• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 dropped to $20, and you really should consider buying it

I know, the music rhythm game genre is dead. You are sick of Guitar Hero style games. This was made clear when Rock Band 3 came out and totally fucking tanked.

But I implore you, buy Rock Band 3 for the $20 they are now asking for it. You have a plastic guitar just sitting there, collecting dust. This isn't "just another installment" like Warriors of Rock was for Guitar Hero. This is the swan song for the genre and Harmonix knew it.

The graphics look better than ever. The interface is better than ever. It has over 80 songs on disc. All your Rock Band DLC works with it, and you can import all your on disc music. All the plastic instruments you already sunk a ton of money in work with it, never mind the new stuff like the keyboard and Squier. Plus the game is still getting DLC support.

I'm not even a music game nut, but I picked it up and love it. If you have any fond memories of Guitar Hero or Rock Band, give it a shot. Then you can write-off the genre forever.

Amazon
Best Buy (it's backordered on the website so just walk into the store and buy one; they have stacks of unsold copies just sitting on the shelf)

Proven

Getting.

I only held off before because I didn't want to pay $60 when all three other members of my band had it. So I just rented it from Gamefly for a month during winter break.

Still the best music game out there, and the biggest catalog of music. There is at least one song for every musical taste out there available for DLC on this game.

I approve of this thread. It is sad to see such a fantastic game bomb, but Harmonix has been fantastic in their DLC for the last three and a half years. It will be a sad day for me when the DLC well dries up.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The flip side is that I bought the guitar and the keyboard and barely play it anymore because it's more of the same. They burned out all the good songs in the first two games and they haven't really bothered upgrading the classics with pro guitar or key support.

I do agree if you want a shell to use to access songs you might have, RB3 is mostly better than RB2 at least.

tearsofash

Rock Band 3 is amazing compared to Rock Band 1 and 2. Even though I didn't think they could do much better than 2, they did.

How are they keyboards, anyways? I heard they are terrible if you already know how to play keyboards.

I have a bunch of music game-related stuff sitting in my basement unused. I bought Rock Band 2 when all my friends were in the same area and had free time, and we used to get together and play it. Six months after purchase we all split up and now I don't ever use it at all.

If I had friends around I would get it to help out Harmonix because Harmonix is awesome, but I just know this would collect dust along with the plastic instruments.

MrSerrels

No series this generation has brought me more joy than Rock Band.

I support this movement. Even thought I barely played Rock Band 3.

Just got this at Best Buy. Gonna grab the keyboard when it eventually drops, too.

Would also love to get the Pro Guitar, but I'm not sure that price is coming down anytime soon.

Good times ahead either way.

DJ_Lae

tearsofash said:
Rock Band 3 is amazing compared to Rock Band 1 and 2. Even though I didn't think they could do much better than 2, they did.

How are they keyboards, anyways? I heard they are terrible if you already know how to play keyboards.

I'm enjoying the keyboard stuff, but if you already know how to play their version of the note highway is beyond maddening.

Because you know if you had regular notation you could nail a song 100% without even trying, only you have to learn the game's ass-backwards way of displaying two full octaves.

Raistlin

tearsofash said:

Not sure where you heard the keyboard sucks. It's a decent MIDI controller.

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks for the heads up. I only play drums. I play "real" piano/keyboard so I'm not sure if I would like the electronic piano thing unless it dropped in price as well. I do have a full-sized MIDI keyboard but I don't know if there's a way to make MIDI work with the Wii version.

Does anyone have advice for a reasonably priced drum upgrade to get the extra cymbals? I have the Rock Band 2 Wii drum kit.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
It is indeed the best music game ever, and the improvements with the interface, library sorting, etc. are awesome, but if you never liked music games or were sick of them, it probably won't change your mind. It's a great evolution, but not a revolution.

The cymbals really make the drums so much more fun, though.

Blizzard said:
Thanks for the heads up. I only play drums. I play "real" piano/keyboard so I'm not sure if I would like the electronic piano thing unless it dropped in price as well. I do have a full-sized MIDI keyboard but I don't know if there's a way to make MIDI work with the Wii version.

Does anyone have advice for a reasonably priced drum upgrade to get the extra cymbals? I have the Rock Band 2 Wii drum kit.
Just buy the rock band 3 pro cymbal pack and you will be fine.

zeelman

Wow, this dropped in price faster than I thought it would. It was still $50 last week when I was at Target. I'll have to pick it up.

lupinko

epmode said:
So is this playable on a JPN console? I'm pretty sure the other two games aren't.

I don't know about 360, but PS3 is region free. I played RB1&2 on my JPN 60GB fat just fine.

Only buy it if you're willing to invest $120 in buying 60 songs that are fun to play to make up for the setlist on disc having less than 5.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Cool. I was damn near obsessed with Rock Band for a couple years but I haven't touched it in awhile. Both my drums and guitar controller broke, so even with a drop like this I still have to buy new hardware :(.

I do wanna play it though. T.Hanks for the heads up, I'll probably order one anyways for my PS3.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
I don't see how anyone could complain about the music library recently. They put Imagine and London Calling up in the past few months for christsake.

Hell I may buy RB: Green Day for some of the stuff on there eventually. Mostly for Dookie.

Got the keyboard bundle at launch and put a grand total of an hour into it before selling it off.

The genre no longer does anything for me.

And yes, the Rock Band 3 setlist is as poor as all hell.

Worst setlist in any music game I've ever played, but if you're sticking with dlc they pretty much force you to buy this so you may as well get it now if you don't already have it.

bubnbob

Banned
I'll wait for you to give it away in one of your free for alls.

Or we can save us the trouble and send me a copy

turnbuckle

Will wait for it to be <$20 with free Amazon Prime shipping. No way I'd pay for shipping or step foot into a Best Buy for this game (and I have hundred$ worth of DLC from RB2).

mclaren777

I want to buy this because it's cheap (I'm a sucker for a good sale) but RB2 is still sitting in its shrinkwrap even after all these years.

Blueblur1

Let me be one of the few positive posters in this thread and say that I am picking this up from Best Buy tomorrow. I still have my RB 2 guitar but I've been mulling over getting the Squier. :)

tokkun

Then it will be widely available for < $10 used in a couple days. I bought a Like New copy for $8 shipped this morning.

KaYotiX

Banned
I may have to buy another copy because mine is cracked in the middle just a little bit. Since it's installed it shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully it holds out lol

Top Bottom