• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

51 Hours To Live

Status
Not open for further replies.
jaxword said:
Perhaps, deep down, behind all our cynical shells, we want to believe that humans have the capacity to be good if just given the right motivations.

It's what I tell myself daily to keep studying.

I'm completely opposite. I believe humans are inherently douche bags.

Anyone that believed the story with absolutely no proof is retarded anyway.

HiroProtagonist said:
Yeah, so much safer! I almost gave him my sympathy for free. Could you imagine? Next time I'll only feel badly after I see the body.

You're trying to be dramatic, but yes. This is the fucking Internet. The number of people that lie about fucking family members on /b/ makes suspicious of everybody that says anything about shit.

jaxword

tycoonheart said:

We are. :(

But I have to keep reminding myself that while people can be douchebags, they have the capacity to be more, if they're just given the right help. It's why I chose the medical field for study. Maybe we just need people to realize by helping each other we can improve things for everyone and don't need to murder each other to get ahead.

JackEtc

I like to think that it was true.

I saw one commentor say this on one of the Reddit threads that was claiming this to be fake:
You know what? Lucidending is no different than the thousands of people dying every day. Sure, he claimed to use the DWDA. Sure, he was a redditor. But you don't think that every day, there are people out there wanting to see the world? People whose last meal are jello, because they don't want to soil themselves any more? Even people who regret never proposing to their high school sweetheart. There are thousands, and the only difference is that they didn't make an IamA. Lucidending as both a person and a concept touched my life. No statistics can have any effect on that.
I think what he says is perfect.

JackEtc said:
I like to think that it was true.

I saw one commentor say this on one of the Reddit threads that was claiming this to be fake:

I think what he says is perfect.

Not sure what the commenter was getting at. So it took a fake account to remind him that there are tons of people suffering all over the world?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
tycoonheart said:

You need to spend less time on the internet and more time in real life

Stay away from politics, Wall-street, and Grad-school though. Those will never restore anyone's faith in humanity.

daffy

Banned
tycoonheart said:
This isn't true at all!

MLK Jr., what a dick. Ghandi, fucking tool. Mother Theresa really pulled a number on us huh? Oh oh and Abraham Lincoln's bitch ass.

Every human has the capacity to do good, but when saying fuck the world and doing nothing is cool, there will be less positive attitude shown.

iNvid02

we're all good at birth, hate is only taught to us.
like everyone says less time on the net where being anonymous causes people to act like idiots and more time in the real world and you'll see it a whole new way.

butter_stick said:
Anyone that believed the story with absolutely no proof is retarded anyway.

You're trying to be dramatic, but yes. This is the fucking Internet. The number of people that lie about fucking family members on /b/ makes suspicious of everybody that says anything about shit.

/b/? surprising.

Reddit get's trolled all the time. From grampawiggly (I think that was his name) to that MOD that was gaming the system, so I know trolling happens, and regularly on reddit. I think it's easier to go "Hm, that's sad", and "I wonder what I'd do in that situation" rather than "OMG it's a toll", or "Anyone that believed the story with absolutely no proof is retarded anyway." My two seconds of empathy cost nothing. Seriously, I have like endless supplies of it. Even you can have some. I'm sending some your way right now. Feel it? It's good, right? That's just what works best for me. You fight the good fight! Slay the trolls, and stoke the fires of your righteous indignation. I'm going to take a nap...all this compassion has me exhausted.

FTH said:
This isn't true at all!

MLK Jr., what a dick. Ghandi, fucking tool. Mother Theresa really pulled a number on us huh? Oh oh and Abraham Lincoln's bitch ass.

Every human has the capacity to do good, but when saying fuck the world and doing nothing is cool, there will be less positive attitude shown.

Picking out a handful of examples out of billions upon billions of people isn't going to change anyone's mind.

daffy

Banned
WickedAngel said:
Picking out a handful of examples out of billions upon billions of people isn't going to change anyone's mind.
They're humans aren't they? It was a quick post. I guess those people are inherently douchebags huh?

I mean I can't name my best friend or any of the people I've met in my life because he can't relate to that.

FTH said:
They're humans aren't they? It was a quick post. I guess those people are inherently douchebags huh?

I mean I can't name my best friend or any of the people I've met in my life because he can't relate to that.

If you had any skill for context, you'd have realized that your interpretation of his statement was horribly flawed. What he meant is pretty obvious to everyone else even if it wasn't stated correctly.

daffy

Banned
WickedAngel said:
If you had any skill for context at all, you'd have realized that your interpretation of his statement was horribly flawed.
"Humans are inherently douchebags." Humans are essentially shitty towards each other.
Why don't you explain since you have skill for context?

FTH said:
"Humans are inherently douchebags." Humans are essentially shitty towards each other.
Why don't you explain since you have skill for context?

So you get the gist of his statement and you still don't see the problem with cherry-picking superlatives from history?

I'm pretty comfortable in asserting that any explanation would be lost on you.

Az

Happy if it is in fact a lie. Would hate for anyone to go through the final stages of cancer.
Also, if it's a lie it at least made me think about things while reading the posts. Kind of like a good movie that get's you to think about it, even when it's over.

daffy

Banned
WickedAngel said:
So you get the gist of his statement and you still don't see the problem with cherry-picking superlatives from history?

I'm pretty comfortable in asserting that any explanation would be lost on you.
Cool. tycoonheart you're right, humans are douchebags. On the internet at least.

shuri

Banned
FTH said:
This isn't true at all!

Ghandi was known to be an ass to people like his helpers (and had an hilariously loltastic method of 'testing his purity' by sleeping with two naked 20something girls with him at all time) and Mother Theresa was known to have taken some serious wtf decisions that people in her entourage determined to be just way sto look more pitiful to get more street creds.

Look it up.

I'm laughing my ass off at those 'omg tears are running down my cheeeeekks' guys. It was so obviously sketchy from the start. I swear its like half of the gaf live in a shell and was never exposed to the real world.

mcrae

WickedAngel said:

exactly, its a terrible way to argue. for every ghandi there is a serial killer

daffy

Banned
mcrae said:
exactly, its a terrible way to argue. for every ghandi there is a serial killer
And that is also a terrible way to "argue"

For every serial killer, which they aren't that many of anyway, there is someone that is trying their fucking hardest to make life better for someone else.

Saying that all humans are inherent douchebags is a blanket statement that no one will even bother with arguing about in real life without some kind of explanation.

shuri said:
Ghandi was known to be an ass to people like his helpers (and had an hilariously loltastic method of 'testing his purity' by sleeping with two naked 20something girls with him at all time) and Mother Theresa was known to have taken some serious wtf decisions that people in her entourage determined to be just way sto look more pitiful to get more street creds.
Great. So these things you mentioned are supposed to cancel out the positive things they've done? I'm not saying people don't have douchebags tendencies or "moments", but that this is all they are is not true.

mcrae

FTH said:
And that is also a terrible way to "argue"

For every serial killer, which they aren't that many of anyway, there is someone that is trying their fucking hardest to make life better for someone else.

Saying that all humans are inherent douchebags is a blanket statement that no one will even bother with arguing about in real life without some kind of explanation.

heh, its sad that we both agree that its a poor way to argue, but are still arguing it. that guy said theres tons of amazingly good people, i said theres tons of amazingly bad people that offset them.

you come in and say there are lots of pretty damn good people which again brings the average back to the good side. i could say there are lots of thieves and crooks, but you could just argue that there are less felons than people who havent been convicted of anything.... endless loop.

xbhaskarx

Duane Cunningham said:
Electric Blue, you are Keith Olbermann's WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD-ORLD-RLD-rld

http://foknewschannel.com/worst-persons-for-march-8-2011/

HOW DARE YOU SIR
angry-olbermann.jpg

hsin

Banned
jaxword said:
We are. :(

But I have to keep reminding myself that while people can be douchebags, they have the capacity to be more, if they're just given the right help. It's why I chose the medical field for study. Maybe we just need people to realize by helping each other we can improve things for everyone and don't need to murder each other to get ahead.

Wanna work for House? They might be on the market for a new Cameron.

SMFH at this thread. Throw in some :rolls eyes:

Shouta said:
ElectricBlue's comment is no more wrong than yours is right. Courage is not a concept that has a hard and fast definition. There are any number of decisions and situations that are totally opposite of each other that could be called courageous. So complaining that his opinion is stupid is asinine. If you want to bop him, nail him for not expressing his reasoning why he thinks so well.

Anyway, if this is a farce, it's a helluva farce.

I never said his opinion was stupid and I made sure not define courage in my post because I know that people would think that I am wrong and it would be awfully hypocritical if I did. I just meant that it was kind of inappropriate and that he is kinda forcing ideals on this person when he doesnt know the details.

hsin

Banned
ChocolateCupcakes said:
I just meant that it was kind of inappropriate and that he is kinda forcing ideals on this person when he doesnt know the details.

He wasn't forcing ideals on the person at all.

Wanace

Hahaha....I love this thread. And I love that USA Today took a quote from NeoGAF.

Fake or real, we're all going to die, and unless you can make a post on GAF from the pool of blood you're lying in after getting hit by a bus tomorrow, no one will much take notice.

I'm going to come in here and be all righteous for a moment.

While it's sad that this man has a terminal illness and is dying, wishes unfulfilled and all, the fact is that you can't save everyone and people die every minute of every day.

I can't help but notice the double standards: all these people spending so much of their time, attention and effort to appease this one man's inevitable last moments.

Meanwhile there are children in poverty stricken regions who suffer from simple infections that some simple antibiotics or other medicine could cure if they actually had any available.
They die or have said infection rot away half of their face (google can help you find what I'm talking about) for example, when it could so easily have been avoided.

I think that's a lot more tragic than a terminal illness taking someones life.

It's painful to think of though, and most people choose not to, or at least not long enough to let it sink in.

Why do they choose to empathise more with this man? I don't know, perhaps it's easier to project his fate upon themselves.

Just my two cents.

jaxword

SneakyStephan said:
I'm going to come in here and be all righteous for a moment.

While it's sad that this man has a terminal illness and is dying, wishes unfulfilled and all, the fact is that you can't save everyone and people die every minute of every day.

I can't help but notice the double standards: all these people spending so much of their time, attention and effort to appease this one man's inevitable last moments.

Meanwhile there are children in poverty stricken regions who suffer from simple infections that some simple antibiotics or other medicine could cure if they actually had any available.
They die or have said infection rot away half of their face (google can help you find what I'm talking about) for example, when it could so easily have been avoided.

I think that's a lot more tragic than a terminal illness taking someones life.

It's painful to think of though, and most people choose not to, or at least not long enough to let it sink in.

Why do they choose to empathise more with this man? I don't know, perhaps it's easier to project his fate upon themselves.

Just my two cents.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm currently working towards a degree in Med school so as to prove to myself I CAN make a difference in the world, even if it's only to save one life.

I fully agree that we can't save everyone. And I agree the world is a place full of complete assholes who only look out for themselves.

But I'd like to think that maybe there's a few good people out there worth fighting for, and the case of this guy brought those good people out.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
-COOLIO- said:
i dont think it had fake written all over it, nor do i think the folks making posters were completely doubtful of the possibility of it all being fake.

really i think its just good people trying to be good people despite what may be

I genuinely applaud this post.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
FTH said:
This isn't true at all!

two of your examples are not like the others.
maybe three.

jaxword said:
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm currently working towards a degree in Med school so as to prove to myself I CAN make a difference in the world, even if it's only to save one life.

I fully agree that we can't save everyone. And I agree the world is a place full of complete assholes who only look out for themselves.

But I'd like to think that maybe there's a few good people out there worth fighting for, and the case of this guy brought those good people out.
I don't think that was really his point so much as the reality that we could all be doing more to impact the lives of people who aren't in a terminal state. and there are many such people who could use our help.

So I suppose the question being asked is why do we provide more attention and emotion for a terminal man who is going to die than we do children who have entire lives they could lead with a little bit of our help?

jaxword

Dreams-Visions said:
I don't think that was really his point so much as the reality that we could all be doing more to impact the lives of people who aren't in a terminal state. and there are many such people who could use our help.

So I suppose the question being asked is why do we provide more attention and emotion for a terminal man who is going to die than we do children who have entire lives they could lead with a little bit of our help?

Probably the same reason why 10000 deaths overseas in a war is a statistic, but someone dying in your community really gets to you. The internet is a form of community as well, don't deny it has its own social bonds and sense of belonging for many people.

Dyno

Saw the beloved NeoGAF over at FOK News Channel. My jaw dropped and the search began. "Oh what a scoop I have - WHAT a scoop I have!" Did the search, shouldn't have even gotten my hopes up in retrospect. Heheh.

I dunno Electric Blue. Keith Olbermann is pretty spot on when it comes to picking out the worst type of people. This might stick. ; )

But the gold goes to the heartless souls who criticized the purportedly dying ‘reddit’ poster identifying himself as “Lucidending.” Never confirmed nor disproved, “Lucidending” claimed to have had it after six years of fighting lymphoma; had it with the pain, had it with the fear, had it with the burden to his family. So he was going to discontinue his treatment and make use of Oregon’s Death With Dignity laws to end his life – and interact online with those who had questions before that end came today.

And as USA TODAY reported:

One post on NeoGAF, a gaming site, said of Lucidending’s decision: “That’s not courage. Courage would be if he decided to live as long as possible despite the horrible pain.”

Not hard-hearted enough for you?

daffy

Banned
Dyno said:
Saw the beloved NeoGAF over at FOK News Channel. My jaw dropped and the search began. "Oh what a scoop I have - WHAT a scoop I have!" Did the search, shouldn't have even gotten my hopes up in retrospect. Heheh.

I dunno Electric Blue. Keith Olbermann is pretty spot on when it comes to picking out the worst type of people. This might stick. ; )
Looks like we have more damaging things to GAF's reputation than My Little Pony :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom