• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Cruncheons 04: Onirim, Fallout NV, Blazing Souls Accelate, Castlevania, Enslaved

http://cruncheons.podbean.com/mf/web/zps39f/Cruncheons04.mp3

All-Playlist this time around:

(1:05) Guardians of Graxia

(6:20) Onirim Card Game

(11:20) Quick hits on Just Cause 2, Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter, Mafia II, Clive Barker's Jericho, Singularity

(23:25) Fallout: New Vegas - no story spoilers

(40:30) Blazing Souls: Accelate

(50:15) The Polynomial - Space of the Music

(53:00) Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

(1:03:30) Enslaved

(1:06:00) Samurai Warriors 3 and Sengoku Basara 3

Talk to you again soon!

Kevtones

After hearing good things on Enslaved's story, I was pretty disappointed. Fun game/ride, though.

Was there ever Vanquish talk?

Alex

When games like Valkyria Chronicles, which I do like as a sort of guilty pleasure, get any kind of wide praise as a strategy game, I find it hard to care what certain sects and fanbases have to say about it.

I just assume it's people not really giving a shit about how Japanese RPGs/SRPGs play half as much as they care about well presented the awful anime bullshit is. I don't think there's quite any type of game that dumps on the meaningful and puts the vapid on a pedestal (often even within cult fanbases) quite like the variates of Japanese roleplaying/strategy titles.

That's a pretty perfect summary of Castlevania too, I was enjoying it somewhat at first until the mechanics just got more and more and more derivative and the health bars just shot through the roof. The art direction in the game is AMAZING and there's great environment variety but the actual gameplay, which struggles to maintain a quality that I'd call average even, just wears you down and it is a lonnngg game. I never came anywhere near finishing it before I put it up on Ebay.

entremet

Man, Drinky, so much hate for Castlevania. I was thinking of picking it up, but your review soured me on it. It sounds terrible.

Amir0x

Banned
entrement said:
It seems to have its share of fans here too. Very divisive game.

Oh certainly, it does. I can see why some others liked it. It was very epic and very long, and you could FEEL the developer's enthusiasm. It just...man...so many stupid flaws that just added up and added up until I couldn't take it anymore. The worst being the shockingly awful framerate, and every other issue cascading down from there.

Wrote my review here.

Deathclaws are supposed to be tough kevin, they're pretty much the most badass, end of game creature in fallout. Have been since the original game, it's fallout 3 that turned them into complete pussies. Think of them as the albino scorps or mutant behemoths of new vegas.

Now saying that, they're actually pretty easy to kill once you get an anti material rifle (anti Vehicle, gun runners, around 4 to 7k caps). It has a scope so you can take a sneak critical headshot from miles away.

It's not really their power, it's the numbers they throw at you (at least 2 wherever you encounter them), and they show up pretty early in your travels depending on the direction you take. I still think FO3 handled it better by not really having them appear at all until you'd leveled up a bit, so you were still free to explore. New Vegas uses them as map barriers. Since we recorded I found a special power fist type weapon called "Pushy," and now I am knocking Deathclaws the hell out all over the place. I will seek out every Deathclaw in this game and beat them to death with this weapon, for all the hell they gave me early on. I also cleared out a huge nest of them by climbing up to the top of some mining equipment with Boone and raining down flameballs with the Heavy Incinerator while he sniped (this is not recommended, as it took foooooooorever).

We'll have to agree to disagree :p, i loathe the oblivion style level scaling in my RPG's. i'm of the opinion that there should be gated content where you can be man-raped by deadly creatures should you choose to ascend mount doom.

speaking of oblivion, another game with dodgy patrick stewart voice over work. :lol

one warning re: blazing souls: in order to progress you need to use wp (work points) to progress. these wp are hard to get. i really recommend using a map (or save/reloading) until you really understand how the search system works, or you might find you hafta do some serious grindng to find the next story area to advance. it's the one big flaw in the game.

entrement said:
It seems to have its share of fans here too. Very divisive game.

There's a bit of a disconnect when it comes to fans of quality games and fans of franchises. Fans of franchises tend to be a bit more brain dead and prone to overlooking flaws because ZOMG IT'S A NEW ENTRY IN THIS SERIES I LOVE SO MUCH!

Tempted to rent Samurai Warriors for Wii thanks to Drinky's impressions. Do not smell my stink of sh*t, I've been enjoying Ninety Nine Nights 2. :X

Imagine that, an overhyped Crapcom franchise? In this day and age? On neoGAF?! </lionsinAfrica>

Top Bottom