• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ancient Trader, Xbox Live Indie Game

So I read about this turn based strategy game over on Tom Chick's site (his write up is right here and he can explain it much better than I can) so I picked it up and I have to say, it's kind of awesome. Oh yeah- and it's only $3 (it's $10 on the PC).

Basically the default goal in the main game (you can change the win conditions though) is to find three artifacts (which are sold in certain ports) and defeat this big guardian monster. Along the way you upgrade your ship, trade cargo between ports, fight the other players (up to 4 AI bots or people over Xbox Live, system link or local) and sea monsters. It plays kind of like a board game, but it's completely original.

The battle system is a little confusing at first, basically you get these colored cards with point values (which are determined by your ship upgrades). Certain colors have an advantage over other colors, which adds +2... Anyway it's hard to explain but once you do a few battles you'll get the hang of it.

Finally and most importantly (as you can probably already see from the screenshots), the art style is really cool. The game board is basically like an animated map of the world circa the age of exploration, and the music is good too.

One con I've found, is you can't really set up a private game per se. At least I couldn't figure out how to. So you have to create an open game, go to the character select screen, then tell your buddies to look for a game and hope they get in. I guess for an indie game that kind of rough edge isn't too surprising.

All in all, for $3 (its $10 on the PC), I would highly recommend this game to all strategy gamers here.

Buy on Xbox Live Marketplace (Xbox 360)

Buy on Gamersgate (PC)

TN_Ancient_Trader_Screenshot_01.jpg

TN_Ancient_Trader_Screenshot_04.jpg

TN_Ancient_Trader_Screenshot_07.jpg

ancienttraders_wallpaper.jpg

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I'm interested in this, but I'll probably play it almost exclusively in single-player mode. How's the AI?

Chairman Yang said:
I'm interested in this, but I'll probably play it almost exclusively in single-player mode. How's the AI?
The AI is very good. You'd be up against three, although you may be able to do less than that, I haven't tried. You can change the difficulty on them though. My first game, the AI beat me even on easy (but part of that was I was just learning how to play).

PopcornMegaphone said:
the indie section of live is really starting to pop.
Yeah... As far as production value goes, this is hands down one of the best I've seen so far.

GhaleonEB

PopcornMegaphone said:
Yup. I've spent more time there - than on XBLA games lately. I'll check this game out tonight; last week was dominated by Zombie Estate.

jagowar

Neuromancer said:
Yeah... As far as production value goes, this is hands down one of the best I've seen so far.

Ive never been into the turn by turn stuff but the production values in this game are pretty crazy..... hope we see more great looking games from the indie section. Ill get the trial and spend some time with it.

Confidence Man said:
Why the price discrepancy between versions?
My guess is since the Xbox Indie channel is like the iPhone store, flooded with crap for $1, they figured they had to compete by lowering their price as much as possible.

Popeck

PopcornMegaphone said:

I wish they just would bring the service to Finland (and many other countries). It's a shame for the players and for the makers. These games don't sell exceptionally well, so it wouldn't hurt to have a little bit larger audience.

Liberty4all

Banned
Love board type games. Nice to see the indie community picking up where regular XBLA has failed (with notable exceptions like Catan, Risk and Carcasonne)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Bamelin said:
Love board type games. Nice to see the indie community picking up where regular XBLA has failed (with notable exceptions like Catan, Risk and Carcasonne)
MS should just go ahead and port XBLA to a tablet. Greed Corp and Ticket to Ride are also great board type games.

Liberty4all

Banned
Greed Corp multiplayer is fantastic. It's a damn shame online is dead.

Is anyone playing this Ancient Traders game online?

Bamelin said:
Greed Corp multiplayer is fantastic. It's a damn shame online is dead.

Is anyone playing this Ancient Traders game online?
Too soon to say, probably. Your best bet is probably setting up games with friends.

nli10

Never heard of this until just. Sold!

If Indipendant Charles doesn't do a massive feature on this I'd be astounded.

Looks perfectly up my street. Will probably play more Risk atm. though.

Looks awesome, cheaty as fuck?

Someone explain combat to me, please. I play a blue card with a 1, opponent plays a blue card with a 1, opponent wins and I lose my blue card. What? In what possible way did I lose?

I want to like this, because it looks awesome, but the combat doesn't make any sense and even when it does make sense, the AI is deliberately choosing cards that can beat mine, because it did, 98% of the time. Cheaty as fuck.

nli10

toythatkills said:

Someone explain combat to me, please. I play a blue card with a 1, opponent plays a blue card with a 1, opponent wins and I lose my blue card. What? In what possible way did I lose?

I want to like this, because it looks awesome, but the combat doesn't make any sense and even when it does make sense, the AI is deliberately choosing cards that can beat mine, because it did, 98% of the time. Cheaty as fuck.

Seemed to me that attacker wins in draws - so if you attack on the first move and both have the 1,1,1 set up then you have a 2/3 chance of winning that round. Then if you pick the colour that they can only draw at best you have a 100% chance of winning next round. Then you pick the colour that beats their final card and you win.

Once upgrades come into play this all changes.

I played one game and knew it was worth the 240 but Puzzle Quest 2 is out in hours so maybe it can wait. Would rather have this on DSi but XBLi is better than nothing.

toythatkills said:

It's tricky but I think nli10 has the right idea here.

Top Bottom