• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGMHQ: YouTube Channel with Modern and Somewhat Overlooked Video Game Music

Nert

jyGiWV6dzEaO7.png

Table of Contents

1) Introduction
2) "Where Do I Start?"
3) VGMHQ Spreadsheet
4) Other YouTube Channels and Music Playlists

Introduction

Hello, Gaming GAF! The primary purpose of this thread is for me to share and discuss my YouTube Channel (channel link: http://www.youtube.com/user/RoeBlogThing?feature=mhum) with everyone. Additionally, I'm hoping to encourage a broader conversation about music in modern video games.

The basic purpose of this channel is to share selections from some of my favorite video game soundtracks. The videos are all uploaded in at least 720p (to allow for a higher bitrate on the audio) and are fairly minimalist, with no bizarre AMVs, popup messages, or personalized introductions. More important, however, are the guidelines that I follow when selecting songs. I want to highlight modern video game music, including music from more obscure games, that is often left out of conversations about game soundtracks.

Part of the impetus for the channel's creation was reactionary; although I've seen a widespread appreciation of video game music, a lot of seems to be intensely concentrated. Some franchises (including Final Fantasy, Mega Man, Sonic, Chrono Trigger/Cross, Halo, and Mario, and many others), while having soundtracks that are very worthy of praise, can crowd out others. There are many excellent composers out there that deserve more accolades for the work that they do, yet they are often assigned to smaller and more niche titles that don't have the same level of exposure. While I occasionally include selections from the "obvious" franchises, I'm also hoping to introduce people to at least a few pieces that they haven't yet heard. In other words: this channel is not there to tell you that Donkey Kong Country 2's soundtrack is great again.

Outside of discussing just the channel (and any suggestions you may have for it), I'd love to read what you all think about modern game music in general. Are you content with the current state of game soundtracks compared to what's been composed in the past? Do certain genres provide music that you enjoy more consistently than other genres? What types of music do you think are under utilized in current games?
The correct answer to that last question is hip-hop, of course. More soundtracks like the one for the Afro Samurai game would be welcome.

Nert

"Where Do I Start?"

Well, inquisitive hypothetical person, I'm here to help. If you have the time, you should start from the beginning and enjoy it all, but for those of you with schedules and responsibilities, combing through almost 300 songs might be too daunting a task. Listed below are three simple subcategories that should serve as more manageable starting points.

iqUzuhNUwJTFe.png

The Moon in My Palm (Dear Esther)
igrW2XdrLwUXn.jpg

Swimming While It Rains (Dustforce)
ibiEgm4qc76PmH.jpg

Jowd ~A Captive of Fate (Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective)
ibmRKmEBmMuJlp.jpg

Pulse (MilkSnake)
jZ35gMCF6IVYz.png

you can't fxxk me (Karous)
jHF1LMoiJWvx1.jpg

For You (Runaway 3: A Twist of Fate)
jb0pXPJtMyf3Y4.jpg

Card Castles in the Sky (Alice: Madness Returns)
jbvALXyUy42coy.jpeg

When Good Heists Go Bad (Saints Row: The Third)
jPj5KZAKq0aEb.jpg

Neon Mines (Shatter)
jBQSnq4zUYqjW.jpg

Furueru Kokoro (Asura's Wrath)
j62MXWoWjOIhd.jpg

iblGIjSvblNdA.png

The Battle of Lil' Slugger (Super Meat Boy)
jbtpL2b1hXtNwL.jpg

Brainiac Maniac (Plants vs. Zombies)
jtwXziqsGlXpA.png

Leave the Past Behind (Scott Pilgrim vs. The World)
jTk8NUVjiHkjq.jpg

Fire Aura (The Impossible Game)
jpGDSzLjY0Aid.jpg

Deeper (Frozen Synapse)
jrWrZwscx8Cgf.jpg

March of the Dreadnoughts (Final Fantasy XIII)
jJxcs4KhbAZKj.png

Theme of the Unwound Future (Professor Layton and the Unwound Future)
jt7fQYSGCJtaf.jpg

Transition (Bit.Trip Beat)
jbmNnrrLyhqeCz.jpg

March of the ilomilos (ilomilo)
jozoKzrucPltb.jpg

David's Theme (Gray Matter)
jM4wl0kaSVZHI.jpg

ibhgF7QQyFmLIs.png

Color of the Heart (Magic Pengel: The Quest for Color)
jmU87lt2IPNEK.jpg

Trample Machine (Another Bound Neo)
jbxYD6QZ7TdgiG.jpg

Life (Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru)
jSJI2MyWPYfDn.jpg

invAde yOu (Space Invaders Extreme)
jm1kE3EXrHI2V.jpg

Anun Teimei (Muramasa: The Demon Blade)
jYml7Ixj0KkAj.jpg

Whoa I'm In Space Cuba (Mighty Switch Force!)
j66RKpYIPYAhx.jpg

Build That Wall (Bastion)
jzOfAVJ3wX4Pv.jpg

Baluchons (Knytt Stories)
jtAVF6nzKLfyy.jpg

Blue the True Hero (Viewtiful Joe)
jUeUFVrzKTKRT.jpg

Kimono Dance (Afro Samurai)
jbsHOePtEfJmfx.jpg

Nert

Comprehensive VGMHQ Spreadsheet

If you would like a quick way to see every song (and game) that has been featured in the channel, take a gander at this spreadsheet. At the moment, it only lists the video number, the song, and the game. Future updates will add the corresponding composer name(s) for each song, a link to more detailed album information, and more.

