• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WIMBLEDON womens final results !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSN2K

1224759.jpg

:D :D :D

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
She did a great job, I'm watching it right now.

But damn she is indeed cocky, "playing it is so much easier".

Ceek

She's confident, like most successful athletes. And well she should be.

But Maria won today, and boy did she win. Very shocking, very impressive.

OmniGamer

Serena played like shit....this, coupled with the news that someone won the $290 Million dollar Mega Millions Jackpot(and 37 second-prize, $175K winners), has made for a very shitty saturday morning.

Luscious LeftFoot said:
Young, pretty, and a champion!

The market execs. must be foaming at the mouth.

You can bet on it. She's even more marketable than Kournicova since this girl is actually good and has won a tournament (Wimdledon no less).

siege

Banned
I'm so glad Sharapova won. Not a big fan of Serena at all, especially after she crushed Capriati in the quarters. :(

Hopefully, Sharapova doesn't get all Kournikova with the media spotlight now and sacrifices her game. She should be a great player for a long time to come.

siege said:
Hopefully, Sharapova doesn't get all Kournikova with the media spotlight now and sacrifices her game. She should be a great player for a long time to come.

Kournicova dropped off because she realised she couldn't be the top players. So she went with the modeling which wasn't a bad thing. While she was playing tennis, despite her never winning a tournament or even getting into later rounds (most of the time) she was always the highest paid female tennis player on the tour due to all the endorsements she had.

Alf_Life

jobber said:
she giggles too much

That's what I thought, but remember she *is* only 17...

SolidSnakeX said:
Serena owned. Which is good considering how cocky she is.

Yeah, I heard she said she'd knock her down a peg or two when asked about the comparissons people were making between them (winning a Grand Slam/Wimbledon(?) on their second attempt, and at 17 years of age).

And whoever said Shapri was 'too cocky herself' and used that quote about her saying 'playing is easier' - misquoted her, she actually said playing is easier for her than watching.

Deg

Banned
Shes going to hunted for endorsments now. She did very well and she'll likely last for some time if she keeps it up. Enjoyable to watch. I expected Serena to win but she definately isnt near her peak.

Deg

Banned
dorio said:
She still can't hold a candle to Kournikova in the looks department.

I personaly dont see the appeal of Kournikova. She didnt look all that and she didnt win grand slams.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who taped this for watching later due to inescapeable responsibilities I am seriously pissed off.

seriously...

It's not hard to reserve your joy for the thread itself rather that the title, all I did was view the off-topic forum and I get to see a spoiler like that.

DSN2K

Freeburn said:
As someone who taped this for watching later due to inescapeable responsibilities I am seriously pissed off.

seriously...

It's not hard to reserve your joy for the thread itself rather that the title, all I did was view the off-topic forum and I get to see a spoiler like that.

sry but...

your problem, not mine.

Akira

Serena! GRR. She SUCKED out there today. What happened to the fight she had in the semifinals? Or the brilliant play up until the semifinals? Hopefully this will get her to work much harder out there for the hardcourt season.

Maria outplayed Serena. That shouldn't be happening.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, take that attitude if you want, now it IS your problem.

Bigfoot

Deg said:
I personaly dont see the appeal of Kournikova. She didnt look all that and she didnt win grand slams.
I thought Kournikova won a couple of Grand slams as a doubles player? It's not like Kournikova was a horible player... she just wasn't good enough to be in the Top 5, and she lost focus with all the modelling and acting stuff.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Congrats, Sharapova.

SolidSnakex said:

This statement reminded me of a sewing circle bitch who tries to shape controversy out of anything.

Serena is a six time Grand Slam champion. She exudes confidence, not cockiness. Cocky would be blaming the loss on her own performance. She actually gave all credit to Sharapova.

I'm often impressed with how much humility the Williams sisters have displayed over the years, in comparison to other champions. And they certainly didn't get that from their father.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
While I'm pretty spoilerphobic myself, you gotta realise that for live sporting events that you've recorded, just don't come to the forum until you've watched it.

Personally I think Sharapova is far better looking than Kournikova.

ElyrionX

Sharapova was great and for the record, she's WAAAAAAY hotter than Kournikova.........

EDIT: DAMN, did DSN2K get totally owned or what?

Mama Smurf

Goreomedy said:
Serena is a six time Grand Slam champion. She exudes confidence, not cockiness. Cocky would be blaming the loss on her own performance. She actually gave all credit to Sharapova.

I'm often impressed with how much humility the Williams sisters have displayed over the years, in comparison to other champions. And they certainly didn't get that from their father.

Indeed. I can't say I follow tennis outside of Wimbledon, but Serena has always stuck me as very humble and gracious in defeat.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
ouch, you banned him for it? :(

It's hard remaining spoiler free for sporting events :( I try to avoid boxing news since I rarely get pay-per-view.

Akira

Sharapova isn't as nicely proportioned as Kournikova. Her legs are too long. She does have a cute face though.

Mama Smurf

Banned? Wow, harsh. It's not like he spoiled a storyline, this is more like discussing current events.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Spoilers in thread titles should be avoided, but admittedly in the adrenaline rush I can understand why they happen, incidently I didn't ban for the spoiler, but rather a temp ban for the "... your problem" attitude posted later.

Feel free to continue to discuss the Tennis...

Freeburn.

Goreomedy said:
Serena is a six time Grand Slam champion. She exudes confidence, not cockiness. Cocky would be blaming the loss on her own performance.

She does that alot. Whenever she loses alot of the times she'll say she just had a bad day, same for Venus. And it's mainly because she's bought into the whole untouchables thing that the media has built up around them so whenever they lose it's not because the person that beat them played better, it's because they didn't play as well as they should. Although both have seem to come off this as of late since they haven't been winning as much. And Venus should've been really pissed early on in this tournament when she got ripped off (the umpire gave Sprem an extra point in a tie break).

Deg

Banned
Goreomedy said:
Serena is a six time Grand Slam champion. She exudes confidence, not cockiness.

She's an awesome player. If i were her i would be abit cocky at times lol :p

I thought blaming loss on your own performance as well is just being realistic.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I agree the topic could've been more like "And the winner of Wimbledon is..."...

Whenever I record something or aim to watch a re-run of sports events, I stay away from ANY type of media, and as many people as I can. I almost get paranoid, and that's why I try to avoid missing sports events I want to see as much as possible. I was going to watch re-runs of some games during Euro 2004, but being stuck for 8 hours in the same place with a lot people who want to listen to the games on radio makes it very hard to avoid hearing the result. :/
I almost took a day off, but realized I needed the money, gave up and just listened to the radio instead...well, at least it's better than nothing.

Mama Smurf

As I was taught by a Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads? episode, unless you can stay in isolation somwhere for the day, just give it up if you've recorded a major sporting event. You'll hear somehow.

Shinobi

DSN2K said:
sry but...

your problem, not mine.

And Serena is cocky?
lol.gif
Next time just type "Wimbeldon's Women's Finals Thread"...makes it easier for everyone. Perhaps we need to include such clarifications in the TOS...not that I've ever read 'em, heh.

Goreomedy said:
Congrats, Sharapova.

This statement reminded me of a sewing circle bitch who tries to shape controversy out of anything.

Agreed...frankly if you think Serena is cocky, then you're an idiot. You just had to see the grace and class she had during the trophy presentations to see she's anything but cocky. That also goes for any suggestion that Maria was cocky too...just total nonsense. Both ladies are class acts.

Madison Avenue is going to be all over Maria's cute ass the second business opens Monday morning (or Tuesday, if people have the Monday off). Anna K's overexposure was more due to her never winning a title or being a player of real significance the last few years. As long as you're winning, you can never be seriously overexposed. Great champions will always be a hot draw, particularly when they boast either serious clutch play, a unique or interesting personality, or physical attractiveness. Amazingly enough, Maria might possess all three (well her personality is pretty girlish, but it's an interesting contrast compared to her cool, steely demeanour on the court).

Anyway, that was a great final...I like Serena as a player and person, and I've known about Maria for over a year now in terms of being the next potential tennis bunny. She looks to have serious game, and seems like a nice kid too. So congrats to both of them. It was also cool seeing their fathers congratulate each other, which shows where the girls get their class from.

Mama Smurf

Maria was pretty damn funny when talking to Serena, saying she was sorry she had to take the title away from her for a year etc.

It's so refreshing to see a sports star making jokes in an interview. I can't watch football interviews anymore, all the players are SO boring. Thank god for people like Maria and Ivanisevic who actually manage to keep me entertained.

Shinobi

I think the fact that she's still a girl is what lead to her humour. But yeah, it beats the usual standardized soundbites you hear from 98% of today's athletes. Though I don't blame athletes for giving us boring soundbites...when someone like Michael Irvin or Barry Bonds says something explosive, they get criticized for being cocky, rude, punkish or whatever. So athletes can't win either way. Maria's sense of humour is pretty refreshing, and I think it's that element of her personality that'll really make her attractive to people (aside from the physical looks).

Shinobi said:
Though I don't blame athletes for giving us boring soundbites...when someone like Michael Irvin or Barry Bonds says something explosive, they get criticized for being cocky, rude, punkish or whatever. So athletes can't win either way. Maria's sense of humour is pretty refreshing, and I think it's that element of her personality that'll really make her attractive to people (aside from the physical looks).

What makes Michael Irvin great is that even though he's praising himself he does it in such a comedic way that it doesn't seem like he's putting himself so far above everyone else. He always seems to be having fun when he's doing interviews. Same with Deion who always did his cocky interviews in more of a comedic way. They never really seemed too serious about it even if they knew they were better than others.

But you do have to balance it. Myskina won the French Open and the sportscasters were actually bashing her for not celebrating more. All she did was smile at the crowd, wave and bow. It was mainly because she didn't want to show up Dementieva who's one of her best friends. Serena/Venus also don't celebrate too much whenever they beat the other.

SolidSnakex said:

Owned? Cocky? Do you realize she's been dominating this spport for several years straight? I wouldn't call that cocky. Sharapova played better, simple as that. But you have to respect what the sister's have done for the game of tennis, period.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Suerte said:
Well looks like the guy on the far right is gay :lol

Hahaha, I was just in the middle of a combined "We'd Hit It" & "I'd hit him" photoshop hanging on that fact - but the source was too small, but yes, it does look that way doesn't it.

Freeburn.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
that pic is funny as hell... and the guy on the right is looking at her too.... he is just to her left... so he has to look the other way.....

also I know the Maxim article is on the way.... with the title ANNA WHO....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom