• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hugely Successful Serieses that Died a Magnanimous Death (EA IP Vault Edition)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
iqx7kk.png

OP's Note: Noticed after drafting this there is a post-your-favorite-forgotten-franchise thread around but hopefully the EA-centricity of this can make it stand on its own merit. I've been fascinated by EA's dusty IP vault ever since they killed off basically every Origin series so this is a pet interest of mine.

Canary a day can go by that there isn't a thread pining for revivals or old EA games. If you're in the 25-35 range, you grew up in a universe where games like Ultima, Road Rash, and more recently SSX were basically the Star Wars of their day. Hugely successful franchises both critically and commercially, many of which seemed to vanish out of thin air.

A reprisal:

Road Rash Series (incl. Skitchin')
5d066r.png
s3ndi9.jpg

Famous For: Being literally the most bad-ass racing game ever. Great graphics and the mix of violence and comedy was really novel, especially when combined with the unparalleled quality that was the hallmark of EA games.
Highlight: Road Rash II. Also Skitchin', which I find to be a criminally forgotten title.
Lowlight: Road Rash 3D and 64, the 3D efforts that appear to have killed the series.
Chances of Revival: For Skitchin', nil until big bulky rollerblades with brakes on the back come back into fashion. For Road Rash, you'd think high as there have been various rumors about Criterion working on a new game, but they've started to reach the point of absurdity.
Do You Remember the Time?: You ran over a mile to the finish because you didn't want to be busted by a cop, only to find out you needed to be on your bike to finish? Well, I do.

SSX Series
1fck5c.jpg
okmwy1.jpg

Famous For: Being an extreme sports fighting/racing game that was actually cool in spite of its trying very hard to be cool. Also for giving one of the best feelings of speed to this day and being far and away the best PS2 launch title. Actually shares a lot with Road Rash in terms of being a fast race where you can attack people from time to time, but the SSX mechanics were incredibly well tuned.
Highlight: 3 if you like one mountain, Tricky if you like many different mountains. An eternal debate.
Lowlight: Blur apparently, though it's hard to call that a total lowlight and the game has its devoted fans. Not really a total stinker in the SSX family apart from the N-Gage Out of Bounds.
Chances of Revival: Much like the game, extreme. You would think. The game appears absolutely built for HD and yet we don't have a proper HD entry. Another rumor-mill favorite where you start to think that the only reason the rumors exist is because everyone wants them to be true.
Do You Remember the Time?: You caught your first big air in SSX and landed going downhill at what felt like a kajillion real mph.

Mutant League Series
2lk5vnr.jpg
dlhmbk.jpg

Famous For: Being Monster Sports! And done using the Madden and NHL engines so the gameplay was actually quality unlike Jerry Glanville's Pigskin Footbrawl and its ilk. You could bribe refs and kill players, and it was all done in that funny cartoony style that was EA's trademark at the time.
Highlight: Football and hockey were both great. Holes in the ice!
Lowlight: Being promised Mutant League Basketball on the back of the Mutant League Hockey manual.
Chances of Revival: Close to nilch. Apparently there was quite a push internally at EA some time ago to bring the series back, but I'm sure all those people have been laid off by now unfortunately.
Do You Remember the Time?: You won a game because the other team had too many dead players.

Ultima Series
2uy3ehu.jpg
2hqy0m1.jpg
vqqkjr.jpg

Famous For: Being the best RPG series ever, by far.
Highlight: For some Ultima V or VI, where they really fine-tuned the formula, but for me VII where they introduced a huge open world where it felt like you could do anything you wanted and there were interesting stories to follow at every turn. It was GTA before GTA!
Lowlight: Ultima VIII or IX. After the promise of VII, VIII was basically rushed out the door to cash in. IX Garriott did the best he could with but it was completely Game Over by that time.
Chances of Revival: None. The IP has been completely plundered and Garriott is out.
Do You Remember the Time?: You first ransacked someone's house in Ultima VII, and the Guardian called you out on your behavior.

Very Honorable Mentions:
-Wing Commander Series: Origin. Sigh.
-Strike Series (Desert Strike, Jungle Strike, etc.): AAA action-gaming before it existed.
-SimCity Series: Would merit its own megathread.
-Populous Series: First* God Game.
-System Shock Series: Added. But Bioshock just improves upon System Shock -- better graphics and story and more streamlined gameplay. J/k I've barely played Bioshock but pretend I started gaming on the 360 and said that earnestly for maximum enjoyment.

Oddball and awesome single games back when EA used to make those:
-Will Harvey's Zany Golf
-Haunting Starring Polterguy
-General Chaos

mrfh20.jpg
6tmgk5.jpg
23iezgi.jpg

Isn´t every single Bullfrog license supposed to be the first ones mentioned in lists like this? Honorable mentions and stuff like that, when a series like Road Rash gets art cover posted.......the nerve some people have!

szaromir

Banned
AstroLad said:
-Syndicate (also highly deserving so had to be mentioned)
Isn't it being developed by Starbreeze or is it only a rumour? It's probably Xcomed, but still...
edit: beaten

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
CecilRousso said:
Isn´t every single Bullfrog license supposed to be the first ones mentioned in lists like this? Honorable mentions and stuff like that, when a series like Road Rash gets art cover posted.......the nerve some people have!
One man can literally do so much. Although Bullfrog over Origin is a mega-no in my book. Also I wanted to focus more on EA-developed titles rather than their many guttings, though I did throw Ultima up there because of my love for Origin.
Criterion is obviously hard at work on all of them right now.
:lol They would probably make a cool Strike Commander, that's for sure. (Road Rash and SSX being the blatantly obvious and awesome choices of course.)

DaBuddaDa

AstroLad said:
Ultima Series
2uy3ehu.jpg
2hqy0m1.jpg
vqqkjr.jpg

Famous For: Being the best RPG series ever, by far.
Highlight: For some Ultima V or VI, where they really fine-tuned the formula, but for me VII where they introduced a huge open world where it felt like you could do anything you wanted and there were interesting stories to follow at every turn. It was GTA before GTA!
Lowlight: Ultima VIII or IX. After the promise of VII, VIII was basically rushed out the door to cash in. IX Garriott did the best he could with but it was completely Game Over by that time.
Chances of Revival: None. The IP has been completely plundered and Garriott is out.
Do You Remember the Time?: You first ransacked someone's house in Ultima VII, and the Guardian called you out on your behavior.
Seriously. Why hasn't Ultima been given a reboot or something? One of the most famous and influential RPG series of all time just sitting around. Was its name really that poisoned from the IX debacle? A new Ultima could be the "Bethesda-killer" some wrpg fans have been looking for.

Mama Robotnik said:
You have made this thread, and it is a fine thread, a fine thread indeed.

But it is is missing the vital two words: System. Shock.
Bioshock is to System Shock as Dragon Age is to Baldur's Gate.

Also As for Ultima, I would fucking kill for a handheld version of VII with updated interface. Could "the bag" in the Ultima series was awful then and is now

I weep for Ultima and System Shock.

Ultima could be EA's answer to Elder Scrolls, and while I love what Visceral is doing with Dead Space, System Shock it ain't.

Nice thread Astro, even if it makes me sad. Keep updating the OP! :)

Radogol

DaBuddaDa said:
Seriously. Why hasn't Ultima been given a reboot or something?

Ultima Online is still going. There's a reboot of sorts as well.

I would be SO happy if an actual RPG reboot was announced. Make it so, EA!

epmode

This thread hurts so much.

If nothing else, it makes me wonder how much money they're leaving off the table by not signing with GOG.com. I'd kill to play some of those old PC games again.

Crusader: No Remorse/No Regret pls

DaBuddaDa said:
Seriously. Why hasn't Ultima been given a reboot or something? One of the most famous and influential RPG series of all time just sitting around. Was its name really that poisoned from the IX debacle? A new Ultima could be the "Bethesda-killer" some wrpg fans have been looking for.

Please no .. Garriott is who made Ultima what it was.

Plus EA would make it a sucky MMO/WoW clone, last thing we need.

Radogol

KernelPanic said:

A tale of a knight with a laser pistol who defeats evil wizards after flying a starfighter?

FunkyPajamas said:
While I love what Visceral is doing with Dead Space, System Shock it ain't.

I've heard rumors it literally was at one point.

Theme Park:

screenshot972-1.png

Dungeon Keeper

General Chaos:

generalchaos.gif

I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention General Chaos outside of the friends I grew up with playing the game on Genesis. It was a really fun strategy/action blend that was perfect for two players. There were different types of soldiers that wielded different weapons like the flamethrower, bazooka, shotgun, machine gun, dynamite and more. I really enjoyed it, and I don't need to mention how much I miss Bullfrog.

AstroLad said:
I mentioned it in the OP! Great game that really reeked of EA 16-bit magic through and through.
Oh wow, I did completely miss that boxart photo, huh? Well, you're the first person that I've heard mention this game on the Internet. Glad to see that I'm not the only one who played it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Interesting, never played Crusader for whatever reason though I do remember reading about it in CGW.

Oh wow, I did completely miss that boxart photo, huh? Well, you're the first person that I've heard mention this game on the Internet. Glad to see that I'm not the only one who played it.
Yeah I just added the boxarts for those single games but I did have it in the list -- brother and I loved that game. He'll still bring it up from time to time.

DaBuddaDa

KernelPanic said:

Plus EA would make it a sucky MMO/WoW clone, last thing we need.
Fallout 3 came out pretty well without Tim Cain or Leo Boyarski. I'm not talking about wanting a MMO or WoW clone, I'm talking about a new, single-player open world style game like Underworld or VI.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Hasn't syndicate been in development for like 30 years? Whats going on? That rumor is as old as I am.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I know I was hoping EA would announce at least a new Will Harvey's Zany Golf, Haunting Starring Polterguy, Mutant League, and General Chaos today. :/

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Y2Kev said:
Hasn't syndicate been in development for like 30 years? Whats going on? That rumor is as old as I am.
Based on Starbreeze's comments that thing is supposed to be very far along as well.

I would be rather surprised if we didn't see it at Gamescom unless they actually intend for this game to be in development for five years.

Radogol said:
A tale of a knight with a laser pistol who defeats evil wizards after flying a starfighter?

Yep that's how it started and then look at how the series progressed from there (until EA started intefering). Pretty good huh ?

DaBuddaDa said:
Fallout 3 came out pretty well without Tim Cain or Leo Boyarski. I'm not talking about wanting a MMO or WoW clone, I'm talking about a new, single-player open world style game like Underworld or VI.

I think they've tried twice to create UO2 before it failed, if they were to try again it'd be an MMO. They're not going to try and create UW3 or UX or anything else along those lines.

Lots of other like Warren Spector and Paul Neurath made the series what it was as well, seriously doubt EA has the chops to do anything other than an UO sequel.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
AstroLad said:
Do You Remember the Time?: You ran over a mile to the finish because you didn't want to be busted by a cop, only to find out you needed to be on your bike to finish? Well, I do.
I didn't until you reminded me. It was awesomely hilarious too because I was playing at a friend's house.

Him: What are you doing?
Me: RUNNING!!!
Him: The whole way???

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Jive Turkey said:
I didn't until you reminded me. It was awesomely hilarious too because I was playing at a friend's house.

Him: What are you doing?
Me: RUNNING!!!
Him: The whole way???
I was hoping someone else did that! Remember the miles counting in tenths down so slowly....

Tiktaalik

Y2Kev said:

I've heard a lot of Ex-EA guys mention its existence. I'm assuming it's an on again/off again project dating back to (at least) last gen. I'm not sure to what degree it's ever gotten out of pre-production.

Radogol

KernelPanic said:
Yep that's how it started and then look at how the series progressed from there (until EA started intefering). Pretty good huh ?

You know I'm kidding, Garriot was a kid back then so it's no wonder the plot was awful, but still, he was surrounded by very talented people from Ultima IV onwards. Let's not give him too much credit.

Somewhere near Origins also lies the dead corpse of Westwood Studios, another victim of that "man-EA-c"... ;_;

Lands of Lore:

250px-Lands_of_Lore_-_The_Throne_of_Chaos.PNG

The Legend of Kyrandia:

721053-7037_boxshot_legend_of_kyrandia_large.jpg

Grayman

I think in road rash 3 you could finish the race this way. At least I remember the running but not the disappointment of DNF...

I have another addition I'd like to make:

C&C Renegade

ren4.jpg

I know this is a much more recent property than what the thread calls for, but I have to let the greatness of this game's multiplayer be known by all. Ever since Westwood was shut down the C&C series has taken a serious nosedive, but man, if this game didn't feature some of the finest online multiplayer I've ever seen then call me crazy. There's nothing like sneaking into the GDI base as a stealth trooper packing tons of C4 to blow up their structures and limit what kind of units/vehicles/defense they could pump out. I really liked the five structures that each team had in a base from the actual strategy games: command center, barracks/hand of NOD, vehicle factory, Oblisk of Light/GDI equivalent (I can't remember), and another building type that I also cannot remember.

I disregard the single player campaign because it was a stinker, but I don't think the multiplayer portion earned enough credit back in its day. That was such a fine game. Battlefield 1942, Soldier of Fortune 2, and this game were all released that year, which made it one of my favorite years for online action ever. They don't make 'em like this anymore, ladies and gents.

I think EA were really smart to stop making SSX games for a bit. People were starting to get burned out on the franchise. When they finally do announce one, it'll be big news.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
snoopeasystreet said:
I think EA were really smart to stop making SSX games for a bit. People were starting to get burned out on the franchise. When they finally do announce one, it'll be big news.
But you could say that about almost every franchise in the OP at some point (UIX sucked -- good thing they gave Ultima a break!). I don't think it's part of some master plan, I just think at this point it's another franchise stuck in the vault. Forgot to mention about Peter Moore mentioning last year that EA needs to make more games like SSX that appeal to a broad audience. But yeah at this point I'm not seeing a real sequel coming down the pike, maybe ever. Although at least it's not totally in the dustbin like all the 16-bit and PC franchises.

Top Bottom