• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 124 |OT| Thread of motorboating GSP's ass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUTqsICSVl4

Ladies and gentlemen, the time has come.

The return of the man who personifies professionalism, dedication, and excellence in the sport of Mixed Martial Arts.

The return of the man who women want to be with, and men want to be.

The return of the man who has rhythm that no one can ‘andle.

The return....of GSP.

That’s right. On Saturday, December 11, the one and only Georges “Rush” St. Pierre returns to the Bell Centre in his native city of Montreal, to mark one more notch on his journey to MMA legend-hood.

ufc-124-poster.jpg

Next Saturday night, we will bear witness to yet another archetypal matchup, pitting the perennial good-guy St. Pierre against the man who has embraced the role of being a total douchewad in Josh Koscheck.

And this will also mark my first live UFC event. I saw a WEC event live in Vegas, but this is the first time that I will be a part of the screaming mass of humanity calling out for Josh Koscheck’s blood. I can’t wait.

WHY YOU SHOULD WATCH: Umm, haven’t you been reading? I said, GSP. If that doesn’t get you pumped, close your browser now. We don’t want you here.

UFC WELTERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP BOUT:

Georges “Rush” St. Pierre (20-2) vs. Josh “Give me back my plunger” Koscheck (15-4)

I will start with the easiest part of this analysis. And that is Kos’ ways to win:

1) If he has trained the absolute mother****ing sh*t out of his wrestling and intends to be able to put GSP on his back. Obviously, in the past, Kos has arrogantly neglected his wrestling, and it has cost him against both GSP and Thiago Alves. The fact is, Kos has potentially most skilled wrestling pedigree for GSP to deal with, and he has been training with wrestling God Ben Askren for this fight. If Koscheck has somehow found it within himself since their last meeting to be able to outwrestle GSP, then he could win this fight.

2) Find a home for his right hand. The one true definitive advantage Kos has in this fight over GSP is in punching power. Kos has discovered that he can put people to sleep with his right hand, moreso that GSP can. He isn’t as good as GSP on his feet, so this point is really just an addition to the Matt Serra Corollary to the “Anything Can Happen” rule in MMA. Still, can’t discount it out of hand in a five round fight.

Now, to dig a little deeper into why GSP will win:

He’s a better wrestler.

Forget point 1) for Kos. Forget everything you will ever hear about “wrestling credentials.” This is MMA. If I could count on one hand the number of times GSP has outwrestled a highly-credentialed wrestle----oh wait, I will.
Frank Trigg.-- US Olympic wrestling Trials finalist
Sean Sherk – didn’t go to college, but at the time, considered an amazing MMA wrestler.
Matt Hughes – Two time NCAA all-American
Kos – NCAA wrestling champion
BJ Penn – people rave about how Randy Couture had difficulty taking him down in training.
Jon Fitch – Captain of Purdue wrestling team.

In short: It doesn’t matter what titles you have won. In MMA, GSP is the best wrestler. Period. In their first match, GSP outwrestled Kos. They each scored a takedown in the first round, and in the rest of the fight, GSP scored a couple of takedowns, and defended amazingly at Kos’ only serious attempt at taking him down.

Bu-bu-bu Kos says he didn’t train wrestling for that fight, Boogie. So the fuck what? That just goes to show how retarded Kos gameplanning is compared to GSP. But more on that later.

Next: He’s a better striker.

Kos has better power in his right hand. But that’s all he has. He wings his overhand right with desperation, and for a fighter as quick as GSP, that is never going to land, as seen in their first fight.

In contrast, GSP is an elite striker with all limbs. Their first fight showed this. GSP landed jabs, superman punches, followed by low kicks. The man is the best at varying his attacks. Outside of the Serra hail-Mary punch, he has never been outstruck. So, hooray for Kos’ puncher’s chance. In the meantime, GSP will be scoring repeatedly with kicks, feints, punches, combinations. He keeps people guessing. Whereas, we know what Kos will do. Load up on the right hand, and try for takedowns. That’s it.

The intangibles.

GSP is a true martial artist and student of the game. He has continually sought out the best training partners in the world. He has gone to Renzo Gracie’s in New York to advance his BJJ. He goes to Greg Jackson’s to advance his complete game and strategy. He has gone to Brazil to train with the best BJJ players. He has gone to train with Freddie Roach to tighten up his boxing. This man has become an unrelenting MMA machine since his loss to Serra. I truly believe that no one else in the sport has gone to such lengths to excel as has GSP. And the man puts it all together. The reason he is able to outstrike strikers and outwrestle wrestlers, is that his opponents have no idea what is coming. His gameplan against Penn was brilliant.

In contrast, Kos has shown himself to be arrogant, stubborn, and foolhardy. In their first fight, Kos boasted about how there was no way GSP would outwrestle him, and how he spent 85% of his training practising striking. What happened? Kos was outwrestled.

Did he learn his lesson? No. When he fought Thiago Alves (admittedly on short notice), the word was again that he barely trained wrestling, his gameplan was to strike, and he got owned on the feet, and couldn’t take Thiago down. These are not the signs of a tactical or strategic genius here, folks. Yes, since then, he has smartened up a bit, outwrestling Anthony Johnson and Paul Daley. But is that enough? I have my doubts.

Then there is the Ultimate fighter performance. Kos got outclassed in every way. Coaching is not fighting, but I think it is an indicator of their performances and attitudes.

Also, GSP improves as time goes on. In their first fight, the first round was close. Two judges gave it to Kos, one to GSP. In the latter two rounds, Georges ran away with the fight. That’s part of a trend. In the first Penn fight, Penn won the first round, and Georges dug deep to win the latter two. In rematches: Lost to Hughes the first time, destroyed him the second two times. Lost to Serra the first time, destroyed him the second time. Barely beat Penn the first time, destroyed him the second time. Pretty solid win against Kos the first time......do you sense a pattern here?

Kos can win. But he won’t. Put me on suicide alert if the impossible happen as of 12:30 am on December 12.

Rest of the card’s analysis to follow:

Boogie

Unfortunately, the rest of the card sucks. McCorkle vs. Struve as the co-main? Really? Really?

Ah well.

Sean “I’m big on the internet” McCorkle (10-0) vs. Stefan Struve (20-4)

Experience and style says Struve. Don’t really care tho.

Jim Miller (18-2) vs. Charles Oliveira (14-0)

Not a bad fight. Not really excited about either. I think Miller’s wrestling takes this.

Joe Stevenson (31-11) vs. Mac Danzig (19-8-1)

Stevenson over the underperforming Danzig.

Thiago Alves (17-7) vs. John Howard (14-4)

I know I’ve seen Howard fight. But I can’t remember a damn thing about him. Therefore: Alves
by KO.

Prelims:

Dustin Hazelett (12-6) vs. Mark Bocek (8-3)

Ouch. Reason vs. patriotism. I vote patriotism. Bocek by decision.

Rafael Natal (12-3) vs. Jesse Bongfeldt (21-7)

Who versus who? Coin toss says Bongfeldt.

Matt Riddle (5-1) vs. Sean Pierson (10-4)

Who versus...oh, I made that joke already? Shit. Pierson. Gawd this card sucks lower down.

Dan Miller (12-4) vs. Joe Doerksen (46-13)

Patriotism again. Doerkson via decision.

Ricardo Almeida (12-4) vs. T.J. Grant (16-4)

Almeida.

John Makdessi (7-0) vs. Pat Audinwood (9-1-1)

Seriously, UFC, seriously? It’s a good thing you’ve already got 250 bucks out of me for GSP, because otherwise, I’d be shitting all over these matchups. Umm, Makdessi.

In conclusion: Awesome main event. Kinda meh main card, forgettable prelims. From a business perspective, this will truly test GSP's drawing power. But what do I care? I'll be there screaming my head off. :D

Howard is gonna knock Alves the fuck out...

And trust me....the whole city of Fresno is rooting against Kos. No one here can stand him.

Boogie

yacobod said:
goddamn
sleeping
pill

I see, like many fickle MMA fans, that your memory is only capable of recalling a fighter's last fight.

Tell me, did you fall asleep when GSP stopped Penn?

Did you fall asleep when GSP kicked the everloving shit out of Jon Fitch?

Did you fall asleep when GSP destroyed Alves despite pulling his groin 3/5 the way through the fight? Google Avles' postfight pics.

Did you fall asleep when GSP tossed around Hughes and made him tap verbally?

Did you fall asleep when GSP stopped Serra after two rounds?

Seriously, yacobod. I expect better from you. You've been watching the sport for a long while.

That's like saying Fedor is boring after he was unable to finished Nog twice, or Crocop.

edit: d'oh. That was supposed to be an edit, not a double post.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
yacobod said:
goddamn
sleeping
pill
LOL. I don't often agree with you, but in this, we are in agreement. When Boogie said if you don't like GSP, close the browser, I ain't gonna lie, I thought about it. I'll watch this card in spite of GSP because I do care for some of the other fighters like Hazelett, Alves, and Joe Daddy is OK. Also, on the off chance Kos is able to pull the Serra, the Sherdog implosion would be worth the risk of watching another 25 min blanket party.

I don't think Koscheck knows what he's getting into going into the Bell Centre. Yes, he fought there before but he cut his promo AFTER beating Daley. Montrealers have been waiting since then for his ass to come back.

Matt Serra was done at the UFC 83 weigh-ins. He knew he was going to get booed, but he didn't expect it to be that bad. I think the 20,000 + (I'm including boogie, that lucky bastard) will make him wish he was fighting a male nurse.

Boogie

Eggo said:
LOL. I don't often agree with you, but in this, we are in agreement. When Boogie said if you don't like GSP, close the browser, I ain't gonna lie, I thought about it. I'll watch this card in spite of GSP because I do care for some of the other fighters like Hazelett, Alves, and Joe Daddy is OK. Also, on the off chance Kos is able to pull the Serra, the Sherdog implosion would be worth the risk of watching another 25 min blanket party.

Another poor MMA memory. Georges had a boring fight in Hardy. That's it. One fight is not a trend. And even that fight was more exciting than the majority of Machida's decision wins.

GSP/Alves - exciting
GSP/Fitch - exciting
GSP/Penn II - exciting
GSP/Hughes III - exciting
GSP/Serra II - exciting

I don't hide my bias, I am the biggest GSP mark in the world. But if you're going to shit on him, try to construct a rational argument. One fight does not a boring fighter make.

Boogie

The Internet said:
I don't think Koscheck knows what he's getting into going into the Bell Centre. Yes, he fought there before but he cut his promo AFTER beating Daley. Montrealers have been waiting since then for his ass to come back.

Matt Serra was done at the UFC 83 weigh-ins. He knew he was going to get booed, but he didn't expect it to be that bad. I think the 20,000 + (I'm including boogie, that lucky bastard) will make him wish he was fighting a male nurse.

Oh yeah. The crowd experience alone is going to be worth the price of admission. I'm expecting to receive some permanent hearing damage after the 11th. :D

edit: d'oh, forgot to put in the OP that GSP has not lost a single round in three and a half years, and six and a half fights, since Kos took the first round on two of the three scorecards in their first fight. That's 25 straight rounds won, folks.

yacobod

Banned
gsp used to be the most exciting and dynamic guy in the ufc, his fights with trigg, sherk, hughes 2/3, penn 1, and fitch were all great fights and performances, but he's fought way too conservatively since getting knocked out by serra. he's a great fighter and obviously the best guy at 170 lbs, but i don't care for his new style. he needs to move up to 185 for me to get excited again.

Boogie

In April, Kos cursed the Pittsbrugh Penguins by declaring they would beat the Montreal Canadiens.

In December, Kos will have cursed himself by declaring he would beat GSP.

Salazar

After watching those vids, I have come to the decision - having not watched much MMA at all - that B.J. Penn is an insufferable douche.

Boogie

yacobod said:
gsp used to be the most exciting and dynamic guy in the ufc, his fights with trigg, sherk, hughes 2/3, penn 1, and fitch were all great fights and performances, but he's fought way too conservatively since getting knocked out by serra. he's a great fighter and obviously the best guy at 170 lbs, but i don't care for his new style. he needs to move up to 185 for me to get excited again.

GSP/Hughes III was after the Serra loss.

GSP/Penn II was FAAAR more exciting and dynamic for GSP than was Penn I, and came after the Serra loss.

GSP/Fitch was after the Serra loss.

Seriously, dude. Do you even read what the fuck you write? :lol

Like I said. Horrible selective memory. :lol 3 of the performances you cite were "great fights and performances" and they all came after the Serra loss, where you say he has since "fought way too conservatively." Try to reconcile those thoughts, please. :lol

Since I have watched him, GSP has had, in my opinion, TWO "boring" fights. The Hardy fight (which I still enjoyed), and GSP/Penn I. That's two fights out of 22, and I have watched every one since his UFC debut, and clips of those before. But yeah, that makes him a boring fighter.

Boogie

Salazar said:
After watching those vids, I have come to the decision - having not watched much MMA at all - that B.J. Penn is an insufferable douche.

Welcome to the fold. :rock

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
yacobod said:

Agreed. Post-Serra KO, GSP has only been entertaining in one fight - the rematch with Serra. After that, he's been content to control his opponent for 25 mins and grind out decision wins with the opponent on their back. I used to give Kos, Rashad, and Fitch the same treatment. Kos and Rashad have become more exciting fighters, while Fitch is the poster child for everything I hate about the sport.

To his credit, GSP tried to finish Hardy with the Kimura, but outside of that attempt, I don't think he's come close to finishing someone since the rematch with Serra.

Eggo said:
Agreed. Post-Serra KO, GSP has only been entertaining in one fight - the rematch with Serra. After that, he's been content to control his opponent for 25 mins and grind out decision wins with the opponent on their back. I used to give Kos, Rashad, and Fitch the same treatment. Kos and Rashad have become more exciting fighters, while Fitch is the poster child for everything I hate about the sport.

To his credit, GSP tried to finish Hardy with the Kimura, but outside of that attempt, I don't think he's come close to finishing someone since the rematch with Serra.
Selective memory at its best! He tried ripping Hardy's ARM off too but the guy is flexible beyond what a normal person should be.

Boogie

Eggo said:
Agreed. Post-Serra KO, GSP has only been entertaining in one fight - the rematch with Serra.

Did you watch GSP/Fitch?

Did you watch GSP/Hughes III?

Did you watch GSP/Penn II?

Since the Serra rematch, GSP finished Penn. He has finished three of his past six fights. Facts, people. C'mon.

Salazar

CaptYamato said:
Selective memory at its best! He tried ripping Hardy's ARM off too but the guy is flexible beyond what a normal person should be.

But what's his record against chimps ?

yacobod

Banned
hey i didn't like the greg jackson text book performances in the penn 2, alves, and hardy fights. as far as the fitch performance goes, gsp was able to do whatever he wanted to do against the clear number 2 welterweight in the world, so ya that's an impressive performance, but he was able to do so because he did not have to respect fitch's stand up at all. if fitch had a modicum of standup or any power in his hands, that fight probably would have sucked too. that and i think fitch might be the terminator, guy took a wicked beat down.

penn 2 was nowhere as exciting as penn 1. bj got tooled, but watching a 25 lb heavier guy lay on top of the smaller guy for 20 minutes wasn't that great unless you really hate penn. that fight was anticlimactic, but i guess most are after closely contested first fights.

yacobod

Banned
CaptYamato said:

ya lets applaud him for going for 2 submissions in a fight where he had top control for 24 out of the 25 minutes (he probably had top position for all but 30 seconds of that fight). and carlos condit just ko'd hardy, so ya. hardy probably shouldnt have even been fighting for the title.

Boogie

yacobod said:
hey i didn't like the greg jackson text book performances in the penn 2, alves, and hardy fights. as far as the fitch performance goes, gsp was able to do whatever he wanted to do against the clear number 2 welterweight in the world, so ya that's an impressive performance, but he was able to do so because he did not have to respect fitch's stand up at all. if fitch had a modicum of standup or any power in his hands, that fight probably would have sucked too. that and i think fitch might be the terminator, guy took a wicked beat down.

penn 2 was nowhere as exciting as penn 1. bj got tooled, but watching a 25 lb heavier guy lay on top of the smaller guy for 20 minutes wasn't that great unless you really hate penn. that fight was anticlimactic, but i guess most are after closely contested first fights.

yacobod makes stupid, internally inconsistent statement.

Boogie points out internal inconsistencies, makes yacobod look silly.

yacobod continues on, undeterred in campaign to look silly out of irrational GSP hatred. Tries in vain to explain away his previous points.

Really, "lay on top of the smaller guy for 20 minutes wasn't that great unless you really hate penn."

GSP "laid" on Penn more in the first fight in the latter two rounds, than in the second. In the second, he was delivering pretty devastating G'n'P from round 2 onward. When did you last watch these fights, dude?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Eggo said:

This is beyond stupid. If you're being seious and not trying to get a rise of Boogie then you need your head examined. Or perhaps find a different sport.

DKehoe

Boogie said:
edit: d'oh, forgot to put in the OP that GSP has not lost a single round in three and a half years, and six and a half fights, since Kos took the first round on two of the three scorecards in their first fight. That's 25 straight rounds won, folks.
Didn't Fitch win a round against GSP? The second I think it was? GSP ahd such an amazing performance in that fight. The way he dominated a guy who has shown he can pretty much shut down anyone else in the WW division.

Boogie

DKehoe said:
Didn't Fitch win a round against GSP? The second I think it was? GSP ahd such an amazing performance in that fight. The way he dominated a guy who has shown he can pretty much shut down anyone else in the WW division.

Nope. Judges' scores for the Fitch fight were 50–44, 50–43, 50–44.

Fitch may have "earned" a second shot at GSP given his wins since then, but he certainly hasn't shown improvement enough that he has a chance to win. Now, me, I don't mind that, because I'm all for GSP putting another beating on him. So if Fitch gets a title shot or not, I'm fine with it either way.

But my ideal if GSP dispatches Kos is GSP/Shields, then GSP/Silva.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
The 11th is my birthday.

I'll have to wait until the morning of the 12th to watch UFC 124 due to time zones n' shit though.

Considering that the K-1 World Grand Prix 2010 Final is on the 11th as well, the organisers of martial arts shows seem to have my entertainment needs in mind. Shit's gonna be great.

yacobod

Banned
Boogie said:
yacobod makes stupid, internally inconsistent statement.

Boogie points out internal inconsistencies, makes yacobod look silly.

yacobod continues on, undeterred in campaign to look silly out of irrational GSP hatred. Tries in vain to explain away his previous points.

i don't have an irrational hatred of GSP, the only fighter that i outright hate in the ufc is lyoto machida, and thats more because of his annoying fans but i digress, i acknowledge that he's probably p4p 1 or 2 and debatably the most dominant guy in the ufc (him or anderson trading spaces depending on performances), but i've found his last few performances fucking boring. if you enjoyed his past few wrestling clinics more power to you, but you didn't really invalidate anything that i've said.

if he comes out and finishes kos in the fight i will tip my cap to him, but i'm willing to wager it will be a 5 round decision if gsp wins.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Sinatar said:
This is beyond stupid. If you're being seious and not trying to get a rise of Boogie then you need your head examined. Or perhaps find a different sport.
What is wrong with what I said? I'm serious. The last time GSP was interesting was the second Serra fight, where he finished him with knees. That was 2.5 years ago. He's had a lot of boring wrestling matches since then.

He 'finished' BJ since then, but Greasegate was a fight I like to forget because it was unsatisfying. I lost a lot of respect for BJ after that fight. Also, I think it's indisputable that everyone hates to watch Fitch fight. Why do you think we're not seeing Fitch/GSP 2? The man doesn't lose, but who wants to pay to see Jon Fitch wrestle for 15/25 mins?

Boogie

yacobod said:
but i've found his last few performances fucking boring. if you enjoyed his past few wrestling clinics more power to you, but you didn't really invalidate anything that i've said.

bu-bu-bu you said yourself that Hughes III, and Fitch were great performances and fights....

Boogie

Eggo said:
What is wrong with what I said? I'm serious. The last time GSP was interesting was the second Serra fight, where he finished him with knees. That was 2.5 years ago. He's had a lot of boring wrestling matches since then.

So you didn't find GSP/Hughes III, GSP/Penn II, GSP/Fitch, or GSP/Alves interesting? ....okay.

Also, I think it's indisputable that everyone hates to watch Fitch fight. Why do you think we're not seeing Fitch/GSP 2? The man doesn't lose, but who wants to pay to see Jon Fitch wrestle for 15/25 mins?

I hate watching Fitch fight, except when he's getting the shit kicked out of him by GSP. As I said, I'm easy when it comes to Fitch. He certainly deserves another shitkicking by GSP, but if not, then there are certainly other fighters who can get a shitkicking by Georges.

yacobod

Banned
Sinatar said:

you don't have to enjoy a fighter just because he's the champ. the guy isn't above criticism. not everyone shares the same opinion as you do, deal with it.

mma is closely tied to entertainment value. yes it's a sport, but the way dana white and the ufc runs things its pretty close to sport entertainment. ufc cards are booked like wwe cards for the most part. getting a title shot in the ufc is largely dependent on your ability to draw fans, put on exciting fights, and to sell or tell a compelling story. the latest examples of this are the brock lesnar hype machine, ufc avoiding giving machida a title shot until they no longer had a choice, and passing over pray maynard for frankie edgar in the first bj penn fight even though pray maynard had a dominant win over edgar but had a boring fight with nate diaz in his most recent fight.

another example: is Floyd Mayweather a great boxer? yes. can his fights or style be boring from time to time? fuck ya. that's why pacman is probably more appealing to the casual fan with his attacking style.

and so what if hughes 3 and fitch were exciting fights. they were exciting because gsp did not have to respect either fighters stand up. either way i acknowledge that those fights were fun to watch. that doesn't make up for penn 2, alves, or hardy fights. the point you are missing is that he did change his fighting style after the serra loss. he went from being fuck awesome to being the evolutionary jon fitch in his fighting style.

Asbel

Boogie said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUTqsICSVl4

Ladies and gentlemen, the time has come.

The return of the man who personifies professionalism, dedication, and excellence in the sport of Mixed Martial Arts.

The return of the man who women want to be with, and men want to be.

The return of the man who has rhythm that no one can ‘andle.

The return....of GSP.

That’s right. On Saturday, December 11, the one and only Georges “Rush” St. Pierre returns to the Bell Centre in his native city of Montreal, to mark one more notch on his journey to MMA legend-hood.

ufc-124-poster.jpg

Next Saturday night, we will bear witness to yet another archetypal matchup, pitting the perennial good-guy St. Pierre against the man who has embraced the role of being a total douchewad in Josh Koscheck.

And this will also mark my first live UFC event. I saw a WEC event live in Vegas, but this is the first time that I will be a part of the screaming mass of humanity calling out for Josh Koscheck’s blood. I can’t wait.

WHY YOU SHOULD WATCH: Umm, haven’t you been reading? I said, GSP. If that doesn’t get you pumped, close your browser now. We don’t want you here.

UFC WELTERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP BOUT:

Georges “Rush” St. Pierre (20-2) vs. Josh “Give me back my plunger” Koscheck (15-4)

I will start with the easiest part of this analysis. And that is Kos’ ways to win:

1) If he has trained the absolute mother****ing sh*t out of his wrestling and intends to be able to put GSP on his back. Obviously, in the past, Kos has arrogantly neglected his wrestling, and it has cost him against both GSP and Thiago Alves. The fact is, Kos has potentially most skilled wrestling pedigree for GSP to deal with, and he has been training with wrestling God Ben Askren for this fight. If Koscheck has somehow found it within himself since their last meeting to be able to outwrestle GSP, then he could win this fight.

2) Find a home for his right hand. The one true definitive advantage Kos has in this fight over GSP is in punching power. Kos has discovered that he can put people to sleep with his right hand, moreso that GSP can. He isn’t as good as GSP on his feet, so this point is really just an addition to the Matt Serra Corollary to the “Anything Can Happen” rule in MMA. Still, can’t discount it out of hand in a five round fight.

Now, to dig a little deeper into why GSP will win:

He’s a better wrestler.

Forget point 1) for Kos. Forget everything you will ever hear about “wrestling credentials.” This is MMA. If I could count on one hand the number of times GSP has outwrestled a highly-credentialed wrestle----oh wait, I will.
Frank Trigg.-- US Olympic wrestling Trials finalist
Sean Sherk – didn’t go to college, but at the time, considered an amazing MMA wrestler.
Matt Hughes – Two time NCAA all-American
Kos – NCAA wrestling champion
BJ Penn – people rave about how Randy Couture had difficulty taking him down in training.
Jon Fitch – Captain of Purdue wrestling team.

In short: It doesn’t matter what titles you have won. In MMA, GSP is the best wrestler. Period. In their first match, GSP outwrestled Kos. They each scored a takedown in the first round, and in the rest of the fight, GSP scored a couple of takedowns, and defended amazingly at Kos’ only serious attempt at taking him down.

Bu-bu-bu Kos says he didn’t train wrestling for that fight, Boogie. So the fuck what? That just goes to show how retarded Kos gameplanning is compared to GSP. But more on that later.

Next: He’s a better striker.

Kos has better power in his right hand. But that’s all he has. He wings his overhand right with desperation, and for a fighter as quick as GSP, that is never going to land, as seen in their first fight.

In contrast, GSP is an elite striker with all limbs. Their first fight showed this. GSP landed jabs, superman punches, followed by low kicks. The man is the best at varying his attacks. Outside of the Serra hail-Mary punch, he has never been outstruck. So, hooray for Kos’ puncher’s chance. In the meantime, GSP will be scoring repeatedly with kicks, feints, punches, combinations. He keeps people guessing. Whereas, we know what Kos will do. Load up on the right hand, and try for takedowns. That’s it.

The intangibles.

GSP is a true martial artist and student of the game. He has continually sought out the best training partners in the world. He has gone to Renzo Gracie’s in New York to advance his BJJ. He goes to Greg Jackson’s to advance his complete game and strategy. He has gone to Brazil to train with the best BJJ players. He has gone to train with Freddie Roach to tighten up his boxing. This man has become an unrelenting MMA machine since his loss to Serra. I truly believe that no one else in the sport has gone to such lengths to excel as has GSP. And the man puts it all together. The reason he is able to outstrike strikers and outwrestle wrestlers, is that his opponents have no idea what is coming. His gameplan against Penn was brilliant.

In contrast, Kos has shown himself to be arrogant, stubborn, and foolhardy. In their first fight, Kos boasted about how there was no way GSP would outwrestle him, and how he spent 85% of his training practising striking. What happened? Kos was outwrestled.

Did he learn his lesson? No. When he fought Thiago Alves (admittedly on short notice), the word was again that he barely trained wrestling, his gameplan was to strike, and he got owned on the feet, and couldn’t take Thiago down. These are not the signs of a tactical or strategic genius here, folks. Yes, since then, he has smartened up a bit, outwrestling Anthony Johnson and Paul Daley. But is that enough? I have my doubts.

Then there is the Ultimate fighter performance. Kos got outclassed in every way. Coaching is not fighting, but I think it is an indicator of their performances and attitudes.

Also, GSP improves as time goes on. In their first fight, the first round was close. Two judges gave it to Kos, one to GSP. In the latter two rounds, Georges ran away with the fight. That’s part of a trend. In the first Penn fight, Penn won the first round, and Georges dug deep to win the latter two. In rematches: Lost to Hughes the first time, destroyed him the second two times. Lost to Serra the first time, destroyed him the second time. Barely beat Penn the first time, destroyed him the second time. Pretty solid win against Kos the first time......do you sense a pattern here?

Kos can win. But he won’t. Put me on suicide alert if the impossible happen as of 12:30 am on December 12.

Rest of the card’s analysis to follow:
Well put. I haven't read an analysis this thought out in a while.

Also, there being more GSP hate than kos hate makes no sense in this thread.

Carton

I completely agree with Boogie.

I find GSP absolutely incredible to watch; he has beautiful technique in all facets of the game, athletic and explosive with great endurance, impeccable timing, and is a complete gentelman after the fight.

It'll be interesting to see what difference Kos's greater focus on wrestling makes in this rematch.

Congrats on the upcoming loss of your UFC cherry, Boogie. You'll never forget your first UFC.

...unless your first UFC is in Vegas, and you and your three buddies (and various "new friends" I'm sure) somehow accumulate a bar bill at an afterparty titty bar where over $1100 was spend on shots alone. (Just sayin'.)

Seeing GSP in Montreal should be lots of fun.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Boogie said:
So you didn't find GSP/Hughes III, GSP/Penn II, GSP/Fitch, or GSP/Alves interesting? ....okay.

I hate watching Fitch fight, except when he's getting the shit kicked out of him by GSP. As I said, I'm easy when it comes to Fitch. He certainly deserves another shitkicking by GSP, but if not, then there are certainly other fighters who can get a shitkicking by Georges.
Hughes 3 - exciting, but this was before the second Serra fight. After that is when GSP became boring.

Penn 2 - forgettable, for reasons I already mentioned.

Fitch - this fight was not fun to watch for me. Fitch was never close to winning the fight, and GSP was never close to finishing him. By the third round, we knew how it would end, but just had to sit through another 15 mins of futility.

Alves - this fight was frustrating to me because GSP had a clear game plan of taking down Alves and playing it safe. This is what Dana is talking about. There's a difference between fighting to finish and fighting to win the safe decision. You can argue injury had something to do with this, but you can't argue he wasn't playing it safe in this one.

Hardy - another instance of GSP clearly outclassing his opponent, but then being content to ride out the safe decision win.

Boogie

yacobod said:
you don't have to enjoy a fighter just because he's the champ. the guy isn't above criticism. not everyone shares the same opinion as you do, deal with it.

mma is closely tied to entertainment value. yes it's a sport, but the way dana white and the ufc runs things its pretty close to sport entertainment. ufc cards are booked like wwe cards for the most part. getting a title shot in the ufc is largely dependent on your ability to draw fans, put on exciting fights, and to sell or tell a compelling story. the latest examples of this are the brock lesnar hype machine, ufc avoiding giving machida a title shot until they no longer had a choice, and passing over pray maynard for frankie edgar in the first bj penn fight even though pray maynard had a dominant win over edgar but had a boring fight with nate diaz in his most recent fight.

Yes.

So what does that have to do with GSP?

Considering how, y'know, he's the UFC's second biggest draw after Lesnar....

and so what if hughes 3 and fitch were exciting fights. they were exciting because gsp did not have to respect either fighters stand up. either way i acknowledge that those fights were fun to watch. that doesn't make up for penn 2, alves, or hardy fights. the point you are missing is that he did change his fighting style after the serra loss. he went from being fuck awesome to being the evolutionary jon fitch in his fighting style.

Those are just, like, your opinions, man...

opinions not back up by facts, imo

mf.luder

Holy shit, I'm going to Montreal on Thursday for the Rammstein concert and I am so tempted to stay over for a few nights for this!

Boogie

Eggo said:
Hughes 3 - exciting, but this was before the second Serra fight. After that is when GSP became boring.

What does the second Serra fight have to do with anything? I thought GSP became "boring" after the FIRST Serra fight. Fitch was after the second Serra fight. So was Penn II.

Penn 2 - forgettable, for reasons I already mentioned.

It was "forgettable" for reasons left unexplained by you. You called it "unsatisfying".. Why someone would call that fight "Unsatisfying" compared with the first fight is a mystery to me....oh wait....unless you're a Penn mark.

Fitch - this fight was not fun to watch for me. Fitch was never close to winning the fight, and GSP was never close to finishing him. By the third round, we knew how it would end, but just had to sit through another 15 mins of futility.

Well. That just makes you a stupid fan then. That fight was great, imo. Plenty of action, and GSP came close to finishing, if Fitch wasn't a Godamned Terminator.

Alves - this fight was frustrating to me because GSP had a clear game plan of taking down Alves and playing it safe. This is what Dana is talking about. There's a difference between fighting to finish and fighting to win the safe decision.

Yeah, that's why GSP repeatedly tried to take Alves' back, and ended up on the bottom for his efforts. Again: Facts, motherfucker.

You can argue injury had something to do with this, but you can't argue he wasn't playing it safe in this one.

GSP: I hurt my groin!
Jackson: I don't care! Hit him with it!

Hardy - another instance of GSP clearly outclassing his opponent, but then being content to ride out the safe decision win.

Took his back, tried for an armbar, ended up on his back for his ambition.

Facts, people. Look into them.

yacobod

Banned
Boogie said:
Those are just, like, your opinions, man...

w/e you say dude, but coming from a guy who created the thread of motorboating gsp's ass i can live with that :D

but i do agree that the card overall is lackluster outside the me, ufc really needs that injection of wec fighters right about now to spruce up these ppvs.

Boogie

yacobod said:
w/e you say dude, but coming from a guy who created the thread of motorboating gsp's ass i can live with that :D

Clearly you did not watch this season of TUF. Kos is the one who wants to motorboat GSP's ass, not I.....

but i do agree that the card overall is lackluster outside the me, ufc really needs that injection of wec fighters right about now to spruce up these ppvs.

and...will that be your opinion after UFC 124 grosses >800k PPV buys?

But don't worry, I'll remember this:

his fights with t hughes 3, and fitch were all great fights and performances

.... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom