• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Dec 2010 Scores (DKCR+Kirby+Godofwar = 9.5... actually 9s for all!)

Basch

Hmm... Never saw this concept art before. Looks good. I've never really been into Tomb Raider, but I might try again with this one. Those enemies look pretty creepy.

Anyways, I don't know if this has been posted before, but I thought I'd share since I just got my issue and I didn't see it come up when I ran a quick search. Here's a list of reviews for last month's issue:

Game of the Month: Donkey Kong Returns

Arcania: Gothic 4 - 6.75/10
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - 9.25/10 (Magazine Exclusive)
Biggest Loser Ultimate Worker - 8/10 (Magazine Exclusive)
Call of Duty: Black Ops - 9/10
Costume Quest - 6/10
Dance Central - 8.75/10
DJ Hero 2 - 9.25/10
Donkey Kong Country Returns - 9.5/10 (Magazine Exclusive)
EA Sports MMA - 8.5/10
Fable 3 - 9/10
Fallout: New Vegas - 8.5/10
God of War: Ghost of Sparta - 9.5/10
Goldeneye 007 - 6.5/10
James Bond 007: Blood Stone - 7.5/10
Kirby's Epic Yarn - 9.5/10
Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom - 8/10 (Magazine Exclusive)
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem - 8.25/10 (Magazine Exclusive)
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - 8.75/10
Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare - 8/10
Shaun White Skateboarding - 7.75/10
Sims 3, The - 9/10
Sonic Free Riders - 5.75/10 (Magazine Exclusive)
Super Meat Boy - 9/10
WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2011 - 8/10

BowieZ said:
Ouch @ GoldenEye

This response demonstrates the issue of the scoring process in gaming journalism. 6.5 represents an above-average product and would equal around 3 stars out of five for your typical film review, which would mean it's well worth purchasing.

Nothing against you, but rather game journalism itself. 6.5 should be considered a solid score, but in the scheme of things it's a poor one.

Man

And now no one is disappointed!

9 in all reviews henceforth.
I'm serious. Maybe people will start to love games on their own merits again.

Dennis

Banned
Its a little hard to take scores seriously when everything scores so highly.....

Oh wait, Arcania got a bad score! Oh, well thats a Euro-RPG, no need to suck up to them.....

Amir0x

Banned
sillymonkey321 said:
"Fable 3 - 9/10"

I feel bad for any publisher who couldn't get a free 9/10 in this issue.

Super Meat Boy should have got an 11/10 just so it could distance itself from that shit. It should be shitting from its high perch upon Kirby and Fable 3.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Is their GoldenEye review the same as their awesome online review?

Majmun

I really didn't like Kirby and Fable 3. Oh well.

DennisK4 said:
Its a little hard to take scores seriously when everything scores so highly.....

Seriously. Goldeneye must be the worst game ever going by those scores.

Owzers

Majine said:
Ghost of Sparta keeps raking it in. Most underappreciated game on GAF right now? *looks at OT post count*

I think Chains of Olympus was greatly overrated/hyped/etc so i'm not surprised people aren't talking about Ghost of Sparta.

Amir0x

Banned
The Goldeneye Score is about the one thing they got right this issue! Let's discuss the real problems!

Like how virtually nothing gets below a 6 in their issues. Chop off half your scores, GI!

Basch

EatChildren said:
Is their GoldenEye review the same as their awesome online review?

Yep.

Guevara said:
What were the pros/cons of Read Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare?

+ Loved the supernatural change.
+ "Hollywood-caliber" voice acting
+ Great characters/writing with a wicked sense of humor.
+ Plenty of side quests and distractions.
- Missions can be somewhat uninspired (clearing towns and fetch quests).
- Aiming at quick enemies is frustrating.
- Not as good as GTA IV expansions.

Majmun

Amir0x said:
Like how virtually nothing gets below a 6 in their issues. Chop off half your scores, GI!

Well, there's always that Sonic game.

I know see that they also reviewed Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom. Good score, I think. Didn't know it was coming out this year.

Wow, Fable 3 got a 9/10? That's funny, considering how insanely short and easy the game is. It also does most things that Fable 2 did right, wrong.

Amir0x

Banned
Second said:

I know see that they also reviewed Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom. Good score, I think. Didn't know it was coming out this year.

Even that got a 5.75. Might as well round up at that point :lol

Shurs

Second said:

It comes out on the 23rd.

Jesus, this scoring system is ludicrous. Even before we get to the 7 seemingly being a below average (just using Blood Stone as an example)
MYE said:
Here's a guess
GoldenEye: not what the reviewer expected based on the previous GoldenEye
Blood Stone: slightly better than what the reviewer expected based on Quantum of Solace

Curufinwe

_Alkaline_ said:
This response demonstrates the issue of the scoring process in gaming journalism. 6.5 represents an above-average product and would equal around 3 stars out of five for your typical film review, which would mean it's well worth purchasing.

6.5 at GI is not a good score.

farnham

Banned
Gameinformer Review scores are based on the prediction if the Readership of them or the Gamestop Buyers will buy the game or not.

They gave Paper Mario 2 a 6.25 and cited as a reason that they predicted that their readership will not be interested in the game (Gamestop buyers will ignore the game).

Volcynika

Disappointed at the lack of a 999 review though, considering it comes out the 16th (and they have games that come out after that). I guess Aksys couldn't get them a copy in time or something else.

Amir0x

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Did GI just become Western Famitsu?

they've always been the Western Famitsu

*taps NeoGAF User Reviews thread*

only one place for reviews free from outside pressure

Shurs

Visualante said:
Jesus, this scoring system is ludicrous. Even before we get to the 7 seemingly being a below average (just using Blood Stone as an example)

7 is literally "Average" on their scale.

10-Outstanding
9-Superb
8-Very Good
7-Average
6-Limited Appeal
5-Flawed
4-Bad
3-Painful
2-Broken
1-Pretty Much Dead

syllogism

Willy105 said:
Did I miss something?
A game utterly devoid of any challenge is not a game worth playing, at least at full price. You may argue it's an experience as it is quite beautiful and charming, but that's not enough salvage it.

Shurs

syllogism said:
A game utterly devoid of any challenge is not a game worth playing, at least at full price. You may argue it's an experience as it is quite beautiful and charming, but that's not enough salvage it.

In your eyes.

BowieZ

Banned
10-Outstanding
9-Average
8-OK
7-Alright
6-Not Bad At All!
5-Not Bad
4-Bad
3-Very Bad!
2-WORSE!
1-OMG TEH WORST

NIGHT-

I haven't bought any new games lately but it seems like Kirby and Fable 3 are worth skipping by gaf standards?

Top Bottom