• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gfk Spanish videogames sales results for 2010

CaVaYeRo

Same as last year, and with adese still giving limited data, Nintendo held a press conference to show Spanish nintendomination again. However, it's also useful for further study/discussion since there are plenty of multiplatform figures in there

Here's my little report in Spanish

But here you have some interesting charts to discuss:

mediaespanasigue_233900.jpg

(current gen consoles)

mediaespanasigue_233916.jpg

(2010 console games, single SKU, including special editions but not those bundled with hardware)

mediaespanasigue_233917.jpg

(2010 handheld games, single SKU, including special editions but not those bundled with hardware)

And some facts in English ;)

LTD:
- DS install base: 5,3 millions (Nintendo DS is the best-selling hardware system ever)
- Wii install base: 2,7 millions
- PSP install base: 2,5 millions
- PS3 install base: 1,8 millions
- 360 install base: 0.95 millions

2010:
- Console market share: Nintendo has 55,1% out of 2,3 million (all current gen hardware)
- Games for Nintendo platforms account for 44,7% out of 14,3 million (all current gen retail software)
- Spanish VG market has grown 6% over the last year

You have more YoY and LTD data an pics on the report.

spwolf

it is nice to see some numbers... i wouldnt call 360 irrelevant either, sure less than uk and usa, but still it got some numbers there.

15/25 PS3 games. Amazing.

And the difference between CoDBlops PS3 to 360. Interesting that even MW2 outsold 360 CoD too by a handy margin.

Why For?

Banned
While we all knew the Wii and PS3 outsold the 360 in most of Europe, the 360 has still done almost a mill in Spain. Not Japan level of bad there.

Speaking of Japan, Spains figures look a lot like Japans.

Very handheld focused in Spain. Didn't know that.

Takao

Banned
I realize Invizimals: Shadow Zone only had a few weeks in 2010, but I'm surprised it didn't chart the handheld chart when Eyepet for PSP did.

Katana_Strikes said:
15/25 PS3 games. Amazing.

And the difference between CoDBlops PS3 to 360. Interesting that even MW2 outsold 360 CoD too by a handy margin.

Now take into account that COD games only get advertised on the 360 on TV.

Even Halo Reach didn't make it to the chart.

CaVaYeRo

Philanthropist said:
Now take into account that COD games only get advertised on the 360 on TV.

Even Halo Reach didn't make it to the chart.

Hmmm I think multiplatform games get advertised mostly on the PS3...

Oh, and not only NSMB or MK are 'classics' that appear in there, there were also a lot of Assassin's Creed... the first one! on the charts.

Wow, surprised that Invizimals did as well as it did!

Also, I find it funny how they list the 360 and PS3 as "competitor 1" and "competitor 2" in the first chart!

sphinx

the piano man
I have been several times to spain and the xbox there is almost in a japan level of irrelevence.

Spain is to my knowledge more PC than anything but that might have changed with the Wii por something.

undu

Why For? said:
Very handheld focused in Spain. Didn't know that.
Spain has one of the highest piracy rating, coupling that with the fact that the psp and specially the ds are easier to pirate than home consoles, it's not as much of a shocker to see these results, although I doubt a lot it's the only factor.

danmaku

zero_suit said:
Wow, the 360 is irrelevant in mainland Europe.

It's heavily pirated in countries like Spain and Italy. This may explain the low sales of 360 titles (not being the only reason, of course).

Raist

Banned
danmaku said:
It's heavily pirated in countries like Spain and Italy. This may explain the low sales of 360 titles (not being the only reason, of course).

Hardware is tanking quite hard in mainland europe. I mean just have a look here, 360's LTD is half that of PS3's.

kerrak

Invizimals developer is Novorama, a Barcelona (Spain) based studio. The game realeased in Nov. 2009. It had some marketing effort, and turned out to be a big hit (in handheld/spanish made/kids game terms).
Because of the bundle with the camera, Sony also pushed for this game.
I haven't played it myself, but if i was a kid i would like to.
Now you know why it charts so high.

Keikoku

Banned
zero_suit said:
Wow, the 360 is irrelevant in Spain

Fixed. It sold 550k this year in France (800k PS3). The gap isn't so huge in most of the european countries, not as much as the US gap in any case.

On Spain you do lots of ads in TV, you win.
Thats why games like art academy, invizimals are there.

And people talking about 360 here. I assure you is not as bad as the original xbox was, and also, theres lots of people here now with 360. It started VERY slow (and thats why probably you see those numbers in the charts), but now its really selling well, and even more than PS3 during christmas. Kinect is outselling Move like in the rest of the world, so they are starting to get up.

And for some good news for wii software, during christmas Donkey Kong Country Retunrs and Epic Mickey were selling really well here.

But yeah, piracy does lots of harm here. This is a country were people treat you like a moron if you buy lots of games, so.

Serenity

SpacePirate Ridley said:

And people talking about 360 here. I assure you is not as bad as the original xbox was, and also, theres lots of people here now with 360. It started VERY slow (and thats why probably you see those numbers in the charts), but now its really selling well, and even more than PS3 during christmas. Kinect is outselling Move like in the rest of the world, so they are starting to get up.

And for some good news for wii software, during christmas Donkey Kong Country Retunrs and Epic Mickey were selling really well here.

But yeah, piracy does lots of harm here. This is a country were people treat you like a moron if you buy lots of games, so.

Source?

I see OP has casually omitted this is Nintendo spin of GfK data tweaked by Nintendo so reposting it again from the pal charts:
To those that don't speak spanish, the source translated is:
- Source: GfK weekly report. Sales figures: Nintendo Iberica, extrapolating Gfk data by 0,68.
Its figures for Spain only (for those above that were wondering), taking GfK weekly data and Nintendo Iberica on their own extrapolating it by 0,68.

Don't be surprised if 'competidor 1' and 'competidor 2' come later on with their own spin on the numbers not matching this perfectly.

yurinka

Corto said:
These numbers are Spain only or Iberia?
Spain only
Nuclear Muffin said:
Wow, surprised that Invizimals did as well as it did!

Also, I find it funny how they list the 360 and PS3 as "competitor 1" and "competitor 2" in the first chart!
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Takao said:
Invizimals bigger than Pokemon confirmed.

Invizimals was developed in Spain, so Sony Spain pushed it strongly. In addition to this, it uses a special camera (it isn't the normal one) so it wasn't able to play in pirated copies and in CFW (but I think hackers recently did something to run it in CFW). This point is really important because piracy in Spain is huge.

In addition to this, the game is so innovative. Please remember this game and Eyepet for when Nintendo fanboys start to claim Nintendo invented augmented reality games with 3DS.

yurinka

Ratrat said:
Why is Assassins Creed 1 there above 2?
Budget price + bundled copies, I supouse. Or maybe it's AC Brotherhood.

Looks like it includes bundled copies. At least in Spain Kinect Adventures is bundled with every Kinect sold. So seeing its sales you can see the number of Kinect solds.

BTW, the chart included in the OP is LTD. This is the same, home consoles market share but 2010 only, with PS3 almost catching the Wii:
mediaespanasigue_233919.jpg

tzare

PS3 has proven that Spain can buy games at a decent rate. People used to say that PS2 and psone sold because of piracy but if that had been the case 360 would be ahead and it is not. So that proves not everyone is a pirate here. It is a pitty that those software numbers will be worst next year with all this CFW for PS3 madness.

iceatcs

Keikoku said:
Fixed. It sold 550k this year in France (800k PS3). The gap isn't so huge in most of the european countries, not as much as the US gap in any case.
But France's 2010 gap is now more wider than all years before.
So PS3 is running faster than 360.

Lince

Banned
tzare said:
PS3 has proven that Spain can buy games at a decent rate.

Spain... this is the country where 80% of customers must ask the shops clerks whether the system they're interested in buying can play pirated copies, of course all with a straight face. Meanwhile I've a collection of 300+ games (from MSX to PS3) including lots of factory sealed extra copies of my all time favorites. This is a secret that only my closest friends know and appreciate, you cannot go telling people here that you do actually spend money on videogames or you'll be called many things such as "idiot" "clown" "misinformed" "embarrassing" and even "traitor" for not pirating games.

so yeah, lots of sunshine and breathtaking beaches, nice food, beautiful women, free education and health care for everyone... and an army of both casual and hardcore pirates. Sometimes I hate my country, lol I think you tzare would agree with me on that :p

Wow, that's interesting. I had no idea piracy was that bad. Do these conversations take place in stores that are the equivalent of Gamestop here in the US?

Meaning: are these big name retailers or mom and pop shops?

tzare

Lince said:
Spain... this is the country where 80% of customers must ask the shops clerks whether the system they're interested in buying can play pirated copies, of course all with a straight face. Meanwhile I've a collection of 300+ games (from MSX to PS3) including lots of factory sealed extra copies of my all time favorites. This is a secret that only my closest friends know and appreciate, you cannot go telling people here that you do actually spend money on videogames or you'll be called many things such as "idiot" "clown" "misinformed" "embarrassing" and even "traitor" for not pirating games.

so yeah, lots of sunshine and breathtaking beaches, nice food, beautiful women, free education and health care for everyone... and an army of both casual and hardcore pirates. Sometimes I hate my country, lol I think you tzare would agree with me on that :p

Yeah i agree somehow, but i also see some people, especially +30 y.o changing, slooooowly that way of thinking. So hopefully we can see a brighter future. And i also see hope if game developing grows in Spain, Mercury Steam and Invinzimals developer for examlpe, that may change the way people look and give deserved credit to developers.
Absolutely agree. You can even go to the most popular message boards such as EOL and see how almost all of the gaming content is about piracy and how the doublespeak is officially enforced by mods to sideline legal implication to the point of absurd, with everyone asking for their "backups".
for sure, EOL is just piracy with a thin coat of 'it is legal to play your backups & homebrew'.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
I know the DVD market supposedly collapsed under the weight of piracy, did you notice it's effects? Like lesser retail representation?

J. M. Romeo said:
Yeah, most of us are getting old, getting jobs and appreciating the medium. The ones who are still playing this shit kids stuff in our late twenties (and beyond!) usually have grown some respect towards people's work throughout the years and decided that actually paying for that stuff is the proper thing to do.

I'm friends with one of the devs @ Mercury Steam and we've had this conversation time and again. People here just don't care but luckily the old geeks are beginning to gain some traction. Keyword "some".

Which it is. Making the whole excuse charade even more infuriating to legit homebrew users.

Is there any actual criminal crack-down on piracy?

I'm from Spain, I own a 360 and a PS3 and I've never bought a game from here. Importing everything from uk stores is the only decent deal. New games at 69€? No thanks, amazon uk here I come!!

tzare

molekiller said:
I'm from Spain, I own a 360 and a PS3 and never bought a game from here. Importing everything from uk stores is the only decent deal. New games at 69€? No thanks, amazon uk here I come!!
that is another interesting point. I buy everything at amazon or zavvi or even cduniverse or vg+ in canada. It is amazing that after importing a game, paying shipment costs i can save aproximately 20€ per unit.
Not sure what % of the pie would all this importing thing mean though

Laws in spain are too forgiving, they need to change, but not the US way which are as extreme as ours but just the other way. Oh, and pricing should be considered to by retailers an publishers. We are not rich but we pay a huge 20% more than countries like Japan, US, UK that with much better salaries

Top Bottom