• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian Films

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swag

I watched Memoirs of a Geisha last night, was amazing.

Trying to get into some more Asian films of this type, romance preferred. But I'm not sure where to start, I saw Memoirs of a teenage Amnesiac came up when I was surfing IMDB but I can't find it on netflix or in any theaters.

I've seen Memoirs and Old Boy so my experience is limited to those.

hamchan

Not romance but Infernal Affairs is pretty awesome. I honestly get enough sad romances watching Chinese music videos.

Bit-Bit

I didn't think Memoirs was an Asian film.

If you really like Old Boy you should really check out Thirst. It's a romance movie...but with vampires.

Yesterday I saw The Good The Bad The Wierd and I really liked it.

Max

I am not Max
A Bittersweet Life (action, crime)
Gozu (yakuza, awesome)
Crying Out Love, In the Center of the World (romance, really sad)
In the Mood for Love (romance)
Thirst (romance, supernatural)
Violent Cop (crime)
Kikujiro (charming)

Swag

Solo said:
Odd thread, since Geisha is completely Hollywood....

I dunno, I assumed it was asian because all the actors were asian and it was set in an asian setting.

Don't judge my ignorance :lol

Sebulon3k said:
I dunno, I assumed it was asian because all the actors were asian and it was set in an asian setting.

I loved the soundtrack, but I hate when films are in English when it should be the language the setting takes place in. In this case, Japanese with English subtitles would have been better. Main character was also Chinese, and not Japanese as were some other characters.

Vard

Thirst - just watch it
Nobody Knows - if you want to cry
Memories of Murder - this one stays with you
In the Mood for Love - just watch it
Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge - a romance flick from India with some top tunes

This thread really is so broad! There are a ton of great movies from Asia worth checking out. If you're looking for a particular type of movie it would help.

Also, paging speedpop.

Edit- oh you wanted Romance movies! Then these still apply!

Thirst
Air Doll
In the Mood for Love
DDLJ

Imm0rt4l

Kung Fu Hustle.

Sebulon3k said:

But it was in English...

Bit-Bit

Vard said:
Thirst - just watch it
Nobody Knows - if you want to cry
Memories of Murder - this one stays with you
In the Mood for Love - just watch it
Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge - a romance flick from India with some top tines

This thread really is so broad! There are a ton of great movies from Asia worth checking out. If you're looking for a particular type of movie it would help.

Also, paging speedpop.
This list is great. I saw Nobody Knows a few months ago. It was so sad....

S1lent

I watched Lust, Caution fairly recently--a really flawed movie but still quite enjoyable. Not a traditional romance though.

GhaleonQ

But it's no-*reads topic* Yep.

http://www.theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_all1000films.htm
http://www.theyshootpictures.com/21stcentury_allfilms.htm

This is limited to the (limited) ignorance of film critics and of movies that have been released in English-speaking countries, but that, Asian specialty websites, and Wikipedia's Cinema Of *country* are great 1st-5th steps.

I'd include Akira Kurosawa and Masahiro Shinoda among my 30 favorite directors ever. To Live, by Kurosawa, may be my favorite movie of all-time.

Speculator

BioWare Austin
TheKiller.jpg

The-Good-the-Bad-the-Weird.jpg

(Infernal Affairs...2nd one is pretty good too. 3rd one is ok. Theres actually a released version of the trilogy where its all edited chronologically)
infernalaffairs.jpg

red_cliff_xlg.jpg

jsa.jpg

My Sassy Girl

my_sassy_girl.jpg

Exiled: Film reminds me of what John Woo should have been if he stayed in Hong Kong
cover_exiled_bd.jpg

bittersweet_life.jpg

taegukgi1.jpg

chaser.jpg

Oldboy
1.jpg

98e012_1.jpg

SPL-+Sha+Po+Lang.jpg

chungking-express-cover.jpg

I'll think of more later

Vard

hamchan said:
I honestly found Red Cliff boring and bloated. How was that edited version for Westerners?
I never saw it- don't really have an interest to. For me John Woo = Hard Boiled. I was blown away when I watched that movie. A must watch for fans of action movies like Die Hard.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon has some romantic elements in it. Was the first foreign film I saw as a tween and probably rekindled the demand for Asian movies in the West.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
3-Iron (has a romance element)
Tokyo sonata
Cure
Happy together (also has a romance element!)
Oldboy (i guess you could also say this has a romance element)

Edit

Tony takitani

Sealda

Banned
Whatever you do, do not watch this movie

Socrates in Love, also known as Crying Out Love, In the Center of the World (世界の中心で、愛をさけぶ Sekai no Chūshin de, Ai o Sakebu?)
3730poster_image_984_3_1.jpg

You will cry floods

crying-out-love-in-the-center-of-the-world.jpg

crygal15.jpg

tumblr_l2minlZEAu1qa6moso1_400.jpg

Fucking saddest movie i ever watched

1226342891.jpg

makes me wanna cry again:(

Vard

^ I really want to see this movie. Was intrigued the first time it was mentioned but the stills sealed the deal!

Bebpo

Banned
Sealda said:
Whatever you do, do not watch this movie

Socrates in Love, also known as Crying Out Love, In the Center of the World (世界の中心で、愛をさけぶ Sekai no Chūshin de, Ai o Sakebu?)
3730poster_image_984_3_1.jpg

You will cry floods

crying-out-love-in-the-center-of-the-world.jpg

crygal15.jpg

tumblr_l2minlZEAu1qa6moso1_400.jpg

Fucking saddest movie i ever watched

1226342891.jpg

makes me wanna cry again:(

This was one of the first Japanese movies I bought on a whim knowing nothing about it when I was living in Japan. I liked the commercial running on tv and the title of the movie sounded cool.

Did not end well :lol

Speculator

BioWare Austin
Timan said:
Any good scifi ones?

ah actually not too many scifi films made in asia that i'd say are worthwhile. In terms of mindless "blockbuster"....theres The Returner, but it aint my cup of tea.

Most arn't really "hardcore" scifi. Only one i can really think of at the moment:

hostpostbig.jpg

(romance)
2046_poster.jpg

Battle_royale.jpg

and a number of animated films (Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Steamboy, Metropolis, Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, etc)

Adam J.

Takeshi Kitano movies are great.

Watch this movie a couple days ago that was called RoboGeisha. It's one of the wackiest movies I've ever seen (in a good way).

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Romance huh? Off the top of my head:

South Korea - Oasis (2002)
A love story that breaks all boundaries - a mentally handicapped man with a criminal record falls in love with a woman who has cerebral palsy. One of my favourites.

Japan - Socrates in Love (2004)
aka Crying Out Love, in the Center of the World. Everyone gets moved by this one somehow, can't really explain it outside of try and find it and enjoy.

Japan - Shall We Dance? (1996)
This one is pretty easy to find, and disregard the Hollywood remake of it. Two of Japan's best male actors are in this film.

Thailand - Last Life in the Universe (2003)
A strange yet beautiful tale at times. Introduced Pen-Ek to the world of cinema, and allowed Thai movies to be exposed.

Japan - All Around Us (2008)
Most realistic potrayal of a typical married couple and the events that surround their work life and relationship. This one slipped under the radar by a lot of people and it's hard to find, but definitely worth it.

South Korea - Bungee Jumping of their Own (2001)
My first Korean movie and one that almost brought me to tears at times.

And then there is Wong Kar Wai's complete output of romance films up to 2046:
Days of Being Wild (1990)
Chungking Express (1994)
Fallen Angels (1995)
Happy Together (1997)
In the Mood for Love (2000)
2046 (2004)

My favourites are Fallen Angels, Happy Together, and In the Mood for Love.

I'm sure I'm missing one or three other suggestions but those should do.

genjiZERO

I'm not sure Memoirs of a Geisha is an Asian film . . . but anyway,

Teach Me English Please is a hilarious Korean romantic comedy (I know it's not romance proper, but I'd just thought I'd plug it).

Ratrat

just saw this
AA9er.jpg

turned it off when
dick drill
but it was great when I finished it after putting my cold chicken back in the fridge.

Also the Host and Hausu are amazing.

Igo

Good stuff in here.

I'll re-mention Fallen Angels because it's probably my 2nd favorite film of all time. Such a cool movie. I struggle to name a film with as much style.

3-Iron is an incredible film too. Barely any dialogue and yet it held my attention throughout. That was a completely new experience for me. Whenever I think of Asian cinema this always comes to mind.

I've seen so many great films over the years but I always forget to rate them on imdb and now I don't even remember half of what i've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom