• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing MGS4 for the first time...it has the visual fidelity of Crysis! Only better!

Insertia

MGS4 is a game with a ton of depth. It's a full experience. The amount of control over the character and his actions are staggering. There is a ton of variety in all aspects of the gameplay. This is amazing considering how the rest of the games in the series have great gameplay that doesn't feel especially fluid. MGS4 is unusually polished. And it's a visual masterpiece. It's a 3rd person action shooter with the visual fidelity of Crysis only with a more refined and developed look.

I completed Splinter Cell: Conviction a while ago, fun game...but shallow experience compared to this.

I really had no idea what a beast of a game this was. My research of the game shows that I'm not crazy for being in awe. Reading IGN and Gamespot's slobbering 10/10 reviews reveals that I'm kinda sane. MGS4 is like a shiny crystal in video gaming I didn't know about

Kojima and his team are masters of this videogame making thing.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm very fond of the game as well, for some of the same reasons, but brace yourself for a tidal wave of ridicule.

Reading it again, I realize that you're probably being sarcastic. Oh well.

Empty

i'm pretty happy with other developers being lazy if it means them skimping on creating seven hours of dreadfully written cutscenes.

Man

I want to praise the game super hard but in this thread there will be no point.
Summarized: There's yet to be released a contender to this super dense spectacle.

Persona7 said:
Even back in 2008 I thought it looked like shit.
Really...

Insertia said:
MGS4 is a game with a ton of depth. It's a full experience. The amount of control over the character and his actions are staggering. There is a ton of variety in all aspects of the gameplay. This is amazing considering how the rest of the games in the series have great gameplay that doesn't feel especially fluid. MGS4 is unusually polished. And it's a visual masterpiece. It's a 3rd person action shooter with the visual fidelity of Crysis only with a more refined and developed look.

I completed Splinter Cell: Conviction a while ago, fun game...but shallow experience compared to this.

I really had no idea what a beast of a game this was. My research of the game shows that I'm not crazy for being in awe. Reading IGN and Gamespot's slobbering 10/10 reviews reveals that I'm kinda sane. MGS4 is like a shiny crystal in video gaming I didn't know about

Kojima and his team are masters of this videogame making thing.

i agree with everything you've said, minus IGN and Gamespot.

_Isaac

I can't tell if you're being serious or not. Either way, it was a really fun game. I enjoyed it. I've been wanting to play through it again, but FFXIII and LBP are taking up my time.

The game is well polished, but the first two acts are the only good portions of the game. Everything else is pretty linear. Also, the story sucks ass.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
A lot of things right about it, a lot of things wrong about it.

Pretty fun game, though. Hard to replay it, personally.

Slavik81

It did some things very, very well. The ridiculous amount of money they must have spent on it definitely helped in many ways.

But money can't solve some problems. And some of those problems that money couldn't solve are hideous.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
But does it have robot lobsters with chef hats making sandwiches on a rail?

And that's why Excite Bots is better.

I loved it as well but I'm not blind to its flaws.

The loading/installation between chapters is terrible. Uncharted 2 had Drake globe trotting without any need for a loading screen.

I also felt there was too much available to you that it never felt satisfying taking anyone out. It was too easy.

You'll see a shit-ton of posts where people bitch about chapter 3 and beyond. Ignore them. They're so simple and narrow minded to appreciate what was there to be enjoyed. They saw view the "chapter 3" title as if it meant "part 3" to the game and should have contained so much more when in actuallity it's just a fragment of the game.

Jomjom

Banned
Persona7 said:
Visual Masterpiece?

Even back in 2008 I thought it looked like shit.

Wow exaggerating a bit are we?

I've played and seen a hell of a lot of games on both 360 and PS3 since 2008 and MGS4 is still up there visually. If you thought it looked like shit you probably need to go get a pair of glasses.

Gravijah

EvaPlusMinus said:
A lot of things right about it, a lot of things wrong about it.

Pretty fun game, though. Hard to replay it, personally.

It's also the worst game ever to try to show to people. "Hey, sorry, gotta install this act..."

It's a great game, but it's best enjoyed by pretending the entire thing is a VR simulation that never actually happens. As far as I'm concerned everything that happened in the MGS timeline after MGS2 is still unknown and will remain that way. Believing that is more satisfying than accepting MGS4 as a resolution.

Act 1 and 2 are great. And then the gameplay went away.

It's also the worst game ever to try to show to people. "Hey, sorry, gotta install this act..."

Oh yeah, I recently replayed this game with some friends, neither really into MGS. I told them when they should skip a cutscene, and then I'd give a good jist of what happened. Much better that way. B&B Corp scenes and history, anything that gets too deep into mechanics or history were the primary offenders. We got to the very end and I mock-enthusiastically asked them "WOW GREAT GAME WASN"T IT WANNA WATCH TEH EPILOGUE!/!?11"

They both replied "Nah not really", "I don't think I do".

DaBuddaDa

Quickly, everyone disagree with the OP with out-of-control, cynically hyperbolic insults against the game!!! FASTER!!! NOT FAST ENOUGH!!!

I wouldn't call them master's when it's the only title ever to require multiple mid game installs. The tech is pretty bad in this game actually. Also, sign up for MGO and come back and let us know how that goes.

I'm guessing you haven't finished the game yet. Prepare to be really disappointed when you get into act 3 and realize that all that polish and varied controls aren't going to matter much once the rest of the game becomes a 6 hour cut scene with an occasional game play break only to justify it's classification as a game.

I was so annoyed when I'd realized that the entirety of the final act consisted of two rooms to play through and an interactive cut scene.

Peff

mgs-peace-walker.jpg

mileS

PetriP-TNT said:
I love this game but it's useless to fight MGS4 Hate Force

its extremely hard to believe GAF voted MGS4 GOTY and it actually won. I think some of the same people that voted for it just say they hate it now because its the cool thing to do.

(insert lame cutscene joke here)

Top Bottom