• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors |OT| of AWESOME! OUTSTANDING! AMAZING! CUBE! And Very High Reviews

MYE said:
Is there anything more depressing than setting yourself up for a ban over a Sonic game?

I dont think so :lol
Whoa is that grounds for a ban? I really didn't know. Should I change my posts? Not very eager to join Huelen, RIP.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
SwiftSketcher said:
Whoa is that grounds for a ban? I really didn't know. Should I change my posts?
Port begging is bannable but your post was pretty harmless and I'm sure it won't trigger any alarms.

Don't worry Swift, you are one of the rare few that ask it in a kindly manner. :)

And you didn't know, there are MANY hidden rules in GAF that SHOULD be in the FAQ. Why they're not, I'll never know...

Other rules include in Japanese-centric threads like Famitsu; always get your info from a reliable source (like Siliconera or Andriasang), and never post scans or even ask for them. :)

MYE

SwiftSketcher said:
Whoa is that grounds for a ban? I really didn't know. Should I change my posts? Not very eager to join Huelen, RIP.

I think you're safe, but dont go happy on the port begging trigger dude :)
The port begging spree in the Epic Mickey thread claimed more lives than the bombings of Hiroshima

mclem

Yoshi said:
You're quite brave, aren't you ;)? If you like platformers, buying a Wii isn't a bad idea, considering three great Mario titles, DKCR, Kirby, Wario, Sonic Colors and Epic Mickey.

To be fair, we don't yet know that Epic Mickey is good. I'm certainly hoping it turns out to be, but I can't help feeling that we're due some disappointment.

Kunai

Azure Phoenix said:
Just caught up and listened to the soundtrack. I've got a strong feeling that the Phantasy Star Universe composers were involved with the soundtrack, that first final boss track shares many similarities with the The Last Story and The Vibe: The End of Planets.

And that second final boss track and Aquatic Park Act 1 & 3 are simply unbelievable, I never believed that we'd ever hear a Sonic soundtrack that could come close to S3&K again but Colours has not just equaled S3&K, it has surpassed it.

The composers are basically the same from Sonic Unleashed and you’re right some of them were the composers for PSU.

Producer:
Kenichi Tokoi (PSU Composer)

Composers:
Tomoya Ohtani
Fumie Kumatani (PSU Composer)
Mariko Nanba
Naofumi Hataya
Hideaki Kobayashi (PSU Composer)

And I agree the game OST is amazing.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
mclem said:
To be fair, we don't yet know that Epic Mickey is good. I'm certainly hoping it turns out to be, but I can't help feeling that we're due some disappointment.
Epic Mickey might be a disappointment, but I think that's not too probable. If it does suck, though, I still am of the opinion, that Wii is worth its price for a platformer-fan.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Fuu said:
Super Sonic gameplay
:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnvC7iFyG5M

Starts @ 1:20
when he gets 50 rings
. Oh god, oh man, oh god, oh man.
jPGKf.gif

Well, I'll be, this game is actually good? I came to the 3D Sonics pretty late, played SA1 and 2 last year on my DC. I've been hoping for a good sonic game since. Those gameplay trailers have me hooked. Only question is Wii or Dolphin?

JADS

mikespit1200 said:
Well, I'll be, this game is actually good? I came to the 3D Sonics pretty late, played SA1 and 2 last year on my DC. I've been hoping for a good sonic game since. Those gameplay trailers have me hooked. Only question is Wii or Dolphin?

Both, chances are Dolphin isn't completely compatible with the game yet.

mclem

Yoshi said:
Epic Mickey might be a disappointment, but I think that's not too probable. If it does suck, though, I still am of the opinion, that Wii is worth its price for a platformer-fan.

Oh, absolutely no doubt. Not sure if it was this thread or the DKCR one but I suggested that there's valid arguments that the Wii might be the best platformer system since the SNES.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Fuu said:
Won't S ranking be too easy with Super Sonic? I wonder how it affects the stage ranking or if you don't get ranked at all.
I doubt it
he consumes rings, I think? If they are as valuable as they were in Unleashed, turning into Super Sonic is a bad idea.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yoshi said:
I doubt it
he consumes rings, I think? If they are as valuable as they were in Unleashed, turning into Super Sonic is a bad idea.
Good point, they do affect the score. I didn't consider that at first.

GI review

This is why I cant trust the GI review

Replay: Moderately Low

That is the difference between me and them, I have always replayed Sonic games many many times to get S-Ranks and unlock everything. To get the max enjoyment out of the game it is a must. Those that just want to play straight through a game once and put it down will have a very different view of the game than those who invest time in it.

Glix

This is not a port beg AT ALL. I have a Wii and I'm getting this game.

But for the health of the Sonic Franchise, I really hope this sees the light of day on other platforms, as I would like as many gamers as possible have the chance to experience Sega finally getting it right!!!

The Technomancer

MiamiWesker said:
GI review

That is the difference between me and them, I have always replayed Sonic games many many times to get S-Ranks and unlock everything. To get the max enjoyment out of the game it is a must. Those that just want to play straight through a game once and put it down will have a very different view of the game than those who invest time in it.
That does not read like a 7 review.

Kunai said:
The composers are basically the same from Sonic Unleashed and you’re right some of them were the composers for PSU.

Producer:
Kenichi Tokoi (PSU Composer)

Composers:
Tomoya Ohtani
Fumie Kumatani (PSU Composer)
Mariko Nanba
Naofumi Hataya
Hideaki Kobayashi (PSU Composer)

And I agree the game OST is amazing.

Bitchin' list!

Mariko Nanba
composed in Chaotix and Heroes, sound creator in Blinx 1, sound directed and composed in Billy Hatcher as well, etc.
Naofumi Hataya was a sound creator in Let's Tap, composed in both NiGHTS, did the sound in Sonic 2 8-bit, thanked in Blinx 1, etc.
Hideaki Kobayashi sound created PSO, Battle, Advance 3, Mega Collection Plus (maybe the GC version as well?), composed in NiGHTS 2, etc.

The rest you most likely know, Ohtani did Knuckles' themes in SA2, the main person behind Unleashed's music, etc. Tokoi and Kumatani both did a lot in the Adventure era.

Blueblur1

Personally, I'd buy an HD version in addition to the Wii version (the wait is killing me!) if Sega were to release one with new content and if were to address any faults the Wii game may have. Such requests are harmless, in my opinion. They're quite different from when GAF'ers called the Wii crappy in those other threads and begged for HD ports like spoiled children.

Man, it just hit me... We have a good Sonic game and a positive Sonic thread on GAF. I never thought I would ever see this happen. :O

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
MiamiWesker said:
GI review

It also sounds like they would have had the same complaints about Unleashed's daytime stages. So if you liked those, ignore this review.

The Technomancer

ZealousD said:
It also sounds like they would have had the same complaints about Unleashed's daytime stages. So if you liked those, ignore this review.
So far the main complaints have been
-non-interactive sections
-sudden deaths
-weird controls

Only the last one really matters to me. I enjoy the first in moderation, as the gameplay we've seen so far seems to attest. The second...I've beaten Bit.Trip.Runner for gods sake. The third will take some getting used to, but as long as the controls aren't totally borked then I'll be fine.

Compare that to literally everything else that this game is doing right and I am really hyped.

From GI:

During several fast-paced stretches Sonic is supposed to perform quick sidesteps, but the move is unresponsive and the game never clarifies when you need to maintain momentum by pressing forward on the analog stick.

Maybe cause you should always be pressing forward...

I don't get some of these reviewers.

Big One

Banned
I think it's agreed Colors is a great game and return to form, but I hope to god Sega will keep it up afterwards. Two or more years should be standard development time after Colors imo.

Jme

I'm not sure how to feel about this. I'm really confused by the whole "good sonic game" thing. This really wasn't on my radar in the slightest, mostly because 1) Sonic, and 2) Hamburger Levels.

Then this thread pops up, with all these great reviews, and I'm like... wtf just happened? I... guess I'll be trying this out?

Man, I love Sonic games, but I think after Secret Rings I just stopped trying them out.

Glix said:
This is not a port beg AT ALL. I have a Wii and I'm getting this game.

But for the health of the Sonic Franchise, I really hope this sees the light of day on other platforms, as I would like as many gamers as possible have the chance to experience Sega finally getting it right!!!

Is port begging not allowed on NeoGaf or something?
I agree with you though, I really want to see Sonic Colors ported over to 360/PS3. So Wii owners.. please buy this game. >:|

Nishastra

Banned
7echnicolor said:
Is port begging not allowed on NeoGaf or something?
It used to be that threads for pretty much any system-exclusive game would be filled with posts complaining about how it's not for 360/PS3/XBLA/PSN/whatever, and it got to the point where they just decided to ban people for doing it.

However, it's not enforced very regularly.

MiamiWesker said:
From GI:

Maybe cause you should always be pressing forward...

I don't get some of these reviewers.

It's a valid complaint if you've played any of the previous 3D Sonic, especially '06 when sometimes you hold forward and your sent way past a bumper, ledge, etc.

On the flip side too, there are certain sections where you don't need to hold forward and other times you do. It's gets confusing to figure out sometimes because the controls can be unresponsive, the chase scenes get demanding, and it's easier to get Sonic to quick step by just hitting left rather than holding forward, then left. And that was my biggest beef when I tried it out, the controls. Better than Unleashed, but still not up to part for a speedy, platformer.

AniHawk

It's pretty easy to decipher Gamestop reviews:

high score: This game is what the Gamestop audience would like to buy
average/low score: This game is what the Gamestop audience probably won't buy

It's either little kids or manly men that shop there, so that's why SPM and Kirby get stupidly high review scores while objectively superior games like Skies of Arcadia do not.

Nishastra said:
It used to be that threads for pretty much any system-exclusive game would be filled with posts complaining about how it's not for 360/PS3/XBLA/PSN/whatever, and it got to the point where they just decided to ban people for doing it.

However, it's not enforced very regularly.
I feel for this case it's more than just 'herrrrrrppp port MGSfawr darrrr'. This is a joyous occasion for Sonic fans. It's like we achieved world piece. Everyone should experience this, and I'm green with envy happy for those who get to. I have to get a Wii somehow. Though it certainly makes my saving up for a 3DS more difficult :(

Damn it Nintendo.

Top Bottom