• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[The Rare Canceled Game Art Thread]

Shiggy

akilshohen said:
Haven't played a Rare game other than Conker (GBC and XBOX version), but I would be totally happy with a Jet Force Gemini port to 360.
Does kinect sports count?

Cancelled already, sorry.

Decided to go for a new avatar!

[Nintex]

TheNatural said:
What's basically the status of Rare? Releasing one more Kinect game then basically probably going to go under?
Basically unless they have something else left

Whatever happened to the main players at Rare? Like the Stamper Bros., Ken Lobb, etc?
Ken Lobb went to work for Microsoft. The Stamper bros. ran for the hills when things went out of control between them and Microsoft. Some of their former staff moved up the ranks at MS, some of their former staff like Clynick and Seavor do nothing but troll Microsoft all day, others have set up small development groups for iOS on their own, some moved on to Ubisoft, they're more or less everywhere that is not close to or at Rare.

Shiggy

[Nintex] said:
Basically unless they have something else left

I wonder how successful KS2 will be...that will determine Rare's fate. In early 2009, MGS apparently even talked about closing Rare - they even asked other developers to create new Avatar pitches!

And Nintex, please answer my PM :D

Shiggy said:
I wonder how successful KS2 will be...that will determine Rare's fate. In early 2009, MGS apparently even talked about closing Rare - they even asked other developers to create new Avatar pitches!

And Nintex, please answer my PM :D

But Rare isn't that involved with KS2 are they? Microsoft seemed eager to push the other developer as the main one during E3.

Shiggy

Vinterbird said:
But Rare isn't that involved with KS2 are they? Microsoft seemed eager to push the other developer as the main one during E3.

I really don't know...aren't Rare doing some games and Big Park doing some other games? Otherwise they wouldn't have been able to rush out the sequel that fast.

[Nintex]

Vinterbird said:
That's what I gathered too but Rare recently stated the opposite(could be trolling, could be a last ditch effort) still all these Eurogamer rumors came true:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-13-kinect-ms-to-serve-hardcore-at-e3
Rare will unveil Kinect Sports 2, set for release Christmas 2011, Eurogamer understands.

Rare is also hard at work on a second Kinect game, although this is under wraps. We do know, however, that this game is not associated with any of Rare's established characters, such as Banjo.

I wonder if we'll ever see it officially.

Shiggy

conkerhimself Christopher Seavor
......... I not that drunk that i'll talk about Rare though..... I'd have to be soooo drunk i'd fucking puke.... ironically.

lol

With regards to what Rare are doing for Kinect Sports 2, they're 100% responsible for everything aside from American Football and Skiing which are being handled by Big Park. They're doing all of the menu's and voice stuff too (over 300 phrases recognised).

Shiggy

Dinosaur Planet models

247794_217515548273353_100000447279942_763950_4665726_n.jpg

254539_217516208273287_100000447279942_763974_3423637_n.jpg

PDZ beta Joanna

253029_217516011606640_100000447279942_763968_1385832_n.jpg

[Nintex]

Cool stuff, finally the Nurbs, Falafelkid was right lol.

Also, who at old-school Rare hasn't designed a version of Joanna Dark at some point?

Mael said:
Huh a SFA model owned by MGS? o_O'
probably old pics but still everything inside the walls of Rare is owned by MGS. Not that they a give fuck.

Shiggy

[Nintex] said:
Cool stuff, finally the Nurbs, Falafelkid was right lol.

Also, who at old-school Rare hasn't designed a version of Joanna Dark at some point?

What did falafelkid say?

Mael said:
Huh a SFA model owned by MGS? o_O'

It's probably owned by Nintendo, he might not have got that right.

probably old pics but still everything inside the walls of Rare is owned by MGS. Not that they a give fuck.

Since the Stampers left, everyone takes all of their own work home to use on their portfolio.

[Nintex]

Shiggy said:
What did falafelkid say?
He's the 'ultimate final Revolution speculation' blogger. He always raved about how Nintendo didn't need great specs in the Wii because they would use Nurbs and it was the secret that would outclass both Microsoft and Sony. A real nutter along with Mozlapunk but moz did it for the hits and the fun while Falafelkid still believes his shit and is in fact still employed by I believe RTL Germany.

In fact he's still going with this blog:
http://nintendo-revolution.blogspot.com/
Not as crazy as it used to be.

Shiggy

[Nintex] said:
He's the 'ultimate final Revolution speculation' blogger. He always raved about how Nintendo didn't need great specs in the Wii because they would use Nurbs and it was the secret that would outclass both Microsoft and Sony. A real nutter along with Mozlapunk but moz did it for the hits and the fun while Falafelkid still believes his shit and is in fact still employed by I believe RTL Germany.

In fact he's still going with this blog:
http://nintendo-revolution.blogspot.com/

He works for the ZDF now^^

Some Kameo artworks:
Snowgiants_Web.jpg

Storybook_Web.jpg

World_map_01_Web.jpg

Elemental_garden_Web.jpg

So Nyamyam is an independent game developer comprised of a couple former Rare employees and they are working on an iPad 2 game with David Wise behind the music. Very cool!