Other YouTube Channels and Music Playlists

Note: If you would like something to be included here, let me know and I'll make it happen.

SupraDarky's YouTube Channel (This larger channel more heavily features music from older games, but there is still a high degree of variety)

??? (I don't know who created this playlist, but there are a lot of great fan-made remixes in it)

V_Ben

Banned
This is a very nice idea, and I'll certainly be subscribing to it. Love the Prince of Persia soundtrack :D

LAMBO

VVVVVV music reminds me of all that great music that Warez groups used to add to their launcher programs.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
I wholly endorse this product and/or service. Really annoying to hear bad video game music when it's so often done so well.

Funny you post this the day after I announced VVVVVV songs for Rock Band 3. And now the Super Meat Boy guys are sending me emails too.

Nert

I'm starting to update the free soundtrack session; I should have a good chunk of them up by later tonight.

Nert

In addition to the free game soundtracks section, I'm also gradually working on providing links to individual videos that have been uploaded to correspond with the "Games Featured Thus Far" section.

While I'm tinkering with all of these links, I might as well pose a question: would people be interested in having links for albums that are available for purchase (through something like iTunes or Amazon) as well?

DaBuddaDa

Nert said:
Part of my impetus for the channel's creation was reactionary; although I've seen a widespread appreciation of video game music, a lot of seems to be intensely concentrated in music from specific franchises and time periods. There are some similar channels on YouTube, for example, that heavily feature songs from the usual franchises (Mario, Zelda, Mega Man, Sonic, Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy, Pokemon, Kingdom Hearts, etc.); some also seem to focus more on invoking the nostalgia of playing the games than on celebrating the music itself. These aren't at all bad things, and I will likely pull music from some of these sources on occasion, but I think that there is a lot of other great music in gaming that deserves similar accolades and attention.
One of the best gaming soundtracks of all time comes from a little known SNES mascot platformer called Plok. Now, this isn't nostalgia speaking. I've never played the game in my life. It sounds like it was written by some huge progressive rock nerds who somehow got the job to make a video game soundtrack. Some of it sounds like King Crimson outtakes in MIDI. Even though it is from the same era as the games you mentioned, more people need to go check this out, it's truly amazing stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jbJSftFr20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ODKKILZiYY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OHV_ByQIIw

Also, props to making an awesome thread!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Get Mask of the Betrayer's soundtrack in there. Everyone remembers Alex Brandon for Deus Ex, but MotB is really solid.

System Shock 2's metallic beats and the music from Vampire Bloodlines. Chinatown would be a good choice for the latter.

Also good choice for Aquaria and Demon's Souls, though I would have gone with Deionarra's Theme for Planescape.

And excellent choice in ODST. Best soundtrack in a series of great soundtracks.

Nert

I just finished throwing up a link for every track; it's a good thing that I'm done, too, because my hands are starting to cramp up something fierce :p

I'll be back with some more thread and channel updates tomorrow; thank you for all of the feedback!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I liked their choice from the Neotokyo soundtrack, but there are better songs on that OST.

Josh7289

I just downloaded and played some Another Bound Neo because of the OP mentioning it. It's a pretty Metroid Prime-like game, and the Metroid clones can kind of kill you pretty fast (on normal difficulty mode, at least), to the point where it didn't really feel fair.

But it's interesting to see a Japanese FPS like this. It seems to be pretty story heavy and the graphics are good enough for an indie game apparently made in 3 months (according to the interview at the bottom of this review: http://www.vector.co.jp/games/review/1342/1342.html). The mouse controls are a little strange, though, like it's kind of floaty, and the lock-on system seems like it would be unnecessary if the reticule were a little easier to control. Though it could be another Metroid Prime type idea.

Anyway, why am I reviewing this game :lol

Oh right, this thread. Yeah, the music is definitely a high point of it. It contributes a lot to the atmosphere of the game. Listen to that track in the OP and download the game here if you want (you have to set Windows to default to Japanese for non-Unicode text in Control Panel, though, for the game to run): http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA029904/anotherbound-neo/

Solune

Trauma Team music is so good. Soooo gooood. A Brighter Day and Unfulfilled Life. Whole bunch of other tracks are worthy as well. Anyone who likes Trauma Center games and hasnt checked out Trauma Team should check out the music at least.

