• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Cage strikes again : Wii is a toy, a funny boardgame...

... and Nintendo's empire with the Wii is over.

David Cage said some interesting things in an interview he gave at Paris Games Week :

David Cage said:
When you have a game console like the Playstation that has a hard drive, a blu-ray reader, that connects to the internet, and does a billion other things, and that has a "hard" in terms of games that really is extraordinary, well, I think at some point people make the difference between something that is like a toy, a funny boardgame like the Wii, and a real... well a real multimedia center with an extremely strong videogame experence.

Is it obvious trolling trolling ?

Source

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
StuBurns said:
The Wii is a toy, however, the implication that PS3 or 360 is not is ridiculous.

but ps3 has the bluray and the gb's

how is it toy it is on the internet

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
David Cage said:
I think at some point people make the difference between something that is like a toy, a funny boradgame like the Wii, and a real... well a real multimedia center with an extremely strong videogame experence.
Says the guy who wants to turn video games into exceptionally terrible movies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What he says is more like "People make a distinction between something like the Wii which comes off like a toy or a really excellent board game... and a real multimedia center with a real strong video game component"

I'm not sure if you feel the tonal difference in my translation versus the one provided changes what he's saying, but I do at least. It's not really meant to be an insult, and it's not really that "The Wii is an <x>", it's more like "People treat the Wii like an <x>"...

*shrugs* There's a danger in translating things and presenting them to an audience with a sort of intent to lead them into interpreting it in a certain way.

Sadist

JonStark said:
The head of Quantic Dreams, makers of f Heavy Rain, Farenheit and The Nomad Soul
Oooooh

Well he should make his game be more fun to play

Don't shoot me, but I thought HR was okay at best. 7 in my book

You know David Cage. The David Cage.

Anyway, I could see why he would say that.. but then again his studio works for a company which is basically releasing the Wii HD right now so.

Red

markatisu said:
The only "real multimedia center with an extremely strong videogame experence" is a pc

The rest are all toys
Netflix + internet + media streaming brings them past beings toys IMO.

David Cage is such a twat.

Everybody was robogasming over his list in that "developers post their top 3 ps2 games" thread but it just looked so phony and predictable.

He's pretentious and thinks his games are art when the cutscenes in Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain were terrible. Some of the worst voice acting out there, and stories weren't anything to write home about either. Guys like this and Tameem are all talk and no game....pun intended.

By the way this isn't in response to his quote. I just found a fairly relevant platform to voice my rant on Cage. :D

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Suzzopher said:
Aren't all video game consoles toys?

I think he's trying to make a distinction between systems you pull out now and then for a bit of fun and those you play regularly and use regularly because they're focal points of entertainment etc. etc.

I think it's akin to THQ's 'monopoly box in the closet' comment about Wii.

Stumpokapow said:
What he says is more like "People make a distinction between something like the Wii which comes off like a toy or a really excellent board game... and a real multimedia center with a real strong video game component"

I'm not sure if you feel the tonal difference in my translation versus the one provided changes what he's saying, but I do at least. It's not really meant to be an insult, and it's not really that "The Wii is an <x>", it's more like "People treat the Wii like an <x>"...

*shrugs* I don't really think people should use machine translations to post threads about inflammatory statements, and I don't really think that people should react until they've had the translations verified.

If you watch the whole video, he said that in a very negative tone, meaning Nintendo should come with something new now that Wii's empire is over. He also said Nintendo distorted the market this gen and perverted the normal competition between Microsoft and Sony.

stilgar

I think at some point people make the difference between something that is like a toy, a funny boradgame like the Wii, and a real... well a real vaccum cleaner with an extremely strong cleaning experience.

wii.jpg

=/=
henry-vacuum-cleaner.jpg

People! These are not the same, so please, take my vacuum. It even has a smile on it!

SimonM7

I don't see the trolling. The Wii is a toy as an extension of a game being a toy. It's a fun thing you interact and play with. When you put a movie in and watch that, or when you listen to music, or when you browse the internet or video chat with friends, that's clearly something else. The HD consoles happen to have these other functionality to them.

I think the trolling is in the eyes of the beholder on this one. Or maybe in a weirdly defensive definition of the word toy.

SimonM7 said:
I don't see the trolling. The Wii is a toy as an extension of a game being a toy. It's a fun thing you interact and play with. When you put a movie in and watch that, or when you listen to music, or when you browse the internet or video chat with friends, that's clearly something else. The HD consoles happen to have these other functionality to them.

I think the trolling is in the eyes of the beholder on this one. Or maybe in a weirdly defensive definition of the word toy.

Wii can browse the internet.

Oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

JonStark said:
If you watch the whole video, he said that in a very negative tone, meaning Nintendo should come with something new now that Wii's empire is over. He also said Nintendo distorted the market this gen and perverted the normal competition between Microsoft and Sony.

Jeez, sometimes I think people are butthurt over Nintendo being on top rather than the actual "problems" they created.

YourMaster

I think the games are the toys actually. The console is comparable with the kitchen table in relation to board games.

Suzzopher

gofreak said:
I think he's trying to make a distinction between systems you pull out now and then for a bit of fun and those you play regularly and use regularly because they're focal points of entertainment etc. etc.

I think it's akin to THQ's 'monopoly box in the closet' comment about Wii.

But that definition would mean that my 360 is a toy.

Although none of my friends want to play on it when they come over.

Top Bottom