• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 dropped to $20, and you really should consider buying it

xbhaskarx said:
Wait wait wait... JOY DIVISION??

I need more information on this asap.

Love Will Tear Us Apart hits today. Not JD but Blue Monday by New Order was among the first dlc tracks for RB3.

Rock Band 3 is greatest party game ever made imo.

jas0

Neo Member
If you're interested in Pro Guitar with the Squier --watch this review. I bought the Squier and I've gone through an amount of the lessons, so I'm just starting out. My only previous guitar experience is some chord fretting.
http://www.rockbandaide.com/11531/in-depth-rock-band-3-fender-squier-review-videos/

My favorite DLC so far has been the Paul McCartney and Wings pack.
http://www.rockbandaide.com/10446/d...ul-mccartney-siouxsie-the-banshees-inhabited/
Helen Wheels (ain't no body else gonna know the way she feeeels), Let Me Roll It (Pro Guitar support, keys), Band on the Run (studio version, keys are a lot of fun), and Maybe I'm Amazed.
+Harmonies, Pro keys

I've been playing using a real keyboard hooked up to the game with the MadCatz MIDI adapter with the game keyboard audio off and the keyboard volume up so you can hear what you play.

RB3 is pretty fucking awesome. You should all buy it. When the price of the keyboard drops, I'm buying that and going back for more (already went through the "career" on expert guitar and had to clear out more backlog). I loved the hell out of RB2, and RB3 is even better from a menu and playing standpoint.

RB is pretty much the perfect "pick up and play" game for me. I can just pick it up, play for about 30-45 minutes, feel great, then go to bed.

Sax_Man

Banned
Sorry, but this game is terrible.

I have purchased nearly every installment of Guitar Hero and Rock Band, and RB3 is my absolute least favorite. Most of the songs chosen for this game aren't bad songs (although there are some incredibly bad songs in this game)... they're just bad songs for Rock Band. Many have long periods of time where a single instrument is not playing, and some completely exclude an instrument. Unacceptable, imo.

The menus and navigation are, for the most part, a step backwards. The animations feel stiff and repetitive. The only way the interface is slightly improved is with the tab at the bottom.

I was really looking forward to the addition of keyboard parts, but keyboard simply isn't as intuitive or fun as drums or guitar. The song selection for GOOD keyboard parts is incredibly limited as well.

A huge step backwards from RB2.

careful

Question (too lazy to Google):

What would happen to the RB1 songs I exported to RB2? Would they also transfer to RB3 or I need to buy another export key again? And how much is the export key for RB2 to RB3?

Sax_Man said:

I have purchased nearly every installment of Guitar Hero and Rock Band, and RB3 is my absolute least favorite. Most of the songs chosen for this game aren't bad songs (although there are some incredibly bad songs in this game)... they're just bad songs for Rock Band. Many have long periods of time where a single instrument is not playing, and some completely exclude an instrument. Unacceptable, imo.

The menus and navigation are, for the most part, a step backwards. The animations feel stiff and repetitive. The only way the interface is slightly improved is with the tab at the bottom.

I was really looking forward to the addition of keyboard parts, but keyboard simply isn't as intuitive or fun as drums or guitar. The song selection for GOOD keyboard parts is incredibly limited as well.

Doesn't the game crash a lot too? A friend of mine had constant issues and would have to manually reboot his PS3 once or twice per play session.

Maddog

careful said:
Question (too lazy to Google):

What would happen to the RB1 songs I exported to RB2? Would they also transfer to RB3 or I need to buy another export key again? And how much is the export key for RB2 to RB3?

RB1 songs would work in RB3 without additional payment. As for RB2 to RB3 $10 IIRC.

[Exports]
If you've exported it (anything) once, that's all that's needed in all compatible games. There's a few more songs from the RB1 Export that don't work with RB3, which could only be explained as a licensing issue.

[crashing]
There's been a patch. 360 user here, and since the patch it hasn't ever crashed.

The character animation, specifically the drummer's, bothers me quite a lot.
What they've done with the DLC for RB3 has been largely a bore.

So is the band mode as cool as it was in #2?

ie I want to make a custom band again with our own logo and our own outfits etc. Can I still create a band and do the world tour thing again?

Maddog

The Lamonster said:
So is the band mode as cool as it was in #2?

ie I want to make a custom band again with our own logo and our own outfits etc. Can I still create a band and do the world tour thing again?

For the most part yes. The customization is all still there but the world tour stuff has been altered a bit.

Maddog said:
For the most part yes. The customization is all still there but the world tour stuff has been altered a bit.
There is also a 10 character limit per system account. If you have lots of friends that play the game, that could be problematic.

_dementia said:
There is also a 10 character limit per system account. If you have lots of friends that play the game, that could be problematic.
Nope, I just want to make a band with my girlfriend like we did in RB2. We each made a male and a female character so we had a 4-man band and it was a ton of fun.

Someone said the World Tour mode changed? Is there still a 'campaign' of sorts for custom bands?

DavidDayton said:
See, if they ever bothered to make "Classical Music Hero", they'd have my money.

Singstar just released a 5 song classical music pack. :)

There's nothing really holding Harmonix (or RBN 2.0 people) back on releasing some classical music (no licences for one!), except perhaps that they try almost too hard to make songs that can be played with all instruments. But I hope they will, especially now that I'm playing Pro Guitar.

However, I can't recommend Rockband 3 enough. I think everyone should just get it, no questions asked! You won't regret it!

DaBuddaDa

Since it seems like you can't find a plastic instrument for under $50+ anywhere, this isn't that great of a deal. If they wanted to sell me a bundle with a guitar, a keyboard and the game for say, $40, then I might consider it. The price of these stupid plastic instruments have skyrocketed since the days of GH1. This $150+ wireless gibson licensed crap is laughable.

Also, how do you import music from RB1 and RB2? And is there a way to re-download in bulk all the DLC I've purchased, or do I have to do them one at a time (I got a Slim recently).

Struct09 said:
Most of the songs export from RB2, it costs $10.

This is what I've been wondering about. My PS3 and all my games were stolen a few months back, but they left all my plastic instruments.

I've already purchased a ton of DLC for RB2 (and RBN songs) but hadn't replaced the disc. I just bought Beatles: Rock Band for $10 on the weekend, and was looking for a good deal on RB2.

I assume if I buy RB3, I'll still need to get my hands on a copy of RB2 in order to export the songs. Maybe I can borrow it from a friend. Any idea what songs aren't exportable?

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
jamesinclair said:
Sure Ill just go pick up a copy for my PS2 tomorrow.....

OH WAIT HARMONIX DOESNT LIKE US
I just got the game for the 360....thanks GAF. and to this person i cannot think of one new ps2 game lately even Sony don't make new ps2 games anymore why should HARMONIX . the ps2 is dead now.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Sax_Man said:

Christ this is so fucking incorrect.

Almost everything about RB3 is far better than 2. There can be some criticisms made of the setlist, although there are a handful of great songs. But the overshell/menu changes are objectively better all around. This is not an opinion.

Oni Jazar

I play RB3 just about every day thanks to the Squier.

Forget the button game.
rb3squier-9.jpg

Maddog

Lemmy Caution said:
This is what I've been wondering about. My PS3 and all my games were stolen a few months back, but they left all my plastic instruments.

I've already purchased a ton of DLC for RB2 (and RBN songs) but hadn't replaced the disc. I just bought Beatles: Rock Band for $10 on the weekend, and was looking for a good deal on RB2.

I assume if I buy RB3, I'll still need to get my hands on a copy of RB2 in order to export the songs. Maybe I can borrow it from a friend. Any idea what songs aren't exportable?

To export RB2 you need the unique ID code that games in the manual which can only be used once so if your friend has already exported you're out of luck.

Stackboy said:
I bought this on launch in Australia and love it. Only downside is we don't get access to RBN down here, but all the other DLC is top notch (still, I would kill for the Band of Horses and RX Bandits tracks to be available to a far south dweller like myself).
Is that for both 360 & PS3?

I have US version RB, I could not be bothered to wait for the UK release.

I only have 5 or 6 RBN songs but it sucks if it is restricted to only US.

We get RBN songs here in Europe as well, although I don't know if it is at the same frequency and I have a Playstation 3 so it may be even less. But we're always getting a few each week as far as I can remember.

DaBuddaDa said:
Since it seems like you can't find a plastic instrument for under $50+ anywhere, this isn't that great of a deal. If they wanted to sell me a bundle with a guitar, a keyboard and the game for say, $40, then I might consider it. The price of these stupid plastic instruments have skyrocketed since the days of GH1. This $150+ wireless gibson licensed crap is laughable.

You can get guitar hero instruments for next to nothing if you look for it. I've seen Guitar Hero World Tour full band kits for $70 new at retail (or used online), and that gives you a great guitar, drumkit and microphone right there. You should be able to get a guitar from somewhere next to for free if you're looking hard enough.

BigAT said:
How does World Tour mode function compared to 1 and 2? Can you complete it solo?

Yes, you can complete everything solo. I also like that you always get the choice between pre-selected songs, random specific genre songs, or, say custom 60s songs. Gives a lot of freedom into which songs you want to play on your 'tour'.

I've heard some people complain that the tour modes basically invite you to play at lower difficulty, because then it is easier to complete the challenges which are almost always related to high precision rather than difficulty. This is true, and although there is nothing wrong with being precise, they could have done more to give additional rewards for playing at a higher difficulty. I'm betting that for most people, it is all about playing songs, or playing songs with friends (although I'd love to play more with friends myself, I'm one step away from becoming a Rock Legend just through playing drums, guitar and bass by myself, and I'm still loving the game to bits).

EDIT: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003N5ZYOG/?tag=neogaf0e-20 <$90 for guitar, drumkit, microphone.

Merino

Nick Laslett said:
There has been so much DLC released since RB3 came out, even if you exclude RBN from the numbers, 180 songs have been released in the first 6 months, this is an average of 7.5 songs a week, with at least 2 Pro guitar songs. Every song has keyboards and Pro Drums. There are a total of 176 tracks with Pro Guitar/bass, 94 DLC tracks plus the RB3 on disc songs.

There was a splurge of legacy DLC that came out in October to clear the decks for the release of RB3, 32 songs were released. Unfortunately these don't have keyboards or Pro Guitar Mode, but they do represent a great last hurrah for the legacy DLC. The stand outs were the 8 song REM pack and 12 song Jim Hendrix pack.

So the main type of DLC since RB3 release has been classic rock. This can be broke into Greatest Hits and Full Albums/Album Tasters

Billy Joel, Bon Jovi, The Doors, Bee Gees, Queen, Johnny Cash, Bob Marley, Pat Benatar have all received the greatest hits treatment with packs of six songs or more. David Bowie recieved a five songs pack, Lynryd Skynyrd received a four songs pack.

For the albums we got full editions of John Lennon's Imagine and The Clash's London Calling. We got four tracks from Nine Inch Nails debut album Pretty Hate Machine. We got three tracks from Paul McCartney & Wings Band on The Run album.

New music DLC has definately suffered with RB3.

We got a good 6 pack for Linkin Park, Jimmy Eats World got a 3 pack, Sour Stone got a 3 pack, 1 song for Death Cab for Cutie, 1 song for Ok Computer,

The Valentine's Day pack was a special treat as we finally got some Jim Steinman in the game with Meat Loaf's Paradise by the Dashboard light and Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart, and also The Human League Don't You Want Me.

Other mainstream classics that made it into the game include The Police Every Breath You Take, New Order Blue Monday, Procul Harum A Whiter Shade of Pale, Bad Company Can't Get Enough, Santana Black Magic Women.

I use the http://www.rockbandaide.com/ site for my DLC needs, they have an embedded Grooveshark for hearing most DLC as it is announced, they then collect the links to thenewnoelisoncruz youtube page for his full band playthroughs. http://www.youtube.com/user/thenewnoelisoncruz

I haven't mentioned RBN as that is another can of worms for someone else to open.
All good and done there´s only three songs from The Doors that actually have Pro Guitar and none of those three songs are my favorites.
The fact that Soul Kitchen and Roadhouse Blues don´t have and most likely never will get Pro Guitar has annoyed me so deeply I won´t be dipping in.
It should have been like the Queen pack where all songs got the Pro Guitar.

Maddog said:
To export RB2 you need the unique ID code that games in the manual which can only be used once so if your friend has already exported you're out of luck.

So you need the code from the manual of RB2? Maybe I'll have to 'borrow' one from a game store, though I assume you also need the disc?

The Lamonster said:
Nope, I just want to make a band with my girlfriend like we did in RB2. We each made a male and a female character so we had a 4-man band and it was a ton of fun.

Someone said the World Tour mode changed? Is there still a 'campaign' of sorts for custom bands?
The Lamonster said:
Also, how do you import music from RB1 and RB2? And is there a way to re-download in bulk all the DLC I've purchased, or do I have to do them one at a time (I got a Slim recently).
Anyone?

Xevren

To import songs from RB 1 you need to do it from in game in RB 1 for a small fee. For RB 2 you need the manual code and you do it from RB 3. It costs something but I forget how much.

World Tour is gone and instead a challenge type mode is in place. I find it stupid, but I didn't like the world tour to begin with anyway.

The new campaign mode is great. You can usually get away with playing whatever songs you like by picking one of the genre playlists and just editing the filter.

BWT in RB2 is the worst music game single player of all time. RB3's is the best.

Xevren said:
To import songs from RB 1 you need to do it from in game in RB 1 for a small fee. For RB 2 you need the manual code and you do it from RB 3. It costs something but I forget how much.

World Tour is gone and instead a challenge type mode is in place. I find it stupid, but I didn't like the world tour to begin with anyway.

I guess this begs one more question, I already exported the songs from Rock Band 1 to work with RB2, will they be ready to go in RB3?

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Basic info.

Compatibility

Rock Band 1 - All DLC up to October 19th 2010 (Jimmy Eat World Pack) works.

Rock Band 2 - All DLC up to October 19th 2010 (Jimmy Eat World Pack) Works
All Rock Band Network songs up to Feb 15th, 2011 work

Rock Band 3 - Everything works no matter the song (unless Activision screwed it out of our hands like Dani California or Black Hole Sun)

Exports

NOTE: I left off the Wii because I have no experaince with the system in RB. Google some stuff if you want to find how to export.

Rock Band 1 - 55 songs out of 58 export for $5 (400 MS points). Simply place the RB1 disc in, make sure you have the latest patches for the game, then go to the extra's menu, then to disc export. Let the game copy the songs to the HD.

Rock Band 2 - 70 songs out of 84 export for $10 (800 MS Points). Put in the Rock Band 3 disc and go to the get more songs tab on main menu, then go to redeem code. Enter code off the back of the Rock Band 2 manual into that box. (NOTE: Some extra songs that were left out of this export were added in a FREE DLC pack late last year. Download that to get the bonus songs back. After that download the RB2 export jumps to 79 songs out of 84.)

Lego Rock Band - All songs from game export for $10. Go to http://www.rockband.com/lego-export and enter the code off your manual. Take the code given and redeem it in the normal Xbox or PS3 store. Once the key is downloaded, Put in L:RB , go into the store from the main menu. There should be an export songs option in the next menu. Click that option and pay the $10.

Green Day Rock Band - Thank god they simplified it a bit. All songs from game export for $10. Go into the GD RB, go to the store, go to export option then enter the code off the back of the manual. (NOTE : If you have Green Day Rock Band Plus the code in the manual will give you all the songs for free. If you can find that version for cheap buy it.)

AC/DC and All other track packs. Enter the code off the back of the manual into the main systems store redeem area. All songs are downloaded.

Have any issues or I messed something up? Go to http://www.rockband.com/support/export-rock-band and it may be a little more clear.

Instruments

For RB3, just about any RB or GH instrument works for it for normal mode (Normal Guitar, Vocals, Normal Bass, Normal Drums, and Normal Keys

However, Pro Mode requires certain instruments or accessories to make work.

Pro Keys - Require either the official RB3 keyboard OR a midi adapter with a supported Midi Keyboard

Pro Drums - One of 3 ways. a Rock Band 2 / 3 / or Beatles Drum Kit with proper cymbal expansion kit bought, an Ion Drum Kit with Proper cymbals bought, or a midi adapter with supported midi drum brain.

Pro Guitar - One of 3 ways. Mustang controller (102 buttons works wirelessly), Midi Adapter kit along with the Fender Squire Guitar, or Midi Adapter with supported Midi Guitar (let me just say the last option there are maybe 1 or 2 choices from 3rd parties right now)

Pro Vocals (or harmonies) - Doesn't take any special hardware, though I just wanted to give them its own section to point out that you can use 3 mics at once. You can also use the Wireless Lips mics on the 360. Singing with multiple people = god tier at parties. The song also doesn't have to support harmonies to have 3 people sing, but you all do sing the same part. That alone is great for parties.

Stage Kit
WORKS in RB3 now. Is amazing and should be apart of every single Rock Band party. You seriously have no idea what you are missing out on until you try it. On that note, good luck finding it anymore as they went clearance and sold out months ago. Sorry bros.

That should be about all the main questions to get people started.

theBishop

Banned
I'll pick it up at some point for the tracklist (particularly At the Drive-In). I'm not going to feel rushed just because the price came down. My backlog is ridiculous enough as it is.

Z_Y

Really want this but can't find it for $20 other than Amazon ($25 shipped). I was hoping to find it locally so I would have it this weekend.

I remember paying $5 to import 1 into 2...but now it is $10? The fuck? And did I read the above post right...it is $10 per song from Lego RB? lol...surely that's a typo.

Still...$10 to import is a bit much. I'm assuming they've taken measures to block people from renting and importing? If so...they are basically bending over their customers. I'd rather use that $10 for new dlc. :-/

Top Bottom