• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

51 Hours To Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaxword

ElectricBlue187 said:
That's not courage. Courage would be if he decided to live as long as possible despite the horrible pain.

That's exactly what he is doing.

He just stopped taking the external forces that kept the inevitable at bay. If he wanted he could live in the semi-life if life support and painkillers, barely conscious and able to think. He said he wants to die with a brain able to think, not some cloudy barely-coherent lump of flesh.

He wouldn't be in horrible pain because the medicines would be keeping him alive.

He IS living as long as possible with the horrible pain, and that's why it's only 51 hours left.

It takes bravery to just stop delaying the inevitable and face it head on.

entremet

ElectricBlue187 said:
That's not courage. Courage would be if he decided to live as long as possible despite the horrible pain.
What you are describing is not courage, but masochism.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
ElectricBlue187 said:
sorry, but that isn't courage either.

jaxword said:
That's exactly what he is doing.

He just stopped taking the external forces that kept the inevitable at bay. If he wanted he could live in the semi-life if life support and painkillers, barely conscious and able to think. He said he wants to die with a brain able to think, not some cloudy barely-coherent lump of flesh.

He wouldn't be in horrible pain because the medicines would be keeping him alive.

He IS living as long as possible with the horrible pain, and that's why it's only 51 hours left.

It takes bravery to just stop delaying the inevitable and face it head on.
I understand where you're coming from but I still have trouble equating courage with doctor assisted suicide.
What you are describing is not courage, but masochism.

Perhaps and I'm not saying i wouldn't do the exact same thing in his position. But I definetly wouldn't think I was being noble or courageous doing that, just being a man seeking pleasure and avoiding pain

ElectricBlue187 said:
I understand where you're coming from but I still have trouble equating courage with doctor assisted suicide.

You go against your very basic instinct of staying alive. That takes a fuckload of courage.

jaxword

ElectricBlue187 said:

So you're turning this into a religious/political issue. How disappointing.

If this man's story doesn't make you realize that it is sadistic to force people to live in suffering when they don't want to, then nothing will.

It takes courage to die, especially when suffering, instead of some artificially happy drug-induced haze.

entremet

ElectricBlue187 said:
It's not suicide. He just deciding not to take his medications and delay the inevitable. Just because you can stay alive, whilst going to immense physical pain, because of medical advances, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

jaxword said:
So you're turning this into a religious/political issue. How disappointing.

If this man's story doesn't make you realize that it is sadistic to force people to live in suffering when they don't want to, then nothing will.

It takes courage to die, especially when suffering, instead of some artificially happy drug-induced haze.
My opinion has nothing to do with religion it's just my opinion on life and death I would never force that on anybody else

And the poster in the thread who offered to leave right away and join him if he didn't want to die alone... humanity at its best. Filled with a bit of humility reading that

Rich!

ElectricBlue187 said:
My opinion has nothing to do with religion it's just my opinion on life and death I would never force that on anybody else

Then, I don't see why you have a problem with this person dying peacefully of his own free will.

ElectricBlue187 said:

Perhaps and I'm not saying i wouldn't do the exact same thing in his position. But I definetly wouldn't think I was being noble or courageous doing that, just being a man seeking pleasure and avoiding pain

I see what you're saying (he's just making a utilitarian choice.) but why care about what attributes someone's final decisions reflect anyway? This was a personal choice and none of us know shit about it, let alone have any standing to judge the morality or practicality behind it.

our logic isn't good enough to handle the concept of death (and it never will be), so it's usually best to not say anything.

jaxword

ElectricBlue187 said:

Sure seems like you're trying to force people to think he's a coward for facing his mortality coherently and rationally.

If anything, the cowardly way is to use the drugs and other agents to artificially delude his brain into thinking he's happy and dull his brain from the inevitable truth.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
ElectricBlue187 said:
By framing it as 'doctor-assisted suicide' you're turning your view into a political statement.

I'm also a bit curious why you would call a terminal patient wanting to leave this world with as much dignity as possible as 'pleasure'-seeking.

jaxword

ElectricBlue187 said:

Did you even read the link?

The man COULD avoid pain by taking the painkillers and life-extending agents. He has chosen not to.

The man also does not believe in the afterlife. There is no reward for him for doing this, just nothingness.

He is NOT seeking pleasure from this at all.

It's incredibly insulting towards him for you to even imply that.

scorcho said:
By framing it as 'doctor-assisted suicide' you're turning your view into a political statement.

I'm also a bit curious why you would call a terminal patient wanting to leave this world with as much dignity as possible as 'pleasure'-seeking.
I was probably wrong calling it that but that's what it sounded like "oregon's death with dignity law" So maybe it's more like deciding to remove life support?

I'm not saying he's a coward but I don't think there's anything courageous about deciding it's time to go.

jaxword

ElectricBlue187 said:
I don't think there's anything courageous about deciding it's time to go.

You don't see anything courageous about realizing your existence is coming to an end in 2 days and approaching it with dignity and respect instead of a drug-induced numb happiness?

jaxword said:
You don't see anything courageous about realizing your existence is coming to an end in 2 days and approaching it with dignity and respect instead of a drug-induced numb happiness?
Nope. Maybe I have a slightly different idea of what constitutes courage and what is just regular human nature.

jaxword

ElectricBlue187 said:
Nope. Maybe I have a slightly different idea of what constitutes courage and what is just regular human nature.

It's quite apparent you do, as every post in this thread has demonstrated no one agrees with you on whatever definition you are using.

Perhaps this is a good opportunity to re-assess your ideas about courage, because I think the majority of people would agree that facing death, our species' greatest fear, with dignity and respect is the ultimate act of courage.

I can't possibly fathom the logic of "courage" being "deliberately expand your life artificially with mind-clouding drugs that reduce you to a semi-coherent lump of unmoving flesh."

jaxword said:
It's quite apparent you do, as every post in this thread has demonstrated no one agrees with you on whatever definition you are using.

Perhaps this is a good opportunity to re-assess your ideas about courage, because I think the majority of people would agree that facing death, our species' greatest fear, with dignity and respect is the ultimate act of courage.

I can't possibly fathom the logic of "courage" being "deliberately expand your life artificially with mind-clouding drugs that reduce you to a semi-coherent lump of unmoving flesh."
No thanks. I don't think I'll change my mind just to appease the group think. But I will stop derailing the thread!

jaxword

ElectricBlue187 said:
No thanks. I don't think I'll change my mind just to appease the group think. But I will stop derailing the thread!

That is very sad that you'd resort to calling it "group think" when you cannot defend your position and then running off when called on it.

At least the majority of people respect this poor man's act of courage, and hopefully will learn from it.

zoukka

ElectricBlue187 said:
No thanks. I don't think I'll change my mind just to appease the group think.

If you can't argue your point anymore, I don't see any other sensible way out of this :)

Roto13

You know, I can agree that it's not particularly courageous to take the least unpleasant way out. It's certainly not cowardly, but choosing to die when dying is all you can do isn't brave, it's just an unfortunate reality for some people. Choosing to die now doesn't make him any more brave than someone who chooses to extend their life as much as possible, even it it's going to be a generally shitty life.

That said, facing death without panicking or freaking out, and having a cool and collected enough head to answer questions like that, and being able to make peace with the inevitable, is all pretty cool. Good for him. He's being very strong.

ElectricBlue187 said:
I was probably wrong calling it that but that's what it sounded like "oregon's death with dignity law" So maybe it's more like deciding to remove life support?
No, he'll be taking medication that will end his life at a very specific point in time (51 hours from the time of posting), not just letting himself die.

shuri

Banned
Roto13 said:
We don't.
A throwaway account called "Lucid Ending", a sad story about never giving an engagement ring to his highschool sweetheart because he got into a fight and had to join the military.. I dooooont know

Ashes

Banned
Interesting that courage was brought up... Courage always gets brought up in these kind of situations...

I'd call a kid with cancer that has a 75% of dying within the next six months, and yet saying: Fuck it, I might make it through... who knows... a brave kid.

Then again anybody who confronts anything that frightens them is courageous. right?

I think the wisest position perhaps is to take each situation as it rises.

Personally, I don't think it's courageous to take your own life, when you see the end coming on the horizon. Nor do I see this as somebody who is acting out of cowardice, fear, fatigue, amongst other things perhaps but not cowardice. It's a cornered man, making the best of things, in the way that he sees fit...

edit: and I can respect that.

Ark

AvidNobody said:
Q: Did you create any sort of "bucket list". If so, how did it progress?

A: One, have a child of my own and I failed.

This just fucking slaughtered me.

I'm lost for words :/.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
AvidNobody said:
Q: Did you create any sort of "bucket list". If so, how did it progress?

A: One, have a child of my own and I failed.

This just fucking slaughtered me.
I wOnder what's worse: having a child and having to let him grow uP without a parent, Or not having one at all.

JackEtc

ManDudeChild said:
That put you over the edge? Dude, stay far away from cliche chick-flicks and feel-good sappy cookie-cutter endings to films. Your tear ducts might dry out.
The stuff that he had said in the thread had me all teary eyed, and that was like, the little thing that set it off I guess.

And I dont cry at movies, they're fake.

olore

Saddest and most uplifting thread I´ve read in a while. Internet from it`s most beautiful side

ElectricBlue187 said:

From USA Today:

One post on NeoGAF, a gaming site, said of Lucidending's decision: "That's not courage. Courage would be if he decided to live as long as possible despite the horrible pain."

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom