• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Sigh* I miss adventure gaming, GAF...

Tr4nce

So, I was just watching the Police Quest 1 (EGA version) walkthrough on Youtube, and I got a little melancholic. I miss the days of adventure gaming. Be it typing in the words, or point 'n click games. Ofcourse there are a few games out there today which are good (The Whispered World for example), but there's not so many of them as it used to be.

I remember playing Police Quest 1 for the first time. I was so excited. Being a Dutch guy it was very hard for me to play it at that age (7 or so), but I had so much fun discovering the English language and finding out how everything worked. At that time I also developed a craving, an addiction for adventure gaming, although I was very young. King's Quest, Police Quest, Monkey Island, Indiana Jones, Simon the Sorcerer, Sam and Max, Full Throttle, Harvester, Day of the Tentacle, Maniac Mansion, Flight of the Amazon Queen, Toon Struck, Freddy Pharkas, Legend of Kyrandia, Broken Sword, Beneath a Steel Sky, Leusire Suit Larry, and so many many more. I played other games as well, but adventure games was my favorite genre. The puzzles, the environments, the comedy, the anger and irritation when stuck in a puzzle. But I liked every single bit of it. The feeling when you start up an adventure game that you've never played before: all new puzzles, new characters and new places to go to, sometimes it felt very overwhelming. Every now and then I replay a Monkey Island game or a Broken Sword game, but it will never be the same as the first time you play those games.

So thanks LucasArts, Sierra and every other company which has given me a joyful gaming youth. I will never forget!

Clipper

I grew up on the Sierra and LucasArts adventure games too. It's still my favourite genre by far, and I too rue their death, but I do understand that they aren't for everyone.

At least Telltale is appeasing my adventure games itch right now. I have bought and enjoyed every single one of their games.

I've also been waiting patiently for Secret Project Fedora from Big Finish Games. The Tex Murphy series is my most-loved adventure series and the fact that we will eventually be getting a new one is very comforting.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Tr4nce said:
Ofcourse there are a few games out there today which are good (The Whispered World for example), but there's not so many of them as it used to be.
What are you talking about? There's a ton of new adventure games out now. The genre has been going through a pretty remarkable revival in the past few years.

Rolf NB

Telltale games has you covered.
The first Tales Of Monkey Island season is excellent, and should feel like comfort food to you.
Sam&Max Season 3 came out this year, and is pretty rad.
There's also Strongbad: Cool Game For Attractive People, though I have not played that yet myself.

Tr4nce said:
So thanks LucasArts, Sierra and every other company which has given me a joyful gaming youth. I will never forget!
This one. I actually still have an old Windows 95 PC set up so that I can play the classics. Mostly for my missus rather than me though as she's still playing through a bunch I didn't feel like replaying.

Only real problem is that old games look like crap upscaled with an LCD... and I don't have any CRT monitors any more. :(

nilbog21

Banned
Jive Turkey said:
What are you talking about? There's a ton of new adventure games out now. The genre has been going through a pretty remarkable revival in the past few years.

what r the best ones?

mrkgoo

I have on my iPad:

Broken Sword,
Monkey Island 1
Monkey Island 2
Sam and Max (penal something)
Puzzle agent

I have never played any of these games.

I'm not new to adventure games, but I do look forward to getting around to playing these.

iOS is also slowly getting more traction with the adventure genre. Hector: Badge of Carnage is a great little adventure game, and games like Broken Sword play excellently on it as well.

szaromir

Banned
There's nothing to miss, plenty of good adventure games coming out. My favorites from last decade:
Runaway series (3 games)
A Vampyre Story
Machinarium
The Moment of Silence
Overclocked: History of Violence
Talltale games
Plenty of good stuff.

GhaleonQ

Europe produces more than you likely know. Telltale's nothing if not average, but they easily match some of the games that you named. Japan's turning out more than it ever has. This is easily the most populated the genre's been in a decade.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I love Sierra and Lucasarts.

Unfortunately, the Sierra we know of is long gone. Although I'm still glad Lucasarts is still there (well... More of Telltale, I like Telltale) and I'm kinda glad the Monkey Island series (sans 3 and 4) are available digitally (iOS, PSN, XBLA, etc.).

Smash88

Banned
I hate point and click adventure games, and just adventure games in general.

But... I spent months and MONTHS on Full Throttle, jesus christ I loved that game. I played through it 3 times if I recall, the only game that I have replayed more than once.

THE ONLY GAME TO GET ME TO REPLAY IT EVER! I am shitting bricks as much as you guys are.

1-Full_Throttle_Cover.jpg

R.I.P. my sweet prince.

And when this happened: Saddest Day of My Life!

Xater

Jive Turkey said:

Absolutely. There lots of good stuff to play.

And you need to play The Dream Machine - http://www.thedreammachine.se/

Reminiscent of an old danish game called Blackout, which was made on the same principle (physical stuff set up like a stage, hand animated, absolutely fuckballs crazy)

First part of The Dream Machine is free to every, and is played on their website (just press the play tab). The rest of the game is paid for.

skc3a6rmbillede-2010-12-24-kl-124248.png

Everything in the game is hand made, and later stopmotion animated:

dsc_2432.jpeg

Nemesis_

Grim Fandango was so amazing, anyone know if there's a way to play it on a souped up Windows 7 PC? I think there's issues and I doubt there's a version for purchase anywhere that's NOT a CD-ROM pack.

I am interested in Grey Matter but I've heard so much hype I am scared it won't live up to it. >_>

nny

You don't need to miss it, there have been a lot of good adventure games coming out in recent years. Actually, it seems like interest in the genre is growing back. I couldn't be happier about it!

Anyway, start with Machinarium.

I agree with the opions about the state of the genre, there´s plenty of good adventure games to play. Machinarium, Gray Matter, everything Telltale does, the Ace Attourney series, etc.

But still, I do miss adventure games like Police Quest. Games that focus on a bit more down to earth scenarios, where the end of the world isn´t knocking on the door. Heavy Rain came close, but it to depressing and there was to little actual gameplay for me to enjoy it.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i just wish this is what they'd do with a lot of movie and licensed properties. e.g.:
  • FUTURAMA adventure game
    THE WIRE adventure game
    BREAKING BAD adventure game
    STAR TREK 2009 adventure game

and so on

beelzebozo said:
i just wish this is what they'd do with a lot of movie and licensed properties. e.g.:
    THE WIRE adventure game

and so on

Totally agree. So many movie and tv IP's would work so amazingly well as either a Heavy Rain'ish game (modern adventure game in my world) and the classical adventure game structure.

Minsc

Gold Member
Nemesis556 said:
Grim Fandango was so amazing, anyone know if there's a way to play it on a souped up Windows 7 PC? I think there's issues and I doubt there's a version for purchase anywhere that's NOT a CD-ROM pack.

I am interested in Grey Matter but I've heard so much hype I am scared it won't live up to it. >_>

No issues, there's even a community made installer that converts a CD-copy to a CD-less game perfectly. I picked up a CD copy a while ago for cheap, I think like $10 or less, don't think you can purchase it digitally.

Elixist

I enjoy these, but whenever I get stuck on a puzzle that just doesnt seem logical I say fuck it and move on.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Futurama would be a perfect fit for Telltale's episodic structure.

CiSTM

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
Just don't pay attention to their reviews. They've all gone senile at this point (though I do enjoy the website) and are incredibly inconsistent, even when writers are the same.
Yeah, reviews are usually really bad these days. Especially when it comes to really anticipated or popular title the reviews are even more brutal. Still it's a good place for keeping yourself up to date and the forums are pretty good.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Operating on the assumption that Steam is the only place you're willing to find adventure games (The Adventure Company, which acts a retail publisher for a lot of adventure games, operates their own store here, but again I'll exclude that)...

Here are some great 2010-or-so adventure games. I'm played some of these to completion, some of them a little bit, and some not at all--if you can't tell which, I've done a good job:

ss_b27b47bb43ebd1ab3b26e3d74cf2db088e928a6d.600x338.jpg

Amnesia: The Dark Descent - this is a combat-free physics-puzzle based first person exploration adventure. Some people would class it a little more as survival horror because there are segments where you need to run for your life or hide, but it's classically still an adventure. You're an Amnesiac exploring a beautiful old dilapidated mansion, slowly remembering how you came to be there and what dark things that have been done in this place. Atmospheric, tense, low-medium amount of physics based puzzles, 3d, no real inventory. (AdventureGamers review -- yes, I know, I know, don't pay attention to their reviews)

ss_8cbb83e1465c6ee59c7a61214fab4d96aae08537.600x338.jpg
ss_71697698b99440576491d00e3ac27c3b87a35219.600x338.jpg

Blue Toad Murder Files - this is a little closer to a straight puzzle game thrown together with a linear whodunnit mystery adventure element. Go from location to location, watch dialogue exchanges between hilarious John Cleese-inspired British goons, solve relevant puzzles. Professor Layton is the closest console equivalent. Fixed perspective, high amount of logic puzzles, no inventory. (AG review)

ss_88b45de41bc854f18f21265dc35879eb97026ba7.600x338.jpg
ss_17a7d4eec5882e9f01662f7154e5741643340bab.600x338.jpg

Lost Horizon - this is a classical point and click style adventure game loosely based on the theme but not the story of the Capra flick or the original novel (adventure story following great ancient lost cities, with a dash of Indiana Jones Nazi-era shenanigans). Point and click with no camera control, inventory, medium amount of classic inventory puzzles. (AG review)

ss_ffc6759595985d014512983c91a88ead826f93e6.600x338.jpg

Windosill - this is a screen escape adventure game. Each screen has one or more objects that can be triggered to move or act in a certain way and you must combine them or trigger them in the right order or with the right timing to unlock the door to move to the next screen. This is a common flash genre, but this has been packaged for download. Great, light theme and presentation; you're a choo choo train!!!! Single screen perspective, each screen has click-interaction puzzles. (Not covered by AG, that's reasonable, this genre is on the borderline of adventure and puzzle)

ss_415c0a88609d5c317990f8984742e07c46a4727f.600x338.jpg

RealMYST - Myst, of course, is one of the most acclaimed but also divisive adventure games of all time. In Myst, the puzzle is mostly figuring out what the puzzle is. You're a solitary man who fell through a book into this beautiful but dead world. How do you escape? What happened to the world you are in? How do you operate all of the strange and elaborate devices around you? RealMYST is a full 3d remake that ditches the fixed pre-rendered images of the original for a 3d world. Puzzles are generally single-screen click interaction puzzles with some minor inventory, but again the puzzle design tends to tilt towards "What do I have to do?" rather than "How do I do it?" (which tends to be pretty easy). Be prepared to take notes. Atmospheric, 3d, click-interaction puzzles, no real inventory. (RealMYST was not reviewed by AG, but the original Myst was)

ss_7f758ef591020c6b4f5514a28d7e77479fbeb964.600x338.jpg
ss_378574511fd757bc816ce5704580de9313ce0cb1.600x338.jpg

Machinarium - this is a classical point and click adventure game with excellent and strong theming. It borrows heavily from silent film (there is no dialog at all), dystopic rust-punk future scrapheap architecture, and while I'm not an expert it feels very eastern Europe, post-Soviet to me. Puzzles are largely click-interaction or inventory puzzles. This is absolutely the closest recommendation you're going to get to the old Sierra or LucasArts games. You're a robot in a junk heap. Reassemble yourself, explore a robot city, save your friend, and punish the jerk-bots who put you in the heap. Gorgeous, hand-drawn 2d art, atmospheric, 2d point-and-click, click-interaction and inventory puzzles. (AG review)

ss_d5fd712f86f9a42a3537eb74f8c873dd6d016f28.600x338.jpg

Flotilla - Flotilla is one part space combat game, but one part interactive text adventure. The premise is that you're a terminally ill space captain and you decide to go on a grand (non-linear) adventure for the end of your life. You go to certain planets and trigger events, which are presented as a sort of text based "choose your own adventure" style. Your choices might benefit you or backfire. Occasional Homeworld-style space combat. When you die, your "life" chronicle is presented to you so you have the opportunity to relive your choices. The game keeps a running tally of your number of careers, and even a successful career will only last an hour although failed careers might be over within 5 minutes. Very cool. Text adventure + space combat, 3d, cool plasma/jarring colour scheme with lots of bright orange, no puzzles. (Not covered, which is lamentable because I do think that the text adventure elements make a strong case for the game being an adventure although most of your TIME playing it may be occupied with space combat)

ss_796f571e23159539724805090d84e44b8927ed5c.600x338.jpg
ss_cc9c065e8be5b1b979439415c1b188557f593ec6.600x338.jpg

Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper - this is pretty typical of a mid-low budget current adventure game. The theme is somewhat dark as Sherlock Holmes explores seedy London looking for Jack the Ripper. You'll encounter prostitutes, see what I assume are actual real-life pictures of people seriously afflicted by syphilis (this part was really gross) and eventually crack the case. There's a surprising amount of inspiration drawn from the real crimes, evidence, and police handling of the case. It is presented as a 3d point and click adventure with elements of click-interaction and inventory puzzles. If I have one complaint, it's that the characteristic intelligent / socratic method of speaking that Sherlock Holmes uses is a bit long-winded and undermines some of the more tense scenes in the game. Fun, though. 3d point and click, inventory and click-interaction puzzles, no combat. (AG review)

These aren't my favourite adventure games or anything, just a wide representative sample for people to check out. It'd be great if someone else was willing to make the effort to do mini-descriptions like this for another 4 or 5 great games that are widely available.

LiK

OP, there are many new adventure games being made these days, check them out. Most are made by Telltale and Dreamcatcher these days and you'll find plenty from indie devs on Steam. I no longer mourn the genre.

Shiggy

My impression is that these games are still kind of successful in Germany.

I'm still kind of sad that LucasArts cancelled Sam&Max back then, it looked much better than Telltale's crappy graphics.

4.jpg

Nonetheless, I'm happy that Revolution Software is well up with Broken Sword and the Cing games were also quite nice.

Grayman

Psychotext said:
This one. I actually still have an old Windows 95 PC set up so that I can play the classics. Mostly for my missus rather than me though as she's still playing through a bunch I didn't feel like replaying.

Only real problem is that old games look like crap upscaled with an LCD... and I don't have any CRT monitors any more. :(
have you tried scumvm for the lucas arts games? that should handle the scaling well. I am not positive because i only recently lost my crt.

Kabouter

Stump's post is excellent and I would recommend Lost Horizon and Blue Toad Murder Files in particular.

Additionally I would recommend these few games, there are many more of course, but I'm sure others will mention them.
the-moment-of-silence.4089607.jpg

The Moment of Silence
My favourite adventure game of all-time, this game puts you in the shoes of an advertising agency employee in the near future who sees his neighbour dragged away by a SWAT team. The game goes from there and deals with themes like freedom of information and privacy. Puzzles are generally item puzzles, and not excessively far fetched.

syberia-library.jpg

Syberia and Syberia II
Benoît Sokal's masterpieces, in these games you play as attorney Kate Walker, who starts by attempting to find the last heir of the Voralberg automaton factory in order to close a sale of the factory to a multinational. The art in this game is particularly stunning, the puzzles are well designed, the story is engaging and the characters are excellent. The first game also has my favourite track in any game ever made.

sin-is-three.jpg

Sinking Island
Another game from the mind of Benoît Sokal, this one a fairly traditional detective story at its core. You are a detective who is sent to a newly built hotel on an island in the Pacific to investigate the murder of its owner. Slowly uncovering all that is going on on the island is fun, even if there is a bit too much backtracking every now and then. Furthermore the art and music are outstanding just like in Syberia.

mata_hari.jpeg

Mata Hari
A fairly recent and low key title, you play the famous spy as she travels around Europe just before the start of the first World War. The game is not particularly challenging, but is very well designed and the atmosphere is spot on.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
King Quest V is the first adventure game i played seriously and through the end when i was a kid. I feel so nostalgic looking at these pics.

kq5-001.png

screen01.gif

Kings%20Quest%205%20-%20Absence%20Makes%20the%20Heart%20go%20Yonder_2.jpg

kingq5_2.gif

kingq5_5.gif

watkinzez

beelzebozo said:
    THE WIRE adventure game

and so on

My one gaming wish is that LucasArts had gotten the rights to Tintin during their heyday. The perfect storm that never happened.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
As some have noted, Adventure gaming is alive and well today. There are plenty of well produced, well written adventure titles on the market. As a fan of older Lucas Arts games, I feel that Telltale has done a remarkable job rekindling those types of experiences. Their initial games were a bit rough, but everything they've produced since Tales of Monkey Island has been golden.

I'm still kind of sad that LucasArts cancelled Sam&Max back then, it looked much better than Telltale's crappy graphics.
Really? I thought Season 3 of Sam and Max was great looking. A massive improvement on the first two seasons.

They updated the renderer to support many more advanced graphical features in addition to producing much more creative art assets and using more interesting camera angles.

szaromir

Banned
Syberia was such a turd. There were no real puzzles to speak of, only fetch quests (and walking is slooooow), dialogues are annoying and graphics sterile. I definitely discourage from playing that game, oneof tha most overrated out there.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i think you should play the two STAR TREK original series games, if you can get them running on your computer. in other words, you will never play them. join me in complaining until gog.com puts them up for download.

Tr4nce

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. But don't get me wrong: ofcourse there's still a ton of new adventure games coming out, but to me they don't have the feel of the old games. I mean, just look at a TellTale Monkey Island game for example. I'm sorry, but it doesn't interest me one single bit.

Blizzard

Banned
I have fond memories of finding Fate of Atlantis in a CDROM drive a relative got rid of (by giving it to me), even though I might find the graphics pretty pixellated now.

It's great that you're into adventure games, but your timing is unfortunate. The Steam Christmas sale and the Amazon digital Christmas sale had great deals on adventure games. I picked up the Sherlock Holmes pack, which at $13 for like 6 games is presumably decent. There were 4 LucasArts games for $5 which I already had, Amazon had Lost Horizon for $5, I picked up Aura 1 and 2 for cheap, etc. Good luck in your search!

Tr4nce said:
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. But don't get me wrong: ofcourse there's still a ton of new adventure games coming out, but to me they don't have the feel of the old games. I mean, just look at a TellTale Monkey Island game for example. I'm sorry, but it doesn't interest me one single bit.
Perhaps you should elaborate on exactly what "feel" you wish for.

szaromir

Banned
Tr4nce said:
:lol
I looked at it, played through it and enjoyed it immensely. My second favorite Monkey Island (after LeChuck's Revenge). You should have written in the first place that you want to troll new releases, no one would bother recommending stuff to you.

Fox318

Tr4nce said:
The only adventure games I grew up with were Humongous Entertainment games. I went back and played some of the Sierra and Lucasarts stuff and they feel very similar.

Top Bottom