• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mental health is a problem in the games industry

SHA

Welp

That explains why games are so shit these days in a nutshell.

Remember when developers focused on making great games and these conferences were about sharing game making ideas instead of political bullshit virtue signaling?

Ah those were the golden days of gaming when you didn’t have to wade through a sea of shit games to find one gem
I still believe some in the higher-ups and middlemen who are responsible for this to happen, they prefer that to happen when the requirements for high quality standards of games development haven't met, these are the same people who know what it takes to build great games.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What happened lately is that games have been buggy, overbudget, and layoffs. Add it up and bosses are putting the heat down. So they are getting all stressed out. Heck, Activision or Bungie (I forget who it was lately) gassed intercompany cooking lessons and knitting classes. So I'm sure the floor is all depressed as easy freebies and unlimited budgets to hire people came to a stop.

Most other industries were pretty status quo with the key difference being if the business was one that got heavily affect or not due to people covid hoarding, no doubt the supply chain and warehouse crews were working OT trying to fill orders probably got affected the most. But from what I experienced and heard from other peers, office work was kind of the same shit. The biggest difference being everyone working from home for 2 years straight so you had to get used to tons of MS Teams conference calls and adjusting to everyone's schedules where some people work normal hours and some do their own thing working whenever they feel like it. But as a whole, most people worked normal hours and with people called back to the office 2-3 times per week, everyone is back to the usual daily grind like pre-covid.

If you don't like working at some place, quit the job. Don't whine about it, makes you look dumb.

Thank god manosphere incels haven't started doing these types of scream exhibitions, yet (although it would be funny seeing these two idiot groups screaming at each other. Like once). I swear people in the west are becoming dumber and dumber by the day. Makes you wonder what the reasons are. I feel like media in general plays a huge part in it.

Basically, the orwellian Two Minutes Hate.

"The horrible thing about the Two Minutes Hate was not that one was obliged to act a part, but, on the contrary, that it was impossible to avoid joining in. Within thirty seconds any pretence was always unnecessary. A hideous ecstasy of fear and vindictiveness, a desire to kill, to torture, to smash faces in with a sledge-hammer, seemed to flow through the whole group of people like an electric current, turning one even against one's will into a grimacing, screaming lunatic. And yet the rage that one felt was an abstract, undirected emotion which could be switched from one object to another like the flame of a blowlamp."
- Nineteen Eighty-Four, George Orwell​

If you don't like working at some place, quit the job. Don't whine about it, makes you look dumb.

Thank god manosphere incels haven't started doing these types of scream exhibitions, yet (although it would be funny seeing these two idiot groups screaming at each other. Like once). I swear people in the west are becoming dumber and dumber by the day. Makes you wonder what the reasons are. I feel like media in general plays a huge part in it.
They always existed. The media is now a podium for them to get the attention they sickeningly chase.

The reasons are pretty clear. Mindless cattle are easier to rule than critical thinkers. For the enemies of Western societies, it's a win-win situation where they introduce zombifiers like TikTok to ensure the next generations are even more stupid.

They have taken the Orwellian dystopian textbook by the word. We have everything from it: double-thinking, history rewriting, minutes of hate, neo-language...

Meanwhile, people clapping at 7 PM in their homes because the TV says so.

100% social media's fault. These lunatics suddenly have the power to reach millions with one click. Before social media everyone would just laught at them.

Drew1440

I'm guessing this happened in San Francisco, just like the Netflix protest.

They remind me of Sims 4 character when you turn off free will and let their needs plummet, they just stand around screaming.

Let's see. They work in an industry where - over the last few years - an unprecedented number of studios have been shut down, entire teams laid off, thousands of developers laid off, incredible uncertainty. Everyone's one poorly reviewed game away from trying to find a job in an industry that is in the process of cutting jobs. Yeah, people are upset and want to protest.

That's not a sign of mental health. Their method may be weird, and uncomfortable to watch. But they have every right to protest, no matter how ineffective it may appear to be.

Let these people live their lives.
They can leave and work somewhere else. Creative fields have always demanded people live on the edge.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Why don’t these folks start their own gaming studio and then make whatever game they want?

Sometimes they do, and surpsingly I'm actually looking forward to one.

However just like anywhere, there are those that have talent and those that are hangers on, the grifters. And there everywhere they don't even have to be left leaning, there's a guy I knew who was an extreme jew hating piece of shit, who did fuck all and couldn't be fired for some reason. Complete flat earther, moon landing was fake, government puts chemicals in the water type of guy. Drove me nuts.

Ended up putting a complaint in and transferring commands in the end, heard he retired soon after.

But the point I'm making is these are just grifters rather than actual devs. People with talent tend to not be laid off, Sucks to be them.

Last edited:

Podge

Neo Member
These people will make a good distraction/fodder on the front lines of WW3.
As a veteran myself, I can't even imagine having to serve alongside these headcases.

I shudder to imagine that this is what one's mental health waiver alone would look like:

uAlaXDk.jpg

Also, I would love to imagine one of these folx trying to play this card at the recruiting station during in-processing (other Vets will remember MEPS):

mCYYMIx.jpg

poodaddy

Let's see. They work in an industry where - over the last few years - an unprecedented number of studios have been shut down, entire teams laid off, thousands of developers laid off, incredible uncertainty. Everyone's one poorly reviewed game away from trying to find a job in an industry that is in the process of cutting jobs. Yeah, people are upset and want to protest.

That's not a sign of mental health. Their method may be weird, and uncomfortable to watch. But they have every right to protest, no matter how ineffective it may appear to be.

page remains GIF

Phase

I'm a big advocate for mental health support we all go through it in some way in our lives. Unfortunately there is a large population who remain undiagnosed.
Unfortunately propaganda works well, especially when people take it to heart and consider it part of their identity as a person. A shift in society needs to happen for these people to stop being so self-righteous.

StueyDuck

I'm a big advocate for mental health support we all go through it in some way in our lives. Unfortunately there is a large population who remain undiagnosed.
I agree that mental health is important...

But there's definitely a difference between I'm hearing voices in my head and grrr my boss wants me to work more than 2 hours today that evil white cis male.

What your seeing above is the latter so I have literally no empathy for them

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
1. Gaming employee leaks private company memos or alpha pics online to boost ego and get Reddit followers

2. Management calls a company wide meeting saying dont do this shit. It is confidential information

3. Gaming employee whines management is acting like oppressive warlords

Last edited:

Boneless

In response to growing discontent among game developers in the face of ongoing industry mass layoffs, as well as coordinated harassment campaigns against marginalized individuals and overall fears of worsening industry conditions..
A lot of points here that have nothing to do with each other and are meaningless without context.

But hey, a bit of screaming never hurts.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Stop buying games from studios that enable this nonsense.

People get so butthurt over people preordering random games but then then don't bat an eye at consuming games from studios who enable this crap. "There's nothing to play 😭" Spare me. Stop poisoning the well on AA games that don't force an agenda. People want to vote with their wallet until pretty graphics get involved, pathetic.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Our society encourages the mentally ill to become more mentally ill.

The sad thing is that people who seek help and go into therapy are often worse off in the end. Instead of finding strength in themselves they become ever more insecure. I wonder how many of these "screamers" had too much counseling and are now unable to face the challenges of life.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
That explains why games are so shit these days in a nutshell.
200w.gif

This year alone we got SO MANY quality games back to back, how can anyone says game are "shit" is beyond me....

Unless we are only talking about western games.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Funny though...

A great deal of people, in a great many industries, have been laid off due to the effects of the pandemic, war, and the cost of living crisis.

Don't see them screaming like fucking children.

No. They tend to be busy trying to find other jobs, or doing something actually constructive with their time.

You're defending a culture of empty, pointless virtue signalling, employed by people with the backbone and self respect of a blob fish. And the fact the games industry is so full of them at all levels might go some way to explaining why western gaming is in the trouble you so rightly point out it is in.

They're not mentally ill.

They're entitled and immature.

Last edited:

jonnyp

No wonder games are boring shit these days. Fire all of them and the quality will go up, cost less to make and less delayed.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Devs across the rest of the world, especially in Asia must be laughing so hard at this!

Its absolutely, unequivocally, demented to think that this sort of protest is going to get them anywhere!

Top Bottom