prevent it, he adds.

However, GameStop has publicly embraced initiatives like EA's, praising opportunities for its retail stores to be included in the sale of digital content. The company has said it sees little impact on its business from the shift, and in fact it expects to benefit positively from these moves toward "extending the life of titles and broadening the base of players."

And the alternative, a "more aggressive" shift to digital distribution, would be even worse for the retailer, says Creutz.

How will gamers respond? "We believe that consumers are likely to grudgingly accept a revised and evolving pricing strategy that reflects the value they receive outside of and in addition to the traditional single-player offline experience," predicts Creutz.

"Against a backdrop of our expectation for improving growth in videogame software sales through the remainder of 2010, we believe that the evolution of these new pricing strategies give investors additional reason to become more constructive on the third party video game publishers," he concludes.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...arket_Significant_Drain_On_Software_Sales.php

Also I see this from the headline story on Gamesindustrybiz talking about the same report;

Second month sales for new games down by over 60 percent since 2001

The report specifically blames second-hands sales for a 20 per cent drop in Xbox 360/PlayStation 3 sales in 2009, compared to PlayStation 2/Xbox sales in .

If that is true that is huge. If anyone has a link to said report with all the numbers I would love to see it.

Gravijah

Of course, the industry sees "re-capturing" value as making the consumer pay for things they didn't have to pay for in years past instead of you know... Lowering prices faster across the board, giving actual reason to buy new, etc.

FrankT

Gravijah said:
Of course, the industry sees "re-capturing" value as making the consumer pay for things they didn't have to pay for in years past instead of you know... Lowering prices faster across the board, giving actual reason to buy new, etc.

Well and I believe these recent efforts are just a scratch at the surface.

Gravijah

blame space said:
i went outside earlier and the sky was blue

now i'm gonna go buy a used game. what's good on Xbox 360 <$20?

A lot of good shit. Do you know what I feel like when I walk into GameStop and check out the used section for the 360? A kid in a candy store.

Hell, if I had a reliable store to just walk in and buy cheap stuff new, I would, as I tend to buy new if the new version is only 5 bucks more.

Chrange

Banned
Gravijah said:
You don't have to pay for anything you had to pay for in the past...if you buy new. Isn't that 'actual reason to buy new' enough for you?

Vandiger

I'll continue to buy used, bargain bin, etc. I don't care for shelling out $50 then more $$ for DLC. As far as an online usage charge well, fuck that too.

Gravijah

Chrange said:
You don't have to pay for anything you had to pay for in the past...if you buy new. Isn't that 'actual reason to buy new' enough for you?

If I'm not actually getting anything I wouldn't have gotten in the past, how are they increasing the value of "buying new" then?

Threi said:
can't say i have much sympathy.

This shit. $60 for a videogame is a joke. Not to mention most games only last like what 6 hours, 10 tops, and your done? With little to no reply value what-so-ever?

Iwata is right, publishers should focus on creating games that people want to keep and not trade in and that make people feel better about buying full price. I know that when I buy a game like Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Monster Hunter 3, the disc will be spinning for months. Can't say the same for generic shooter #3457.

Waits for the inevitable, "But games use to be $70 back in the 16-bit era!" reply.

Chrange

Banned
Gravijah said:
If I'm not actually getting anything I wouldn't have gotten in the past, how are they increasing the value of "buying new" then?
They didn't in those cases, they decreased the value of buying used. Again though - if you buy new, it doesn't affect you at all.

Some games have increased the value - Mass Effect 2 with the VIP stuff, Bad Company 2, etc...

Gravijah

Scalemail Ted said:
hmmm... You can't buy used tickets to go to the theater after only 4 weeks can you?

You can't actually go to the theater to see a movie after a few months. Maybe the video game industry should make their stuff limited!

Chrange said:
They didn't in those cases, they decreased the value of buying used. Again though - if you buy new, it doesn't affect you at all.

Some games have increased the value - Mass Effect 2 with the VIP stuff, Bad Company 2, etc...

I like stuff like ME2, etc that are rewarding you for buying new instead of gutting the used version. I'm fine with stuff like that. I like the idea of actually increasing the value of new, instead of decreasing the value of used.

Used games tend to be $5 cheaper for any games released in the past few months when I look around in EB.

I almost never buy used, a few dollars is a small price to pay for a sealed copy.

I'd say game rentals are a bigger impact, most games can be easily beaten in a rental period, especially if you're not into MP.

LQX

Big publishers should just try to put moratorium on used game sales. Throw some weight around and ask retailers in the used sales business not to sell used copies of new games until a month or two later. That could potentially please everyone.

gerg

Gravijah said:

By decreasing the value proposition of buying used. If every time you buy a used game you have to shell out some amount of money that means that you end up spending as much as you would have done on a new game, then what's the point?

Edit: beaten.

1-D_FTW

Brilliant article. Although I would point out game prices have gone up since 2001. Coincidence? Games retailed for 49.99. A lot of Sony first-party titles retailed for 39.99. Shocker. Analysis: People either pay the ransom at launch or wait for the clearance bin in 3 months.

lol, Well Amazon's deal of the day and other retailers such things, always prevent me from buying used games from the gamestop, lol.

Maybe thats the solution, lol more deals on newish games, lol.

They should have online codes for the multiplayer aspect of the game. And fees for playing online if u don't have the code. . . amirite.

ymmv

Banned
B-Dex said:
So used DVD/Blu-Ray sales are killing the movie industry as well?

The problem isn't used sales per se. The problem isn't gamers selling used copies on Ebay, the problem is Gamestop's lucrative business model that puts a far greater emphasis on selling used games in their shops than selling new games to customers. Gamestop is a parasite that's sucking blood from the hand that feeds it. Publishers suffer because Gamestop stops selling new games after the first week because they'd rather sell used copies of the hottest titles to customers, so they never back order anything. That's the biggest reason game sales are so front loaded.

If it weren't for Gamestop, we wouldn't have seen publishers fighting the selling of used games.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
report said:
Second month sales for new games down by over 60 percent since 2001
This is almost entirely due to how games are increasingly marketed as movie like experiences which can be 100 percent-ed and then forgotten about, which are driven by increasingly sophisticated marketing teams and if the game isn't popular at launch it is shunned even if critically acclaimed. I bet first week sales have gone through the roof in the same period of time.

Gravijah

ymmv said:
If it weren't for Gamestop, we wouldn't have seen publishers fighting the selling of used games.

Probably wouldn't have had the huge industry growth throughout the 00s either.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
LQX said:
Big publishers should just try to put moratorium on used game sales. Throw some weight around and ask retailers in the used sales business not to sell used copies of new games until a month or two later. That could potentially please everyone.

1.) It certainly wouldn't please the retailers.
2.) Publishers have no leverage to negotiate here.

Gravijah said:
Probably wouldn't have had the huge industry growth throughout the 00s either.

You have to remember that the GameStop model is just as focused on pre-orders as it is on used sales. Used sales aren't the only reason that sales are extremely front-loaded nowadays. The number of "first-day" sales has also gone up dramatically.

Just lower the MSRP on your games so that you can sell to more potential buyers.

I can't wait until publishers start equating used game consumers to pirates...

Gravijah said:
You can't actually go to the theater to see a movie after a few months. Maybe the video game industry should make their stuff limited!

So what you are saying is that there is no direct correspondence between used movies and used games sine they obviously have different revenue models?

gerg

ymmv said:

Publishers and console manufacturers don't help the problem by raising the price of games universally each generation. Price stratification is the way to go.

NEOPARADIGM said:

One begets the other, so...

McHuj

I don't buy new releases because I can't really afford them anymore.

I buy everything on Steam now as well. I bought Bioshock 2 for 14.99 yesterday. Should 2K count that as a loss of $15 since I didn't pay the full retail price thanks to the sale? I bet some analysts would see it that way.

Guess what, I'm not going to be buying any new games until they're on sale on steam (Star Craft 2 the exception) because they're too damn expensive.

There could be other explanations for a drop in new game sales since 2000. There are more games for one so more, games will get lost in the shuffle.

Realistically, last gen only the ps2 was a viable console gaming platform. Now there are 3 with decent market share. They all have other ways for you to spend money on them: movies, music, psn/wiiware/live, stupid avatar clothing, etc other than retail games.

People probably spend as much on gaming if not more year over year, it's just probably spread out among more services/devices than before.

Killing the second-hand market: Cuz it worked so fucking well for PC software sales.

Also, why are they comparing PS3/360 to PS2/XBX? Yeah, no shit software sales look lower if you compare one generation's distant 2nd/3rd place consoles to another generation's overwhelming 1st/ distant 2nd place consoles. There's a pretty fucking big elephant in the corner they're doing their best to ignore.

In other news, used car business deemed significant drain on new car new car sales. Film at 11.

EDIT: Breaking news! Used home sales "significant drain" on new home sales!

Gravijah

Scalemail Ted said:
So what you are saying is that there is no direct correspondence between used movies and used games sine they obviously have different revenue models?

I prefer to compare the video game industry and cars, myself.

Vinci

Danish
Segata Sanshiro said:
Also, why are they comparing PS3/360 to PS2/XBX? Yeah, no shit software sales look lower if you compare one generation's distant 2nd/3rd place consoles to another generation's overwhelming 1st/ distant 2nd place consoles. There's a pretty fucking big elephant in the corner they're doing their best to ignore.

Why break when you have momentum? People have been trying to ignore it since its release.

gerg

BigNastyCurve said:
In other news, used car business deemed significant drain on new car new car sales. Film at 11.

The analogy doesn't entirely work because video games don't degrade with use in the same way that cars do.

Yeef

vocab said:
Steam sales just show you that $60 games are a joke. I can get like 10 games for less than $20.
I'm sure most, if not all of those games have long since covered their costs. It's not as though they could have afforded to launch at those prices.

People complaining about game prices baffle me. This generation, more than any other, games have been dropping prices/going on sale closer and closer to launch. If you want a game enough to pay full price pick it up day one, otherwise wait a week to a month and it'll be significantly discounted at some point within that timeframe.

Also, if you're going to buy used go to Blockbuster. Their used stuff is much cheaper than Gamestop's $5 off the new price.

CadetMahoney said:
They should have online codes for the multiplayer aspect of the game. And fees for playing online if u don't have the code. . . amirite.

Sure thing, sell me single player game for 40$ with optional multiplayer for 20$. Oh wait, I cannot have my games cheaper, probably because multiplayer "is essential to the experience"....:lol

Although it's hard to pin down exactly to what extent used game sales cannibalize sales of new software, a significant share of the blame for weak sales this cycle can be pegged on the second-hand market, says one analyst.

The above sentence is wrong.

sflufan

Banned
LQX said:

What POSSIBLE leverage could "big publishers" have to even contemplate such a mandate? You don't seriously believe that they'd actually threaten to cut off one of their retail distribution channels (ie, GS/EB), do you? Because that's really the ONLY option they have!

LQX said:

AHAHAH. Yes, I'd love to eavesdrop on that conversation with Gamestop. I'd pay movie ticket money to witness it.

Top Bottom