• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play.com security breach

Erebus

I just received this email from Play.com (UK e-shop):

Dear Customer,

Email Security Message

We are emailing all our customers to let you know that a company that handles part of our marketing communications has had a security breach. Unfortunately this has meant that some customer names and email addresses may have been compromised.

We take privacy and security very seriously and ensure all sensitive customer data is protected. Please be assured this issue has occurred outside of Play.com and no other personal customer information has been involved.

Please be assured we have taken every step to ensure this doesn’t happen again and accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused some of you.

Should I be worried?

EDIT:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-22-play-com-warns-of-security-breach

I read the email I was sent too, from what they say it's just our email and name? long as passwords are ok but i'm changing mine for the better anyway.

moojito

Not sure how they can "ensure it doesn't happen again" unless they stop using other companies for their stuff.

DarkUSS said:
Should I be worried?
Your email address might be in the hands of spammers, but I don't think it's anything worse than that.

Still, I'd appreciate a £5 voucher or something :)

EDIT: This has already happened, by the way. Deleting your account/email/etc now isn't going to have any effect. All that's happened is that the company that deals with Play.com's marketing emails has been hacked, which means all they'll have is email addresses. As I understand it, anyway.

Ark

Even more reason to justify my use of Amazon over Play (Yes, I'm fully aware this could happen to Amazon too).

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Well I've just checked my e-mail and I'm fucking annoyed. I've had no unsolicited e-mail on this particular email account in the three years I've been using it but today I've started to get random spam and phishing mails. I'm fairly certain it's not a coincidence.

Seems to be a 3rd party error and they have sent the email to everyone effected (IE YOU). It's not a security breach or they would of sent an email out to everyone.

NekoFever

I'm a regular customer on Play and haven't had this email...

I have given up on my lovely spam-free existence since my address got into the wild thanks to those useless cunts at Gawker, though, so it can't get any worse.

Andrefpvs

This ought to teach me to not tick that "Would you like us to share your data so you can receive awesome information and sometimes (read: never) discounts?" box.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Ah, good this isn't too bad. Also good I'm not using my main email for Play :)

Love their service so they still got my support

Plasma

Banned
Just got one of these too, as long as passwords, credit/debit cards information hasn't been taken it isn't too bad I guess.

Erebus

I just received an update on the story:
Dear Customer,

As a follow up to the email we sent you last night, I would like to give you some further details. On Sunday the 20th of March some customers reported receiving a spam email to email addresses they only use for Play.com. We reacted immediately by informing all our customers of this potential security breach in order for them to take the necessary precautionary steps.

We believe this issue may be related to some irregular activity that was identified in December 2010 at our email service provider, Silverpop. Investigations at the time showed no evidence that any of our customer email addresses had been downloaded. We would like to assure all our customers that the only information communicated to our email service provider was email addresses. Play.com have taken all the necessary steps with Silverpop to ensure a security breach of this nature does not happen again.

We would also like to reassure our customers that all other personal information (i.e. credit cards, addresses, passwords, etc.) are kept in the very secure Play.com environment. Play.com has one of the most stringent internal standards of e-commerce security in the industry. This is audited and tested several times a year by leading internet security companies to ensure this high level of security is maintained. On behalf of Play.com, I would like to once again apologise to our customers for any inconvenience due to a potential increase in spam that may be caused by this issue .

Best regards,

John

John Perkins
CEO
Play.com

offshore

Scammers wouldn't get much use out of my debit card even if they were compromised. Pennies on there....pennies I tell you.

shahkur

Seems like the website is being hammered atm.

Why, other than this, what else has happened?

I dont seem to have the email from Play. I hope what happened to that other UK website (Cant mention?) doesn't happen to Play. ATM I have 3rd Birthday preordered with Play.

Top Bottom