• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Commando: Great Movie, or Greatest Movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
commando-poster.jpg

To me, no film exemplifies what is both awesome and terrible about 80s action films better than Commando. It is a film so ludicrously over the top, it circles back around to top itself again.

No film in Schwarzenegger's filmography has a more obscene body count. No film has more bad one liners in it. No other action film is as endlessly quotable.

This was Schwarzenegger in the middle of his prime period. He had done the Conan films and Terminator and had become a household name. Now was his time to dominate the world with his awesomeness.

Hate on Jeph Loeb all you want, GAF. We have him to partially thank for the glory that is Commando.

commando-icecream.jpg

Awww! Ain't he cute, bonding with his daughter?

1209034501_3.jpg

He is even a lumberjack!
bennett2.jpg

But some lame ass bad guys think they can come in and threaten John Matrix.
commandowrong.gif

He eventually relents, and goes about his mission.
commando07.jpg

But not before making a friend. "You are a funny guy, Sully. That is why I am going to kill you last."
commando06.jpg

And not before he threatens Bennett with his infamous catchphrase.

Unfortunately for the guy that is supposed to be watching him...
1192026_o.gif

"Don't disturb my friend. He is dead tired."

Eventually, Matrix catches up with Sulley with the help of Rae Dawn Chong
commando-rentacops.jpg

What kind of mall security thinks they can stop the Austrian Oak?

But Sulley has other things to worry about.
commando11.jpg

Like gravity.

Well, shit. That didn't work. He had to let Sulley go. Onto the next man.
4978-3735.gif

He even eats Green Berets for breakfast. And he is very hungry.

Matrix gets the information he needs. Now he just needs to suit up.
bVJBJ.gif

No mere mercenary army is a match for a pissed off Arnold coming to rescue his little girl.
commando.jpg

Who needs to reload when taking on an entire army?

commando-1.gif

Out of ammo? Improvise!

bennett_from_commando_goes_ape_shit.jpg

Bennett AKA Freddie Mercury in chain mail

vlcsnap-379118.png

"Come on Bennett, throw away the chicken shit gun, you don't just want to pull the trigger, you want to put the knife in me, and look me in the eye, and see what's going on in there when you turn it, that's what you want to do, right?"
commando.jpg

"I can kill you John!"
vlcsnap-379118.png

"Come on, let the girl go, just between you and me, don't deprive yourself of some pleasure, come on Bennett, let's party!"
commando-bennett.jpg

"I can beat you, I don't need the girl hahah, I DON'T NEED THE GIRL! . I don't need the gun John. I can beat you. I DON'T NEED NO GUN! AND I'LL KILL YOU NOW!"

Of course, it doesn't go so well for Bennett. He was dumb enough to take on 80's Schwarzenegger.
1563575_o.gif

Let off some steam, Bennett!

Is there a possibility that this movie will ever be topped for its awesome ridiculousness?
219263-commandoend_super.jpg

No chance!

Commando: The Musical

Love 80s Arnold? Here is another thread about the awsomeness of Conan The Barbarian

Great discussion on EW.com about this masterpiece as well

abuC

"Remember, Sully, when I promised to kill you last"
"Yes, that's right Matrix you did!"
"I lied"

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

The EW.com articles about this and Conan got me thinking about the movies.

Tomorrow, there will be a Predator thread. :D

Darkshier said:
Watching this movie will put hair on your chest.
Not as much hair as Predator will add.

OP is right Commando is awesome. The 1980s action film in it's purest form.

The soundtrack is fucking awesome too. I LOVE driving on the highway blasting that.

I wish I had a larger version of this gif.
2wfr2hy.gif

I also used to own this.
Commando_18_Inch_MIB_Red_C-8.5_1.jpg

Fusebox

Banned
Great, but aged so badly. I bought the blu ray the other day, the start of the movie where they disguise themselves as garbos and cruise up to the victim is awesome, until they undo all their terrific subterfuge by opening up with unsilenced uzis and spraying bullets all over the cul-de-sac. :lol

Grisby

So good. If a friend ever gets pissed at me I always say in my best Arnold, "Why don't you blow off some steam?"

Jon

I approve of this thread. Everything down to the steel drums in the theme is amazing. Such an awesome movie.

