• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nimbus |OT| This ain't flying. This is falling with style

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Now on sale for just 5 bucks!! Save 50%

Welcome to the |Official Topic| of

ZIL1Z.png

Developer: noumenon Games
Publisher: Self published
Genre: Stylish 2D puzzle racer
Platform: PC, Steam
Release date: October 24, 2010
Price: $10

What is Nimbus? Why should I get it?

This is a 2D puzzle racer as the devs call it. It's a game where you control a ship (that doesn't actually fly) with the simple goal of going from beginning to end overcoming all kinds of obstacles while using the help of cannons and trampolines that guide you to your goal, in style. Nimbus is that video game where a small team came together and decided they want to make a video game. A simple concept put together with various objects being added along the way to make the game flow nicely until the end. Some old school game elements found it's way into the final product without actually being ripped off. Don't be fooled however, craftsmanship is at it's helm here and you'll appreciate the finer details in this making it one of the best games you've ever played in your whole lifetime. A video game made with a true vision. But hey, don't take my word for it. Watch the trailer on Steam's website and if that doesn't convince you, there's a free demo available too.

Bullet points!

- It's 10 dollars of indie creativity, so easily worth double that
- Metacritic score of 80 (Destructoid review 9 -> link <- read it)
- Great blend of arcade gaming and more in depth stuff
- Three classic levels of difficulty, although the Super Meat Boy fans will most likely find themselves more at home
- Customize your game experience to please more to your liking <-- Something I feel is going to be very important in games sooner or later
- If you're a scorewhore (which you should be) this has insane replay values
- 10 dollars
- Good music
- Features overworld
- You'll die, a lot
- Gamepad support

In conclusion

Play this if you like one of the following games:

Super Meat Boy, PixelJunk Shooter, Donkey Kong Country, Sonic The Hedgehog, Super Mario Bros.

If you don't like any of these games then get out!

02zp9.gif

KS2AH.gif

The Making of Nimbus
Download the soundtrack for free
Steam page

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Nice thread, glad you made it.

I liked the demo so I'll probably purchase this sometime soon.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Snuggler said:
Nice thread, glad you made it.

I liked the demo so I'll probably purchase this sometime soon.
Yup, this really flew under everyone's radar (including mine). Such a shame

Zomba13

I have to say, going by those .gifs I like what I see and free demo means I've got something to download :)

ghst

thanks for the laugh
this game is really fucking great. i picked it up on a whim during my end-of-steam-sale deep catalogue browse and have enjoyed it more than super meat boy so far.

it starts off much easier than smb, with more of a gentle, puzzle bent - but by the later stages you'll need bullet hell levels of dexterity to manoeuvre through some of the obstacles.

mandatory for aerophiles, necessary for fans of smb, recommended for anyone else. at very least ear-mark it for the next steam sale.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
ghst said:
this game is really fucking great. i picked it up on a whim during my end-of-steam-sale deep catalogue browse and have enjoyed it more than super meat boy so far.

it starts off much easier than smb, with more of a gentle, puzzle bent - but by the later stages you'll need bullet hell levels of dexterity to manoeuvre through some of the obstacles.

mandatory for aerophiles, necessary for fans of smb, recommended for anyone else. at very least ear-mark it for the next steam sale.
Yeah a Steam sale to 5 bucks would do this great, provided it gets pushed as much as possible. It also came out during the same time as SMB which probably overshadowed it big time

Salsa

Gonna get this soon.

Hope it goes on sale if only to boost sales, after the demo id say it deserves it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Wow. I've never heard of this before.

Those gifs look awesome. I'm gonna try the demo out.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I'd say playing with a controller is mandatory if you want the smoothest experience although analog sticks are worse than d-pad for me, so Dualshock3/Sixaxis is recommended

However WASD and analog can be mastered no prob within minutes :)

Tunavi

Banned
Never heard of this but wow, those GIF's look awesome, I gotta check out this game.

Wait...No Mac Support :(

I'm so interested that I'm gonna download the demo on a school PC anyway, I love Super Meat Boy.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
50% off ($5.00/£2.99) on steam. i expect another 9 pages by the time i wake up tomorrow.

Flambe

I saw 'Super Meat Boy' and some gifs, skimmed to bottom of thread not really looking at posts and bought game. I'm way too easy sometimes, but it looks great =p

sambo

Neo Member
Bought. No way can it be better than Super Meat Boy though!

Anyone else finding them buying every indie/casual game because of this "steam TV" mode thats incoming?

sambo said:
Bought. No way can it be better than Super Meat Boy though!

Anyone else finding them buying every indie/casual game because of this "steam TV" mode thats incoming?

What's Steam TV?

Anyway, I noticed this on the Steam sale yesterday, and downloaded the demo. I'll check it out later. It certainly looks good enough to warrant the sale price.

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
I really enjoyed this game. It has secret exits that lead to alternative paths on the world map, collectable coins that require skill to get (instead of a walkthrough to guide you to some hidden spot in the corner of the map) and time trials. What's there not to love.

Didn't like it more than Super Meat Boy though, but it's quite different and doesn't require that much skill or persistence if you just want to go through all the levels.

Also keep in mind that the game has significantly more levels than the information on Steam implies. There are 67 levels (I think, I did a quick count), while Steam mentions "over 50", and that doesn't include the free Christmas update and
the scrapyard, which you unlock after beating the final level
/

epmode

So I installed it. Good fun! At first glance, it looked like it could use an analog controller but I quickly realized that there's no point.

Broseybrose

Bought. The gameplay looks like it could have made it a legendary game, if it released back in the 8-bit or 16-bit days.

Either way, I cant wait to play it. It looks like so much FUN FUN FUN!

Mrbob

I picked this up after seeing some recommendations on here and people playing it on my Steam friends list. Cool little game. I do have a question though. Is there a guide which tells me what the different ships and upgrades do?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I completely missed any mention or notice of this game, thanks Teetris. You convinced me to get what is now third favourite Stream game (Super Meat Boy and Portal beat it out).

I really want a portable version for 3DS or something though, would just be perfect.

1-D_FTW

Okay. I officially love this game. I said this in the Steam thread, but I'll repeat it: For some reason, this game reminds me a lot of Uniracers. It has completely different mechanics, but in a way it's the spiritual successor to that game.

epmode said:
So I installed it. Good fun! At first glance, it looked like it could use an analog controller but I quickly realized that there's no point.

Yeah. I've been playing this on my HDTV with a 360 controller. Analog is pretty bad. The d-pad (ack!) is much better.

Davidion

Some of the special stages in stage ONE are fucking cranked up on the difficulty scale.

How the shit were you supposed to know about the special exit in 2-1 without some help? LOL

Game is no joke. Unlike Meat boy where the scale's cranked to eleven from the get go, this game tosses a lot of variety in; casual plays get the direct path, hardcore people can hunt down the side paths.

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
Mrbob said:
I picked this up after seeing some recommendations on here and people playing it on my Steam friends list. Cool little game. I do have a question though. Is there a guide which tells me what the different ships and upgrades do?

It's all cosmetic.

1-D_FTW

Davidion said:
Some of the special stages in stage ONE are fucking cranked up on the difficulty scale.

How the shit were you supposed to know about the special exit in 2-1 without some help? LOL

Game is no joke. Unlike Meat boy where the scale's cranked to eleven from the get go, this game tosses a lot of variety in; casual plays get the direct path, hardcore people can hunt down the side paths.

Must have missed those. Right now I'm playing through the "Christmas" world
betwen 2 and 3
and have gotten some 5/10 difficulty levels and I'm beginning to sweat. The 10/10 levels are going to destroy me.

Davidion

1-D_FTW said:
Must have missed those. Right now I'm playing through the "Christmas" world
betwen 2 and 3
and have gotten some 5/10 difficulty levels and I'm beginning to sweat. The 10/10 levels are going to destroy me.

There's something up with the rating system in this game...unless those later levels are THAT hard.

When you find 1-7c, you'll see that it's a 3/10 difficulty level. That is horse shit. There's no way that that's not at LEAST 5/10.

Love the game, but it might very well short out my gaming fuses like SMB did.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Moobabe said:
About to crack open the demo - any tips?
Only tip I can think of is play with a controller :)

KenOD said:
I completely missed any mention or notice of this game, thanks Teetris. You convinced me to get what is now third favourite Stream game (Super Meat Boy and Portal beat it out).

I really want a portable version for 3DS or something though, would just be perfect.
No prob. Yeah a 3DS version I'd buy for 40$ no prob. 3D and the analog slider would give this a nice touch

Azure J

Game looks awesome. Will definitely add to my steadily growing list of PC games I will get when I get myself a new laptop. =D

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
Mrbob said:
Ok good to know thanks. Oh man I spent around a half hour trying out different combinations to see if things worked differently.

Yeah, not including any statistics would have been a major design flaw in a game with such a focus on time trials.

==

And as for the difficulty level, I never felt that the game got too hard. Maybe it's wiser to let the alternative paths be for now and progress through the worlds.

dejan

Nice idea, terrible execution. Controls are infuriating (keyboard or gamepad, it doesn't matter). I never felt I'm in control of anything.

Top Bottom