Shiggy

IOnEI Falcon said:
So Nyamyam is an independent game developer comprised of a couple former Rare employees and they are working on an iPad 2 game with David Wise behind the music. Very cool!

Nothing really new apart from the David Wise part ;)
Nyamyam is Jennifer Schneidereit, Phil Tossel, Ryo Agarie and some Graham.

And congratulations! You won Chris' contest...were you the only participant? :D

Wil

a Rare flower
Generic fantasy trolls game No.598 :)

Seriously though, that was done during the blip that might have been Kameo 2 but it's just some trolls y'know.

Shiggy

Wil said:
Generic fantasy trolls game No.598 :)

Seriously though, that was done during the blip that might have been Kameo 2 but it's just some trolls y'know.

Alright. What else do you've got to share? :D
Are you now working as an artist for hire?

9429462_orig.jpg

Wil

a Rare flower
Artist for hire makes it sound like some kind of gunslinger but yes, freelance now. I don't really have any desire to go back into the games industry (even if they'd have me). Being at Rare had its good moments but it was the right time to go. Good luck to everyone still there but it wasn't for me any more.

Shiggy

Wil said:
Artist for hire makes it sound like some kind of gunslinger but yes, freelance now. I don't really have any desire to go back into the games industry (even if they'd have me). Being at Rare had its good moments but it was the right time to go. Good luck to everyone still there but it wasn't for me any more.

It's not as if any of the Rare projects you worked on were meant to be published anyway during your 10-year stay. Best of luck for your future endeavours.

Wil

a Rare flower
Personally I was more than happy to have her go completely stylised. Maybe not as much as something like XIII but more along those lines. For artists more used to doing stuff like DK and Conker I felt it was something Rare could pull off well rather than striving for super realism so those initial renders that everyone labelled 'anime Joanna' but with a different haircut and a slightly older face would be what I would have gone for.

Other opinions are available.

No-one wanted my PD set in 2226 where aliens have integrated with humanity; Skedar run DataDyne and a schoolgirl Joanna (who's the great, great, great-granddaughter of the original) who boards at the Carrington Institute International Finishing School (Hogwarts for super future spies) and heads up a crack squad of students.

[Nintex]

Wil said:
Personally I was more than happy to have her go completely stylised. Maybe not as much as something like XIII but more along those lines. For artists more used to doing stuff like DK and Conker I felt it was something Rare could pull off well rather than striving for super realism so those initial renders that everyone labelled 'anime Joanna' but with a different haircut and a slightly older face would be what I would have gone for.

Other opinions are available.

No-one wanted my PD set in 2226 where aliens have integrated with humanity; Skedar run DataDyne and a schoolgirl Joanna (who's the great, great, great-granddaughter of the original) who boards at the Carrington Institute International Finishing School (Hogwarts for super future spies) and heads up a crack squad of students.
Cool, I never really understood the 'hate' for anime Joanna that seemed like an interesting choice and would've fit the game rather well.

As for that other concept... you had me at aliens have integrated with humanity.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Whoa, Wil Overton, hello! Long time fan of yours here. Would you consider working on Worldly Bloke: The Flash Game at some point? I loved that little guy. :D

Wil

a Rare flower
[Nintex] said:
As for that other concept... you had me at aliens have integrated with humanity.

I'll tell you about Bio-Mystical Super Weapon NEO W.U.L.F. (Wild Underwurlde Lupin Form) some time ;)

And thanks for the kind words guys. I've been lucky to have some cool jobs in the past.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Nice artwork.

I never got around to playing Kameo. I've been meaning to play it for years.

On a sidenote, am I the only one who absolutely loved starfox adventures? I thought that game was great.

Wil

a Rare flower
Leigh is a very quiet, unassuming chap who is a fantastic writer. I think anyone would be elusive if they were constantly bombarded with emails either asking why aren't Rare doing a sequel to *insert game of choice here*? or rants about how how the company is dead to them/deserting the fans/responsible for all the evils in the world etc.

He's either got amazing self-control or was sent mad years ago and will eventually explode in a violent rage at an unsuspecting fan asking for tips for Snake, Rattle and Roll.

Honestly, you wouldn't believe the sort of mails he has to sift through. I think he deserves a medal.

Wil said:
Leigh is a very quiet, unassuming chap who is a fantastic writer. I think anyone would be elusive if they were constantly bombarded with emails either asking why aren't Rare doing a sequel to *insert game of choice here*? or rants about how how the company is dead to them/deserting the fans/responsible for all the evils in the world etc.

He's either got amazing self-control or was sent mad years ago and will eventually explode in a violent rage at an unsuspecting fan asking for tips for Snake, Rattle and Roll.

Honestly, you wouldn't believe the sort of mails he has to sift through. I think he deserves a medal.

Oh, I don't doubt that. I think he used Uncle Tusk as an outlet for all those frustrations.
KuGsj.gif
He's a bit of a hero of mine and I've always wanted to meet him. I'd have settled for a photo but it seems there's more genuine photos of Bigfoot than pictures of Leigh Loveday. Ah well, he seems to enjoy his obscurity so I'll leave him be.

Thanks again mate.

Hey Wil, big long time fan here! Always loved (and still love!) your work! Your illustrations are what got me into the Super Play mags and their sequels!

Do you still keep in touch with your old buds at Rare? Any idea what Chris Seavor or the Stampers have been up to lately?

Wil

a Rare flower
Cheers for kind words. I do (as much as possible) keep in touch with ex-Rare friends (and those still there). They're all over the place now, working in and out of the industry. You've probably played loads of games that have had the touch of a rareite (as dodgy as that sounds).

Even at Rare there was much speculation on what Tim and Chris (Stamper) would do after they left but I still don't know. I always figured that if they ever decided to create games again they'd have to employ some staff and that sort of news wouldn't stay hidden for long. Chris Stamper still lives in the area and I see him (from a distance) every now and again. I'm too polite to hassle him about what he's up to, though.

In hindsight, although they could be hard taskmasters, Tim and Chris were, very much, the heart of Rare. I never did get them to sign my copy of Knight Lore :(

Hey Wil :) Already watched you on DA.

I'll be honest, I really loved how Jo Dark looked in PDZ. I thought the characters in that one were great, I far preferred it to the realistic visuals of PD. I would have liked to see more of her like that. Oh wells.

Maxrunner

Wil said:
Cheers for kind words. I do (as much as possible) keep in touch with ex-Rare friends (and those still there). They're all over the place now, working in and out of the industry. You've probably played loads of games that have had the touch of a rareite (as dodgy as that sounds).

Even at Rare there was much speculation on what Tim and Chris (Stamper) would do after they left but I still don't know. I always figured that if they ever decided to create games again they'd have to employ some staff and that sort of news wouldn't stay hidden for long. Chris Stamper still lives in the area and I see him (from a distance) every now and again. I'm too polite to hassle him about what he's up to, though.

In hindsight, although they could be hard taskmasters, Tim and Chris were, very much, the heart of Rare. I never did get them to sign my copy of Knight Lore :(

Was Perfect Dark really running on GC at some point???

For years i've been trying to remember which issue of Super Play had a special on the Pokemon Red/Blue phenomenon before it came out of Japan.
I scoured every issue but couldn't find it.
I refuse to believe it was another publication. It's in there. Somewhere.

Help me Wil Overton, only hope etc!

Wil said:

Oh yeah, I know they've scattered everywhere (and I do appreciate the touches that they bring to their games. I can usually notice their influence from a mile off, like that iPad app mentioned in this thread)

Good to know that you all keep in touch though and that not everyone seems to be as old, cynical and cranky as I am.

Wil

a Rare flower
Maxrunner said:
Was Perfect Dark really running on GC at some point???

As far as I can remember it was but only in a very basic fashion. There was no real game to speak of until the Xbox version.

the androgyne said:
For years i've been trying to remember which issue of Super Play had a special on the Pokemon Red/Blue phenomenon before it came out of Japan.
I scoured every issue but couldn't find it.
I refuse to believe it was another publication. It's in there. Somewhere.

I think you'll find it was in N64, not SP. We only knew it as Pocket Monsters at that time, too. There was a time when Future Pub. were looking into doing comics and I said we should get the Pocket Monsters manga translated and run it a few pages a month in the mag because I could see it being big. Ah well...

So is it fair to say the Stamper's were not the most 'personable' of chaps? I've heard over the years they weren't the friendliest sort of fellows, particularly when it came to the media and the fans.

Wil said:
I think you'll find it was in N64, not SP. We only knew it as Pocket Monsters at that time, too. There was a time when Future Pub. were looking into doing comics and I said we should get the Pocket Monsters manga translated and run it a few pages a month in the mag because I could see it being big. Ah well...

And suddenly i feel a bit stupider for not realising that before, considering the original Pocket Monster's release date...
Unfortunately i don't think i have the issue in question so it must have been a friends copy :(
Thanks a lot though!

Wil

a Rare flower
Kermit The Dog said:
So is it fair to say the Stamper's were not the most 'personable' of chaps? I've heard over the years they weren't the friendliest sort of fellows, particularly when it came to the media and the fans.

I got on fine with both Tim and Chris but I was on my best behaviour any time I had to do something for them - get it done straight away etc. They weren't nasty or anything but they did expect 101% from you. Probably, rightly so.

@the androgyne - I'll have a look later on and see if I can find the issue. I might be able to scan the article in and PM it to you or something.

Thanks for all great answers Wil. Really cool!

Did you get to do much for Perfect Dark Core, when it was with Joanna or the new male rumored character?

Top Bottom