Nert

thetrin said:
I liked their choice from the Neotokyo soundtrack, but there are better songs on that OST.

NeoTokyo is definitely a soundtrack that I'll pull from more than once over time; just for the sake of discussion, though, which tracks do you prefer?

Myriadis

Great selection.BG&E <3
Recommendations?

The Orginal "Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles".Pick one,they are all great (except the overworld theme,maybe).Sadly overlooked,but one of the best soundtracks,if not even the best soundtrack I ever heard.

Same with Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon,the best Soundtrack ever done on a N64."Kai Highway" and "Goe Goe Spark" are recommended.

My favorite track from Iji is "Smash Organ",a bonus track on the Iji HQ Music pack,which is of course freely available.

The game "The Underside" (basically a Cave Story Spinoff) has a wonderful track which plays in the ruins.I just don't know how to use .pttunes files right now.

Nert

I just thought of something that I forgot to explicitly mention in the OP; if you guys have any similar projects of your own or other recommendations of game music channels, feel free to let me know. I'll likely carve out a section in the OP later tonight with links to other channels and playlists.

Nert

For today's update, I've selected Wolvercote Catacombs from Trine.

trine_feat.jpg

I'd like to thank everyone that's suggested some soundtracks for me to try out; I'll definitely give them all a listen soon. Keep them coming :D

Nert said:
I just thought of something that I forgot to explicitly mention in the OP; if you guys have any similar projects of your own or other recommendations of game music channels, feel free to let me know. I'll likely carve out a section in the OP later tonight with links to other channels and playlists.

I've always bounced around that idea, but haven't bothered to put forth the effort one afternoon to start it, nor guarentee the upkeep. Maybe some day soon.

I recommend the soundtrack to Headhunter, little-known PS2 shooter no one played. But it has a fantastic orchestral/synth action score by Richard Jacques and it's one of my favorites.

Geneijin

Nert said:
Try looking through SupraDarky's channel. It has a nice selection.

As for some recommendations, The Tales series music is usually composed by Motoi Sakuraba, whom I'm not much of a fan of honestly, so Go Shiina's score in Legendia was quite a welcoming surprise. I'm a big fan of it.

Tales of Legendia
melfes ~ Shining Blue
Delkes Black Wings
The Birds Chirp, I Sing
Chasing Shirley
Enemy Attack
Short Circuit
To Deliver The Feelings
my tales

But I do like a few tracks especially from Sakuraba's Infinite Undiscovery.

Infinite Undiscovery
Dewdrops in the Morning Wind
Beguiling Mirage
Colorful Days
Towering Behemoth
Air of Authority
Forgotten Bard
Bridge to Happiness

DaBuddaDa said:
One of the best gaming soundtracks of all time comes from a little known SNES mascot platformer called Plok. Now, this isn't nostalgia speaking. I've never played the game in my life. It sounds like it was written by some huge progressive rock nerds who somehow got the job to make a video game soundtrack. Some of it sounds like King Crimson outtakes in MIDI. Even though it is from the same era as the games you mentioned, more people need to go check this out, it's truly amazing stuff:

I remember renting it thinking it was some crappy game because I never heard of it but there was nothing new or decent available at the time. I was really surprised. It's actually a pretty awesome platformer. The best track though, is probably the title screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTSW4M28XQg

Samples from a bunch of areas in the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRarpk3WaR0&feature=related

Not sure if it counts according to the OP's request. I know the bigger franchises are mentioned but I've always liked the music in Super Mario RPG. It's not a soundtrack that really sounds like other Mario games so I recommend it.

Let's go down the Wine River
Hello Happy Kingdom
Ripple Town (my fav)

And yeah, second System Shock 2. The theme for Engineering being my fav:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtdQ5roMuEA&feature=related

Nert

Wow, the soundtrack for Headhunter is excellent! I'll definitely be selecting something from that in the near future.

Keikaku

faceless007 said:
I recommend the soundtrack to Headhunter, little-known PS2 shooter no one played. But it has a fantastic orchestral/synth action score by Richard Jacques and it's one of my favorites.

Dude . . . Headhunter is an awesome DREAMCAST game. The PS2 version came afterwards >:|

Poor, oft-forgotten DC :lol

Also, great thread Nert. I'm officially a fan of your channel :D

Nert

After faceless007 recommended it, I went through the Headhunter soundtrack and decided to upload Jack's Theme from Headhunter. I should have time for another upload or two today as well.

Headhunter_Cover.jpg

Nert

DaBuddaDa said:

Oh cool, this soundtrack was done by Tim Follin. I've loved all of the stuff that I've heard from him so far (including the Ecco the Dolphin track I've uploaded). This might be a bit too retro for the channel itself, but I'll definitely give this a listen.

Top Bottom