• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian Films

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Not enough love for Love Exposure. My favorite film of the past 3-4 years and a masterpiece by Sion Sono.

77pDw.jpg

TBdis.jpg

Pj5fA.jpg

Wanace

Korea:
Memories of Murder
A Tale of Two Sisters

Japan:
Departures

China:
Anything directed by Zhang Yimou (Under the Hawthorne Tree, Happy Times, Not One Less, Raise the Red Lantern, Hero, House of Flying Daggers)
Farewell my Concubine
Anything by Wong Kar Wai (as already mentioned). My favorites are Days of Being Wild, Happy Together, and Chungking Express.

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (there's kind of a romance in it) is good if you liked Oldboy, same director and part of the Vengeance trilogy. Not a fan of Lady Vengeance myself, but others like it.

Asian cinemea is my favourite and I'm glad to see most of my favourites were already listed but here's another one I really like. :D

SpringSummerFall.jpg

recently watched "chocolate" and it has the most amazing fights I saw on a movie, truly the best stunt/camera work I've seen.

I also remember jackie chan's new police story, its very good.

Speculator said:
IMG]http://www.dreadcentral.com/img/news/aug06/hostpostbig.jpg[/IMG]

i loved that movie.

also discovered recently Painted Skin

painted-skin.jpg

Romance/Demon Hunting :D

and also enjoyed The Banquet, which wikipedia tells me was released in the US as Legend of the Black Scorpion. *loosely* based on Hamlet.

poster_TheBanquet.jpg

Speculator

BioWare Austin
tree fiddy said:

Nice list, theres a number of those I've never seen..I'm mostly surprised I havnt gotten a chance to watch Election yet..and I'm a huge Johnnie To fan.

OO yeah, I enjoyed the Banquet quite alot as well.

Korean Movies

My long list from the Will Smith Old Boy Thread

A Dirty Carnival
A Tale of Two Sisters
A Bittersweet Life
Bestseller (Uhm Jung Hwa!!)
Black House
Blood Ties
Chaser (As others have said, it's REALLY good the little girl (Kim Yu Jung)'s crying really got me T_T)
Chingu
City of Violence
Diary of June
Fate
Gangster High (Despite the name it's actually really good.)
Handphone
Hwang Jin i (People say it was overrated, this one isn't an action flick but a look back on one of the most famous kisaeng)
I Saw The Devil
Insadong Scandal
Memories of Murder
Missing (Clearly life isn't about happy endings, all I'm saying about this film.)
No Mercy for the Rude (More of a dark thriller comedy than the rest which are straight up Thriller / Action)
Our Town
Parallel Life
Princess Aurora (Tried a little too hard to be like Lady Vengeance, it's a good movie if you don't compare it to LV.)
Public Enemy
Public Enemy 2
Public Enemy Returns
Puzzle (Pretty good thriller with a nice twist.)
Rainbow Eyes
The Romance (Kinda of lovely dovey, but it's central to the plot.)
Running Wild
Secret
Secret Reunion
Seven Days (One of my favorite, it stars the lovely Kim Yun Jin from JJ Abram's Lost)
Shadowless Sword (More a Korean take on Wirefu movie, not really a thriller at all, but a good watch.)
Some (Movie has major plot holes, I personally didn't like it, but many people loved it. See for yourself.)
Soo
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance
Tazza
The Good, The Bad and The Weird
Tidal Wave (One of those nature disaster flicks, didn't like it but it's one of the highest grossing movies in Korea, I only saw it because Uhm Jung Hwa was in it.)
Thirst
Truck (Really underrated thriller)
Voice of A Murderer

And a new movie to add to the list

That Man / A Man / Mr / Ahjussi (Best selling movie in Korea 2010)

1f595b6699shi_11.jpg.jpg

Awesome movie

Trailer below for anyone curious
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVl1bwWCXTU

One of my personal favorites that I mentioned above is

Hwang jin i

hwangjini.jpg

It was really underrated, this is coming from someone who DOES NOT like those sad romance / tragic / love story type movies. I really loved this one.

Vard

Tiduz said:
any comedies? ive seen a ton so im kinda hoping i missed some.
Dasepo Naughty Girls
dasepo1fx3_2.jpg

(the character on the right isn't a main character by the way. Kim Ok-bin <3)

Grimmy

Banned
My god, this thread is full of fail. The OP asks for friggin' ROMANCE and you guys recommend INFERNAL AFFAIRS and AUDITION. *shakes head*

For some good romance, here are a few:

LOVE LETTER (Shunji Iwaii, Japan)
- the quintessential romance that you must see. Seminal film that everyone tried to ape afterwards
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0UA1yrUTfs

IL MARE (Lee Hyun-seung, South Korea)
- remade into the Lake House in English, but the US version sucks. See this instead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt3iK9XwKiE&feature=related

CHUNGKING EXPRESS (Wong Kar Wai, Hong Kong)
- very quirky but romantic film about missed opportunities between two couples.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkyRcGGeq8E&feature=related

IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE (Wong Kar Wai, Hong Kong)
- one of the best films of the last decade. A must-see. Achingly beautiful and romantic...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHs0p7QY6i4&feature=related

CHRISTMAS IN AUGUST (Hur Jin-Ho, South Korea)
- Hur Jin-ho's best film - beautiful and eloquent.

SHALL WE DANCE? (Masuyuki Suo, Japan)
- remade into a terrible Hollywood film with J-Lo. The original is a classic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQWEhPYwuY4

THE ROAD HOME (Zhang Yimou, China)
- a nostalgic pastoral tale about how the narrator's father and mother got together. Breakthrough role for Zhang Ziyi.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48ivIU6Szok

micster

Protocol Snow said:
Not enough love for Love Exposure. My favorite film of the past 3-4 years and a masterpiece by Sion Sono.

Love Exposure is the worst suggestion ive ever taken from gaf. I watched it on a looong train ride and it was ridiculous. Way too long, not as funny as gaf said it supposedly was and just . . . crap. I got the film, I understood it, but it was just overblown wankery.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Sealda said:
Whatever you do, do not watch this movie

Socrates in Love, also known as Crying Out Love, In the Center of the World (&#19990;&#30028;&#12398;&#20013;&#24515;&#12391;&#12289;&#24859;&#12434;&#12373;&#12369;&#12406; Sekai no Ch&#363;shin de, Ai o Sakebu?)
I remember watching that...sad movie indeed. :(
A lot of great Asian movies out there. I remember I went on an asian movie rampage for a couple of years and pretty much saw everything good that came out of Korea, Japan and China with a little Thailand thrown in the mix. Some of their dramas are the best I've seen.

Also the first movie that genuinely made me feel uneasy a bit cause it was so raw was Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance which I think is a masterpiece. So many amazing ones but don't remember all their names.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
micster said:
Love Exposure is the worst suggestion ive ever taken from gaf. I watched it on a looong train ride and it was ridiculous. Way too long, not as funny as gaf said it supposedly was and just . . . crap. I got the film, I understood it, but it was just overblown wankery.

Good for you? I really enjoyed the film and it was one of the best suggestions gaf gave me.

Angelus Errare said:
It's pretty awesome, I swear Korea makes the best vengeance flicks....makes me proud to be 1/4 <single tear rolls down eye>

My friend says we are witnessing a Korean Filmmaking renaissance. Which is true if you look at the quality of movies that have been released in the last ten years.

Grimmy said:
Then fucking recommend something that the OP asked for.

He said preferred but I am sure he doesn't mind the other suggestions.

CaptYamato said:
My friend says we are witnessing a Korean Filmmaking renaissance. Which is true if you look at the quality of movies that have been released in the last ten years.

Indeed, best thing is we as film watchers benefit. I wish Japanese film industry would follow suit, I can't stomach Japanese films. I try but man when you watch a Korean filck then watch a Japanese film it's like......so much different.

Salazar

Grimmy said:
How in the world is A BATTLE OF WITS a romance?!?!?!?

The lady soldier spends the entire film hot for brooding Andy Lau and he is demonstrably crazy about her by the end.

Grimmy

Banned
Salazar said:
The lady soldier spends the entire film hot for brooding Andy Lau and he is demonstrably crazy about her by the end.

No, unless you don't know what a romance movie is. The main relationship is the "Battle of Wits" between Andy Lau's and Anh Sung-kee's. HENCE THE TITLE. Fan Bingbing is merely footnote (which is good, considering her atrocious acting in it). It's a friggin' war film for crying out loud.

Salazar

Grimmy said:
It's a friggin' war film for crying out loud.

I did not assert otherwise. It has romance in it.

And this thread would have been insipid had Gaffers not so liberally interpreted or ignored the OP's desires. So be cool.

BLACK RAIN

The Ridley Scott film.

Yeah...I know it's an American production, and I'm probably pissing people off in this thread, but it is about as awesome as an 80's cop action film can get.

Michael Douglas, Andy Garcia, Japan, Kate Capshaw, and a killer final performance by Yûsaku Matsuda.

Underrated in every sense of the word.

Grimmy

Banned
Salazar said:
I did not assert otherwise. It has romance in it.

And this thread would have been insipid had Gaffers not so liberally interpreted or ignored the OP's desires. So be cool.

No it wouldn't be insipid at all. People would have recommended good Asian romance films, and some would be inspired to go check them out, instead of the usual genre stuff that everyone has seen and doesn't need to be reiterated every time a thread about Asian films is made.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
OP asked for romance films, I complied and made a short and quick list of romantic dramas. Thread title says Asian Films, so people are going to post a compilation of them all - even the ones that are mentioned over and over again. Can't really help that so don't let it bother you. At least someone in some location will see/read something that looks interesting and go check it out.

Who cares? Romance is getting recommended along with other genres in the end it's fine. Besides the thread TITLE says Asian Films, no genre specified. It's like a contract, no one reads fine print.

JSA is an amazing Korean film. Very well made. Lots of tension throughout, mixed with some real heart-aching emotional moments towards the end.

speedpop said:
OP asked for romance films, I complied and made a short and quick list of romantic dramas. Thread title says Asian Films, so people are going to post a compilation of them all - even the ones that are mentioned over and over again. Can't really help that so don't let it bother you. At least someone in some location will see/read something that looks interesting and go check it out.

Yep.

And you list was great BTW

Nose Master

I was disappointed with Oldboy
ending / movie in general was hyped up to holy hell, and it wasn't that great imo
. Is Lady Vengeance any better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom