• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

51 Hours To Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

dream

Just saw this and thought it was pretty cool. A guy on reddit (I know, I know) with terminal cancer is going to be allowed to die in a little over two days. What's really interesting are the different sendoffs he's getting from strangers. Some people are posting pictures of themselves. Others are telling him stories. Neat stuff.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/fy6yz/51_hours_left_to_live/

daffygremlin 95 points 2 hours ago[-]
what message or lesson would you like to give to us and the rest of the world

Lucidending 691 points 1 hour ago[-]
That nothing we have is worth hurting anyone else for. It's all fleeting people. Stop seeing race, color, sex, religion, etc.... Theyre all just people, and if you try to love them you won't lose anything.

Not sure I could deal with that, knowing when I would die. Oddly, I'm perfectly fine with knowing I would die in a huge disaster that wipes out a city or even the entire planet. Then people are going with me, it's almost less personal. But lying in a bed and taking a needle?

Blader

thebassfiddleman 49 points 1 hour ago[-]
There's an AMA going on started by someone who plans to commit suicide in the next few days. What, if anything would you say to him to try and get him to rethink things?

Lucidending 191 points 1 hour ago[-]
I would tell him that it's not living that's failed him, it's life. We can always change our life as long as were living. He's addressing the wrong issue

I really like that.

Ezalc

Randolph Freelander said:
Not sure I could deal with that, knowing when I would die. Oddly, I'm perfectly fine with knowing I would die in a huge disaster that wipes out a city or even the entire planet. Then people are going with me, it's almost less personal.

I find the whole "misery loves company" thing to be very saddening.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I'm given medication by the doctor to self administer. I already have the iv so it should be easy. I don't have a home, it was consumed in medical bills.

:(

dream

See, I usually don't pay much attention to stuff like this but something about how terrified he seems gets to me.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
There was another AMA on Reddit today posted by somebody who says he's going to kill himself on Monday.

Morbid fucking weekend on the internet.

edit: Oops, didn't read the quote above. Looks like it was already brought up.

Hilaho

Neo Member
I don't think it's depressing. The man is going to find peace and do so on his own terms. Good for him.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Huh, I'm not finding this depressing at all. He's come to peace with death and has decided that he wants to die with his idea of dignity. I can't really fault that.

Aside from the random troll and the internal comment arguments, I'm finding the feedback from the internet to be kind of uplifting.

black_13

Banned
Damn, this really makes you think about your own life and how you don't appreciate the freedom you have to do all the things you want.

xbhaskarx

I thought this response was good

Hi. I'm Brad from Virginia. When I was in college a few years ago, I used to take Geology classes by this lake outside of Williamsburg. We used to drill down 3-4 feet into the ground and pull up cores from around the lake to take samples. What was really neat was that you'd always find a layer about 2 feet down of shells and other sealife. Millions of years ago, all of the east coast was a continental shelf and underwater. Geologically the sample it wasn't even that old but it was weird to think that those shells were older then human civilization. I say this because well, though it may seem like you're leaving earlier then the rest of us, we'll all be joining you very soon, almost immediately in the grand scheme of things. Human life is short, and our time here is just a blip. We'll all be joining you soon :) See you there friend.

Drewsky

black_13 said:
Damn, this really makes you think about your own life and how you don't appreciate the freedom you have to do all the things you want.
This is what I meant by depressing. What this guy is actually doing isn't really depressing, just moving, I guess.

If I had 51 hours to live, I'd be making Charlie Sheen look like a Nancy boy bible-thumping goody two shoes.
I wouldn't be spending it on the Internet. Or would I? I probably would.
Now I'm sad.

Drewsky

Bulbo Urethral Baggins said:
If I had 51 hours to live, I'd be making Charlie Sheen look like a Nancy boy bible-thumping goody two shoes.
I wouldn't be spending it on the Internet. Or would I? I probably would.
Now I'm sad.
Yeah, I'd like to think I'd be snorting coke and fucking expensive prostitutes. But I'd most likely just chill.

Calcaneus

The response about him requesting his family to leave one day early really got to me. Having their last memory of him be a happy one.

That last day has to be rough as hell, I don't think I would want anyone I know to witness it.

Q: Did you create any sort of "bucket list". If so, how did it progress?

A: One, have a child of my own and I failed.

This just fucking slaughtered me.

Boogie

AvidNobody said:

aw hell..

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
AvidNobody said:

mother fucker :(

LaneDS

Ugh, even if he has as good an attitude about his fate as possible, I could only read a few posts before the sadness was overwhelming. Still, good on him for trying to impart some wisdom and leave the world slightly better off before he goes.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
I hope this guy isn't trolling, but there's no way I'm going to read his depressing thoughts

I thought this was a good one. I've never really thought of it that way. And the subsequent thread is oddly comforting.

I'm going to live. This is as close to travel and meeting new people as I can get now. I'm sorry if that sounds dumb but this is my world tour

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/fy6yz/51_hours_left_to_live/c1jicsj

This really put things into perspective for me. I feel like I bitch and complain over the stupidest things.

Juanadams

Banned
I don't find it as sad as everyone here but then again I've never been wired that way.

Damn interesting read though.

Ezalc

AvidNobody said:

Wow.

jaxword

Kudos to Oregon's Death with dignity act. The man's demonstrating his rights and giving everyone who reads his words a bit more value for their own lives.

Life is a precious, finite resource...don't waste it.

tclas 162 points 11 hours ago
Are there any iPad apps you would like? I can spare a few dollars to give you a little entertainment today.
offconstantly 370 points 10 hours ago
DON'T get Angry Birds. You'll end up pushing back your Tuesday date.

I admit i lol'd between the tears

jaxword

This part here shows true bravery:

jethonis 132 points 13 hours ago[-]

Do you believe in an afterlife? Either way did it effect you decision?

Lucidending 338 points 13 hours ago[-]

No and no. Pain and fear drove this decision. I've lost my ability to walk, travel, love.... There's no future but pain, so why not?

He doesn't believe in an afterlife. He admits he's scared of the fact it all ends in 2 days.

And he's still facing it with reason and rationality.

That's bravery. Facing your ultimate fear with dignity as it slowly comes for you is an amazing act of courage.

I guess we'll see this kind of thing a lot in the future. People who are alone, about to die, and spend their last minutes fielding questions on the internet. It'll probably happen on gaf or any other major forum.

jaxword said:
This part her shows true bravery:

No and no. Pain and fear drove this decision. I've lost my ability to walk, travel, love.... There's no future but pain, so why not?

He doesn't believe in an afterlife. He admits he's scared of the fact it all ends in 2 days.

That's bravery. Facing your ultimate fear with dignity as it slowly comes for you is an amazing act of courage.

that's practicality.
I have no heart. i'm a robot.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Off topic , but if i had had 51 hours live , i'd seek out a heroin dealer and ride out in a bliss for that 51 hours.

Hell yeh

jaxword said:
This part her shows true bravery:

That's not courage. Courage would be if he decided to live as long as possible despite the horrible pain.

jaxword

Smision said:
that's practicality.
I have no heart. i'm a robot.

Is it? I would think most people would argue they want to be injected with as much morphine as possible to drift away peacefully with no fears or worries anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom