• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 dropped to $20, and you really should consider buying it

tmarques said:
How's it the fault of the game that it doesn't match your taste in music?

It's not a matter of "taste" it's a matter of providing a fun experience on all instruments like GH2, Rock Band 1, etc

ElNarez

Banned
toymachine said:
It's not a matter of "taste" it's a matter of providing a fun experience on all instruments like GH2, Rock Band 1, etc

tee hee you think RB1's tracklist was fun on all instruments. I know I think all RB games have great tracklists, but this is a fucking lie.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
butter_stick said:
The only RB game with a good setlist is The Beatles: Rock Band.

Which is, not so shockingly, the best thing to come out of the music game craze. What a wonderful game.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
ElNarez said:
tee hee you think RB1's tracklist was fun on all instruments. I know I think all RB games have great tracklists, but this is a fucking lie.
But it was. :D

butter_stick said:
The only RB game with a good setlist is The Beatles: Rock Band.

Really? I like the Beatles, but their RB tracks are boring as hell to play. Maybe in Lefty Mode they'd offer some challenge...

Leondexter said:
Really? I like the Beatles, but their RB tracks are boring as hell to play. Maybe in Lefty Mode they'd offer some challenge...

The fact you're playing The Beatles makes all the songs fun.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
ElNarez said:
Sabotage on guitar. Thank you good night.
I love playing that song on Expert. You should have said Seven and you would have had a better argument.

ElNarez

Banned
Rewrite said:
I love playing that song on Expert. You should have said Seven and you would have had a better argument.

Seven on expert guitar. Still thank you. Still good night.

Unless you mean fun on all instruments when all instruments are played at the same time in the context of band play. Then pretty much every song they have on every tracklist of every game is fun on all instruments.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
ElNarez said:
Unless you mean fun on all instruments when all instruments are played at the same time in the context of band play. Then pretty much every song they have on every tracklist of every game is fun on all instruments.
No. I agree with toymachine. RB 1's setlist was great for all instruments. Sure, it had some stinkers like Vagiant, but the good outweighs the bad.

butter_stick said:
The fact you're playing The Beatles makes all the songs fun.

Not for me. I found out a long time ago that plenty of my favorite songs make lousy Rock Band tracks. And that definitely includes tons of Beatles stuff.

SlickVic

Amazon price matched, so ordered a copy. Been a long time since I really played a GH/RB game, so will be interesting to see how much I suck on Guitar now.

tygertrip

CartridgeBlower said:
Does anyone here use the Pro guitar? The real one, I mean, with the actual frets and strings?

If so, what's your take on it?

I have the Squire. It is incredible. I was prepared to be disappointed, but it absolutely blew me away. I have been playing
guitar for 18 years, and, IMO, this is the best innovation in guitar gear since the fuzz pedal. I actually just spent 20 minutes typing up the pros and cons, and how it exceeded my expectations, hit the wrong button, and lost the whole goddamn thing. I'm not going to rewrite it, I want to play some Crysis 2 before I go to bed. I'll be happy to answer any questions anyone has about it though. I can only speak from the perspective of an experienced player, however. I have no idea how it would be for someone who has never touched a real guitar before the Squire. In short, for learning songs by rote, and for timing, it is a wonderful tool. It is also great fun to play for score with it. I think if someone was learning how to play from scratch though, this would, by no means, take the place of a teacher. As a supplement though, it would be terrific.
As for me, I already know how to play, and it removes 90% (pulling numbers out of my ass here) of the tedium of memorizing songs. As far as I am concerned, Harmonix and Fender are gods... my two favorite things in the world, after my kids, have finally been combined! Video games and (real) guitar! Notice I didn't mention my wife there, heh.
Tygertrip

EYEL1NER

For everyone wanting a deal on the keyboard, it's not much, but MadCatz is selling the keyboard with the keyboard stand for $79.99, but if you use the code 'Spring11' you can get 10% off and free shipping.
Like I said, not much of a deal, but it might be good enough for some of you. I jumped on a similar deal back in December.

Nekofrog

Banned
tygertrip said:
I have the Squire. It is incredible. I was prepared to be disappointed, but it absolutely blew me away. I have been playing
guitar for 18 years, and, IMO, this is the best innovation in guitar gear since the fuzz pedal. I actually just spent 20 minutes typing up the pros and cons, and how it exceeded my expectations, hit the wrong button, and lost the whole goddamn thing. I'm not going to rewrite it, I want to play some Crysis 2 before I go to bed. I'll be happy to answer any questions anyone has about it though. I can only speak from the perspective of an experienced player, however. I have no idea how it would be for someone who has never touched a real guitar before the Squire. In short, for learning songs by rote, and for timing, it is a wonderful tool. It is also great fun to play for score with it. I think if someone was learning how to play from scratch though, this would, by no means, take the place of a teacher. As a supplement though, it would be terrific.
As for me, I already know how to play, and it removes 90% (pulling numbers out of my ass here) of the tedium of memorizing songs. As far as I am concerned, Harmonix and Fender are gods... my two favorite things in the world, after my kids, have finally been combined! Video games and (real) guitar! Notice I didn't mention my wife there, heh.
Tygertrip

How is the playability on it? The action/intonation? If you're playing a song that's not in standard EADGBe, does it throw you off to hear those notes coming from the guitar when the song is in a different tuning?

I ask because as a guitarist, these things could throw me off. I'm used to playing professional instruments of the highest quality, and the idea of going to a Squier (of all cheap brands) for this makes me doubtful.

Z_Y

Just a heads up...bought this for $17.99 used at Gamestop tonight. Canceled my Amazon order. This a weird price drop/sale.

rObit

Banned
Went to Best Buy and picked it up. Having a blast with it so far. Tracklist seems solid, and the sheer number of songs on disk definitely made it worth the $20. Thanks for brining it to my attention; it'll be fun having a music game back in my rotation :)

AMUSIX

OK, my wife and I just finished up a 35 song set where we were singing duets/harmonies...

I'd say the vocals are largely overlooked, but this was one of the best nights I've had with this game (and I've had a lot of great play sessions with it).

Stand-out tracks were: Space Oddity, Paradise by the Dashboard Lights, We Belong, Airplanes, Obsession, Small Axe, and Lay Your Hands On Me...though, honestly, there were a ton of great songs.

So my suggestion would be to go buy the game for $20 and buy the Lips 2-mic bundle for another $25 and just have an awesome karaoke game.

Nekofrog said:
How is the playability on it? The action/intonation? If you're playing a song that's not in standard EADGBe, does it throw you off to hear those notes coming from the guitar when the song is in a different tuning?

I ask because as a guitarist, these things could throw me off. I'm used to playing professional instruments of the highest quality, and the idea of going to a Squier (of all cheap brands) for this makes me doubtful.

The Squire has a string mute instead of a pick-up near the neck. It's just a pad that pops up and rests against the strings. Allows you to play without hearing the strums from the guitar (so you don't have to keep retuning to match each song's shift in pitch or alternate tunings).

Also, on the keyboard...I've played on five different Madcatz keyboards and three fullsized keyboards through the midi adapter, and have never had it not register a note I've played. If anything, the Madcatz keyboard is a bit too sensitive, and will trigger notes at slight presses. This is generally a good thing, as it requires you to be accurate, but it also means I break my streak a lot due to sloppy movements.

As for the bitching about notation for keys and guitar and whatever else, I'd just say that this is a game, and once you learn how to play it, the notation works well because it's consistent...all it is is like teaching a guitarist who's only ever seen TAB how to read notation. Personally, I'd prefer the vocals show the actual notes rather than a relative pitch line, but I understand the need for accessibility.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think it's because for a learner, all the new notation is useless outside of the game so as a teaching tool it can only go so far.

jgkspsx

Come on, people. $20. (OK, plus $10+ in export fees for older games.)

Even if you just use it for the drum trainer and to play your old tracks, it's more than worth it.

tygertrip

Nekofrog said:

Well, it is a Squire. I can't imagine choosing it over my Strat or any of my other guitars. It can't touch those. As far as beginner guitars go, however, it blows away any of those $100 guitar/amp combos you find at Wal-Mart, Target, and such. The action and intonation is exactly what you'd expect from a factory set-up guitar, not that great. For RB3 though, it is more than adequate.The good news is you can have that set up to your liking, just like any other guitar. If this was my only real guitar, I'd be having it set up properly.

I was worried about the pitches for songs with alt tunings throwing me off also. Fortunately, there is a block that you can raise on the Squire that mutes the strings and makes this a non-issue. If you are playing for score, you have to use the mute, else it'll register a lot of false notes (still works surprisingly well with it off though).

Another thing to remember, is this guitar works as a midi controller, can't wait until I have time to try it with Reason! I only have one real complaint about this guitar... the instructions say to only use .09 strings with it, and I am used to .10s. Oh well, its worth it.

Oni Jazar

Anyone thinking about the Pro-Guitar Squier definitely needs to check out this in-depth review:

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85NomT87i7g
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxvPun0-J-g
Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTSQd-hh3NQ

I bought the guitar as a relative guitar noob and I'm adoring it. I practice on it a little every single day, sometimes with RB3, sometimes with online tutorials and videos @ JustinGuitar.com sometimes just googling a song tab and trying on my own (Diablo Tristram theme!). It's been so much fun having it connect to the game giving me tons of songs to learn and lessons to complete. Anyone who has any interest in learning guitar and likes Rock Band it should be a no brainer.

Sax_Man

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:
It's like you don't purchase DLC music at all, and only played the game for 10 minutes.

I played the game plenty. Ultimately it boils down to the fact that the set list sucks, and the set list is the beating heart of every single music game. There's nothing really "wrong" with RB3 except for the songs in the game - everything is workable. However, music games live and die by the music.

RB1/2 are my two favorite music games of all time. Both games display what Harmonix does best in the plastic guitar genre - that is, choosing songs that work well within the Rock Band framework and are fun to play. Guitar Hero 1/2 and Rock Band 1/2 introduced me to tons of new music that I had never heard before, and that I found awesome to listen to and to play. RB3... not so much.

Why should I have to purchase DLC and spend more money to get the full enjoyment from the game? :/

Proven

Sax_Man said:
I played the game plenty. Ultimately it boils down to the fact that the set list sucks, and the set list is the beating heart of every single music game. There's nothing really "wrong" with RB3 except for the songs in the game - everything is workable. However, music games live and die by the music.

RB1/2 are my two favorite music games of all time. Both games display what Harmonix does best in the plastic guitar genre - that is, choosing songs that work well within the Rock Band framework and are fun to play. Guitar Hero 1/2 and Rock Band 1/2 introduced me to tons of new music that I had never heard before, and that I found awesome to listen to and to play. RB3... not so much.

Why should I have to purchase DLC and spend more money to get the full enjoyment from the game? :/

I don't want to say the set list sucks, because there are many people that are in love with it.

What I will say is that the reason I dislike is for the same reason I didn't like Guitar Hero World Tour and Band Hero's setlists; they tried to appeal to too many people. Except this time they also went and grabbed a lot of oldies that a lot of people in this generation would have never heard or cared about unless they grew up with their parents playing it.

That's it. The setlist was fine if you planned on using DLC, but most of the people I see with no complaint are older people who either already love the songs on the disc or plan to get loads of DLC anyway or already have it as some kind of regular activity among family and friends (with the person often being head of the household or something). It makes sense for them.

For everyone else, you're not going to light us on fire with this disc. And everyone was getting fed up with more plastic instruments.

Marvie_3

Banned
Just picked up RB3 for $20 but I use the GH drums instead. Accidentally broke the pedal when I moved to my current apartment. What's the best replacement pedal that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg?

Daigoro

AMUSIX said:
OK, my wife and I just finished up a 35 song set where we were singing duets/harmonies...

I'd say the vocals are largely overlooked, but this was one of the best nights I've had with this game (and I've had a lot of great play sessions with it).

Stand-out tracks were: Space Oddity, Paradise by the Dashboard Lights, We Belong, Airplanes, Obsession, Small Axe, and Lay Your Hands On Me...though, honestly, there were a ton of great songs.

So my suggestion would be to go buy the game for $20 and buy the Lips 2-mic bundle for another $25 and just have an awesome karaoke game.

good man.

but truthfully, its all about double/triple harmonies while playing instruments.

Small Axe is so good too. i cant get that song out my head for a week after playing it. that was an amazing Marley pack that came out.

Marvie_3 said:
Just picked up RB3 for $20 but I use the GH drums instead. Accidentally broke the pedal when I moved to my current apartment. What's the best replacement pedal that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg?

RB3 one i guess? whichever offical one that has the metal plate on the top. cheap enough and lasts a hell of a lot longer than the original ones.

Atomski

Ive been playing this with GH2 guitars.. Im starting to notice they are extremely loud. (squeaky and clanky) Im wondering if it is worth it to upgrade to the new guitars?

Top Bottom