• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DSi Common Key Leaked!

Somnid

They are called public keys for a reason. You can't hide these things because they are used to verify signatures so some thorough poking around on the ROM will unearth it. It's somewhat disadvantageous, sure, but it doesn't mean much in the overall scheme of things because the expectation is that these do get out. The private key is the killer. While this could set in motion some reverse engineering it's not going to matter since 3DS is only 1 month away.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
So, wait, this means nothing?

jvalioli

These threads always suck because not everyone on GAF is a Comp Sci major and actually understands the public and private key system.

Chris R

jvalioli said:
These threads always suck because not everyone on GAF is a Comp Sci major and actually understands the public and private key system.
You don't have to be a comp sci major to understand public/private key encryption.

civilstrife said:
Man, if
(when)
the 3DS is ever cracked, woe on Nintendo.

Somebody is going to find a way to jailbreak nearby systems using streetpass. And that's only if somebody doesn't find a way to brick them using that method first.

Oh fuck

ZAK

BMF said:
If they can decrypt DSI games, they can probably find some overflows, if they find some overflows, they can probably get into the OS. If they can get into the OS, then shit's going down.
But I thought DSi memory was encrypted? So even if you overflow, you're still effectively writing random bytes?

antonz said:
ding ding. This key being known is nowhere near the disaster that sony faced with the ps3 key

the damage for DS and it's variants (not counting 3DS) had already been done. the difference is that with the PS3 key piracy became (basically) as simple as it is on DS.

MrBelmontvedere said:
the damage for DS and it's variants (not counting 3DS) had already been done. the difference is that with the PS3 key piracy became (basically) as simple as it is on DS.

This is the DSi, not the DS. DSi mode is still nowhere near as free as DS mode.

civilstrife said:
Man, if
(when)
the 3DS is ever cracked, woe on Nintendo.

Somebody is going to find a way to jailbreak nearby systems using streetpass. And that's only if somebody doesn't find a way to brick them using that method first.
This would be remarkably disastrous.

InsaneZero said:
This is the DSi, not the DS. DSi mode is still nowhere near as free as DS mode.

could have fooled me. DSi already had copies of games working and region locking defeated. not sure what additional freedom can be gained here.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This is great news for anyone who wants art assets, sprite rips, music rips, or to find disabled/hidden/debug features in games! :D

Rich!

I'm actually hoping the 3DS gets cracked. I'm hopefully going to the USA later this year, and I'd actually like to be able to buy games there that will work on my UK console.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
MrBelmontvedere said:
could have fooled me. DSi already had copies of games working and region locking defeated. not sure what additional freedom can be gained here.

Do you have a link for this? I swear I heard about some recent DSi breakthrough, but I'm unable to find it.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Dreamwriter said:
That doesn't make sense - I think there were only two SNES games larger an 4MB (32 megs), on Genesis it's probably just as rare.
The only Genesis game I know of that is larger than 4MB is Super Street Fighter 2.

ElFly

jvalioli said:

Neither is anyone at Sony!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
MrBelmontvedere said:

Well, the common key won't allow all this stuff, but there are still unrealized goals:

- Homebrew installed to the main menu
- Homebrew that makes use of the DSi's additional power
- Flashcard-free game management stuff (I'd much rather put my games on an SD card and launch from the main menu than put my games on a micro-SD, plug that into a flash card, and boot the game)

zigg

MrBelmontvedere said:

DSi-enhanced (i.e. only the DS-mode binary is "defeated"), DSi-exclusive, and DSiWare games are all still locked away. Of course, the latter isn't really something you could buy out-of-region in the first place, leaving one who's interested in foreign DSiWare with business problems as well as technical.

Tempy said:
Do you have a link for this? I swear I heard about some recent DSi breakthrough, but I'm unable to find it.

Might have been this? http://davejmurphy.com/dsi-mode-homebrew-anyone/

M3d10n

Stitch said:
i'll just leave this here
eLGDl.jpg
I hope this is fake. No, nothing to do with piracy, but the fact the both the upper and lower screen are stretched in DS mode, which will look hideous.

Dacvak said:
So, wait, this means nothing?

In terms of 3DS backups, no. To be honest it's been known underground for awhile now about DSi and DSiWare hacking and there are only a few select people who know what to do with it.

jvalioli said:
Is the dsi even using public/private encryption? I am used to standard rsa terms, so I'm not sure what they mean by common key. If this was just standard public private, shouldn't we be able to sign, or decrypt signatures from this?

I'm not sure, I know rsa really well, but don't understand the dsi's algorithm I guess.

zigg

synt4x said:
I believe the DSi uses RSA encryption as well. It has an RSA logo on the box if I'm not mistaken.

RSA is a company that does a lot more than just the RSA algorithm.

The RSA algorithm in itself is insufficent to secure a hardware device against tampering, in any event. You could sign everything in the world and never have your key mislaid but if the device can be convinced to ignore signatures (usually by way of some other bug), it'll do no good.

Top Bottom