• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trine: free additional level from PC now available on PS3, costs €1

Goldrusher

You see, May 6 there was an update / patch for the PC version of the game. The patch note included the following:
FREE DLC level - "Path to New Dawn" (available upon completion of the game)

Thanks for playing Trine and supporting Frozenbyte!
"We are extremely happy to release this free level. It is our way of saying thanks to our fans and giving back to everyone who has bought Trine," says Lauri Hyvärinen, Frozenbyte CEO, and continues: "As a company, we've had an interesting journey getting this far. I'm sure the path ahead is also full of dangers and traps but we'll do our best to avoid them and continue to bring great experiences to gamers. We've been delighted that so many players have enjoyed Trine so far, and I hope this free level adds a little bit to that enjoyment!"

A similar patch is now available for the (EU) PS3 version, but unlike PC gamers, you also have to pay €0.99 to unlock the new level.

Lovely.

So much for that "thank you".

And so much for getting the console crowd hyped for Trine 2 with the little teaser at the end of that new level.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Price isn't that bad though, unlike the free on PC Left 4 Dead 2 content that cost quite a bit more on 360.

I had no hope we'd even get this level for the PS3.

Angst

I for one will happily give Frozenbyte a euro for their awesome work.

Thank you Frozenbyte for your wonderful game.

Goldrusher

smh

That level was announced as a thank you and a little teaser for the sequel. Now they're charging money for it, how little it may be, and you guys all happily bend over ?

soldat7

Goldrusher said:
smh

That level was announced as a thank you and a little teaser for the sequel. Now they're charging money for it, how little it may be, and you guys all happily bend over ?

Maybe Sony wouldn't let them release it for free? Or is that only a Microsoft thing?

Goldrusher said:
smh

smh... People only buy it if they want it. If they want it they're not bending over.

soldat7 said:
Maybe Sony wouldn't let them release it for free? Or is that only a Microsoft thing?
Tons of free stuff on PSN.

krioto

Well it's £0.79 for me, so I'll definitely be getting it, considering I got the game on sale for £7.99. This game is great, if you don't already have it, grab it.

and no, I don't work for frozenbyte!

edit - so I guess I'm bent over....

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
That's not enough money to even buy a pack of gum, so its hard to complain. It does seem a little bullshit though. My complaints would be more about having to go through all the effort instead of just downloading some patch that adds it. Who wants to go through all those steps to buy something?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Metalmurphy said:
Tons of free addons on PSN. Is that better?

There are tons of free addons on XBL (to respond to your edit: from first and third parties).

What he's referring to is the fact that Microsoft has historically exerted pressure on some games to monetize DLC. This is not a rule; there are tons of all categories of free content on XBL. The games affected have mainly been some of the games it publishes (although not all games they publish, like Crackdown or N+ for example, and there are more examples if you want to hear them).

I don't think anyone would disagree with any publisher (EA, Activision, Nobilis, Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo) making decisions about the games that they publish; Sony has also monetized DLC, naturally. There is one major example of a third party publisher complaining about Microsoft asking them to charge money; Valve with Crash Course for Left 4 Dead -- they also charged money for The Passing, which was free on PC, but it's unclear if Microsoft asked them to do that or if they made that choice of their own volition. This is the concern the poster is referring to.

So the question is--does Sony exert pressure on third party games to monetize DLC? The answer is yes and no. No one has ever claimed that Sony have exerted social pressure (or asked developers to charge for would-be content). There are no situations similar to Crash Course. However, they have the bandwidth charge, which is a technical pressure. All products distributed over PSN are billed $0.16 per gigabyte of bandwidth used, whether the content is paid or free. It was believed that the fee impacted only the first 60 days of downloads of free content, while it impacted the lifetime of paid content.

This fee, along with certification costs (which would be true of any console but not PC), would be the likely reason behind this costing money.

mujun

dallow_bg said:
Price isn't that bad though, unlike the free on PC Left 4 Dead 2 content that cost quite a bit more on 360.

I had no hope we'd even get this level for the PS3.

I read this post as "PS3 wins again, naa na naa na naa!"

Lain

Considering I'm not a fan of Trine, they'd have to pay me to download more of it.
Shameful of them to charge for it, however little it may be.

Top Bottom