• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DSi Common Key Leaked!

apparently, the key was known by a select few individuals since at least the summer of 2009, but was not public knowledge until now.

but wait, "how can you be sure it's been known that long?" is your next question, right?

well, someone registered the common key as a .com domain in september 2009.

from what i understand, the common key allows decrypting of data, but not encrypting so it's not that useful to end users.

Takao

Banned
Thank you OP, I now know what this means:

GTFO NAO, U CANNOT HAZ SITEZ.

DSI COMMON KEY HAS WAN USE. SIGNIN HOMEBREW 2 RUN ON DSI IZ NOT WAN OV THEM. NINTENDO DOESNT EPIC FAIL LIEK SONY IN DIS REGARD.

BTW, OH HAI THAR NINTENDO

wat.

what will this ultimately enable though? MP3 support? I mean aren't all versions of the DS basically cracked wide open already?

-KRS-

Fantastical said:
Nintendo better have the 3DS fucking locked down. I really don't believe those rumors of the 3DS already being hacked.

There were rumors that the 3DS is already cracked? Where?

Boney

Banned
Takao said:

DSI COMMON KEY HAS WAN USE. SIGNIN HOMEBREW 2 RUN ON DSI IZ NOT WAN OV THEM. NINTENDO DOESNT EPIC FAIL LIEK SONY IN DIS REGARD.

wat.
you said it bro

wat

trinest

Fantastical said:
Nintendo better have the 3DS fucking locked down. I really don't believe those rumors of the 3DS already being hacked.
God no- if they are going to have it region locked it better be as easy as all hell to walk in and rummage around in.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Fantastical said:
This is great news! I need a region free 3DS.

Takao

Banned
Veins said:
What are the rumors?

I believe some Chinese forums (if they weren't Chinese, I'm sorry Chinese forums, I'm just an ignorant foreigner) have said there are already flash cards in production based on the leaked units. Although, I don't believe those units have had their OSs flashed on them, so I'm not sure how effective they'll be.

Yay! Easy DSi-mode homebrew will be awesome!

The Genesis and SNES emulators on the DS kinda suck because any game bigger than 4 MB (DS's RAM size) won't load. Now, with 16 MB, things will load better.

Also, GBA emulation might be a possibility now, with the faster CPU.

Also,
:
lol at the domain name registration.

jett

D-Member
StuBurns said:
It's like waiting for a bus.

265485-inception_cotillard_dicaprio_super.png

"You're waiting for a bus...er...I mean train!"

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Drkirby said:
Am I reading the same leet speak everyone else is, it says you can't sign homebrew with it.
That's what I'm getting from it, but that last line makes it seem a little ambiguous for some reason.

Drkirby said:
Am I reading the same leet speak everyone else is, it says you can't sign homebrew with it.
Oh... Maybe I did jumped the gun a little. :(

However, with that key, it should be much easier to poke through DSi games and maybe the BIOS and find exploits in the system.

Takao said:

wat.

rofl, you're good, you

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
So what does decrypting do? Make items (eg music or textures) of a dumped game readable on PC? Or even actual game code?

Man, if
(when)
the 3DS is ever cracked, woe on Nintendo.

Somebody is going to find a way to jailbreak nearby systems using streetpass. And that's only if somebody doesn't find a way to brick them using that method first.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Teetris said:
So what does decrypting do? Make items (eg music or textures) of a dumped game readable on PC? Or even actual game code?
Yeah, that is what I am wondering, and am waiting for someone to clear up, what the one use is.

Assuming the key is used to decrypt games and/or firmware updates, then having the key means the following:
- You can see/extract all of the game code, music, assets, etc.
- It may be easier to find exploits.
- DSi games can be emulated.

However, without being able to re-encrypt anything, it's useless until somebody finds a way to run unsigned code.

Why would you do that? said:
Assuming the key is used to decrypt games and/or firmware updates, then having the key means the following:
- You can see/extract all of the game code, music, assets, etc.
- It may be easier to find exploits.
- DSi games can be emulated.

However, without being able to re-encrypt anything, it's useless until somebody finds a way to run unsigned code.
If they can decrypt DSI games, they can probably find some overflows, if they find some overflows, they can probably get into the OS. If they can get into the OS, then shit's going down.

Goon Boon

Banned
As long as the big three keep region locking, removing features the consoles came with, and selling overpriced accessories (no this isn't a kinect/move jab, I mean hard drives and memory sticks), I see the downsides as a small price to pay.

TheOGB

Banned
Boney said:
There's a face... the ninjas are on it.
Wait'll they find out they photoshopped the 3DS into a different picture

So does this mean we can finally rip sprites from DSiWare games? :D

Why would you do that? said:
Yay! Easy DSi-mode homebrew will be awesome!

The Genesis and SNES emulators on the DS kinda suck because any game bigger than 4 MB (DS's RAM size) won't load. Now, with 16 MB, things will load better.
That doesn't make sense - I think there were only two SNES games larger an 4MB (32 megs), on Genesis it's probably just as rare.

The key has actually been known for ages, but got never released actually. All you can do with it is to decrypt existing DSi stuff - nothing else. Yes, no custom channels, no DSi ware rips, no, no, no.

antonz

Mailenstein said:
The key has actually been known for ages, but got never released actually. All you can do with it is to decrypt existing DSi stuff - nothing else. Yes, no custom channels, no DSi ware rips, no, no, no.
ding ding. This key being known is nowhere near the disaster that sony faced with the ps3 key

Top Bottom