This is undoubtedly the greatest movie of all time. It has everything. Just a classic. To suggest anything could be better is heresey. There should be a law.

Clemsontigers35 said:
This is undoubtedly the greatest movie of all time. It has everything. Just a classic. To suggest anything could be better is heresey. There should be a law.
Just wait until my next thread. I will prove your post wrong. :D

Clemsontigers35 said:
Predator is probably better.

Anth0ny

Fuck this movie is awesome. No other movie can top the sheer amount of amazing one liners :lol

there should be a thread for every Arnold movie. I can't get enough

Anth0ny said:
Fuck this movie is awesome. No other movie can top the sheer amount of amazing one liners :lol

there should be a thread for every Arnold movie. I can't get enough
Perhaps only the best of the Arnold movies. I don't think Raw Deal, Red Heat, and Twins need their own threads. I think the only three Arnold films left that should really have their own threads are Terminator, Terminator 2, and True Lies. Last Action Hero maybe, more for it being an overlooked gem.

The James Cameron/Arnold team ups should only be left to Sculli though. It is only proper.

Ixzion

The thing I always liked about the movie was that like 2 seconds after the commander left in the choppa, all hell broke loose.

Like, pacing? EXTREME.

Arnold had the mind games in this movie:

"Bennett stop scruing garound ind let dah gurl go--eet's me yoo wand...I've onlee won awm...yoo keen beet me...g'mon Bennet...pud dawai dit chickenshit gun...Yoo don wan ti pull dee triggah...Yoo wan do put a naif en me...looc me en di ay, see vant's goin on en dere wen yoo tur nit...dat's vat yoo wan to doo, right? G'mon...leet dah gurl go..eet's be'tween yoo en me...don denai yooself sum ples-jah...G'mon Bennett...let's paa-di!"

Yeah, Commando is tough to beat for 80s action pureness.

I remember being so hyped to watch it with my friend in middle school that we spent all weekend watching Arnold Schwarzenegger and Rae Dawn Chong guest VJ-ing MTV (back when they did play nearly 100% music vids). We just got hyped for any clip they were going to show while the stars talked and joked about the production and whatever music videos they were presenting.

So many basically untouchable 80s action flicks, and Commando is probably the leanest, most insanely over-the-top of the big ones. I remember hearing somewhere that the Commando 2 script ended up as Die Hard 1 when Arnold turned down the offer to do the sequel.

squicken

I'm particularly fond of his assault on the compound, and getting trapped in the toolshed to recover from being shot (a minor inconvenience). He then uses axes and saw blades to destroy baddies.

It really had everything. I used to joke with my brother that all local sporting goods stores carried military grade weaponry in a backroom, but he couldn't go in unitl he was older.

I think this and First Blood Part 2 are co-Greatest 80s action movies.

PhoncipleBone said:
Perhaps only the best of the Arnold movies. I don't think Raw Deal, Red Heat, and Twins need their own threads. I think the only three Arnold films left that should really have their own threads are Terminator, Terminator 2, and True Lies. Last Action Hero maybe, more for it being an overlooked gem.

The James Cameron/Arnold team ups should only be left to Sculli though. It is only proper.

That he goes undercover as an Italian mafioso in Raw Deal is pretty fucking incredible.

Why make two threads the same day? Space 'em out bro

Sean

Banned
One of my favorite movies of all-time.

I loved that throughout pretty much the entire movie, he was never in any real danger. Normally these action flicks try to make it seem like insurmountable odds for the hero, but this was the complete opposite. It was just John Matrix doing completely badass things and killing every single bad guy in his path.

When he was like "All fucking hell is about to break loose" and then suits up with the awesome soundtrack, just completely fucking badass.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Oh the 80's action movies and their 'real men' protagonists ...
NO ONE CAN BEAT ARNIE! NO ONE.
Commando and Conan are my favorite Arnie movies.

If i had to choose a current action star i would say : The Rock and Jason Statham.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Cheesy 80s trash , i hate light-hearted movies like this in general.

But i respect people enjoy this kinda thing , so i ain't hating!

Love it. Will re-watch it as as soon as I can, thanks for reminding me :D
Now that I think about it, the "saving mah daughter!" storyline is the best match for straight forward, non-stop action movies; exhibit a: Taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom