• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 dropped to $20, and you really should consider buying it

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
The Lamonster said:
Wait a second, it costs $5 to export my RB1 songs and $10 to export my RB2 songs?

What a gyp.

I knew writing that list would be helpful to somebody.

Paying for songs in the export is more of a convenience thing. If you are already sick of RB1 or RB2 songs then it may not be worth the money, however if you are looking to get a huge library of songs to play in RB3 quick there is no better way.

Z_Y said:
And did I read the above post right...it is $10 per song from Lego RB? lol...surely that's a typo.

It's a typo whoops. It is $10 for the entire game to export (all 45 songs)

Again as I said above it really is just a convenience thing. For me personally there is something really cool about having hundreds of songs at my disposal when I have RB parties. Some people will see that differently though and I can understand it.

heyf00L

KaYotiX said:
Float and does it really matter?
Yes. Floating guitars look stupid. It's the only part of RB's visuals that bugs me. To finally be rid of it would be a big deal for me.

If I upgrade from RB2 to 3 I have to pay to export songs on top of buying RB3. I don't have the new fancy guitar, keyboard, or drums. So I need other incentives. Straps on the guitars would be a big one.

Xevren

I prefer actually looking at the notes when I play. The background could be filled with cartwheeling clowns and I wouldn't give a shit. Actually, I think I would prefer that.

Menelaus

Banned
Picked up RB3, and imported my RB1, RB2, and Country Music add-ons. Picked up the cymbal add-on as well, and can safely say that Pro Drums has gotten me back into the plastic instrument genre. Also impressed with how much of the DLC has been updated to include Pro instruments.

I'll likely pick up a keyboard when they get a little cheaper. Being able to play real guitar leaves me feeling ok with my regular 5 button plastic fantastic...I don't need to feel like I'm playing the real deal.

I have barely touched another instrument since I got the keyboard. With the Billy Joel packs, some Queen and random classics (Whitesnake, Procol Harum, Bonnie Tyler, Huey Lewis etc), I can even filter out anything without keys and still have 90+ songs to choose from. I also went from not ever having played piano to at least some basic understanding of the instrument, so it's certainly not useless.

And even without new songs and keyboard, RB3 is worth it for quick band changes and sorting options for the list.

Menelaus said:
Picked up RB3, and imported my RB1, RB2, and Country Music add-ons. Picked up the cymbal add-on as well, and can safely say that Pro Drums has gotten me back into the plastic instrument genre. Also impressed with how much of the DLC has been updated to include Pro instruments.

I'll likely pick up a keyboard when they get a little cheaper. Being able to play real guitar leaves me feeling ok with my regular 5 button plastic fantastic...I don't need to feel like I'm playing the real deal.

All songs since the start way back on RB1 and all DLC were programmed for Pro Drums, because they always wanted to add the extra symbols. So if you play drums, then the Pro mode should be heaven.

It's a real shame that the same can't be said for Pro Guitar and Keyboards. The Keyboard is fun, but you are stuck having to play only songs from RB3 and newer DLC. This is a problem when playing with friends because it limits your choices, I have over 300 songs now in RB3 thanks to exports plus DLC but only around 80 have keyboard support and a lot of those aren't really fun to play on the keys or only have small keys sections.

It's a fantastic game, but make sure you're not buying it just to play with the keys, or you might end up a little disappointed. Drummer's should instantly buy it, if they haven't upgraded from Rock Band 2 yet. They'd be crazy not to for that price.

Branson

I have Guitar Hero World Tour drums and guitar, and don't really want new plastic..are those still cross compatible?

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Branson said:
I have Guitar Hero World Tour drums and guitar, and don't really want new plastic..are those still cross compatible?

I wrote that long section on the last page just for you guys bro.

TL : DR version of the answer, (as long as we are talking about 360 or PS3) yes they will work just fine on 'normal' instrument mode.

Branson

Sp3eD said:
I wrote that long section on the last page just for you guys bro.

TL : DR version of the answer, (as long as we are talking about 360 or PS3) yes they will work just fine on 'normal' instrument mode.
Oops. I knew I should have read back a couple of pages. Anyway thanks and yes it's for 360.

Also nice write up :).

Z_Y

thiscoldblack said:
Amazon is once again selling it for $20 (360, PS3). I've just ordered a copy with 2-day free shipping a few minutes ago.
Thanks for the heads up. Added a $7 like new copy of prey for free super saver shipping. It was a good day.

Sp3eD said:
Pro Keys - Require either the official RB3 keyboard OR a midi adapter with a supported Midi Keyboard
Wait, what if I have a USB keyboard controller, like one of the M-Audio KB's? Do I still need an adapter or can I plug it right in? The MadCatz keyboard with only 25 keys looks pretty shitty, especially for $75 or whatever it is now. Doesn't really matter if you're only playing RB with it I guess, but for a solid Garageband keyboard controller I can get more for less money.

Fong Ghoul said:
Wait, what if I have a USB keyboard controller, like one of the M-Audio KB's? Do I still need an adapter or can I plug it right in? The MadCatz keyboard with only 25 keys looks pretty shitty, especially for $75 or whatever it is now. Doesn't really matter if you're only playing RB with it I guess, but for a solid Garageband keyboard controller I can get more for less money.

any and all MIDI keyboards require the adapter.

heyf00L

Xevren said:
I prefer actually looking at the notes when I play. The background could be filled with cartwheeling clowns and I wouldn't give a shit. Actually, I think I would prefer that.
Sure, but I play with friends taking turns. When it's not my turn I see those floating guitars. When I close my eyes they are still floating in my mind. With no straps to bind them, they float wherever they will. Guitars were not meant for such freedom.

I've been waiting for the game to drop in price. Will the price be dropping at gamestop soon too? Still have a gift card that a family member got me for christmas.

clav

Just to chime about my experience playing the Rock Band keyboard.

I have to say, the way they notate the keys for the pro keys mode is ass backwards. What were they thinking? While you will eventually learn the right notes, I just didn't like how I couldn't pick up the game in a few seconds considering I've been playing piano all my life. The clusterfuck notation just makes it impossible to learn, and I'd rather print out real music or learn the song by trial and error on a real piano at that point.

Also, the keyboard doesn't like the way I play. Sometimes, notes register, and sometimes they do not.

Clicked into thread, purchased RB3. Thanks for the heads up OP. I've been putting it off for no particular reason. Now contemplating purchase of keyboard periph. Is it a must?
EDIT: /\ interesting. I'll try to live without it. Maybe pick it up at a later date.

Sax_Man said:
Sorry, but this game is terrible.

I have purchased nearly every installment of Guitar Hero and Rock Band, and RB3 is my absolute least favorite. Most of the songs chosen for this game aren't bad songs (although there are some incredibly bad songs in this game)... they're just bad songs for Rock Band. Many have long periods of time where a single instrument is not playing, and some completely exclude an instrument. Unacceptable, imo.

The menus and navigation are, for the most part, a step backwards. The animations feel stiff and repetitive. The only way the interface is slightly improved is with the tab at the bottom.

I was really looking forward to the addition of keyboard parts, but keyboard simply isn't as intuitive or fun as drums or guitar. The song selection for GOOD keyboard parts is incredibly limited as well.

A huge step backwards from RB2.

It's like you don't purchase DLC music at all, and only played the game for 10 minutes.

_dementia said:
Doesn't the game crash a lot too? A friend of mine had constant issues and would have to manually reboot his PS3 once or twice per play session.

Not since the patch was released. Crashes are now exceedingly rare for all users.

Also, LOL at the "omg get a real instrument already" comment(s). My sister plays guitar and drums, and I play piano. We still enjoy RB3 because a) it's fun and b) we can play with OTHER PEOPLE.

Mind you, we mostly play drums and vocals when we do play. Guitar-only folk might suffer a bit.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's true that there are only so many good songs. :lol

It's too bad the franchise died in Europe and Asia. Having more foreign language songs might have breathed some new life into the game.

Z_Y

I'm drooling over all the dlc. Billy Joel is a must for me although I may skip the piano pack because I have no keys. Bon Jovi GH looks to have a lot of repeats. Is Blaze of Glory and Bad Medicine in one or two or am I confusing RB with GH? I may just pick and choose a few songs from it. Need to pick up some points. I thought I swore this off years ago. :p

The Bon Jovi pack "updates" songs that were in older titles by adding keys and harmonies. But before you get excited, it costs the same as a regular song. So if you exported RB1/LRB, you'd see two versions of the same song.

Z_Y

The Broken Ska Record said:
The Bon Jovi pack "updates" songs that were in older titles by adding keys and harmonies. But before you get excited, it costs the same as a regular song. So if you exported RB1/LRB, you'd see two versions of the same song.
Thanks. I'll be skipping the updates then.

Man...I'd stab a dog in the heart for some Eagles. Only reason I never sold off GH world tour.

woodypop

A Human Becoming said:
If I can get the game with the keyboard for $60 I'm onboard.
kbcat.gif

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Emerson said:
Christ this is so fucking incorrect.

Almost everything about RB3 is far better than 2. There can be some criticisms made of the setlist, although there are a handful of great songs. But the overshell/menu changes are objectively better all around. This is not an opinion.
No he isn't. There's some stuff that I disagreed with, but I find most of the stuff he said to be correct. There are songs where you literally do nothing for minutes on certain instruments (especially the keyboard) on the setlist and even on the DLC that's been released. The Rock Band 3 setlist is great to listen, but they're not really fun to play on the game. Don't get me wrong, there are great tracks, but they're not great Rock Band songs. The overshell is probably the best feature because it makes everything convenient along with the vastly improved loading times it takes to play a song. Sorting options are also great too. Animations were a step backwards to me in my opinion. Sure, the characters models are more detailed and look slightly better, but the actual stage animations they do are worse than what was on RB 1/2 and the stages where you perform now look like complete shit for some reason (the only exception are the new two stages you play outdoors). The new "spade" challenges were some of the worst ideas Harmonix has ever come up with. They were not fun at all. Allowing you to choose your own setlist on the career was awesome compared to the pre-made repetitive setlists that were on RB2's World Tour. No Fail is also pretty good in the sense that I get to continue playing the song even if I'm failing out and the pause countdown innovation they stole from Guitar Hero was kickass.

Playing online is a mess too. In previous Rock Band games, it would take turns alternating between people on choosing a song...now EVERYONE that's playing has access in choosing whatever the hell they want...it's just a mess*. You'd also figure that they would somehow add a filter to show the only DLC you have in common with other people, but no. Not to mention you can't have certain instrument combinations (guitar, bass, and keys) because it doesn't work.

*the exception is if you're playing with friends.

RB 3 is still a great game however, but it does have it's share of flaws to me. I just don't like it when people dismiss criticism to a game they like. If it wasn't for the complaints, the unreadable transparent highway wouldn't have gotten fixed. Thank god for that.

tmarques

butter_stick said:
You didn't have to buy DLC for GH2 to be fun. If you have to buy DLC to enjoy RB3 that's the fault of the game.

How's it the fault of the game that it doesn't match your taste in music?

Top Bottom