• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If I'm sick of the state of the gaming industry, what are some genuinely good indie games to check out?

Hi gaf, with all the constant bullfuckery in the industry right now, I'm looking to support some games made by people who actually give a fuck and have a passion for what they create.

I've never really bothered with indie games but am, finding myself being drawn ever closer to them.

Can anyone recommend some good indie games, I don't even really care what genre, as long as it's fun. PC or PS5. Thanks.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Completely not what you were asking, but if you wanted more of a "full-bodied" experience from "people who actually give a fuck and have a passion for what they create" look no further than Baldur's Gate 3. It's the best game of the last two decades.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Well worth the $20 CDN I spent.

But that assumes a gamer likes a combo of poker, deck building and a rogue progression system. It's SP and has no mtx too.

It's on consoles too. But it's a game that will definitely play better on PC due to the point and clicking of cards as opposed to using a gamepad.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
As I'm just playing... Elden Ring.

Jokes aside... Dunno how much Indi devs care about the industry but in general those games are way to depressing for me.

Last edited:
It's a pretty massive question without knowing what you are or aren't into. A good starting place could be Hades as it's one of the most revered indie titles ever.
I get it. I wanted to avoid being too specific and just see people's suggestions, whatever the genre. I like hack n slash shit, fantasy shit, RPGs etc, Resident Evil and doom games, some MMOs etc. In the last few years I've really enjoyed baldurs gate 3, Doom 2016 and Eternal, ff7 remake, Skyrim, Borderlands 2, Grim Dawn, Resident Evil 2 and 4 remakes, Nier Automata. Hope this helps. I'm open to any suggestions though.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Lies of P is a fantastic out of nowhere developer title from last year. One of the best souls like games. Not indie but it is a AA that felt like what a AAA should be.

Inscryption. I can’t say much without spoiling it. It isn’t just a card game… keep going and be amazed.

Loop Hero. Best soundtrack since Hotline Miami games in an indie title.

Sea of Stars. Modern day Chrono trigger like.

Celeste. Top shelf platformer.

Disco Elysium. Simply nothing like it. Love every stitch of this game.

Baldurs Gate 3. Self explanatory.

Diablo 2 Resurrected. The only thing Blizzard has done perfectly in like 15 years? My most played game period.

Armored Core 6. GOTY 2023. Time to fly 621.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I get it. I wanted to avoid being too specific and just see people's suggestions, whatever the genre. I like hack n slash shit, fantasy shit, RPGs etc, Resident Evil and doom games, some MMOs etc. In the last few years I've really enjoyed baldurs gate 3, Doom 2016 and Eternal, ff7 remake, Skyrim, Borderlands 2, Grim Dawn, Resident Evil 2 and 4 remakes, Nier Automata. Hope this helps. I'm open to any suggestions though.

It mostly just sounds like you enjoy good games, so you'll get a lot of good recommendations in this thread. Hades will be the #1 recommendation but +1 on the Hollow Knight recommendations, doesn't get much better. Arsic just posted some bangers namely Inscryption (GOTY 2021) and Celeste (probably the best 2D platformer since the 90s).

Into The Breach would be next on my list after all that, masterpiece.

e0n

Personally, all of these are worth looking into if you like indie games with good music/atmosphere and critical acclaim:
Disco Elysium
Rimworld
Hotline Miami
Hyper Light Drifter

cormack12

Gold Member
Started this ages ago, you might fine something in there from various contributors

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If any gamers like super casual dice and card games, here's some more that are good. Not the type of games that you'll play forever. But if you like these, you'll get your fill out of them for $5 or $10 on deal. I think I bought Talisman Origins on deal for like $2 or $3 CDN.

Talisman Origins is the single player adventure variant. I didnt bother with the standard game with MP. Going by Steam charts, it gets about 300 CCU at any given time, so up to you if you want play against players in a small online community.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Hi gaf, with all the constant bullfuckery in the industry right now, I'm looking to support some games made by people who actually give a fuck and have a passion for what they create.

I've never really bothered with indie games but am, finding myself being drawn ever closer to them.

Can anyone recommend some good indie games, I don't even really care what genre, as long as it's fun. PC or PS5. Thanks.

Katana zero
Ruiner
Blasphemous 1 and 2

Holammer

Stardew valley, Crosscode, Terraria, Hades.

For a surprise recommendation... Greak: Memories of Azur.
A semi-unknown metroidvania with Lost Vikings elements and fine graphics. But the drama and storytelling sold it to me.

Guilty_AI

Since you like RPGs, here's some things to check out:
(
☝️
Same devs behind Baldurs Gate 3)

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Darkest Dungeon- turn based party survival?
Vampire Survivors- best garlic simulator
Into The Breach- strategy roguelike
The Case of Golden Idol- Point and Click(sort of), murder mystery

T-0800

I know it isn't an indie game but I've been loving the Contra demo. Feels good to play a game that is just a game. It isn't trying to be anything but what it is.

Ron Mexico

But that assumes a gamer likes a combo of poker, deck building and a rogue progression system. It's SP and has no mtx too.

It's on consoles too. But it's a game that will definitely play better on PC due to the point and clicking of cards as opposed to using a gamepad.

Seconding this. It's of course a very different game from something like, say, Vampire Survivors and neither one are anywhere near the only roguelike/lites out there. That said, the pacing or progression and unlocks feels as good as it did in VS

Kuranghi

Mentioned already but +1 for Yoku's Island Express, Brigador and Overload.

Brigador probably most appealing to you based on what you wrote you liked.

GametimeUK

Honestly just searching Steam Indie games and sorting them in order of review score does wonders for me. I try a lot of the stiff I like the look of that's labelled "overwhelmingly positive" and I'm rarely let down.

But yeah I recommend Bastion. There's one for ya.

RAIDEN1

Completely not what you were asking, but if you wanted more of a "full-bodied" experience from "people who actually give a fuck and have a passion for what they create" look no further than Baldur's Gate 3. It's the best game of the last two decades.
Best game of the last two decades??? It maybe good but it is no Mass Effect trilogy..

Deerock71

I bought this on the Switch. I'm going to stick with it...but the text just looks awful on the OLED. I hope they patch it to make it look better. The font just sucks.

StueyDuck

The talos principle 2... not really "indie" but it's the best game that came out in the snoozefest that was 2023

It depends how far back you've missed out on indies.

Outerwilds is genuinely one of the best games to have released in the last 10 years at the very least.

Last edited:

Fredrik

look no further than Baldur's Gate 3. It's the best game of the last two decades.
If you like slow games. It wasn’t for me. Today I’m more interested in No Rest for the Wicked and FF16, PC versions.

Top Bottom