• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys 7 - US Release August 17th - $29.99 retail and PSN |OT|

Aeana

CDVRp.jpg

Title: Ys ζʹ
Developer: Nihon Falcom
Publisher: XSEED
System: Sony PSP
Genre: Action RPG
Release: August 17, 2010 US Retail/US PSN/EU PSN

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWyjCE4Pe-Y&fmt=18
XSEED's crappy trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W3e6xZ1ddo&fmt=18

Official Site

Price: $29.99 standard edition, $49.99 limited edition.
LE includes: "Oversized 12.5" by 34" Cloth Map highlighting the world of the Ys series, Game soundtrack CD featuring more than 20 songs and 60-page art book showcasing artwork from the Ys series"

HzDMd.jpg
q9oVL.jpg

Information

There was a time when many fans thought the Ys series dead. Ys 5 came out in 1996, and many years passed without a peep about a sixth entry. Remakes of the first two games surfaced, but this wasn’t a surprise — these games had already shown up on every platform imaginable before. Falcom surprised everybody in 2003 when they released Ys 6: The Ark of Napishtim. Not only because it was a brand new game in a presumed-forgotten series, but because it was such a dramatic departure from the past games in the series. It was truly a reinvention of the Ys formula, and it was a hit amongst fans.

Seven years later, it’s difficult to assert that the series is dead or dying. After Ark of Napishtim, Falcom went on to release two more Ys games in a relatively short time span: Ys: Oath in Felghana, a re-imagining of Ys 3; and Ys Origin, a prequel to the first game in the series. Both built on the foundation laid by Ark of Napishtim, but didn’t do anything radically different.

Enter Ys 7, which once again turns the formula on its head, not only through combat changes, but also by giving the player a party to command for the first time.

Stuff about the game that's cool
  • The first Ys game developed specifically for the PSP, taking its strengths into account.
  • Party play — control three characters instead of one, quickly swapping between them in real-time in order to exploit enemy weaknesses.
  • Incredibly fast-paced action combat that series fans have come to expect, along with huge and difficult boss fights.
  • Multiple difficulty levels ranging from easy to nightmare.
  • Lots of loot to collect and use in the game's item/equipment synthesis system.
  • Some other junk; nobody reads this stuff anyway.

YYPeq.jpg
qvowj.jpg

pBf1V.jpg
125lz6u.jpg

Thanks to archnemesis for the banner.

Ricker

I won`t be getting the LE but I pre-ordered it anyway for the manager over at Gamestop,he asked me to pre-order so he gets a copy that he can put on display,he will then give me my 5 bucks back...I did pre-order the regular edition though since some PSP games are hard to find sometimes(no french instructions or something like that) over here...can`t wait,it looks great.

Kobiekun

Preorded my LE from Amazon some time ago. My PSP sure is getting a lot of use this year. I may have to splurge for the TV out cables.

Larsen B

Pre-ordered the LE from VG+.

As said elsewhere, this is my first time with the series and I'm really looking forward to it.

I didn't liked 6, any reason I should be hyped for this one? I wouldn't mind a good aRPG on my PSP, and it's getting a european release too :D

Aeana

RockmanWhore said:
I didn't liked 6, any reason I should be hyped for this one? I wouldn't mind a good aRPG on my PSP, and it's getting a european release too :D
Well, that depends on what you didn't like about 6.

Grimmy

Banned
RockmanWhore said:

I didn't like Ys VI either, but then the PSP port was awful. I don't think the new PSP ones will be a problem, since Falcom handled them themselves

Have it ordered on UMD. Toyed around with the idea of getting the special edition, but in the end, I have nowhere to put the cloth map.

Grimmy said:
I didn't like Ys VI either, but then the PSP port was awful. I don't think the new PSP ones will be a problem, since Falcom handled them themselves

The fact that there are almost no load times from the UMD (based on videos and talk) already make it seem so much better than VI.

Vorador

Banned
Really pumped up for this.

Btw, Ys VI PSP port was god awful. Blurry textures, loading times everywhere....

The ps2 port is the way to go.

I have been craving a old-school RPG lately along the lines of my favorite classics like:

-FFV
-Lunar
-Suikoden 2
-Wild Arms

I wan't a pretty engaging story and great characters. Will I like Y's(Never played any of the others) or is it more of a loot game?

Salaadin

BruceLeeRoy said:
I have been craving a old-school RPG lately along the lines of my favorite classics like:

-FFV
-Lunar
-Suikoden 2
-Wild Arms

I wan't a pretty engaging story and great characters. Will I like Y's(Never played any of the others) or is it more of a loot game?

Its mostly action. The story is pretty nonexistent. Whats there is only there to further along your quest to be more badass.

Salaadin said:
Its mostly action. The story is pretty nonexistent. Whats there is only there to further along your quest to be more badass.

haven't played seven yet, but the story of previous games is good enough to make you care like every other better RPG. you won't get hours of cutscenes, but if you like classic RPG storytelling you'll love Ys. there's enough lore out there.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
LE pre-ordered, I'm bummed there's no release date delivery on Amazon, but I should have it in time for my weekend trip. This is my first Ys game. Can't wait for Chronicles & Oath either.

mjc

I've got the LE reserved and it's my first Ys game. Looking forward to it!

Would Ark of Naphitism be worth a look? I'd only go for the PS2 version if I go for it at all.

Salaadin

mjc said:

Would Ark of Naphitism be worth a look? I'd only go for the PS2 version if I go for it at all.

I played it on PC so I dont know how the PS2 version fares. I know they re-did the graphics and such but the old sprite look can be enabled with cheats. Its a great game though.

LowParry

Volcynika said:
I honestly think people put an apostrophe in Ys just to annoy people.

:p

Probably pronounce is "Whys" as well. :lol Day 1 people. Support Ys cause it's so damn good! And we want Origins ported! Buy buy buy!

linkboy

mjc said:

Yes, it is, fantastic game.

Quixzlizx

I'm weak. I asked my GS employee friend to put in a LE pre-order for me this weekend. Damn cloth maps I'll never look at twice.

Volcynika

Since I've spent a helluva lot of money lately, think I'll just go for the standard edition UMD. I can just enjoy the music as I play and probably wouldn't bother with the map at all.

Have the LE preordered (+ another for a friend in Australia) and will be doubedipping on the PSN version to play on the Go. Can't wait to add the cloth map to my collection of Ys junk. :D

mauaus

Princess Skittles said:
Not really, those are more adventure games, Ys is pretty much pure, fast-paced action.
aweeeesooomeee i had my rpg fix with persona 3 i was looking for something a little less rpgish :lol

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
One of the only game that I will say Day 1. I'm a huge Ys fan. Best game series IMO. I have all the PC Engine versions.

Salaadin

Anyone elses amazon order showing an estimated delivery of September 2nd? Mine does so I emailed them about it and they said that theres a lot of Ys seven orders to fill so that might be why mine was pushed back. At the latest, I can expect it by September 2nd.

Ive had this reserved since June 14th.......Did I just get a goofy amazon rep?

Macstorm

Salaadin said:
Anyone elses amazon order showing an estimated delivery of September 2nd? Mine does so I emailed them about it and they said that theres a lot of Ys seven orders to fill so that might be why mine was pushed back. At the latest, I can expect it by September 2nd.

Ive had this reserved since June 14th.......Did I just get a goofy amazon rep?
Email XSEED, they offered to try to help someone from my site who was having the same problem.

Top Bottom