• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

51 Hours To Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaxword

toxicgonzo said:
Why the hate for ElectricBlue's comment?

"I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what." - To Kill A Mockingbird.

ElectricBlue is talking exactly about this very type of courage.

The only reason I see the hatred for his comment is if his comment is as seen as looking down upon that guy becuase he himself is not dying of cancer and would possibly have a hard time saying that if he were in that situation.

The guy's nervous system is slowly shutting down. He says he's not able to move around much anymore. If that pattern continues, likely his other limbs will be next to the point where he can't even hold that precious ipad which people have talked about as some sort of "reason" to live.

Making someone live (when they don't want to) if they can't move their arms and legs is sadistic.

Everyone's afraid of dying, it's hardwired into our human brains to survive no matter what. And as has been said, since he doesn't have any afterlife to believe in, he's facing nothingness. He's already said he's afraid of the end--and is facing that fear. THAT is courage.

The Lamp

Notrollious said:
I feel like I bitch and complain over the stupidest things.

You do. We all do. It's part of being in a relatively comfortable society where we are all absorbed in the problems of our own little bubble.

You never fully appreciate something until it's going to be gone.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
PHOTZl.jpg

EDIT:

I will be really pissed at the internet should this be a fake, but I think it might not be.

Why the hate for ElectricBlue's comment?

cause it's ignorant bullshit and a news site seized upon it to point out ignorance from stupid parts of the internet. Most gaffers don't like to consider themselves stupid, probably.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
ElectricBlue187 said:
That's not courage. Courage would be if he decided to live as long as possible despite the horrible pain.

False, courage is not what you do for yourself, it is what you do for others.

Can you imagine the financial and emotional burden that his family are facing at the moment?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
JackEtc said:
Reddit loves us.

I'm Jaklap on Reddit, BTW. Hopefully my comment response to that guy talking about the GAF quote will get upvoted so people can see the truth, instead of USA Today's fuck up.

Hey! I was quoted in a reddit post quoting quotes about a quote from this thread quoted in USA Today!

I HAVE MADE IT

thank you for making that post, Jaklap. very cathartic

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
jaxword said:
The guy's nervous system is slowly shutting down. He says he's not able to move around much anymore. If that pattern continues, likely his other limbs will be next to the point where he can't even hold that precious ipad which people have talked about as some sort of "reason" to live.

Making someone live (when they don't want to) if they can't move their arms and legs is sadistic.

Everyone's afraid of dying, it's hardwired into our human brains to survive no matter what. And as has been said, since he doesn't have any afterlife to believe in, he's facing nothingness. He's already said he's afraid of the end--and is facing that fear. THAT is courage.

This is exactly how I feel down to the precise diction I'd have chosen.

To say nothing of the fact that continuing his treatment would probably be a large financial burden on his family, considering that his medical bills already forced him to give up his home. Then there's the fact that he'd lose his ability to communicate and remain lucid (get it?) as the weeks/months went on, putting his family through the emotional trauma of having their last memories of him be completely absent of dignity.

Going that route might mean staying alive longer. But in his case it certainly wouldn't have meant less pain. And it sure as hell wouldn't have been more courageous.

edit: arg, sorry about the double post. I was sure I clicked edit.

dschalter said:
it casts some doubt on it, doesn't prove much.

But one of Lucidending's statements suggests he may not be someone who has received a prescription to hasten death under Oregon's law. When asked about the details of a lethal prescription, Lucidending indicated he would take the drug intravenously, which is not allowed under the Oregon law.

"I'm given medication by the doctor to self administer. I already have the iv so it should be easy," he said.

Under Oregon's Death with Dignity Act, the patient must be able to self ingest the medication by swallowing or taking it through a feeding tube if that is their established way of eating. The law does not allow intravenous injections. Lucidending did not respond to personal messages sent Monday.

that is what they got

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Euthenasia is illegal and incredibly frowned upon in Australia however my father was "allowed" to overdose on morphine at the palliative care unit where he died. Who's to say that a doctor did not go past the law and sanction this?

aerts1js

So, not only did we possibly get trolled by the article but Electricfail made Neogaf look bad in the national spotlight.

This could be... neogaf's darkest hour. :(

dschalter

aerts1js said:
So, not only did we possibly get trolled by the article but Electricfail made Neogaf look bad in the national spotlight.

This could be... neogaf's darkest hour. :(

every npd thread.

speedpop

koam said:
How does someone who's about to die, post a topic like that and "forget" their password?
I'm not defending this supposed farce nor am I supporting its supposed truth, but for what it's worth my father mistook me as my brother and my confused my sisters many times. Correcting him seemed to bring a more confused state so we let those weird moments (which included many other abnormal happenings) pass. Cancer and the treatments toward fighting it does many strange things to a victim's memory and motor actions.

I still recall my Nan swearing up and down the hallway a few days before she died from liver cancer. I had never known her to swear at all - it was as if she instantly suffered from Tourette's syndrome.

jaxword

koam said:
How does someone who's about to die, post a topic like that and "forget" their password?

I was wondering about that too. I actually thought he may have died early. :(

Then I heard about the second account (which people called fraud on). I think the truth is pretty mired at this point.

mcrae

WickedAngel said:
First thing I asked myself when that "twist" broke.

what the guy two posts above me posted.

also, he just found out about reddit from his nephew, and had just made the account with a 'throwaway' email.

people refer to the account as a throwaway account, i assume they mean email but maybe they're talking about a reddit account type, i dunno anything about reddit

edit
jaxword said:
I was wondering about that too. I actually thought he may have died early. :(

Then I heard about the second account (which people called fraud on). I think the truth is pretty mired at this point.

whatrs there to know? source?

speedpop

reddit.com doesn't require an email to register an account.

blame space said:
life is just electrical impulses in the brain fueled by the heart
Usually your posts are full of shit, but I believe this may be the first one that hasn't made me chortle like a cock or frown with disdain toward.

Another thing is someone asked "Why the throwaway?"

and he replied "Just got an iPad today, and found reddit from my nephew. Not been lucid enough to actually use the Internet. So, it's not a throwaway it's an aloha account. Hello and goodbye."

If he truly is new to reddit, it is very strange that he knows exactly what a throwaway (account) even is. Just doesn't completely add up...

Ugh if thats fake...ugh. I hate it when people do that. I had a friend on another site who died of cancer. He was a well known member too. To make things really worse a few months later after his death another member began to troll by pretending to have cancer. Said member was well known and then ends up revealing how he trolled all of us and never had cancer nor was a girl and how pathetic we were for crying over someone dieing we've never me. Ugh.

jaxword

I REALLY hope this is not a hoax (not to wish death upon anyone, but in a loss of faith in humanity way). That would be a real asshole move, like making a fake charity. You know there are people lurking this thread just waiting for a chance to say "Ha, vindicated, I knew it all along, I'm not a monster for calling this guy out, etc."

cacophony

lol, people upset it might be a hoax. so you're mad that someone DIDN'T die? fake or not, the thread put things into perspective for a lot of people.

dschalter

jaxword said:
I REALLY hope this is not a hoax, because you know there are people lurking this thread just waiting for a chance to say "Ha, vindicated, I knew it all along, I'm not a monster for calling this guy out, etc."

dude.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Well if a cancer patient ends up dead within the next 24 hours then it'll be on the news. If not, then it was probably a farce.

ChocolateCupcakes said:
It's been said, but wow electricblue, just wow. Who are you to decide what courage is and what is an honorable way to die?
He was expressing his personal opinion. What more do you expect him to do? Sign every post "IMO"?

Lost Fragment said:
Well if a cancer patient ends up dead within the next 24 hours then it'll be on the news. If not, then it was probably a farce.

I find it odd so many are getting emotional over this w/o evidence. But whatever, the USA Today bit is gold lol

Neki

the real twist is that electricblue is actually the cancer patient and did it to get himself quoted in an article on U.S.A today, bam!

xbhaskarx

Lost Fragment said:
Yeah if only 90 or so people die under the Oregon Act every year, there probably were not too many 39 year old male cancer patients who died today/tomorrow among them. And now that this is getting media attention, someone will figure out if it was real or a hoax.

Shouta

ChocolateCupcakes said:
It's been said, but wow electricblue, just wow. Who are you to decide what courage is and what is an honorable way to die?

ElectricBlue's comment is no more wrong than yours is right. Courage is not a concept that has a hard and fast definition. There are any number of decisions and situations that are totally opposite of each other that could be called courageous. So complaining that his opinion is stupid is asinine. If you want to bop him, nail him for not expressing his reasoning why he thinks so well.

Anyway, if this is a farce, it's a helluva farce.

Dresden

Amazing, lol. Electricblue, you're famous! Kinda.

I hope this is a hoax, by the way--good for the laughs and it means no one died a miserable death.

Saddening. I'm tearing up, and this fucking song came up - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AchsjkkEqxY - making shit even worse.

Makes me depressed, yet appreciative of the life i'm living. I really appreciate the ones I care for and the ones who care for me back. Thanks, anonymous person. I really hope you take care, before you leave us. Your story was tough to read.

As for Electricblue, i'm sure everyone took care of the message, but let me add another Fuck You to your bountiful plate. Only because you didn't state your reasoning behind your message.

xbhaskarx

Dresden said:
I hope this is a hoax, by the way--good for the laughs and it means no one died a miserable death.

Pretty sure many people with cancer are still dying every day.
Does it make you feel better when they're just numbers who are not answering questions on some website?

Dresden

xbhaskarx said:
Pretty sure many people with cancer are still dying every day.
Does it make you feel better when they're just numbers who are not answering questions on some website?
Yeah, feels good.

Reddit's IAMA/AMA thing always seems like a contest for the biggest attention whore. I don't want to be a cynic, but I have a hard time believing that most of these are true. I wish they would just identify themselves to the mods, when it's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom