• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors |OT| of AWESOME! OUTSTANDING! AMAZING! CUBE! And Very High Reviews

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
DSuE2.png

ayxGE.png

Publisher: SEGA
Developer: Sonic Team, DIMPS
Platforms: Wii, Nintendo DS
Genre: Platformer
Modes: Single-player, multi-player

Release dates:
* AUS November 11th, 2010
* EU November 12, 2010
* NA November 16, 2010
* JP November 12, 2010

5envq.jpg
iXJrE.jpg

9OsXT.png

Doctor Eggman *cough*Robotnik*cough* is up to his dastardly old tricks again, kidnapping the lovely little alien wisps and using them to power his kick-ass new amusement park....in space!
So it looks like its time for Sonic to rip shit up in the name of freedom of cute creatures and stuff...in space!

...that seems to be it. No prophecies, no time travel, no storybook themes, and we're pretty sure Sonic never kisses anyone.

7L19C.png

Sources have it the team behind Sonic Colors has no idea what makes a fun game. The controls are abysmal and their bizarre decision to only support the Balance board as a control input, flailing your legs in real time with Sonic's legs, is exhausting and inaccurate. And unfortunately only about a third of the game is spent running around, while the rest of the time is spent navigating an old-school text adventure in an attempt to reach the next planet. However the levels where you take control of a sentient Zucchini are said to actually be fun, especially the way they integrate aspects of pixel-hunting exploration.

....wait...none of that is true? It seems that Colors might be....good? Reviews are positive? No gimmicks? Just fun, fast-paced levels with multiple routes, gorgeous graphics, and tight controls? Just what the heck going on here?

The Wii version of Sonic Colors plays similarly to Sonic Unleashed, but with a much higher focus on sidescrolling gameplay and slowing down to platform and explore the levels. In fact according to some sources upwards of 70% of the game is in 2D. That's right folks, Sega finally fixed 3D Sonic by making it 2D.
Compared to Unleashed the physics seem to have been tweaked to allow for more accurate platforming and low-speed control, complete with a double jump. The levels are full of the alternate routes and hidden by-ways that Sonic games are known for and you even break open a container of cute creatures at the end of most levels! And there's no padding: just simple level select screens that drop you directly into the action.
To put this in perspective folks: at one point drifting around turns in the game was handled by tilting the nunchuck. You may realize that this is a f**king stupid idea. Then, in later builds, it was turned into a button press. Someone on the team was cutting out f**king stupid ideas!

The game also comes with a co-op/competitive multiplayer mode, known as the Sonic Simulator. Taking control of two robotic Sonics, you and a friend will blast through a 2D sidescrolling level, using your wisp powers together to overcome obstacles. It even has Mii support, so you too can be Sonic's shitty friend!

The DS version plays similarly to the Sonic Rush titles before it, and has been developed by the same team. There's really not much more to say on that front: multiple impressions have called it “Sonic Rush 3”.

However, both games do both feature a few large additions: the Wisps. These powered-up little alien critters will grant Sonic a variety of short-term abilities that seriously change up how he moves through the environment.

Don't take our word for it though, check out the following gameplay vids:
Wii Version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsDwm_I1_VM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMLrpnjwyTU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwgnY3s3KUU&feature=related

DS Version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZTl6flhCo8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDKPLFYe_ZE

(IGN video review)
http://www.ign.com/videos/2010/11/08/sonic-colors-ds-video-review?objectid=75627

K7B1I.png

6EmoZ.png
VjvkP.png
pjprT.png
VavAP.png
X1bIs.png

vD1bZ.png
9tOh7.png
kelfs.png
tmK85.png
DZF6p.png

White: The white wisps serve as Sonic's source of boost power, and the help fill the gauge at the bottom of the screen that his abilities pull from.

Cyan: When activated, Sonic gets a chance to aim himself with the help of some handy guides on screen. As soon as he's aimed he then transforms into a laser beam that will shoot through enemies, ricochet of crystals, and travel through power lines.

Yellow: When activated Sonic turns into a giant drill that allows him to burrow at high speed through various soft terrains. Many secret areas and rewards are hidden underground.

Orange: Sonic rockets upwards, slowly at first but with an eventual sudden burst. He blasts through anything in his way, and at the apex of the climb begins to free-fall slowly back to earth.

Pink: Exclusive to the Wii version, Pink will extend Sonic's spikes to dangerous levels, allowing him to bust through fragile blocks and climb up surfaces. Sonic can spin-dash in this form, sending him careening across the walls and ceilings.

Green: Exclusive to the Wii version, Green transforms Sonic into a slowly hovering alien....thingamajig. The biggest feature of this form is that it allows Sonic to preform his “light-dash” through long strings of rings, even ones that spiral and float through mid-air.

Blue: Exclusive to the Wii version, the Blue version behaves like the traditional P-switch from Mario, transforming special blue blocks into giant coins and visa versa, opening up new routes.

Purple: Exclusive to the Wii version. Purple sends Sonic into a monstrous frenzy. In this state he consumes all enemies and destructible blocks in his path, growing larger and larger the more he eats.

Red: Exclusive to the DS version, Red turns Sonic into a fireball capable of double-jump “bursting” in any direction.

Violet: Exclusive to the DS version, the Violet wisp turns Sonic ghostly, allowing him to float and pass through walls.

AAlWV.png

Tropical Resort

Sweet Mountain

Starlight Carnival

Planet Wisp

Aquatic Park

Asteroid Coaster

The Final Level
Intergalactic Elevator
No media yet

The Sonic Simulator

QE3Tx.png

WiiMagazin (German)
Wii version – 92%
DS version - 90%

Nintendo Power
Wii version – 9
A fantastic game. Not just a step in the right direction, but an unequivocal success. In fact, it's the best entry in the series since the Blue Blur's 16-bit heyday.
DS version – 7.5

GamePro (German)
Wii version - 87%
DS version – 87%
Video Review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30ecHD-DeBY

Official Nintendo Magazine
Wii version - 86%
DS version – 85%

1up
Wii version - B+

NGamer/CVG
Wii version – 86%
Colours Rockets Sonic closer to the stratospheric heights of past glories and hints at a great future. Welcome back old friend, it's been to long.

IGN
Wii version - 8.5
Sonic Colors is a dizzying combination of the distantly familiar memories of the first few Sonic titles combined with thoughtful new abilities and mostly well executed level design. There are a few issues that mar an otherwise awesome experience, but those shouldn't stop Sonic fans and Wii owners from grabbing the best Sonic game in 18 years. As a blueprint for the future of SEGA's star, Sonic Colors delivers, and then some.
Video review: http://www.ign.com/videos/2010/11/08/sonic-colors-video-review?objectid=75624

DS version - 8.5
Sonic Colors is undoubtedly the best portable Sonic game I’ve ever played, and may even be my favorite entry in the franchise. If you’ve never been into Sonic, then Colors certainly won’t change your mind, and the difficulty spikes and poor continue system will undoubtedly fluster many, but the ride is worth it. A year ago I was ready to relegate Sonic to the “won’t ever be good again” part of my heart, but, if this is where Sega’s taking the franchise, I’m ready to believe again. Welcome back, Sonic. I’ve missed you.
Video review: http://www.ign.com/videos/2010/11/08/sonic-colors-ds-video-review?objectid=75627

Famitsu
Wii Version - 8/8/8/10 (34)
DS Version - 8/8/8/8 (32)

Gamespot
Wii Version - 8
After the faithful but inconsistent first episode of Sonic the Hedgehog 4, Sonic Colours is a welcome surprise: a fresh-faced 3D Sonic with great looks and breezy action. A handful of flashy new abilities are tossed into the mix, but they don't undermine the essential Sonic formula of bot bopping, ring grabbing, and high-speed platforming. It's not without occasional niggles, but Sonic Colours exhilarates much more often than it frustrates, making it a commendable new entry in a sometimes shaky franchise. This is a Sonic game with verve and imagination, and Wii owners shouldn't miss an opportunity to play with Sonic at his best.

Eurogamer
Wii Version - 8

NGamer (Dutch)
Wii version - 8

VideoGamer
Wii Version - 8

Game Informer
Wii Version - 7
Sonic Team’s most recent Wii offering is evidence that it’s attempting to claw its way out of a deep grave crammed with disappointing titles. Some diehard Sonic fans with unlimited patience may find enjoyment here, but the rest of us should pick up one of Sonic’s fully 2D titles until they get it right.

GamesRadar
Wii Version - 7
So when it comes down to it, Sonic Colors is a pretty good game after all considerations. It both loves and hates the player, and this degree of love or hate depends on the type of player. Some could find its frustrations unforgiveable, while others will delight in its cornucopia of exploratory offerings. Those who love Sonic, or have really wanted to love him since his descent into mediocrity, likely won’t regret giving Colors a chance – but be prepared to muster some patience.

Gametrailers
Wii version - 6.4
Video review: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/re...-colors/706920

DS Version - 7.9
Video review: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-pod-sonic-colors/707260

VERDICT
RZSrb.png

(Massive thanks go to the Sonic News Network for all of the images and resources they compiled and to Lijik for the awesome title image)

AniHawk

Sources have it the team behind Sonic Colors has no idea what makes a fun game. The controls are abysmal and their bizarre requirement that you hold down Z and B alternately to move Sonic's legs in real time is a huge misstep. And unfortunately only about a third of the game is spent running around, while the rest of the time is spent navigating an old-school text adventure in an attempt to reach the next planet. However the levels where you take control of a sentient Zucchini are said to actually be fun, especially the way they integrate aspects of pixel-hunting exploration.

ugh, preorder canceled.

Lijik

The_Technomancer said:
Sources have it the team behind Sonic Colors has no idea what makes a fun game. The controls are abysmal and their bizarre requirement that you hold down Z and B alternately to move Sonic's legs in real time is a huge misstep. And unfortunately only about a third of the game is spent running around, while the rest of the time is spent navigating an old-school text adventure in an attempt to reach the next planet. However the levels where you take control of a sentient Zucchini are said to actually be fun, especially the way they integrate aspects of pixel-hunting exploration.

:lol :lol Incredible.

AniHawk said:
ugh, preorder canceled.

Haha when I read the Z and A button alternately thing, I immediately thought 'they may have actually done that, those fucks' and stopped reading :lol Ten minutes later I came back to this thread and kept reading.

PREORDER REDEEMED!

The Technomancer

aztrex said:
Haha when I read the Z and A button alternately thing, I immediately thought 'they may have actually done that, those fucks' and stopped reading :lol Ten minutes later I came back to this thread and kept reading.

PREORDER REDEEMED!
:lol Haha, damnit, someone else warned me about that, but I figured it would be fine.....maybe I should remove it?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
holy shit I believed that part at first...I was like WHAT

Anyways, nice thread. I won't believe it until I see it but it'll be fun to see how this turns out.

The Technomancer

KAL2006 said:
Nice OP, though it would be great if there was more info for DS version as well, such as gameplay videos
Decent screens and videos for the DS version are actually really hard to find. I've got some DS screens that I can add though.

Lijik

Takao said:
I didn't like the DS demo.
Me neither, it felt like Rush but with less production value and a lack of feeling like you need to be propelling forward at all times.

AniHawk

Played the DS demo again last night. It's pretty nice. Like the red wisp, and I was surprised to see that wall jumping made it into this game as well.

They should have called it Sonic Rush Colors.

DAY ONE!!! I am so hyped for this game. I am replaying Rush Adventure right now. Such a great game, so much more content than the original, I don't get the hate.

Takao

Banned
Lijik said:
Me neither, it felt like Rush but with less production value and a lack of feeling like you need to be propelling forward at all times.

Yeah, that's how I'm feeling. There's also something "off" with Sonic's model that I can't quite explain.

TheOGB

Banned
You are hella awesome for this Technomancer. Sweet pic, Lijik!

I only just now noticed. You'd think violets would be violet instead of blue, right? :lol :lol :lol

Azure J

I already love this thread. :lol

Good stuff Technomancer. Taking a slight detour from the praise the game play is getting, I wonder when the soundtrack will see a release though, I am in love with a ton of the songs I've heard from the game already.

AniHawk said:
For me it's the non-platforming stuff.

Yeah I know but you only have to get through that once, then you can access every level in level selects and do all the missions, time trails, get high scores, etc.

Salsa

I personally think that "rush" colors looks great. A bit more steamlined than the first two, and graphic-wise, it looks simple. But i think all of this achieves a more back-to-the-basics gameplay. Of course there's that shitty glider stuff but oh well :lol

Nice OP, cynical yet optimistic, an interesting mix!

I'm not going near this game at present, I've suffered enough. I remember hearing really positive things about Sonic and the Secret Rings, and took the chance on it: it was so awful that I felt bad trading it in, because some other poor bastard might but it preowned and suffer the same fate that I did. Its music was probably the worst I've played in any game, I mean it actually made me angry hearing it over and over again, it was that bad.

I'm curious where is the sting is going to be in this game? I'm not speaking green eyes and "Eggman", but the following:

Do the Whisps talk with annoying voices, like the rest of Sonic's Shitty Little Friends?

Does the game suffer the same dire voice acting that has plagued the series since Sonic Adventure?

Are the cutscenes skippable?

Is the music awful?

Is that bloody homing attack still taking over the gameplay for us?

If the answers to these questions are unexpectedly positive, I'd be tempted to give this a look.

SalsaShark said:

Ugh, so the DS port is just Sonic Rush 3 then?

Why For?

Banned
If this is basically Unleashed day levels fleshed out into it's own game, I might pick this up.

But I'm concerned by that "Press Z and B to run" thing? Is that for real?

The Technomancer

Mama Robotnik said:
Nice OP, cynical yet optimistic, an interesting mix!

I'm not going near this game at present, I've suffered enough. I remember hearing really positive things about Sonic and the Secret Rings, and took the chance on it: it was so awful that I felt bad trading it in, because some other poor bastard might but it preowned and suffer the same fate that I did. Its music was probably the worst I've played in any game, I mean it actually made me angry hearing it over and over again, it was that bad.

I'm curious where is the sting is going to be in this game? I'm not speaking green eyes and "Eggman", but the following:

Do the Whisps talk with annoying voices, like the rest of Sonic's Shitty Little Friends? No

Does the game suffer the same dire voice acting that has plagued the series since Sonic Adventure? No, its not Oscar quality, but in a recent video released by Sega the writing seemed decent and the voice acting non-cringeworthy. I'll find it...

Are the cutscenes skippable? Unknown

Is the music awful? Quite the contrary. Check out the second gameplay vid I linked to and tell me that isn't awesome

Is that bloody homing attack still taking over the gameplay for us? Yes...but I think it can still be very fun. Check out the first gameplay vid for how the homing attack is likely to play

If the answers to these questions are unexpectedly positive, I'd be tempted to give this a look.

:D

Why For? said:
If this is basically Unleashed day levels fleshed out into it's own game, I might pick this up.

But I'm concerned by that "Press Z and B to run" thing? Is that for real?
Not at all. Okay, I'm changing that part to something truly ludicrous, so that no-one gets it mixed up. It controls totally normally, Wiimote and Nunchuk or CC supported. (I think Gamecube as well?

Salsa

Mama Robotnik said:

yep, wich is great!

would you rather risk something new from Sonic Team ? i mean wii version certainly looks good but two in a row ? :lol

Lijik

Mama Robotnik said:
Do the Whisps talk with annoying voices, like the rest of Sonic's Shitty Little Friends?

Does the game suffer the same dire voice acting that has plagued the series since Sonic Adventure?

Is the music awful?
You can reach your own conclusions from these youtube vids:
InGame Cutscene
Level Select themes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnSXSg8LHs8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md_0lY2_Hks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD_NngzrL5I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHA6L_peZRQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT5p6N9sdVA

TheOGB

Banned
AzureJericho said:
I already love this thread. :lol

Good stuff Technomancer. Taking a slight detour from the praise the game play is getting, I wonder when the soundtrack will see a release though, I am in love with a ton of the songs I've heard from the game already.
Right there with you bro. Unfortunately we must wait until the end of December until the glorious music is in our grasps

TheOGB

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:

Are the cutscenes skippable?

Is the music awful?

Is that bloody homing attack still taking over the gameplay for us?

They are, actually

Did you ask these questions ironically?

Top Bottom